• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Automatically display Android Auto on car screen when connected

Search This thread

ilgaspa

Apr 1, 2010
Hi,

As I'm going to move from carplay to android auto in a few weeks I'd like to ask every user with an android auto compatible headunit a simple.. maybe silly.. question :)

When connecting my iphone to the car headunit, it automatically switches to the carplay source and displays carplay. This for every maker video I've found, Pioneer, Kenwood.. the behaviour is Connect the phone->switches to carplay automatically.

The question is.. does Android auto do the same? In every video I saw the phone when connected displays a screen like "touch android auto icon on your headunit to start android auto". I'm starting to think that by design android auto wants you to manually select it from the headunit screen... :|

Would someone tell me if there's a setting in the app? Or share his/hers experience?
I'd like to know expecially how it works on anything not from Pioneer (Sony, Kenwood or manufacturer specific like Seat, Honda).. Is there a way to switch automatically to android auto on connection, like carplay does?

TLS2000

Feb 20, 2012
Mississauga
From my experience, my phone automatically opens and uses Android Auto when I plug it in. Only exception was the first time it connected, as I had to allow it permissions on the phone.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Nova5

Dec 30, 2008
Hi,

As I'm going to move from carplay to android auto in a few weeks I'd like to ask every user with an android auto compatible headunit a simple.. maybe silly.. question :)

When connecting my iphone to the car headunit, it automatically switches to the carplay source and displays carplay. This for every maker video I've found, Pioneer, Kenwood.. the behaviour is Connect the phone->switches to carplay automatically.

The question is.. does Android auto do the same? In every video I saw the phone when connected displays a screen like "touch android auto icon on your headunit to start android auto". I'm starting to think that by design android auto wants you to manually select it from the headunit screen... :|

Would someone tell me if there's a setting in the app? Or share his/hers experience?
I'd like to know expecially how it works on anything not from Pioneer (Sony, Kenwood or manufacturer specific like Seat, Honda).. Is there a way to switch automatically to android auto on connection, like carplay does?
Apple in their arrogance pushes you to use it..Google assumes you want to choose. Me I want to have AA auto start on the hu. Honestly they should provide the user with the choice to auto start the interface app on the hu.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

ilgaspa

Apr 1, 2010
Me too. So it is as I assume, android auto doesn't autostart :| (only on pioneer headunits it does, but it seems a pioneer choice)

pinnewip

Dec 12, 2008
Opwijk
I found an interesting option in the developer settings, you can enable video focus on startup, the result of this setting is that the screen on my skoda columbus headunit is switch automatically to android auto. Without the setting I have to go via the menu to see this screen.
To enable developer settings, google for 'how-to-enable-developer-settings-on-android-auto'

Reactions: SteveI

war1

Mar 17, 2011
I found an interesting option in the developer settings, you can enable video focus on startup, the result of this setting is that the screen on my skoda columbus headunit is switch automatically to android auto. Without the setting I have to go via the menu to see this screen.
To enable developer settings, google for 'how-to-enable-developer-settings-on-android-auto'

Thanks for the great tip. It works perfectly.

Bmos91

Feb 2, 2016

No effect on Hyundai Genesis 2015 Premium ?

JWadle

Aug 19, 2007
Boulder, Colorado
Can't find this setting in Developer Options. Can you tell me what version of Android you're using and the specific name of the option? Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

leonkernan

Mar 5, 2015
Melbourne

JWadle

Aug 19, 2007
Boulder, Colorado
Developer options in the Android Auto app, not the main Android settings.
Tap 10 times on the blue title bar in the about screen to enable it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/271132/how-to-enable-developer-settings-on-android-auto/

Thanks! I've been looking for a way to do this for months. Works perfectly with my Pixel XL and VW MIB II system.
I've posted this solution on several other AA forums and credited you with the find.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Developer options in the Android Auto app, not the main Android settings.
Tap 10 times on the blue title bar in the about screen to enable it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/271132/how-to-enable-developer-settings-on-android-auto/

Thanks! I've been looking for a way to do this for months. Works perfectly with my Pixel XL and VW MIB II system.
I've posted this solution on several other AA forums and credited you with the find.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry pinnewip, I credited the wrong poster for this solution. You have been credited in the other forum posts I've made.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.