Back to Stock

Search This thread

themack

Mar 20, 2009
Redmi K20 Pro
Hi,

I bought this Mi 9T Pro, a year and 5 months ago. It already came rooted and with Miui 20.5.7 Beta.

However i run in to the problems that i am starting to use this phone for work now and it can't be used due some checks that this phone is rooted and on an old updated version.

Is there a way to get back to the stock eu rom. With automatic updates and to unroot it, without losing all my programs/photos etc.?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Hi,

I bought this Mi 9T Pro, a year and 5 months ago. It already came rooted and with Miui 20.5.7 Beta.

However i run in to the problems that i am starting to use this phone for work now and it can't be used due some checks that this phone is rooted and on an old updated version.

Is there a way to get back to the stock eu rom. With automatic updates and to unroot it, without losing all my programs/photos etc.?
By 'rooted', do you mean that Magisk is installed (that you really have SuperUser privileges in Android) or only that Bootloader is unlocked (and maybe TWRP/custom Recovery is installed)?

Also, by Miui 20.5.7 Beta do you mean an old Xiaomi.eu Weekly or some other custom ROM or what?

You can flash Magisk uninstall.zip from TWRP to unroot=uninstall Magisk (that will not relock BL, but properly speaking rooting should be related to su and hence Magisk).
In Magisk app (former Magisk manager) there is also Uninstall Magisk option but I would suggest to flash the uninstall.zip instead.
It would be also good that you go to the Modules in Magisk app/mngr and uninstall all modules (and reboot) first

If you are on Xiaomi.eu Weekly, you should be able to upgrade to the latest Weekly or even better to the Xuaomi.eu Stable without Formatting Data (hence keeping your apps, settings and documents).
Better than latest stock and (without Magisk - to avoid troubles with hiding the Magisk) you will be passing SafetyNet right away (Xiaomi.eu hides that Bootloader is unlocked) and you should not have any problem for your business apps.
For updating Xiaomi.eu you will need TWRP - you probably have an older version, you will need to update the TWRP first (or Orange Fox or your customRecovery of choice)

But if you really want to go back to stock you MUST do FORMAT DATA (if you don't you might be able to install the stock but you will complain then that this or that does not work, etc), hence you will loose all your user apps, settings, data - you need to think about backing up and later restoring (cooying e.g. photos to PC, backing up contacts via Google account, and Xiaomi Clouds also provide useful back-ups for apps and their settings, Comtacts, Calls and SMS, even WiFi passwords)

Last edited:
Reactions: r.mutt

themack

Mar 20, 2009
Redmi K20 Pro
By 'rooted', do you mean that Magisk is installed (that you really have SuperUser privileges in Android) or only that Bootloader is unlocked (and maybe TWRP/custom Recovery is installed)?

Also, by Miui 20.5.7 Beta do you mean an old Xiaomi.eu Weekly or some other custom ROM or what?

You can flash Magisk uninstall.zip from TWRP to unroot=uninstall Magisk (that will not relock BL, but properly speaking rooting should be related to su and hence Magisk).
In Magisk app (former Magisk manager) there is also Uninstall Magisk option but I would suggest to flash the uninstall.zip instead.
It would be also good that you go to the Modules in Magisk app/mngr and uninstall all modules (and reboot) first

If you are on Xiaomi.eu Weekly, you should be able to upgrade to the latest Weekly or even better to the Xuaomi.eu Stable without Formatting Data (hence keeping your apps, settings and documents).
Better than latest stock and (without Magisk - to avoid troubles with hiding the Magisk) you will be passing SafetyNet right away (Xiaomi.eu hides that Bootloader is unlocked) and you should not have any problem for your business apps.
For updating Xiaomi.eu you will need TWRP - you probably have an older version, you will need to update the TWRP first (or Orange Fox or your customRecovery of choice)

But if you really want to go back to stock you MUST do FORMAT DATA (if you don't you might be able to install the stock but you will complain then that this or that does not work, etc), hence you will loose all your user apps, settings, data - you need to think about backing up and later restoring (cooying e.g. photos to PC, backing up contacts via Google account, and Xiaomi Clouds also provide useful back-ups for apps and their settings, Comtacts, Calls and SMS, even WiFi passwords)
By 'rooted', do you mean that Magisk is installed (that you really have SuperUser privileges in Android) or only that Bootloader is unlocked (and maybe TWRP/custom Recovery is installed)? =

Yes, Mgisk and SU are installed and with OrangeFox.

=

Are the weekly builds also availble on OTA updates? So i won't have to update manually every time? Because saving the files and apps that i have right now are key. Otherwise i can just buy a new phone and transfer everything. Is there a good tutorial on how to update it to the latest weekly?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016

Are the weekly builds also availble on OTA updates? So i won't have to update manually every time? Because saving the files and apps that i have right now are key. Otherwise i can just buy a new phone and transfer everything. Is there a good tutorial on how to update it to the latest weekly?
Ok, from Magisk app/mngr uninstall all modules and reboot. Later when you update Xiaomi.eu, it will flash the new, clean boot.img without the Magisk patch.
Finally, you will uninstall the Magisk app/mngr then (app/mngr is apk, not the Magisk itself, only it's front-end/UI to manage the Magisk)

For Orange Fox you will need to search where to download the update.
You can also take latest TWRP from TWRP.me and flash the img file (to Recovery) from OF

If you are really on Xiaomi.eu (check My Device does it really say MIUI by Xiaomi.eu or so), go to Xiaomi.eu forum, open the Stable (or Weekly) thread and read the OP posts (usually, posts #1 and #2) where to download and how to install/update

When updating from the old Xiaomi.eu Weekly/Stable to the latest Stable, the following should be enough:
- download the ROM zip for raphael
- go to OF/TWRP and flash the ROM
- Wipe Dalwik and Cache
- Go to Advance (maybe in OF named differently, I don't use OF), File Manager, navigate to /data/system and delete its package_cache subfolder
(Btw, I downgraded that way from Xiaomi.eu weekly to always the little older Stable and everything went ok - I only had an issue with Gallery app that was newer in my Weekly than in the Stable - but that is also solvable and could not apply to your ancient Weekly)

I.e., the guide might say that you need to Format Data, but since you are upgrading from an really old Weekly/Stable version there is no fear that you might downgrade any system app

PS: Xiaomi.eu provides its own OTA mechanism but for updating you will always need TWRP (OF), not the stock Recovery.
However, Mi 9 series (plain, T, T Pro, SE, all of them) are on the end-of-line. There will be no Xiaomi.eu Weeklies any more for them, and it's unclear would they receive additional Stable updates (just like the newer Security patches).
But the similar fate applies to stock OTA upgrades, too. Phones were released with MIUI 10/A 9, more than two years ago, Xiaomi upgraded them to MIUI 12 / A11 (two major versions ahead) - and that's it

Last edited:
Reactions: r.mutt

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
See also the post #6 in that thread and subsequent posts about successful and happy move to the latest Xiaomi.eu Stable:
Hi I'm K20pro/Mi 9t pro user currently on latest 12.5.1.0 raphael stock rom, can you give bit of advice about going to eu stable rom(12.5.6.0 latest) from stock miui. I do have orange fox recovery installed but confused about what to wipe(dalvik/cache/...other options) or format data(yes confirmation option) and if rom flash needs to be in clean internal storage via format data(yes confirmation option), will i need latest firmware with it or just eu rom.

After that i will install magisk
I'm pretty much new custom roms with just a week of 35-40 hours of research, I will be glad if you or anyone reading this, willing to clear my doubts.
Thank you in advance :)
Also the post #6 here and the story around (Widevine L1 with Xiaomi.eu):
Changed the rom to Xiaomi.eu and I got it! Thanks.

Last edited:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Thanks!

However the latest stable for rapheal says its for china. SHouldnt that be global? Or am i looking wrong?
Are you talking about Xiaomi.eu Stable from here or stock CN:

Xiaomi.eu IS NOT FOR CHINA - read the Forum about.
However, it's up to you do you want to try or not. Be aware that it is not the Xiaomi official/stock ROM.
If you have furtther questions, google on the Net about user opinions, consult their Forum or (create account) and ask there

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Ok, from Magisk app/mngr uninstall all modules and reboot. Later when you update Xiaomi.eu, it will flash the new, clean boot.img without the Magisk patch.
    Finally, you will uninstall the Magisk app/mngr then (app/mngr is apk, not the Magisk itself, only it's front-end/UI to manage the Magisk)

For Orange Fox you will need to search where to download the update.
    You can also take latest TWRP from TWRP.me and flash the img file (to Recovery) from OF

If you are really on Xiaomi.eu (check My Device does it really say MIUI by Xiaomi.eu or so), go to Xiaomi.eu forum, open the Stable (or Weekly) thread and read the OP posts (usually, posts #1 and #2) where to download and how to install/update

When updating from the old Xiaomi.eu Weekly/Stable to the latest Stable, the following should be enough:
    - download the ROM zip for raphael
    - go to OF/TWRP and flash the ROM
    - Wipe Dalwik and Cache
    - Go to Advance (maybe in OF named differently, I don't use OF), File Manager, navigate to /data/system and delete its package_cache subfolder
    (Btw, I downgraded that way from Xiaomi.eu weekly to always the little older Stable and everything went ok - I only had an issue with Gallery app that was newer in my Weekly than in the Stable - but that is also solvable and could not apply to your ancient Weekly)

I.e., the guide might say that you need to Format Data, but since you are upgrading from an really old Weekly/Stable version there is no fear that you might downgrade any system app

PS: Xiaomi.eu provides its own OTA mechanism but for updating you will always need TWRP (OF), not the stock Recovery.
    However, Mi 9 series (plain, T, T Pro, SE, all of them) are on the end-of-line. There will be no Xiaomi.eu Weeklies any more for them, and it's unclear would they receive additional Stable updates (just like the newer Security patches).
    But the similar fate applies to stock OTA upgrades, too. Phones were released with MIUI 10/A 9, more than two years ago, Xiaomi upgraded them to MIUI 12 / A11 (two major versions ahead) - and that's it