• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

back glass strength

Search This thread

cammykool

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
I had my Razr in my back pocket the other week, and when i sat down in a car i heard a quiet cracking noise, the back glass cracked.... How hard is it to swap and are they really that brittle? Thanks!

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Glass only bends so much. It's neither solid nor liquid, an amorphous solid. A bizarre material, the laws of hydraulics can apply to it. Making some of it's behaviors seem baffling.

I have a Note 10+, which is huge. I always wear bdu pants. The thigh cargo pockets are perfect for phones.

Watch a tear down vid of that phone before you dig in. Take your time and have a OEM seal kit to close it back up.

Reactions: Petri152
In case phone is used without protecting case, highly recommend putting hydrogel film on the phone back and front glass panell, it's literally invisible but create extra protection as well a makes phone less slippery in hands.

Putting hydrogel screen protector on internal display is a different story, I have it on and so far no issues after few month.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
In case phone is used without protecting case, highly recommend putting hydrogel film on the phone back and front glass panell, it's literally invisible but create extra protection as well a makes phone less slippery in hands.

Putting hydrogel screen protector on internal display is a different story, I have it on and so far no issues after few month.
Welcome to XDA 🤗

You really need a good case to protect from face plants and corner hits when drop as well as from being flexed. Any impact that can bent the frame or shatter the display can damage chipsets and the mobo by high G loading alone. A good case spreads out the impact G loading spike making drops survivable.

Reactions: kreoll
Welcome to XDA 🤗

You really need a good case to protect from face plants and corner hits when drop as well as from being flexed. Any impact that can bent the frame or shatter the display can damage chipsets and the mobo by high G loading alone. A good case spreads out the impact G loading spike making drops survivable.
True, after using phone for few weeks with just hydrogel film on it I've ordered few cases on Amazon to get more protection. I was looking for compact phone thus chosen Razr and don't want to add any bulk to it.

Finally ended up with evutec carbon case, may be not super protective comparing to others but it's almost perfect in terms of look & feel. Hydrogel film still used along with the case and completely invisible.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
True, after using phone for few weeks with just hydrogel film on it I've ordered few cases on Amazon to get more protection. I was looking for compact phone thus chosen Razr and don't want to add any bulk to it.

Finally ended up with evutec carbon case, may be not super protective comparing to others but it's almost perfect in terms of look & feel. Hydrogel film still used along with the case and completely invisible.
Yeah it's a trade off.
Sometimes it's more practical to tether the phone if you have a tether point.
BDU pants have cargo pockets that are perfect for stashing phones.
Belt pouches are another option.
The occasional fast as on ice slipe/hip-shoulder fall/landing on the phone side might not end well.
There's only so much you can reasonably do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can't speak for how hard it is to install the new one but it's literally just a piece of glass with the adhesive strips. It'd be pretty trivial with a spudger/knife and a heat-gun. It looks like the going rate for a new one is around $100USD from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002618579898.html
    Glass only bends so much. It's neither solid nor liquid, an amorphous solid. A bizarre material, the laws of hydraulics can apply to it. Making some of it's behaviors seem baffling.

I have a Note 10+, which is huge. I always wear bdu pants. The thigh cargo pockets are perfect for phones.

Watch a tear down vid of that phone before you dig in. Take your time and have a OEM seal kit to close it back up.
    Take your time and have a OEM seal kit to close it back up.
    This is huge, make sure you have those adhesive strips!

Welcome to XDA 🤗