• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Authorizing ADB with broken screen on an unrooted phone

Search This thread

e-ew--w

May 2, 2019
My Xiaomi Mi 9T just fell and the screen now just flashes black and green. I'm sure that the phone is working but not so sure about the touch screen (can't see anything).

I wanted to access the screen from PC and recover my data but adb devices shows "unauthorized", and obviously I can't see the dialog box on the phone asking for adb authorization.

I already tried rebooting in recovery mode but trying to adb push the key to the device gives an error, and adb shell outputs "error: closed".

Installing a custom recovery afaik requires unlocked bootloader and unlocking it means losing all the data so that's not an option.

Am I 100% screwed or is there anything I didn't think of that could help?

cash_h

Apr 7, 2020
My Xiaomi Mi 9T just fell and the screen now just flashes black and green. I'm sure that the phone is working but not so sure about the touch screen (can't see anything).

I wanted to access the screen from PC and recover my data but adb devices shows "unauthorized", and obviously I can't see the dialog box on the phone asking for adb authorization.

I already tried rebooting in recovery mode but trying to adb push the key to the device gives an error, and adb shell outputs "error: closed".

Installing a custom recovery afaik requires unlocked bootloader and unlocking it means losing all the data so that's not an option.

Am I 100% screwed or is there anything I didn't think of that could help?

Unless you unauthorize adb from operating sytem you can't access it from recovery, unless you do adb sideload. One thing is that the screen doesn't display, an other that doesn't react to touches. Anyway adb backup will not backup everything. I recommend you to buy a counterfeit screen for $15 and replace it at least to power on and recover your data.