Back Glass Cracked around speaker

Search This thread

mattcam3

Dec 3, 2008
I went out tonight to a movie. I put my phone in my pocket when I left the house, took it out once to put it on vibrate at the start of the movie then took it out of my pocket again when I got home. The phone was the only thing in that pocket, so it's not like it was up against my keys or anything.

The phone was intact when I put it on vibrate so while it was in my pocket at some point during the movie or the ride home is when it got cracked.

It seems that the part of the glass that's cut out for the loud speaker got pushed in enough that the glass around it gave way and shattered. I don't remember bumping it on anything or it being jostled in any way, just a typical movie and drive home...

I have insurance on it through Tmobile but I may try and call LG directly first to see if they will do anything considering I didn't drop it or really abuse it in any way that I can think of...

So let this be a warning to you if you have one, be careful about that part of the phone. Maybe be careful to put it facing screen-side-out in your pocket so the back speaker cut out can't be bumped...

The glass around the speaker grill is entirely shattered with cracks spider webbing from it to all 4 corners of the screen. The cracks going to the top are hard to see in the pictures, but their there.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions about contacting LG, or anything else about it?

View attachment 1490763

View attachment 1490769

ASavva

Apr 13, 2012
Looks like a bit of flex that's caused it.

That's the first time I've seen a decent picture of the back by the way, and it looks amazing!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

yahoowizard

Aug 26, 2010
That does not seem like Gorilla Glass anymore. Don't think I've ever heard of a phone just magically breaking without any kind of impact.

xCryonic

Nov 15, 2012
I don't think that the backside of the phone is made from gorilla glass, only the screen. But you still should contact LG, because no way it should blow up like that.

Hope that they change it for you :)

Sent from my GT-I9000

mattcam3

Dec 3, 2008
How the hell did that happen in a pocket? Hmm

I wish I had a good answer :(

I was babying this phone as much as possible, it was the only thing in that pocket and I made sure not to use it when over cement or anything in case it did fall.

But this happened while it was INSIDE my pocket, I even had to empty some of the glass shards out of my pocket when I noticed what had happened...

yahoowizard

Aug 26, 2010
I don't think that the backside of the phone is made from gorilla glass, only the screen. But you still should contact LG, because no way it should blow up like that.

Hope that they change it for you :)

Sent from my GT-I9000

Most of the reviews state that both the front and the back of the phone are Gorilla Glass.

Nitemare3219

Nov 24, 2010
Cmon, u had to out some type of stress on it for it to crack like that. Skinny jeans? Back or front pocket?? Why isnt no one going to T-Mobile stores to buy a case for a all glass phone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

There are no cases. And I agree, I don't see how this could sporadically happen. You had to have had some crazy luck here.

Richieboy67

Dec 10, 2011
CT
www.talkdevelopment.net
Back pocket? Were you sitting on it?

OK am just not buying the km magic scratches happening on their own or a big crack happening without it being CX caused. These things do not happen on their own..

It looks just like it got sat on, what else could push the speaker through to crack it like that..

sent via xda premium with nexus 7-Xbox live-loneleppard add me

Last edited:

mattcam3

Dec 3, 2008
Cmon, u had to out some type of stress on it for it to crack like that. Skinny jeans? Back or front pocket?? Why isnt no one going to T-Mobile stores to buy a case for a all glass phone?

Haha, no skinny jeans, and it was in my front left pocket.

There was no stress at all that I can think of. When I took it out of my pocket at home to text someone the back felt rough and I thought something was on it, but when i turned it around to look I saw it all cracked. I was 100% surprised to see that considering how I had babied it all night and I didn't even use it the entire night.

There was no case because none are sold yet. When I bought it the store said they would be getting the cases (bumpers I guess) in stock next week, I was going to call them Monday to see if they had any yet, and I still will but I don't expect them to get any until mid week.

Jan 12, 2010
Haha, no skinny jeans, and it was in my front left pocket.

There was no stress at all that I can think of. When I took it out of my pocket at home to text someone the back felt rough and I thought something was on it, but when i turned it around to look I saw it all cracked. I was 100% surprised to see that considering how I had babied it all night and I didn't even use it the entire night.

There was no case because none are sold yet. When I bought it the store said they would be getting the cases (bumpers I guess) in stock next week, I was going to call them Monday to see if they had any yet, and I still will but I don't expect them to get any until mid week.

im hoping its just bad manufacturing. if all the nexus 4 phones are like that, im scared to do anything with it :eek:

luckily, im getting a TPU case in the mail soon

mattcam3

Dec 3, 2008
Back pocket? Were you sitting on it?

OK am just not buying the km magic scratches happening on their own or a big crack happening without it being CX caused. These things do not happen on their own..

It looks just like it got sat on, what else could push the speaker through to crack it like that..

sent via xda premium with nexus 7-Xbox live-loneleppard add me

Front pocket, and no sitting on my side, just in a movie theater seat then my car seat.

I wish I could just "not buy" it too, but it happened....

Like I said in my first post, it looks like a typical crack you would get from tempered glass when the stress point is hit, and it looks like around that speaker cut out is a stress point. The thing is, it wasn't hit, bumped, dropped, or anything else like that.

If you were the insurance company or LG I would understand not trusting me, but why do I have to gain by not telling the truth here?

Reactions: milesg and nebsif

Jan 12, 2010
Front pocket, and no sitting on my side, just in a movie theater seat then my car seat.

I wish I could just "not buy" it too, but it happened....

Like I said in my first post, it looks like a typical crack you would get from tempered glass when the stress point is hit, and it looks like around that speaker cut out is a stress point. The thing is, it wasn't hit, bumped, dropped, or anything else like that.

If you were the insurance company or LG I would understand not trusting me, but why do I have to gain by not telling the truth here?

maybe it got stressed when it was up against the seat, like the side or something. just a guess. or maybe someone else hit it by accident without you knowing in the theatre? or you yourself did unknowingly? it is dark in there...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Gorilla glass my ass

I went out tonight to a movie. I put my phone in my pocket when I left the house, took it out once to put it on vibrate at the start of the movie then took it out of my pocket again when I got home. The phone was the only thing in that pocket, so it's not like it was up against my keys or anything.

The phone was intact when I put it on vibrate so while it was in my pocket at some point during the movie or the ride home is when it got cracked.

It seems that the part of the glass that's cut out for the loud speaker got pushed in enough that the glass around it gave way and shattered. I don't remember bumping it on anything or it being jostled in any way, just a typical movie and drive home...

I have insurance on it through Tmobile but I may try and call LG directly first to see if they will do anything considering I didn't drop it or really abuse it in any way that I can think of...

So let this be a warning to you if you have one, be careful about that part of the phone. Maybe be careful to put it facing screen-side-out in your pocket so the back speaker cut out can't be bumped...

The glass around the speaker grill is entirely shattered with cracks spider webbing from it to all 4 corners of the screen. The cracks going to the top are hard to see in the pictures, but their there.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions about contacting LG, or anything else about it?

View attachment 1490763

View attachment 1490769
    Hi

Putting a phone this size in your pocket, which I presume is a trouser (pant for US readers) pocket, is asking for any of these smart phones to get broken at some point.

You've bent the phone, probably where you sat down and the phone was caught in your pocket, and pockets want to follow the contours of your body, which in a trouser pocket is a right angle when you sit down! What you see is a stress fracture, and by their nature they tend to appear at the weakest point, in this case around the speaker cut out.

I personally can't keep one of these in my trouser pocket because the constant feel of it wedge against my body, especially when sitting would drive me mad, and I know it isn't good for the phone.

Someone posted a picture of an HTC One X bent in half because they were silly enough to put it in their back pocket!

These phones (and I mean any smart phone) are not really trouser pocket phones, they are made of thin glass and plastic, and need to be treated based on that fact. Would you put a sheet of glass the same size in your trouser pocket and expect it not to break when it gets bent or stressed?

Regards

Phil

When I sit down I hold the phone to the front of my pants so it sits on top of my leg, not to the side where it could get caught on something or try to wrap around my leg. The phone also was always perpendicular to the ground and not parallel with it such that it can sit on my leg without having to contour to it.

If I didn't have the phone in my pocket then where the heck _should_ I put it? Hold it all night? I'm rather sure that much more harm would have come to it much faster if I kept it in my hand everywhere I went. I wasn't wearing a coat or jacket so my options are front pocket or hands. You're telling me that holding it would be safer?

It's a phone for cripes sake. The point of it is utility. If i were to have bought a Faberge egg I would not not transport it in my pockets as that wasn't what it was meant for. A phone on the other hand is much more likely to be put in a pocket. The only thing people put in their pocket more then phones are change and their keys. If a phone was not designed for that in mind then something went wrong in the design phase :p

I'm not *****ing or anything, I expect to have it replaced by either LG or Tmo. In fact since it happened and I got over the initial shock I haven't been the slightest bit angry or mad about it. It is what it is, and it's just a phone... I decided to post it here since I found it interesting that this may be a point on the phone that should be more closely guarded or protected with a full case rather then just a bumper (not that i had either at the time).

Just trying to keep the community informed, not lay blame or take blame :)
    Hi

View attachment 1490763

View attachment 1490769

Putting a phone this size in your pocket, which I presume is a trouser (pant for US readers) pocket, is asking for any of these smart phones to get broken at some point.

You've bent the phone, probably where you sat down and the phone was caught in your pocket, and pockets want to follow the contours of your body, which in a trouser pocket is a right angle when you sit down! What you see is a stress fracture, and by their nature they tend to appear at the weakest point, in this case around the speaker cut out.

I personally can't keep one of these in my trouser pocket because the constant feel of it wedge against my body, especially when sitting would drive me mad, and I know it isn't good for the phone.

Someone posted a picture of an HTC One X bent in half because they were silly enough to put it in their back pocket!

These phones (and I mean any smart phone) are not really trouser pocket phones, they are made of thin glass and plastic, and need to be treated based on that fact. Would you put a sheet of glass the same size in your trouser pocket and expect it not to break when it gets bent or stressed?

Regards

Phil
    The thing to take away here is that these N4s are twice as fragile as a plastic or metal backed phone, and twice as likely to get broken.

Apple (the leader in mobile industrial design - deny it all you like) already showed us that glass backs on a phone are not a good idea, and yet two years later LG decides to manufacture a glass-backed phone in their Taiwanese toffee factory. And Google jumps in and goes "Great design guys, we'll change up the shape of the Optimus G a little, but that glass back rocks - we'll definitely keep that!"
    F**kin idiots.