Axon 7 Can access TWRP but cannot get into bootloader menu

Search This thread

DNYO31

Apr 21, 2021
So my current phone recently broke. So I decided to dust of my old Axon 7 which was still using Android 6.0.1. A bit old for these days since a lot of apps won't work. The best thing I could think of was to install a different rom. After a lot of work I finally managed to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP. Then I tried to flash a rom but to no avail. I have tried many things and now I can access only TWRP and EDL through ADB. I cannot access the Bootloader menu anymore. Does anyone know what to do next? How can I fix this and try to flash something again?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I currently have the most recent version of TWRP installed. And the flashing error I get is Error 7, Googled that and tried every "fix" but none of them worked. Another strange thing is that my phone used to be A2017G, but now when I connect it to my pc it shows up as A2017U, Is this a driver issue or did I change something unintended?

Last edited:

klałn

Nov 6, 2016
You can also boot to EDL from TWRP in terminal (reboot edl) and dfu/edl mode by pressing vol up+vol down and power button.
If your phone boot in dfu mode, use EDL Tool by djkuz.

Don't worry if it show up as A2017U - you won't lose any bands.
You didn't wrote much so I won't help.

Axon 7 scene is a little messed up. I'm getting lost in it myself. We've probably got 3 or 4 different twrp recoveries for different roms.

- official twrp from twrp.me website, compiled with marshmallow zte kernel for ailsa_ii - for stock roms, up to nougat.
- unofficial for ailsa_ii - for custom roms, up to nougat

Then, I don't know when, but device codename was changed from ailsa_ii to axon7.

- unofficial nfound/oki lab compiled with oreo zte kernel for axon7 - for oreo stock roms
- unofficial oki lab/twrp 3.2.3 for axon7 - for oreo/pie custom roms

Don't use twrp for oreo/pie roms on nougat bootstack.

There are two 3.2.3 twrp recoveries. One with vendor support, which isn't available anymore in LOS 16.0 thread, I attached it.
Other one without vendor support - from LOS 15.1 thread.
It doesn't change much. You will just gain an option to mount vendor partition in twrp.

Oki lab twrp for custom roms has a party tool for creating vendor partiton.
You can also use Party v0.5 script, to create vendor partition in twrp 3.2.3.

512MB vendor - for LOS and most custom roms
800MB vendor - for some old custom roms made by nfound

Attachments

• twrp-3.2.3-0-axon7.img
    22.5 MB · Views: 5

DNYO31

Apr 21, 2021
You can also boot to EDL from TWRP in terminal (reboot edl) and dfu/edl mode by pressing vol up+vol down and power button.
If your phone boot in dfu mode, use EDL Tool by djkuz.

Don't worry if it show up as A2017U - you won't lose any bands.
You didn't wrote much so I won't help.

Axon 7 scene is a little messed up. I'm getting lost in it myself. We've probably got 3 or 4 different twrp recoveries for different roms.

- official twrp from twrp.me website, compiled with marshmallow zte kernel for ailsa_ii - for stock roms, up to nougat.
- unofficial for ailsa_ii - for custom roms, up to nougat

Then, I don't know when, but device codename was changed from ailsa_ii to axon7.

- unofficial nfound/oki lab compiled with oreo zte kernel for axon7 - for oreo stock roms
- unofficial oki lab/twrp 3.2.3 for axon7 - for oreo/pie custom roms

Don't use twrp for oreo/pie roms on nougat bootstack.

There are two 3.2.3 twrp recoveries. One with vendor support, which isn't available anymore in LOS 16.0 thread, I attached it.
Other one without vendor support - from LOS 15.1 thread.
It doesn't change much. You will just gain an option to mount vendor partition in twrp.

Oki lab twrp for custom roms has a party tool for creating vendor partiton.
You can also use Party v0.5 script, to create vendor partition in twrp 3.2.3.

512MB vendor - for LOS and most custom roms
800MB vendor - for some old custom roms made by nfound

Thanks for the reply! I was a bit ahead of you and managed to create a vendor partition using the Party v0.5 script, now I can flash ROMs just fine but the system won't boot (blinking red light, black screen)

I am using the most recent TWRP version for Axon 7 (3.5.2_9-0), I am not sure if this is part of the problem

I've found some possible fixes related to my original question for getting into the bootloader menu, but I have no idea on what to change to regain access to it. I do remember that it said the device name was ailsa_ii as you mentioned, and that the bootloader version was not specified (it was just blank)

Edit: never mind the bootloader menu issue, I managed to get back into it. But the system still won't load.

Last edited:

klałn

Nov 6, 2016
On which bootstack you are right now?
Which rom you want to try?
Custom roms won't work on stock bootstacks.

First, I would recommend to backup persist/efs partition, before futher changes.
Second, I would recommend upgrade stock marshmallow to nougat, then nougat to oreo and after that, flash universal v2 oreo bootstack.
Bootloader/fastboot was locked by zte on most stock roms.

For what for you need fastboot mode? EDL mode isn't enough?
If you really need fastboot, you may try this aboot on oreo bootstack. Didn't try it with universal v2.

DNYO31

Apr 21, 2021
I have no idea what bootstack I am on right now to be honest. How can I check this?
I want to install LineageOS 17.1.

The bootloader is unlocked, I am sure of that.

Sorry for my ignorance, I know I am in way over my head but I am dedicated to make this work.

klałn

Nov 6, 2016
So you probably on stock marshmallow bootstack.
I still recommend to upgrade system step by step. From 6.0.1 to 7.0, then to 8.0 B02 and applying A2017x_LineageOS15.1_UniversalBootstack_v2_by_DrakenFX.zip.
Why this way? Most of a7 users did that at beginning and official updates may do some changes to persist partition.
Some people complained about 50% battery bug, which came out of nowhere.

If you want take a risk, you can flash DrakenFX bootstack straight away or flash A2017G_B02_OREO_FULL_EDL in edl mode and then DrakenFX bootstack. At least - please - do efs partition backup using EDL Tool by djkuz, before doing such a jump.
I don't know if this gonna work. If you brick your device, you will have to download full edl packages, which may take even more time, than official way to upgrade.

DNYO31

Apr 21, 2021
Well, that didn't work. Guess it is bricked now because I cannot access recovery anymore, and my pc can no longer find it. Thanks for your help but I think it is time to buy a new one.

klałn

Nov 6, 2016
Well, that didn't work. Guess it is bricked now because I cannot access recovery anymore, and my pc can no longer find it. Thanks for your help but I think it is time to buy a new one.
Have you tried booting phone to edl mode by holding vol-up + vol-down and pressing power button?
ZTE logo might not appear, but you should enter to dfu/edl mode by pressing those buttons.

It's really hard to make a brick of Axon 7.
In 2016-2017, I had to ground test points on the motherboard to leave DFU mode, but it's not necessary anymore.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone