General [Australia] Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G Discussion

Search This thread

raggamuffin

May 16, 2007
How is it? It says Dual SIM on the website. Is it Dual Physical SIM or SIM + eSIM?

My Phantom Silver 512GB model is single SIM. Was given an option to use eSIM but stayed with the physical SIM I had in my S9+.

Coming from the S9+ it's taken a while to retrain my brain to use the in-screen fingerprint scanner. :p

Other than that; the only annoying bug is the occasional switching back to the One UI 3.1 launcher (from Nova Prime).

Other than that, I'm very happy so far. I do miss having the option to use sdcard expansion. Transferred 3,500 odd photos and 5,000 odd MP3s from the S9 to the S21 and still have 75% free.

I tend to take far more still images than video so the physical storage limitation shouldn't cause me any issues but time will tell. :)

Last edited:

venki5star

My Phantom Silver 512GB model is single SIM. Was given an option to use eSIM but stayed with the physical SIM I had in my S9+.
Thanks for clarifying

Coming from the S9+ it's taken a while to retrain my brain to use the in-screen fingerprint scanner. :p
You will be ok within a week.

Other than that, I'm very happy so far. I do miss having the option to use sdcard expansion. Transferred 3,500 odd photos and 5,000 odd MP3s from the S9 to the S21 and still have 75% free.

I tend to take far more still images than video so the physical storage limitation shouldn't cause me any issues but time will tell. :)
Never been a problem. Always in cloud. I stopped using MP3s long time ago.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016

Other than that; the only annoying bug is the occasional switching back to the One UI 3.1 launcher (from Nova Prime).

I'm moving from Exynos S9+ too. How's battery life and general camera quality for you in comparison?

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
rant on Samsung Australia Twitter account

Why? I still find it really baffling that people blame Samsung for the delays. It's the carriers that hold the updates until they've completed testing. It's been that way for as long as there have been galaxy phones. Ranting makes 0 difference, if you want to make a change, don't buy the product, hit Samsung where it actually hurts so they can push carriers to fall in line to an update cycle like apple.

venki5star

Why? I still find it really baffling that people blame Samsung for the delays. It's the carriers that hold the updates until they've completed testing. It's been that way for as long as there have been galaxy phones. Ranting makes 0 difference, if you want to make a change, don't buy the product, hit Samsung where it actually hurts so they can push carriers to fall in line to an update cycle like apple.
Not everyone buys from carrier. I have Tab S7+ LTE & S21 Ultra bought outright from Samsung online. I don't buy from carriers for the reason you explained above. Samsung completely ignores centain countries in their release cycle.

I want to mention that, both Tab and Mobile got update on the same day after the morning rant. Could be coincidence but I posted my thought to them.

Why I have switch when I am completely ok with Android phones? If I switch, I am one in millions. For Samsung, its nothing. Because I bought Samsung, I didn't sell my soul to them and why I to be quite. If Apple can do it, Google can do it, Samsung can also do it.

Last edited:

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
Not everyone buys from carrier. I have Tab S7+ LTE & S21 Ultra bought outright from Samsung online. I don't buy from carriers for the reason you explained above. Samsung completely ignores centain countries in their release cycle.

You don't understand how it works in Australia then. Regardless of where you bought your phone (samsung, voda, telstra, optus) the carriers test the firmware before it's released <== process takes weeks.

Could be coincidence but I posted my thought to them.

100% coincidence. 100% those types of comments (your rant) have no impact on their process

If Apple can do it, Google can do it, Samsung can also do it.

Exactly. But Samsung has no vested interest in doing it when it doesn't impact them selling phones. You just said it, it doesn't stop you from buying the phone, despite you knowing that Australia releases later in the month. If people want a company to change, the most effective way is through $$$ <== don't buy their products so they know things need to change.

I'll also flag that Australia DOES get regular updates out in a timely manner i.e. it's the generally the same time each month. The issue for 'techie' people is that they know it's released in other parts of the world weeks earlier, then get annoyed about it.

If you're bothered by it, use Frija and Odin to flash the latest update manually, it's an easy process and ensures you're on the latest firmware.

venki5star

You don't understand how it works in Australia then. Regardless of where you bought your phone (samsung, voda, telstra, optus) the carriers test the firmware before it's released <== process takes weeks.
Actually you don't understand how it works. All your theory is only true for carrier customised and sold phones. Rest has no relationship. If you look at CSC of unlocked Australia, it different than what sold by Telstra, Optus, etc. Please do some research before you talk about it.

jigna

Dec 16, 2010
All your theory is only true for carrier customised and sold phones

Nope. None of the builds are even touched anymore since multi-csc came into play. But Aussie carriers (as in the wholesalers of the networks not the badge/csc of phone) won't allow the firmware to be pushed until they've ALL tested it. That INCLUDES XSA.

EDIT: changed wording to clarify badge/csc not brand of phone

Please do some research before you talk about it.

It's pretty amusing how wrong you are, but given how defensive you're getting, I'll drop it. If you think your ranting and annoyance has any impact, go for it - you keep fighting the fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: noone606

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, the April update, AUC8 started rolling out today.
    Besides the new camera update (in portrait mode), I noted that RCS is now enabled in Samsung Messages, using Googles Universal profile.

Anyone else got it too?

View attachment 5277801
    Who is your provider?
    Besides the new camera update (in portrait mode), I noted that RCS is now enabled in Samsung Messages, using Googles Universal profile.

Anyone else got it too?

View attachment 5277801
    Updated the phone and got RCS enabled to my Messages app too.
    Ordered mine on the 21st and in my hand on the 25th January (Vodafone).

Upgraded from an S9+ and very happy (so far).
    All your theory is only true for carrier customised and sold phones

Nope. None of the builds are even touched anymore since multi-csc came into play. But Aussie carriers (as in the wholesalers of the networks not the badge/csc of phone) won't allow the firmware to be pushed until they've ALL tested it. That INCLUDES XSA.

EDIT: changed wording to clarify badge/csc not brand of phone

Please do some research before you talk about it.

It's pretty amusing how wrong you are, but given how defensive you're getting, I'll drop it. If you think your ranting and annoyance has any impact, go for it - you keep fighting the fight.

Anyone else got it too?

View attachment 5277801
    Who is your provider?

Anyone else got it too?

View attachment 5277801
    Updated the phone and got RCS enabled to my Messages app too.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone