Question Avoid keyboard burn-in

Search This thread

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
Dark mode will help reduce it, but I leave my phone set to auto switch light and dark mode based on sunrise and sunset, this way whatever app I'm using also switches, so the light and dark apps, flip button colours as well so anything white on a black screen also becomes black on a white screen so it helps reverse any burnin in that sense too.

For example, texting apps usually also have white icons at the top which can burn in with dark mode, so if you switch to light mode, the same icons are now black on a white screen, so the screen burns but the icons don't, so it all slowly burns in together and nothing becomes noticeable.

Been doing this after getting burnin on my S10+ using only darkmode and light icons left burnin. And then on my S20 Ultra I did the flipping light and dark mode and never had issues but I also had the full screen settings to hide the pinhole camera so it made the entire top black, and then One UI 3.0 came out and they removed that option so now you can't hide the pinhole camera and I had a burnin bar across the top from where it was black lol.
Now on my S21 Ultra I have the light and dark mode set to flip at sun rise and sun set, and I can't hide the pin hole so maybe third phone is the charm here and I won't have any burnin at all this time haha.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: ab7casper

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
There is no burn in with AMOLEDs; they have a finite lifespan and get dimmer as they age before finally failing after many 10's of thousands hours.
Don't over drive them by using them at maximum or near maximum levels.
High energy blue pixels are the most susceptible to damage, red the least because of its longer wavelength.

Use manual brightness control. Avoid going much over 50%.
Using full brightness reduces pixel lifespan as probably does high temperatures ie direct sunlight.
Limit usage at full brightness by the second*.
Using manual control ensures you're aware of it and keeps the phone from auto jacking it up on you when not really needed.
Turn it down in low light; don't burn out your retina's as they aren't replaceable.
Use dark mode whenever possible. Use dark or black wallpaper. You Good Lock to get rid of the stutus bar icons; simply use the pull down notification screen.

My 10+ gets heavy usage every day with a lot of keyboard time. At 15+ months there is no discernible weakness or dead pixels of any color at any brightness level.

*this is especially important with static images

Last edited:

sesnut

Jun 11, 2012
Dark mode will help reduce it, but I leave my phone set to auto switch light and dark mode based on sunrise and sunset, this way whatever app I'm using also switches, so the light and dark apps, flip button colours as well so anything white on a black screen also becomes black on a white screen so it helps reverse any burnin in that sense too.

For example, texting apps usually also have white icons at the top which can burn in with dark mode, so if you switch to light mode, the same icons are now black on a white screen, so the screen burns but the icons don't, so it all slowly burns in together and nothing becomes noticeable.

Been doing this after getting burnin on my S10+ using only darkmode and light icons left burnin. And then on my S20 Ultra I did the flipping light and dark mode and never had issues but I also had the full screen settings to hide the pinhole camera so it made the entire top black, and then One UI 3.0 came out and they removed that option so now you can't hide the pinhole camera and I had a burnin bar across the top from where it was black lol.
Now on my S21 Ultra I have the light and dark mode set to flip at sun rise and sun set, and I can't hide the pin hole so maybe third phone is the charm here and I won't have any burnin at all this time haha.

Hope this helps.

you say you had burn in from keeping a black bar in the area where the pinhole was?
that doesnt make any sense. If it was black those pixels were off and there wouldnt be any burn in

ಠ_ಠ

Reactions: Rooter91

bANONYMOUS

Dec 30, 2011
Canada, Earth.
If it was black those pixels were off and there wouldnt be any burn in

Reverse burn in, the screen area being used has a yellowish tone to it from being worn in over time, no matter how long the display is on, it's always burning in and the colour always adjusts over time from the burn in, it's the image retention burn in that people talk about, but the entire screen is always burning the entire time it's used. So by never using the top area the pixels are fresh and have a cooler tone to them than the rest of the screen as a result of this.

Reactions: Limeybastard

Limeybastard

This is a good one. đŸ˜‚ Says something about fast charging and not showing this message again. Guess they forgot to check don’t show again.

Attachments

• BC567B62-180A-49B4-9563-CCA5D4B939F8.jpeg
    BC567B62-180A-49B4-9563-CCA5D4B939F8.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 120
  • F563C2B7-288B-4A77-951D-BF20AFACA9D4.jpeg
    F563C2B7-288B-4A77-951D-BF20AFACA9D4.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 118

Joloxx9

Jul 6, 2011
UK
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
No offence but:
Pay 1.2K for phone after you see super HDR, huge brightness etc. and then limit everything to minimum? Seriously?

If I see them, I will ask EE(my phone provider) to replace it. I had same issue with OP 7 Pro, screen burn ins, they have replaced phone.

Limeybastard

No offence but:
Pay 1.2K for phone after you see super HDR, huge brightness etc. and then limit everything to minimum? Seriously?

If I see them, I will ask EE(my phone provider) to replace it. I had same issue with OP 7 Pro, screen burn ins, they have replaced phone.
Some countries like the UK have better consumer laws than others.

kpwnApps

Mar 8, 2019
Hello all, my past 3 AMOLED phones have been facing burn-in where the keyboard is displayed as I tend to chat a lot! Can anyone give me an option to avoid it? Please don't troll and say use less keyboard!đŸ˜‘
From normal use there will be no burnin. However, if you keep your display on showing the keboard all the time it will burn in. Also pixels start to burn in once they are on

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Mate - I had burn ins on my screen from things like clock etc, you cannot get rid of them, and it is a design flown, as long there is nothing in instruction etc.
Samsung shifts the AOD clock to help prevent this. However I use only tap on AOD now.
Perps know the deal, organic LEDs have a finite lifespan. Yeah you can drive your car as fast as it will go but you probably don't because you know it wouldn't last very long.
You wonder why the price tag keeps going up?
Freebies are never free.

Using in direct sunlight or at 80+% is just asking for it. In most cases completely avoidable. One can at least limit the time of use at full brightness and not have a homescreen that looks like a Vegas billboard.

Joloxx9

Jul 6, 2011
UK
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Samsung shifts the AOD clock to help prevent this. However I use only tap on AOD now.
Perps know the deal, organic LEDs have a finite lifespan. Yeah you can drive your car as fast as it will go but you probably don't because you know it wouldn't last very long.
You wonder why the price tag keeps going up?
Freebies are never free.

Using in direct sunlight or at 80+% is just asking for it. In most cases completely avoidable. One can at least limit the time of use at full brightness and not have a homescreen that looks like a Vegas billboard.
So they should not sell them in countries like Spain etc as there is too much sun

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
So they should not sell them in countries like Spain etc as there is too much sun
I live in Texas desert, the sun here is intense.
It burns out LED traffic lights all the time; OLEDs are far less tolerant.
Simply use in the shade.
The individual pixels are microscopic. That they work at all is amazing let alone being capable of high lumen output with extremely excellent color/gamma rendering.

The AMOLED matrix has 10's of thousands of active solid state components not just the OLED pixels themselves. All are hest sensitive plus the fact the display is helping to dissipate mobo heat while producing heat of it's own. The most heat sensitive component, the OLED is smack on top of this glass heatsink*.
Direct sunlight in especially high ambient temperatures is a real bad plan. You can fry any display like this.

Know, understand and respect their limitations. You will be rewarded with a long lived gorgeous display.

*glass is a good thermal insulator. Do tempered glass protective screens increase the thermal burden? Most likely. If cool at first the added mass will be protective but once the device (or the sun) heats that mass up things will go down hill from there and the display temperature will rapidly climb.

Limeybastard

I live in Texas desert, the sun here is intense.
It burns out LED traffic lights all the time; OLEDs are far less tolerant.
Simply use in the shade.
The individual pixels are microscopic. That they work at all is amazing let alone being capable of high lumen output with extremely excellent color/gamma rendering.

The AMOLED matrix has 10's of thousands of active solid state components not just the OLED pixels themselves. All are hest sensitive plus the fact the display is helping to dissipate mobo heat while producing heat of it's own. The most heat sensitive component, the OLED is smack on top of this glass heatsink*.
Direct sunlight in especially high ambient temperatures is a real bad plan. You can fry any display like this.

Know, understand and respect their limitations. You will be rewarded with a long lived gorgeous display.

*glass is a good thermal insulator. Do tempered glass protective screens increase the thermal burden? Most likely. If cool at first the added mass will be protective but once the device (or the sun) heats that mass up things will go down hill from there and the display temperature will rapidly climb.
And this was me think you lived in the Mojave desert.

• Love
Reactions: blackhawk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is no burn in with AMOLEDs; they have a finite lifespan and get dimmer as they age before finally failing after many 10's of thousands hours.
    Don't over drive them by using them at maximum or near maximum levels.
    High energy blue pixels are the most susceptible to damage, red the least because of its longer wavelength.

Use manual brightness control. Avoid going much over 50%.
    Using full brightness reduces pixel lifespan as probably does high temperatures ie direct sunlight.
    Limit usage at full brightness by the second*.
    Using manual control ensures you're aware of it and keeps the phone from auto jacking it up on you when not really needed.
    Turn it down in low light; don't burn out your retina's as they aren't replaceable.
    Use dark mode whenever possible. Use dark or black wallpaper. You Good Lock to get rid of the stutus bar icons; simply use the pull down notification screen.

My 10+ gets heavy usage every day with a lot of keyboard time. At 15+ months there is no discernible weakness or dead pixels of any color at any brightness level.

*this is especially important with static images
    Might help if you keep the brightness on the lower side, other than that seems like catch22
    This is a good one. đŸ˜‚ Says something about fast charging and not showing this message again. Guess they forgot to check don’t show again.
    Also choose a darker theme for the keyboard.
    And this was me think you lived in the Mojave desert.
    Don't remind me. The Mojave is sublime.