Auto brightness not working correctly

Search This thread

turtuv

Jul 6, 2013
Just tried it by covering the light sensor to make sure, no problem here (G935F). My only concern related to brightness is that the s7 just has auto brightness, but no adaptive brightness.

What's the difference between auto and adaptive?

When I'm in a light room the screen goes brighter but if I walk into a darker room, the screen doesn't dim unless I lock and then unlock the screen.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Exact same problem here. If I switch from an high luminosity environment to a very dark one, the screen doesn't dim and remains the same and I have to uncheck and check again the "auto" option on notification bar. Other times, in same conditions, it adapt the brightness after some times. Is there a way to fix it?

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011

With auto brightness it the screen brightness is just changing it's brightness to the given light conditions (basically moving the slider up and down based on the ambient lighting) so it does the same as you do when you change the position of the slider, just automatically based on a predefined set of lighting to brightness correlations and that's it, you do it manually or let the phone do it's thing.
With adaptive brightness it starts off the same way. But the big difference is, if you change the slider while it is active, you change the range in which the screen brightness is changed within given light conditions. Means, if the screen is to bright for your liking, you can lower it and it will not just keep it that way when you get to similar light conditions, it will also keep the brightness lower at other light conditions based on the change you made.
Simple put, if the light conditions are giving you 50% screen brightness at default settings and you change the slider to 40% with adaptive brightness enabled it will always just give you 40% brightness with the same lighting, but also 50% at lighting which would have given you 60% at default settings before and so on.
Samsung did even go a step further it seems, at least on some devices. There seems to be an enhanced algorithm which allows you to change the overall brightness based on the settings you made in different conditions, means if you lowered it at low light and raised it at bright conditions, it will try fit the other conditions to those settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: turtuv

turtuv

Jul 6, 2013
I mean, thank for the detailed explanations. But i don't understand why If I switch from an high luminosity environment to a very dark one, the screen doesn't dim and remains the same and I have to uncheck and check again the "auto" option on notification bar. Other times, in same conditions, it adapt the brightness after some times. Is my phone's sensor broken?

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Would love to answer you that, but I can't, sorry. Are you sure it isn't like @CuBz90 said and it is working, but just taking its time to change, when you have the device in hand? At least it doesn't sound like a defective sensor, but more like a software problem, because it does work, but just not always.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

turtuv

Jul 6, 2013
Would love to answer you that, but I can't, sorry. Are you sure it isn't like @CuBz90 said and it is working, but just taking its time to change, when you have the device in hand? At least it doesn't sound like a defective sensor, but more like a software problem, because it does work, but just not always.

Yes, it is taking time, but a lot of time. I don't think that 30"/1min is a normal time to switch from max brightness to min. It is a big environment light change, the phone should change the brightness faster.

Sended from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Gold Platinum

Tectas

Jul 26, 2011
Yes, it is taking time, but a lot of time. I don't think that 30"/1min is a normal time to switch from max brightness to min. It is a big environment light change, the phone should change the brightness faster.

Maybe @CuBz90 can shed some light on it how it was at his device, mine takes at max 2 or 3 seconds to change so yes, yours is taking way to long.

turtuv

Jul 6, 2013
Maybe @CuBz90 can shed some light on it how it was at his device, mine takes at max 2 or 3 seconds to change so yes, yours is taking way to long.

This happens only from bright environment to a dark one. How Can I see if it is an hardware problem?

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
Manchester
www.galaxys7.co.uk
This happens only from bright environment to a dark one. How Can I see if it is an hardware problem?

Placing the phone down (or just holding it at a horizontal angle) will make it readjust.

I am now using Echoe rom which fixed this issue.

Last edited:

turtuv

Jul 6, 2013
Placing the phone down (or just holding it at a horizontal angel) will make it readjust.

I am now using Echoe rom which fixed this issue.

So is this a software issue? Why some phone has it and some has not?

krico

Dec 19, 2009
Whyalla
Wow! I've just tested this and auto brightness ONLY works when the phone is lying in a flat position. The auto brightness settings for my phone adjust itself after exactly 3 seconds and as soon as I tilt the phone, it no longer dulls brightness until I lay it flat again.

turtuv

Jul 6, 2013
Wow! I've just tested this and auto brightness ONLY works when the phone is lying in a flat position. The auto brightness settings for my phone adjust itself after exactly 3 seconds and as soon as I tilt the phone, it no longer dulls brightness until I lay it flat again.
So when I hold the phone in my hands I always have to set the brightness slide manually? I noticed that my phone doesn't remember the brightness level which I set, I have always touch the slide and besides that it doesn't seems so adaptive.

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

grasuxxl1

Apr 28, 2013
I don´t like that the slider moves with the auto bright!In the s4 and s6 edge+ it stays where you put it and the brightness goes up and down depending the light...

ring200

Sep 9, 2016
I am pretty sure I figured out what is happening. If you go from a very high light area to a darker area, the brightness changes very quickly. BUT if you go from a medium brightness area to a low brightness area, it doesn't change right away, unless you set the phone down as people have been saying.
This is probably so if you move the angle of you phone while holding it, or you are near windows or outside where the brightness can change quickly due to cloud cover, it prevents it from changing brightness too quickly because it would be annoying.
Test this by holding it next to light bulb. The closer you hold it by it, the higher the brightness will get.

Last edited:

VikingVrede

Nov 28, 2016
Yeah, i have samsung galaxy s6 edge plus. and same issue here. It's only the Edge serie that has this problem.. I have waited over 1 year now for a update fix from samsung. Nothing yet..... Even tried sending it to "T-mobile" for them to fix it.
recent released software update i saw that they noted in "Display option" You can't turn up the brightness anymore because phone can over heat. Something in that style. Whats even more hailarious, in that case you can't use the phone outside or have the front face cam pointed at any light source.

This is very low from samsung... ! YOU ARE NOT GETTING WHAT YOU PAID FOR. i would not be surprised if someone took time to sue samsung about this and make them do a recall ( Like they did with note 7 )on all edge phones.
Not only is color and brightness a problem with this phone because of this bug, it affects the smoothness of the graphics aswell. Once again SAMSUNG HOW ARE YOU THINKING?

dabunnny77

Jun 12, 2010
Chino, CA
Found my problem

When I'm in a light room the screen goes brighter but if I walk into a darker room, the screen doesn't dim unless I lock and then unlock the screen.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Wierdest thing. My auto brightness feature doesn't work. Today, I found out why. (This may or may not be anyone else's problem.

It's my case. When the phone is in the case the auto feature doesn't work, however when I take it out it works within seconds. Try it. I hope this helps someone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Uncheck the auto box and recheck. Then don't touch the slider. It's usually because in marshmallow the slider moves with the auto bright and most people touch it which makes it hold position.
    It works, just takes some time to adjust to the lighting. Maybe the default settings are set to a certain time. Maybe with root we can adjust this..

It seems to only do it quickly when the device is lay down (as 954wrecker said). Maybe Samsung did that so it doesn't annoy you when using your phone.

With auto brightness it the screen brightness is just changing it's brightness to the given light conditions (basically moving the slider up and down based on the ambient lighting) so it does the same as you do when you change the position of the slider, just automatically based on a predefined set of lighting to brightness correlations and that's it, you do it manually or let the phone do it's thing.
    With adaptive brightness it starts off the same way. But the big difference is, if you change the slider while it is active, you change the range in which the screen brightness is changed within given light conditions. Means, if the screen is to bright for your liking, you can lower it and it will not just keep it that way when you get to similar light conditions, it will also keep the brightness lower at other light conditions based on the change you made.
    Simple put, if the light conditions are giving you 50% screen brightness at default settings and you change the slider to 40% with adaptive brightness enabled it will always just give you 40% brightness with the same lighting, but also 50% at lighting which would have given you 60% at default settings before and so on.
    Samsung did even go a step further it seems, at least on some devices. There seems to be an enhanced algorithm which allows you to change the overall brightness based on the settings you made in different conditions, means if you lowered it at low light and raised it at bright conditions, it will try fit the other conditions to those settings.