• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Background processes killing. Is it problematic for you?

Search This thread

gorman42

Sep 13, 2014
Reading this https://dontkillmyapp.com/oneplus I'm left wondering if some strange behaviour I'm seeing could be motivated by this.

For instance, I've been using for several years this app, Stay Alive: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.synetics.stay.alive
It gives you the option of having the screen not turning itself off when charging. It's crucial in the car, where I have a dock mounted and use the phone for navigation, music playback, etc.
On my previous Nexus 6P the app worked flawlessly. With 6T sometimes the screen turns off and then it turn itself on once more, as if the process got killed and then restarted.
I have the "don't optimize" option activated for Stay Alive.

There are other strange behaviours I'm seeing, with Tasker for instance. And the nagging feeling that they might depend on background process handling at the OS level.

I recently did turn off Battery/Battery Optimisation/Advanced Optimisation/Deep Optimisation and Sleep standby optimisation, hoping to get better results. I still haven't reached a conclusion about it.

I have to say that it's pretty annoying to have the phone decide for you what should be happening for apps. For instance, I had Firefox in the "Don't optimize" category but it still had problems with opening new pages after a while. Turning off the above two options seems to have cured the problem but if that is needed I wonder what the heck "Don't optimise" mean for OnePlus.

I hope to get to the bottom of this as, quite frankly, not having the phone "act on his own" behind the scenes is exactly why I chose Android as my OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: zaqpy

indian84

Mar 30, 2012
Doha
Reading this https://dontkillmyapp.com/oneplus I'm left wondering if some strange behaviour I'm seeing could be motivated by this.

For instance, I've been using for several years this app, Stay Alive: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.synetics.stay.alive
It gives you the option of having the screen not turning itself off when charging. It's crucial in the car, where I have a dock mounted and use the phone for navigation, music playback, etc.
On my previous Nexus 6P the app worked flawlessly. With 6T sometimes the screen turns off and then it turn itself on once more, as if the process got killed and then restarted.
I have the "don't optimize" option activated for Stay Alive.

There are other strange behaviours I'm seeing, with Tasker for instance. And the nagging feeling that they might depend on background process handling at the OS level.

I recently did turn off Battery/Battery Optimisation/Advanced Optimisation/Deep Optimisation and Sleep standby optimisation, hoping to get better results. I still haven't reached a conclusion about it.

I have to say that it's pretty annoying to have the phone decides for you what should be happening for apps. For instance, I had Firefox in the "Don't optimize" category but it still had problems with opening new pages after a while. Turning off the above two options seems to have cured the problem but if that is needed I wonder what the heck "Don't optimise" mean for OnePlus.

I hope to get to the bottom of this as, quite frankly, not having the phone "act on his own" behind the scenes is exactly why I chose Android as my OS.
Thank you for this.
I've been feeling stupid having all these issues of pass getting killed in the background.
For me proper working phone is more important than battery life. I can easily get one whole day 6AM-11PM with around 30% battery left.
I would be ok if the apps won't get killed and I have say, 10% battery left at the end of the day.

rmaathuis

Feb 4, 2011
I also don't understand this, it's what I really dislike about the OnePlus phones. In earlier Android versions it was always adviced not to use app killers because the Android OS knows best when to kill an app. Now OnePlus is doing exactly this, and then call it an optimization... [emoji848]

But @gorman42 are you aware of the option System - Developer Options - Stay Awake?

Megadoug13

Dec 17, 2012
Canajoharie, NY
OnePlus 6T
I also don't understand this, it's what I really dislike about the OnePlus phones. In earlier Android versions it was always adviced not to use app killers because the Android OS knows best when to kill an app. Now OnePlus is doing exactly this, and then call it an optimization... [emoji848]

But @gorman42 are you aware of the option System - Developer Options - Stay Awake?
I want to say you're right but it's not only OnePlus that has too aggressive background killing. Google put optimization into Android a couple of years ago and they can't seem to hit a perfect medium between both. I'm sick of switching apps and then going back into an app a couple of minutes later to just have to start at the top of the feed again. It's annoying and it's happened with my 6t, Moto z, Droid turbo, lg g4, and my Galaxy s6 when they were all in their "prime". I think it boils down to Google ultimately

Aridon

May 14, 2007
Turn off adaptive battery and on your apps you absolutely want untouched selectDon't optimize under battery > battery optimizations. After doing that I have what is consider a normal experience.

gorman42

Sep 13, 2014
Turn off adaptive battery and on your apps you absolutely want untouched selectDon't optimize under battery > battery optimizations. After doing that I have what is consider a normal experience.
But if you read my post... I do have "Don't optimize" selected for relevant apps. It still doesn't seem to solve the problems I'm having.

Now I've turned off Adaptive Battery too. Let's see if it makes any difference.

rmaathuis

Feb 4, 2011
But if you read my post... I do have "Don't optimize" selected for relevant apps. It still doesn't seem to solve the problems I'm having.

Now I've turned off Adaptive Battery too. Let's see if it makes any difference.
What most of the times work for for me is open the app, then go to recent app management, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner above the app and choose lock.

And thanks for the tip of this app, because of company policy "stay awake" was disabled on my device and this app overrides it (Earlier I tried 2 or 3 similar apps but they didn't work, this one does).

SpasilliumNexus

Jan 23, 2013
Delaware
www.last.fm
I wonder whether rooting would give me back the control I need through some third party modification...
You really shouldn't have to modify your phone to, by chance, fix what OnePlus did (same could be said about other OEMs too, but that's besides the point right now). OnePlus needs to fix this issue, which has been an ongoing thing in their ROMs for over two years.

It's a shame that it takes a few app devs getting bad reviews on their apps to come up with a website pointing out the offenders of aggressive app management, with OnePlus being number 2 on the list for this issue to pick up traction, despite numerous users reporting about it on their forum and via in-app feedback for so long.

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Compared to OxygenOS on the 3T, OxygenOS nowadays has become so nice to use on the 6T that I don't have a need to root anymore. It's just this issue that really hampers it.

GnaXi

Nov 14, 2010
OnePlus 9 Pro
I fell in love with OnePlus when I bought my very first OnePlus phone, the OnePlus 3T. I've since then owned the OnePlus 5T and 6T. Unfortunately I've been disappointed with both because of this specific issue. If they don't resolve this issue within the lifetime of my 6T I feel obligated to start looking for something other than a OnePlus phone next :( Such a shame, as I love everything else about OnePlus and OxygenOS.

wilpang

Feb 10, 2014
Blackburn
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
While investigating this I stumbled upon a setting in Developer Options.
Here’s the description and explanation: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-use-android-pie-standby-apps/
Problem is, with 6T all apps are stuck to ACTIVE status, you can’t modify their status. I guess this could point to OnePlus messing with regular Android power management.

Are you sure you can't modify the settings, I've tried it and let's me change as per the link you posted?
I agree with you guys the app management is pretty aggressive.

popy2006

Mar 22, 2007
I have the same issues with several apps (Tasker, Gravity Screen, Whatsapo (Web)...). The apps was running perfectly on my old lg g4 but on the OPO 6T they gets killed too often. Also disabled adaptive Battery and set those apps to dont optimize. But this doesnt helps....

In previous OOS on the 5T there was an setting for background apps count in developer options, this is sadly gone on our 6T. Is there a way to use this option also when removed from dev options?
(maybe editing some files).

Thx

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A6013 mit Tapatalk

gregwee

Jun 13, 2009
There are 3 settings under Settings > Battery:
1. Battery Saver
2. Battery optimization
3. Adaptive Battery

I have been able to get a somewhat 'normal' experience after turning all 3 options off for Whatsapp, Tasker, etc... For some programs, it seems that it needs to be started, and left running without closing the program in 'Recentd's..

I am rooted and use Greenify to close programs that I want killed when in the background..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is it possible for the fingerprint to work in custom roms without google adding support for inscreen readers into the source code?
    For me the fingerprint issue is the only reason I havent left OOS also. I had the og pixel before this phone and I just prefer the Pie experience the way Aosp delivers it.

Also can anyone tell me if there is a way i can enable smart text selection and photo sharing from the recents menu?
    Not as of now. But Omni guys have cracked the code (not literally), and have FP working. They haven't released it for public use yet, but I have spoken to one of the Omni team, and he has confirmed it.
    I feel it's not long before we have FP working on custom ROMs..
    I had this issue horribly on stock. I use VoIP or sip calling in the stock dialer. Frequently I would miss calls as even the stock dialer was getting killed. Other examples were workout apps like Google fit or endomondo being killed within 5 minutes of starting a workout. YouTube music would get killed while listening to music as well. Pinning the apps in events had no effect, and turning off optimizations or adaptive battery had absolutely no effect whatsoever! Apps are simply being killed while in active use.

Switching to lineage or custom Rom fixed it so it was obviously too aggressive of ram management and killing of apps I concluded. So I decided to install a custom kernel on stock oos again and then adjust the LMK setting to essentially never kill the apps. Low and behold, I have no issues anymore with apps being killed! Apps never get killed on me anymore and I never miss notifications or phone calls anymore! And I can get through workouts and music never stops. The phone finally makes use of the ram it has and my battery is just as good as always! Without adjusting the LMK I was still having apps being killed.

We have 6 to 8gb of freaking ram! Why the hell OnePlus is killing apps so aggressively is beyond me, but it's not making use of the Ram in these phones at all and is a complete waste! So give it a try. I'm not sure you can adjust this without root or custom kernel, but it's officially fixed the problem for me. Also, all optimization and adaptive battery settings are left on with the LMK adjusted to the absolute lightest settings. No extra battery drain over stock. In fact, my battery is better as I'm guessing the CPU doesn't have to work as hard every time I open apps back up.
    I have a lot of Messengers on my phone to keep in contact with everyone: Facebook, Skype, Wire, Riot (encrypted), and more. If they aren't running, then I don't get incoming message notifications.

My "Work Around" for keeping background processes running:
    1) Do all the usual battery settings stuff (don't optimize app).
    2) Put a Lock on all desired apps. This is done in the recents menu. (see screenshot)
    3) Use Tasker to check every half hour if the apps are running. If not, then start them.

Tasker check if app is running, New Task:

New Action -> Code -> Run Shell
    Command:
    pidof com.facebook.orca
    Store Output:
    %out

New Action -> App -> Launch App
    App:
    Facebook Messenger
    If:
    %out !Set

Repeat these 2 Actions for every app you want to make sure stays running in the background.

Caveat:
    When Tasker starts an app, you will see it appear in the foreground, and it will come over any app you're currently using.

Feel Free to copy and repost this information anywhere. No credit to me required. (public domain)
    There is an option in the Developers Option that can make your screen always on. just enable it on developers option.

But the screen dims after a while with that option as per the other 15x this was stated ???
    Because I don't always use navigation in the car and always listen to music. And I want it to be always on *only* when power is connected.

There's a developer option for this: