B&N Shop resets nook color... ouch!!!

Search This thread

bbtheory

Jul 31, 2010
Washington, D.C.
So I am not sure what just happened to my NC. It was rooted, market enabled, apps installed etc.

I (by accident) hit the B&N shop icon in my apps drawer. There was a brief message and then the nook factory reset itself. So I am back to square one, need to re-root and re-enable everything.

Is there a way to avoid this happening again? Are there others out there brave enough to try the shop app and see if it happens? I am not sure if it was just a fluke or if I should really watch out for the B&N shop, etc.

Any wisdom on the matter would be appreciated!!!

bbtheory

Jul 31, 2010
Washington, D.C.
OK, so I rerooted and re enabled market, etc... shop works now, loaded with no problems.

Not sure what happened before, I had enabled market the first time using an earlier method, pehaps that had something to do with it?

basotl

Nov 30, 2010
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3
I had the same issue happen Monday evening. I was presented with an error message and then forced to reset. It has not reoccured and I have tried to replicate the error.

Sent from my Nook Color using XDA App.

william1853

Nov 5, 2010
Same thing happened to me two days ago, so I hope someone posts an answer in this thread as to how to prevent it, or recover from it!

Reactions: dmolition

Withfeeling

Nov 30, 2010
Given the number of rooted nooks that are likely to be out here, it would be unfortunate for B&N if NONE of them could actually buy books from them.;)

axe2

Dec 15, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I had this happen to me, but I was running from and external sdcard, so the reset failed. My theory was that I re-authorized the internal version and and external sdcard was still using the previous authorization.

thecalip

Sep 10, 2007
Given the number of rooted nooks that are likely to be out here, it would be unfortunate for B&N if NONE of them could actually buy books from them.;)

Their book is way over priced. And they have tax at every states, while Amazon has no tax for most of the states. Even if they are able to match Amazon, the buyers still have to pay tax.

Another thing, their search engine sucks. Cannot find anything there.

johnopsec

Dec 7, 2010
I rooted my NC within minutes of purchase and have not had this issue. It would be flat-out nefarious for them to be doing this intentionally so, I'm hoping this is just a fluke that some have run into.

long2know

Jul 30, 2009
I just run the Kindle app, FBReader, Miren browser, Pulse Reader, and Google Reader for all my reading needs. I have ADW Launcher installed, so I don't bother with the Nooks built in apps.

Hopefully, that is enough to prevent me from having this problem. :)

zappaziz

Jul 20, 2007
Portland
Their book is way over priced. And they have tax at every states, while Amazon has no tax for most of the states. Even if they are able to match Amazon, the buyers still have to pay tax.

Exactly. When are B&N and Amazon going to realize that customers know that it doesnt cost them the same to sell an ebook that it does a paper book. There is no printing, storing, transporting, manual labor to put it on the shelf so how the hell can they justify charging the same price for an ebook as a paper one? Their magazines are priced well, why not the books? Im hoping that with the competition that the prices will drop. Sorry BS&N, I love the tablet, but Im not buying squat from you. as soon as a complete rom is available this puppy is getting wiped!

tokyomonster

Feb 20, 2009
Houston
I've had this happen after screwing with the Nook. If I'm using it normally after it's been rooted, and not poking around, it's fine.

Specifically, I was able to recreate it by adding a shortcut via Desktop Visualizer that pointed to one of the accounts and sync manager intents(can't recall which one). Trying to launch that shortcut failed, but after doing so and trying to return to my B&N library, the nook said the account had an issue authorizing and was resetting.

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
Exactly. When are B&N and Amazon going to realize that customers know that it doesnt cost them the same to sell an ebook that it does a paper book. There is no printing, storing, transporting, manual labor to put it on the shelf so how the hell can they justify charging the same price for an ebook as a paper one? Their magazines are priced well, why not the books? Im hoping that with the competition that the prices will drop. Sorry BS&N, I love the tablet, but Im not buying squat from you. as soon as a complete rom is available this puppy is getting wiped!

it'll probably happen when ever the general consumer complains. as long as people are fine with overpaying for services, they'll continue inflating the prices. plus i think there's some kind of conflict where they don't want to hurt hard copy sales.

Bigjohn_S

Dec 11, 2008
atlanta area
The costs to the publisher are reduced, but the AUTHOR does not get any of the extra margin... this is why a lot of authors are re-negotiating with publishers if they can (stephen King, for example) Just like any "new media" the price point will eventually come down.

Ben74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2006
this sudden reset has happened to myself and others on the forum. in my case, it was triggered by opening the BN library. however, after rerooting and reinstalling my apps, i haven't been able to replicate the problem.

i have one book that i'm reading from BN, but after that, i'll just stay away from the BN apps, and use the Kindle software instead. sorry BN, i hope you learn a lesson from this :)

BigBadger

May 2, 2008
Folsom, CA
Please do remember folks that we are tlking about a v1.0 device with v1.0 software that has been just recently hacked to do stuf that wasn't intended. And the hacks are 0.x ! Bound to be a few little quirks.

webvan

May 20, 2008
Chalk up another one for a "spontaneous reset" ! Not sure what happened exactly, I tried to recharge it with a standard USB adapter and since I'd read it took longer I just let it sit...a few minutes later I noticed it had restarted and upon restart I was presented with the "Robot sign-up", not sure if it was from autonook or the script since I had run both a couple of days ago, but it's timing out...looks I'm good for a full reset, fortunately I did a Titanium backup ealier today.

Oh, I had a notification saying "updated to 1.0.0" ! Thanks B&N ;-)

I thought I'd seen a thread called "Prevent NC from calling home and updating itself" but can't see it right now.

webvan

May 20, 2008
Dang, another spontaneous hard reset! This time I saw the whole process:
1. YouTube stops working, no video
2. A little later : authorization problem, your device needs to be reset!
3. Back to square one...

Either B&N are onto something or the market/gmail/youtube scripts are creating some problems. I'm going back to nooter to see if it's as rock solid as it was last week.

drwohl

Apr 25, 2010

They have to add tax because they have a physical presence. Amazon exists only in the cloud (and Washington State, where it does add tax). It's not BN's fault.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Shop works for me (Fully rooted, market, gmail, etc). Not sure why yours reset itself.
    Same here, Shop has been working now for over a week rooted
    Same thing happened to me two days ago, so I hope someone posts an answer in this thread as to how to prevent it, or recover from it!
    Sadly, it's not B&N and Amazon jacking up the prices, its the publishers. They DON'T see that it costs less to produce ebooks, only that they're losing money off the top if Amazon and B&N are selling new ebooks for a quarter of the price of a new hardcover.

Amazon, back in the dusty mists of pre-history, when they introduced their ebooks tried to sell them somewhat cheaply and the major publishers ganged up on Amazon and the smaller publishers that were working with them to ensure that prices stayed up.
    I don't think the problem is Titanium Backup (at least for initial resets). This happened to me the day I got it, after I rooted, and BEFORE I installed Titanium Backup. I was using the NC library and BAM!!! (Oh no!!!!!!!!!!). Since then I have avoided all BN apps and so far so good (1 week). My wife accidently started the BN Shop, but thankfully it was not on Wifi at the time, so no harm done.

Sorry BN, but I'm forced to use the Kindle app on my NookC.