• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

auto focus photo not sharp

Search This thread

krz_ayman

Dec 28, 2009
hi everyone, since I have the note 20 ultra, I take pictures in automatic mode but I see that the focus is only on the central part and blur the sides. I then have to press on the screen and do the manual focus so that it makes the image sharp on the left or right side but then the other side is blurred. do you also have this problem?

if you look closely at the writings on the electrical panel on the left are blurry and the center is sharp. and in the second photo I put the focus on the writings on the left to make them clear

N986B @ Stock

https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2020/10/23/201023090624299060.jpg

https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2020/10/23/20102309072944981.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-N986B en utilisant Tapatalk

coilbio

Apr 22, 2011
There's a narrow focus plane with large camera sensors and the lens it has.
It will focus on a certain distance and everything before or after will blur, it's physics nothing can be done really.

fjorger

Jun 10, 2008
Lisbon
I had the same experience and frustration in the very first days of usage. And thinking it could be a dirty glass [emoji848].

But all comments so far are right on, the (very narrow) depth of field of the Note 20 Ultra main camera is a direct result of its big sensor.
And a welcome side effect is the ”portrait nice background blur” that no other phone is currently achieving (without using the ”less good” software trick).
Unfortunately because it doesn't have an iris (like a lens in a real camera, or like Note 9 ”although a gimmick because only two steps”), you can't increase the aperture, to gain more depth of field (like we all do on a real camera ”no one takes landscape pictures using 2.0 or 2.8, but instead 8, or higher”).

So either you increase the distance (bad if you want a close up picture) or use the Telephoto camera (5x) and be limited to 12M pixel and and the need for more light.

Regards...

Sent from my SM-N9860 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

krz_ayman

Dec 28, 2009
ok thank you i understand what you are saying. it is then a real problem because the photos in short plan are still not clear in the details. and it is not normal that such a phone at 1300 € cannot have close-up sharpness in auto mode and that you have to play with the settings to have it at the expense of one side of the photo. ditto here I do not know to have a clear picture on the whole. on this side I clearly regret my rating 10+

The M-Bus is clearly not legible ... it's a real big problem I doubt that the other high-end even if they have a wide angle sensor.

krz_ayman

Dec 28, 2009
Samsung in decline ... [emoji36] I'm honestly not surprised to see the score on DX0MARK every nearby photo is still blurred on the background and it's really annoying ... I don't know if I'm going to continue with this phone. waiting for Android 11 20201118_105145.jpg

krz_ayman

Dec 28, 2009
A little trick. The volume up button on most camera apps will shoot an image. That is true of the Camera app on iPhone, and two other even more powerful paid iOS apps, ProCamera and Camera+. Perhaps other readers might advise on which camera apps can do this on Android.

So once you have tapped on the area you want to focus on, grip the camera with a finger on the volume up button, frame nicely and squ-e-e-ze.

You can also plug in headphones that have volume controls and press that volume up button to shoot while you hold your camera in the other hand.

Those techniques should cure the blur if it is due to shakiness as you press the on-screen shutter button. The other two critical elements are good lighting and a clean lens.
hi, thank you but on my note 10+ I did not have this problem, and it is clear not normal to have to install other camera applications to try to correct this, I hold my phone very clean and here I have in addition to the flash and lighting and a flashlight.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Try taking pic from a distance. Large sensor isn't good for close up shots

Fast lense have short focal planes. You can't stop these cams down to an f/5.6-8.0 so....
Back up; a few inches (if a macro) or a few feet can make big difference.
This is simple optics not a defective cam.
You need to learn to see as the cam does and shoot accordingly.
All cameras and lens have limitations.
I've shot a lot with the Canon 50L f/1.2 wide open. Many complain about this lense but I've gotten superb grabs with it because I worked within it's limits and capitalize on it's strengths such as flare control and low light street shooting.

seczdbz

Aug 24, 2020
Usually a 2x suggestion will pop up on mine...if it does tap that and move back a little, it fixes my blurred edge problem. It's just the sensor itself is so big as stated previously. This took me a few days to get used to as well.