Background processes killing. Is it problematic for you?

Search This thread

pooyab

Dec 3, 2009
Rasht
this is a well known issue of oneplus and when you report it, you either get ignored, or get a response like this:
"oh my god, I can't believe you are having a problem. please send us a log and we will fix it in 2 hours. meanwhile, are you sure you are using a phone and not a sandwich maker?"
hundreds of people have reported and discussed this at least since last year on op6 and 6t and they either don't care, or think killing background apps is the only way to manage battery life!
All these methods (locking apps in recent menu, disabling battery optimization and even tweaking build prop) only work partially in best scenario. you have to install a custom heavily modified kernel and preferably a custom non Oxygen os based rom to get it completely fixed.

Last edited:

culiacanazo

this is a well known issue of oneplus and when you report it, you either get ignored, or get a response like this:
"oh my god, I can't believe you are having a problem. please send us a log and we will fix it in 2 hours. meanwhile, are you sure you are using a phone and not a sandwich maker?"
hundreds of people have reported and discussed this at least since last year on op6 and 6t and they either don't care, or think killing background apps is the only way to manage battery life!
All these methods (locking apps in recent menu, disabling battery optimization and even tweaking build prop) only work partially in best scenario. you have to install a custom heavily modified kernel and preferably a custom non Oxygen os based rom to get it completely fixed.
It's more than well documented in dontkillmyapp.com
Of course they'll deny it forever

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs

Reactions: pooyab

fadedout

Jan 26, 2012
One of my biggest peeves was being unable to switch back and forth between apps without having the app killed in the background. For example, I pause a song on Pandora, switch between other apps for a few mins, then come back to Pandora. I expect to resume the same song only to find the app was killed and is now playing a new song.

I've tried much of what has been suggested in this thread with varying degrees of success. Pinning individual apps in recents worked well, but I can't pin every app. However I've found the most success with something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Disable the "OnePlus Launcher" app.

There are many way to do this, I found it most convenient to freeze it with Titanium Backup. Obviously you'll want to be sure you have a third-party launcher installed beforehand.

Note that the "recents" app carousel will now be vertical instead of horizontal, however it was quick to get used to and was well worth it.

Reactions: nikosrs4

DaOldMan

Oct 6, 2010
Disable the "OnePlus Launcher" app.

There are many way to do this, I found it most convenient to freeze it with Titanium Backup. Obviously you'll want to be sure you have a third-party launcher installed beforehand.

Note that the "recents" app carousel will now be vertical instead of horizontal, however it was quick to get used to and was well worth it.
Pitty this disables the possibility to use gestures in navbar as the recents gesture doesn't work with the vertical one.

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
The agressive battery settings Oneplus insist on using in OOS is precisely why I've moved to Omnirom on my 6T. Fantastic hardware, but when you have to open Whatsapp to see a message three hours after you receive it because notifications don't work despite all battery optimisation features being disabled, you know something is seriously wrong. I'm just glad third party roms are so easily available on this fabulous device, otherwise I'd have had to return it.

culiacanazo

The agressive battery settings Oneplus insist on using in OOS is precisely why I've moved to Omnirom on my 6T. Fantastic hardware, but when you have to open Whatsapp to see a message three hours after you receive it because notifications don't work despite all battery optimisation features being disabled, you know something is seriously wrong. I'm just glad third party roms are so easily available on this fabulous device, otherwise I'd have had to return it.
Is that a known bug or an isolated incident? And then, is it all roms? (Not sure if this is even a question, now, with treble around)

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Is that a known bug or an isolated incident? And then, is it all roms? (Not sure if this is even a question, now, with treble around)

On Oneplus devices it's a known bug. Numerous threads and attempted fixes for it. Just one example below.

https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-6t/how-to/guide-notification-fix-100-t3865551

It's an issue with OOS, so doesn't effect AOSP based ROMs like Omnirom. No problems at all since I flashed it.

Interestingly, my work colleague has just bought a Oneplus 7 and has already noticed the same issue without me mentioning it.

Last edited:

culiacanazo

On Oneplus devices it's a known bug. Numerous threads and attempted fixes for it. Just one example below.

https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-6t/how-to/guide-notification-fix-100-t3865551

It's an issue with OOS, so doesn't effect AOSP based ROMs like Omnirom. No problems at all since I flashed it.

Interestingly, my work colleague has just bought a Oneplus 7 and has already noticed the same issue without me mentioning it.
Ok ok i misunderstood you to mean those notifications were late in Omni, but i got it, now, thank you.

xls654

Sep 4, 2009
ShangHai
This is not problem or bug, if use "OnePlus Launcher", in recents you can lock the corresponding activity, prevent kill background processes,

if don't use "OnePlus Launcher", run this adb command

settings put system com_oneplus_systemui_recent_task_lockd_list {com.topjohnwu.magisk/a.c#0}{com.mycompany.MyAndroidApp/com.mycompany.MyAndroidApp.MainActivity#0}

prevent killing com.topjohnwu.magisk and com.mycompany.MyAndroidApp

PS: com.mycompany.MyAndroidApp : apps package name, com.mycompany.MyAndroidApp.MainActivity: apps home activity, #0 : 0 user id

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8892904

Anyone got any idea how to WhiteList apps from Battery Optimization. I want to WhiteList Google Play Store and bunch of Other Apps but they don't appear in the Battery Optimization menu, neither in Battery Setting nor in Advanced App Permission. I can get the Menu to show app with all the apps but all the Apps I WhiteList are automatically removed on Reboot. This is getting real annoying and is the whole reason I flashed a Custom ROM in the first place. I can't even download anything from the Play Store as it's killed as soon as I turn the screen off and the Download then Stops.

culiacanazo

Anyone got any idea how to WhiteList apps from Battery Optimization. I want to WhiteList Google Play Store and bunch of Other Apps but they don't appear in the Battery Optimization menu, neither in Battery Setting nor in Advanced App Permission. I can get the Menu to show app with all the apps but all the Apps I WhiteList are automatically removed on Reboot. This is getting real annoying and is the whole reason I flashed a Custom ROM in the first place. I can't even download anything from the Play Store as it's killed as soon as I turn the screen off and the Download then Stops.
Use a shortcut; you may need a module from magisk to be able to touch GMS, otherwise known as play services

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190616-041624.jpg
    Screenshot_20190616-041624.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 286
  • Screenshot_20190616-042317.jpg
    Screenshot_20190616-042317.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 281

archraziel

Feb 23, 2012
SP
I know this is an OP6T but I have an OP5 with all this on build prop.
Which should I change the value, and to what?

ro.vendor.qti.sys.fw.bservice_enable=true
ro.vendor.qti.sys.fw.bservice_limit=5
ro.vendor.qti.sys.fw.bservice_age=5000

Sepero

Dec 11, 2012
I have a lot of Messengers on my phone to keep in contact with everyone: Facebook, Skype, Wire, Riot (encrypted), and more. If they aren't running, then I don't get incoming message notifications.

My "Work Around" for keeping background processes running:
1) Do all the usual battery settings stuff (don't optimize app).
2) Put a Lock on all desired apps. This is done in the recents menu. (see screenshot)
3) Use Tasker to check every half hour if the apps are running. If not, then start them.

Tasker check if app is running, New Task:

New Action -> Code -> Run Shell
Command:
pidof com.facebook.orca
Store Output:
%out

New Action -> App -> Launch App
App:
Facebook Messenger
If:
%out !Set

Repeat these 2 Actions for every app you want to make sure stays running in the background.

Caveat:
When Tasker starts an app, you will see it appear in the foreground, and it will come over any app you're currently using.

Feel Free to copy and repost this information anywhere. No credit to me required. (public domain)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191001-165316__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20191001-165316__01.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is it possible for the fingerprint to work in custom roms without google adding support for inscreen readers into the source code?
    For me the fingerprint issue is the only reason I havent left OOS also. I had the og pixel before this phone and I just prefer the Pie experience the way Aosp delivers it.

Also can anyone tell me if there is a way i can enable smart text selection and photo sharing from the recents menu?
    Not as of now. But Omni guys have cracked the code (not literally), and have FP working. They haven't released it for public use yet, but I have spoken to one of the Omni team, and he has confirmed it.
    I feel it's not long before we have FP working on custom ROMs..
    I had this issue horribly on stock. I use VoIP or sip calling in the stock dialer. Frequently I would miss calls as even the stock dialer was getting killed. Other examples were workout apps like Google fit or endomondo being killed within 5 minutes of starting a workout. YouTube music would get killed while listening to music as well. Pinning the apps in events had no effect, and turning off optimizations or adaptive battery had absolutely no effect whatsoever! Apps are simply being killed while in active use.

Switching to lineage or custom Rom fixed it so it was obviously too aggressive of ram management and killing of apps I concluded. So I decided to install a custom kernel on stock oos again and then adjust the LMK setting to essentially never kill the apps. Low and behold, I have no issues anymore with apps being killed! Apps never get killed on me anymore and I never miss notifications or phone calls anymore! And I can get through workouts and music never stops. The phone finally makes use of the ram it has and my battery is just as good as always! Without adjusting the LMK I was still having apps being killed.

We have 6 to 8gb of freaking ram! Why the hell OnePlus is killing apps so aggressively is beyond me, but it's not making use of the Ram in these phones at all and is a complete waste! So give it a try. I'm not sure you can adjust this without root or custom kernel, but it's officially fixed the problem for me. Also, all optimization and adaptive battery settings are left on with the LMK adjusted to the absolute lightest settings. No extra battery drain over stock. In fact, my battery is better as I'm guessing the CPU doesn't have to work as hard every time I open apps back up.
    I have a lot of Messengers on my phone to keep in contact with everyone: Facebook, Skype, Wire, Riot (encrypted), and more. If they aren't running, then I don't get incoming message notifications.

My "Work Around" for keeping background processes running:
    1) Do all the usual battery settings stuff (don't optimize app).
    2) Put a Lock on all desired apps. This is done in the recents menu. (see screenshot)
    3) Use Tasker to check every half hour if the apps are running. If not, then start them.

Tasker check if app is running, New Task:

New Action -> Code -> Run Shell
    Command:
    pidof com.facebook.orca
    Store Output:
    %out

New Action -> App -> Launch App
    App:
    Facebook Messenger
    If:
    %out !Set

Repeat these 2 Actions for every app you want to make sure stays running in the background.

Caveat:
    When Tasker starts an app, you will see it appear in the foreground, and it will come over any app you're currently using.

Feel Free to copy and repost this information anywhere. No credit to me required. (public domain)
    There is an option in the Developers Option that can make your screen always on. just enable it on developers option.

But the screen dims after a while with that option as per the other 15x this was stated ???
    Because I don't always use navigation in the car and always listen to music. And I want it to be always on *only* when power is connected.

There's a developer option for this: