• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Australian Moto Z Play Thread

Search This thread

seedubya

Sep 7, 2013
Brisbane
This thread is open to all people however discussion will be kept to Australian issues related to the Moto Z Play.

To start of with has anyone bought one yet. It was only released here 3 days ago.

LloydGSR

May 8, 2011
I got one from Harvey Norman on Friday, got it down to $667. I've bought loads of phones and electronics stuff from overseas before, thought I'd get this locally because I've never had an issue so surely my luck will run out.

Incredible battery, great reception, Moto Display will not function at all even after factory resets but on the other hand, it's not distracting me flashing/breathing so I'm not too fussed about it. Feels like a house brick, l'm happy with it. People reckon the low light camera is crap. It's certainly not on par with say, an S7, but it's not as bad as people reckon.

LloydGSR

May 8, 2011
Good to know, I might get one this weekend! I really like this phone but $699 is a bit too expensive for me. The exact same model (Dual sim with same LTE bands) is only AUD480 from Amazon Mexico.
And you're right, the HTC 10 is at JB for $899 right now, which is a lot more phone for the money, and I very nearly got that instead, but decided I wanted the big battery. Try and talk them down a bit, they'll try and get extended warranty out of you for $120 or whatever though.

Like I said, sooner or later my luck would run out with these overseas purchases, but I've got a family now, I need a phone and I can't be stuffed with overseas warranty processes if it came to that. Everyone's different, I think Clove has them pretty cheap as well.

daft009

Jun 23, 2007
Sydney
$667 price is great!
thinking of using the amex/harvey cashback deal and get one myself.
only thing holding me back in the camera quality in low light, however anandtech's review seems to show its not as bad as what the rest of the 'net is saying.

ozblogger

May 14, 2014
Melbourne
Thinking of getting one too, using the AMEX cashback deal from HN
Although, I am currently using Nexus 6P on 7.0 - wondering if Z Play is a downgrade for me
I have read positive reviews all over though, and I sort of need a change from 6P (year old now)
What do current users suggest - keep my Nexus 6P or get the Z Play (the price is tempting, thanks to AMEX deal)

Milly7

Oct 21, 2010
Although, I am currently using Nexus 6P on 7.0 - wondering if Z Play is a downgrade for me
I have read positive reviews all over though, and I sort of need a change from 6P (year old now)
What do current users suggest - keep my Nexus 6P or get the Z Play (the price is tempting, thanks to AMEX deal)
I am currently using both phones. The Nexus 6P is so attractive due to latest software and features, especially with developer previews, but the Moto Z Play has been fantastic. I am a medium user, but with whatever optimization they have going the battery life is phenomenal! Off of the first charge I got over 4 days with 8+ hours screen time. Haven't noticed any performance hiccups but I am not a gamer. Received the phone on Friday and just charged it again this morning, Wednesday.

So the choice amounts to latest software faster or best battery life (at least that I have experienced on Android) ever.

Reactions: ozblogger

ozblogger

May 14, 2014
Melbourne
I am currently using both phones. The Nexus 6P is so attractive due to latest software and features, especially with developer previews, but the Moto Z Play has been fantastic. I am a medium user, but with whatever optimization they have going the battery life is phenomenal! Off of the first charge I got over 4 days with 8+ hours screen time. Haven't noticed any performance hiccups but I am not a gamer. Received the phone on Friday and just charged it again this morning, Wednesday.

So the choice amounts to latest software faster or best battery life (at least that I have experienced on Android) ever.

Thanks

Nexus 6P sort of renewed my interest with 7.0, but battery life has taken a turn for the worse, so yeah that's that. I guess I just need a change now, and MZP seems to be the best in price-range to be my daily driver for the next 12 months

I am curious though, are you evaluating yourself, which one you will keep in the long run ?

kira168

Oct 24, 2007
Just received my moto z play from HN for $660 (had $300 worth of gift cards so effectively paid $360). Worth trying to haggle with them now since both Officeworks and Good Guys also sells them and they sell the white models to boot unlike HN who only sells the Black model.

Milly7

Oct 21, 2010
Thanks

Nexus 6P sort of renewed my interest with 7.0, but battery life has taken a turn for the worse, so yeah that's that. I guess I just need a change now, and MZP seems to be the best in price-range to be my daily driver for the next 12 months

I am curious though, are you evaluating yourself, which one you will keep in the long run ?
I will keep the MZP. Nexus 6P is already listed for sale.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im not sure as its not available instore yet. Advertised but not available.