Auto switch between FHD @120hz & WQHD @60Hz on per app basis

Search This thread

Fatmonk8

Dec 16, 2010
Holmes
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8 Pro
UPDATE 09/12/20

EDIT: LOOKS LIKE BIXBY ROUTINES WAS UPDATED TO SUPPORT MOTION SMOOTHNESS AND SCREEN RESOLUTION AUTO SWITCHING, SO NO NEED FOR THE DYNAMIC DISPLAY APP OR ADB ANYMORE!

SETUP BIXBY ROUTINE

• Settings
  • Advanced features
  • Bixby Routines
  • Add (+)
  • You can add an application (app opened) of your choice or whatever else you want
  • Under display you can select Motion Smoothness and Screen resolution
  • (In my case I selected Standard and WQHD+ for YouTube)
  • No need to create an exit routine, when you leave the app it will revert back to your original settings (in my case FHD+ Adaptive)

WSh0V3t.jpg

ZKBEjXl.jpg

wXjpDLF.jpg

mu0C7i4.jpg

3aKtUAR.jpg

Q86I2bi.jpg

8i02dfD.jpg

Last edited:

SYM_X

Feb 15, 2013
This doesn't seem to work for me. When it is supposed to switch back to 1080p 120hz (adaptive refresh) , it changes to 1080p 60hz (standard refresh).

Fatmonk8

Dec 16, 2010
Holmes
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8 Pro
This doesn't seem to work for me. When it is supposed to switch back to 1080p 120hz (adaptive refresh) , it changes to 1080p 60hz (standard refresh).
You need to use the app that I linked. The link takes you too a reddit page where you need to get it from Github. Thats the app for the FPS. The Bixby routine is only for the resolution and only have of the steps needed.

SYM_X

Feb 15, 2013
You need to use the app that I linked. The link takes you too a reddit page where you need to get it from Github. Thats the app for the FPS. The Bixby routine is only for the resolution and only have of the steps needed.
I downloaded it the app, did the adb commands. I think I followed the instructions correctly. Still didn't work.

Fatmonk8

Dec 16, 2010
Holmes
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8 Pro
I've used tasker profile to simply force some apps under 60hz
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s20/how-to/force-app-to-run-120hz-t4053133
I think adaptive refresh is not fully optimised
https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note20_ultra_5g-review-2149p3.php
and that causes the bad battery drain. Since I've implemented the tasker routine battery now drains normally. Hopefully next firmware update fixes it.
Nice, but the goal with this is to force the resolution to change from 1080p to 1440p and vice-versa. The fps is to just reset 1080p back to 120hz automatically since it defaults to 60hz when switched back.

Last edited:

Fatmonk8

Dec 16, 2010
Holmes
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8 Pro
This is awesome, thank you! Does the 96hz refresh rate work as well?

I haven't tried the 96hz personally, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as your in 1080p. I don't think there is an option for 96hz in the default refresh rate setting so it be per app.

You could set it and try the UFO FPS test to see if its actually 96hz.

Last edited:

brockyneo

Jan 17, 2010
In The Matrix
Hi whats the correct way of setting up bixby routines because I set YouTube vanced to work with wqhd and in the stats for nerds it works perfectly

But when I exit YouTube it does go back to fhd but doesn't automatically swith on adaptive smoothing

Fatmonk8

Dec 16, 2010
Holmes
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hi whats the correct way of setting up bixby routines because I set YouTube vanced to work with wqhd and in the stats for nerds it works perfectly

But when I exit YouTube it does go back to fhd but doesn't automatically swith on adaptive smoothing
Thats what you need the Dynamic Display app for. Bixby routines will only switch the resolution. You need to use both Bixby Routines and Dynamic Display in conjunction.

Its explained in the main post.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra using XDA Labs

valamer

I can't make this work, each version I get the same result.

I have the Bixby Routine set up, which works flawlessly.

But once I exit back to system the display does drop to FHD but only at Standard (60Hz).
I have set the default Hz in the Dynamic Display to 120 Hz, and I have enabled both the WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS and the Accessibility option for Dynamic Display but still it doesn't work. :(

Fatmonk8

Dec 16, 2010
Holmes
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 8 Pro
I can't make this work, each version I get the same result.

I have the Bixby Routine set up, which works flawlessly.

But once I exit back to system the display does drop to FHD but only at Standard (60Hz).
I have set the default Hz in the Dynamic Display to 120 Hz, and I have enabled both the WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS and the Accessibility option for Dynamic Display but still it doesn't work. :(
What version? There is only one Dynamic Display apk i posted?

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE 09/12/20

EDIT: LOOKS LIKE BIXBY ROUTINES WAS UPDATED TO SUPPORT MOTION SMOOTHNESS AND SCREEN RESOLUTION AUTO SWITCHING, SO NO NEED FOR THE DYNAMIC DISPLAY APP OR ADB ANYMORE!

SETUP BIXBY ROUTINE

• Settings
    • Advanced features
    • Bixby Routines
    • Add (+)
    • You can add an application (app opened) of your choice or whatever else you want
    • Under display you can select Motion Smoothness and Screen resolution
    • (In my case I selected Standard and WQHD+ for YouTube)
    • No need to create an exit routine, when you leave the app it will revert back to your original settings (in my case FHD+ Adaptive)

WSh0V3t.jpg

ZKBEjXl.jpg

wXjpDLF.jpg

mu0C7i4.jpg

3aKtUAR.jpg

Q86I2bi.jpg

8i02dfD.jpg
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android