• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Awesome Start Honeycomb Replacement [WVGA ONLY] - Cab now included!

Search This thread

JoeWilcox

Feb 3, 2008
I'm on of those guys who hates the windows 6.5 Honeycomb menus. So after reading some points here I changed mine. Now you can to!

AwesomeStart is a modification to WM 6.5 that gives you a nice simple list that's fun and easy to use. Just install the cab and you're good to do.

Better yet, couple it with JSPA's Program Manager and my own Start Menu Sorter and you'll have the best menu in town.

Click here For JSPA's Program Manager

Click here for Start Menu Sorter

Note this is for WVGA (480x800) devices running Windows Mobile 6.5 and supports both Portrait and Landscape.

- Update - Sorry, forgot the cab file.. now it's attached.

Attachments

• AwesomeStart1.jpg
    AwesomeStart1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 17,224
  • AwesomeStart.CAB
    893.2 KB · Views: 6,177
Last edited:

patrickrivard

Oct 14, 2007
Not Working...

I just tried your app on my TP2 CDMA with Mighty Mike 6.5 ROM and it does not appear to work unless there is something I'm missing.... but it seemed pretty strait forward...

Any ideas or comments?

kuzibri

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 25, 2008
Not working either

tried but does not work on my HD2

JoeWilcox

Feb 3, 2008
Weird.. the only thing I can think of is for some reason the cab refuses to overwrite files in your windows directory. I'll attach just the source files. Just unzip them and copy the files in to the \Windows directory on your device.

Last edited:

bukwit

Jan 28, 2005
London
Copied the contents of zip file and then did a soft reset but doesnt seem to work on the HD2

Last edited:

JoeWilcox

Feb 3, 2008
Strange about the HD2. Can you see what StartMenu_GridScene files you have in your windows directory? Maybe they are by a different name.

mallman

Aug 17, 2008
Strange about the HD2. Can you see what StartMenu_GridScene files you have in your windows directory? Maybe they are by a different name.

nope, they are the same name, just verified. I can confirm it isnt working for my HD2 either

** edit
and can also confirm that the files in your cab are now in the windows folder. Backed up the old ones and the new ones have different modified dates

Last edited:

bukwit

Jan 28, 2005
London

They are by the same name but there are also the following files which may or may not require modifying..

StartMenuCust_480x800.cpr
StartMenuCust_800x480.cpr
StartMenu_Global_800x480.cpr
StartMenu_Global_480x800.cpr

Last edited:

mallman

Aug 17, 2008
ok i figured it out guys, i attached a zip containing the 2 files that also have to be included. just copy these into your windows folder along with the cab in post 1. Please include them in a new cab (if you like of course).

bukwit

Jan 28, 2005
London
ok i figured it out guys, i attached a zip containing the 2 files that also have to be included. just copy these into your windows folder along with the cab in post 1. Please include them in a new cab (if you like of course).

Thank you mallman...confirmed working. And thanks to the OP

Laos101

Mar 31, 2009
NY, Long Island
worked after adding those extra files, thanks!

Also, curious if we can have the ability to get 2 columns in the landscape, since Its a waste of space to have only 2-3 on one view, so its also an even amount (Same amount seen in portrait as landscape)

JoeWilcox

Feb 3, 2008
So it seems that some roms use StartMenuCust_xxxx to get the grid layouts but not all of them. I've rebuild the cab and included the duplicates. Give this a try and see if it installs and fixes the problem on the HD2's.

Also, curious if we can have the ability to get 2 columns in the landscape, since Its a waste of space to have only 2-3 on one view, so its also an even amount (Same amount seen in portrait as landscape)
Today 08:52 PM

I've already been there and personally I didn't like it. You can edit the files yourself. They are pretty simple to work with. If you make them, feel free to PM me and I'll put them on the top of the page.

Vga pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase!

If there is enough demand I'll create them for a VGA device though I don't have one to test. I want to say someone else did already but when I searched I couldn't find it. I