Attn: New Xoom Users

Search This thread

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
For all you guys and gals looking to root and enjoy the goodness of custom ROMs and kernels, PLEASE don't go digging up ancient rooting methods and old, obsolete kernels and other ephemera. There are more old, outdated threads floating around page one in the Development Section and people are getting themselves in trouble, or at least frustrated with dead links, etc.

If you want to root or customize, make sure the method/ROM/Kernel at least works for your Honeycomb version.

If anyone started an older thread in Development that is outdated now, could you consider putting "obsolete" in the title, like Team Tiamat did with Manta Ray and Katana?

We're going to be seeing a lot of new development soon, so maybe we can clean up the joint a little? OK, I'm done now. :D

Reactions: Bairman

Bairman

Nov 15, 2011
Good call. I've had my Xoom since late September and it took me forever to figure out what was current here and what was not. I did figure it out though, and have my Xoom running exactly the same as in your sig. :)

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Good call. I've had my Xoom since late September and it took me forever to figure out what was current here and what was not. I did figure it out though, and have my Xoom running exactly the same as in your sig. :)
Good going! But it would have been nice if you could have put your finger right on the latest mods and guides, without fighting your way through all the flotsam, right?

Bairman

Nov 15, 2011
Good going! But it would have been nice if you could have put your finger right on the latest mods and guides, without fighting your way through all the flotsam, right?

Exactly... and that's why my first post to the forum was my response here. I'm usually a lurk and learn kinda guy, but your post was so apropos I had to chime in.

Jeffu

Nov 21, 2010
Hmm, since I picked up some of the new Adobe apps I've been thinking I should start allocating some time everyday to figure out how to root/install roms so I can OC my Xoom (I get a bit of lag here and there).

What would you guys recommend I do? Before I read this I was just about to dive into the numerous threads and poke around, but I can see myself following a possibly outdated method. Tiamat seems to be pretty popular, but with ICS coming soon, should I wait a bit to see if I can put that on my Xoom?

edit: should mention that I'm on 3.1 Wifi Xoom.

Last edited:

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Hmm, since I picked up some of the new Adobe apps I've been thinking I should start allocating some time everyday to figure out how to root/install roms so I can OC my Xoom (I get a bit of lag here and there).

What would you guys recommend I do? Before I read this I was just about to dive into the numerous threads and poke around, but I can see myself following a possibly outdated method. Tiamat seems to be pretty popular, but with ICS coming soon, should I wait a bit to see if I can put that on my Xoom?

You have a couple options-both good ones: you can root and install ClockworkMod Recovery and. the Tiamat Moray ROM and the new Odachi kernel using this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1249798 (get Odachi kernel from Development thread), and then wait a short time for our developers to cook up some ICS ROMS/kernels. Or, remain stock unrooted so you can get the ICS update OTA. Just be aware the unlocking will result in wiping your device and flashing a new rom will require a data wipe, so make sure to back-up everything. When you root, back-ups are much easier and restoration much more comprhensive--another great reason to root your Xoom.

Reactions: Jeffu

Jeffu

Nov 21, 2010
You have a couple options-both good ones: you can root and install ClockworkMod Recovery and. the Tiamat Moray ROM and the new Odachi kernel using this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1249798 (get Odachi kernel from Development thread), and then wait a short time for our developers to cook up some ICS ROMS/kernels. Or, remain stock unrooted so you can get the ICS update OTA. Just be aware the unlocking will result in wiping your device and flashing a new rom will require a data wipe, so make sure to back-up everything. When you root, back-ups are much easier and restoration much more comprhensive--another great reason to root your Xoom.

Thanks for the reply!

I never got too deep into rooting and roms; at most I've just used one of those one-click-root apps for my Captivate, but since I went 3.2 even that's unrooted now. :( I miss Titanium Backup.

I'm about to head to sleep so I haven't looked, but is it expected that our Xooms will get ICS? I mainly want a faster experience, but ICS looks pretty so I'd like to get that too without having to get a new device.

edit: I think I'll give that link a go tomorrow after work. :)

Bairman

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks for the reply!

I never got too deep into rooting and roms; at most I've just used one of those one-click-root apps for my Captivate, but since I went 3.2 even that's unrooted now. :( I miss Titanium Backup.

I'm about to head to sleep so I haven't looked, but is it expected that our Xooms will get ICS? I mainly want a faster experience, but ICS looks pretty so I'd like to get that too without having to get a new device.

edit: I think I'll give that link a go tomorrow after work. :)

okantomi's guide is great. It's what I ended up using. One point to note, if you're planning to use the Moray ROM, step five isn't necessary since Moray is pre-rooted. Adding the Odachi kernel makes it run velvety smooth.

Everything I've read says that not only will the Xoom get ICS, it may be the first tablet to get it.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
okantomi's guide is great. It's what I ended up using. One point to note, if you're planning to use the Moray ROM, step five isn't necessary since Moray is pre-rooted. Adding the Odachi kernel makes it run velvety smooth.

Everything I've read says that not only will the Xoom get ICS, it may be the first tablet to get it.
Thanks for the reminder. I'll make a note of it in the Guide. I don't want anyone to have to do any unneeded steps. It's complex as it is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For all you guys and gals looking to root and enjoy the goodness of custom ROMs and kernels, PLEASE don't go digging up ancient rooting methods and old, obsolete kernels and other ephemera. There are more old, outdated threads floating around page one in the Development Section and people are getting themselves in trouble, or at least frustrated with dead links, etc.

If you want to root or customize, make sure the method/ROM/Kernel at least works for your Honeycomb version.

If anyone started an older thread in Development that is outdated now, could you consider putting "obsolete" in the title, like Team Tiamat did with Manta Ray and Katana?

We're going to be seeing a lot of new development soon, so maybe we can clean up the joint a little? OK, I'm done now. :D

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone