• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Backtrack 5 for the DNA

Search This thread

hkbladelawhk

Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
UPDATE: With the new release of Kali Linux, I started playing around and got their raw disk image put into a mountable img. Download can be found at https://www.cubby.com/pl/kaliarm_mod.img.7z/_f9cd8b50b18b441da2969053cb15c71c. The Kali image is not exactly resizable, and will require 5 gigs of space. I haven't tested it yet, but hypothetically if you name it the same, and put it in the bt5 directory, it should work the same. Report back if you have issues.

I spend a good few hours today working this out. I have been a long fan of Backtrack, and was unable to get it to work on the DNA reliably, until now. Here are the modified scripts.

YOU MUST BE ROOTED AND HAVE BUSYBOX FOR THIS TO WORK, I RUN DSB'S KERNEL AND UKB, WORKS FINE FOR ME. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THESE INSTRUCTIONS OR SCRIPTS ON YOUR PHONE, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Included:
bootbt - starts up the loop device, and mounts all the needed partitions
ubt - unmounts the partitions, and sets your path variable back to normal

Instructions:
Download the ARM img file from Backtrack's site, Copy the bt5.img and other files (EXCEPT the bootbt) onto your sdcard into a folder named bt5.
Open terminal emulator and type su. cd to /sdcard/bt5 and type sh bootbt. Profit.

The bt image file is about 4.9 gigabytes. Technically it doesn't need to be that large, as the file structure is only about 2.5 gigs of space in use. If you want to resize it, you need to open up a Linux based VM or be on a linux machine and do the following terminal commands as root. (IE Sudo/SU)

This will create a blank image file that is about 3.2 gigs with 1 meg blocks
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/new/btsmall.img bs=1m count=3300

This will create an ext file system for said image, make sure to say yes when it warns about being a special block.
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /path/to/new/btsmall.img -N 35000

This will create mounts to open the two image files
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/btlarge
sudo mkdir /mnt/btsmall

This will mount the two files, then copy one into the other, recursively
Code:
mount -o loop /path/to/large/bt5.img /mnt/btlarge
mount -o loop /path/to/small/bt5.img /mnt/btsmall
cp -Rfpv /mnt/btlarge/* /mnt/btsmall/

Once they are done, unmount
Code:
umount /mnt/bt5large
umount /mnt/bt5small

From there, copy over to your storage and make sure the file path reads /sdcard/bt5/bt5.img as that's what the scripts are meant to read.

Last edited:

desheh

Jan 15, 2010
Is that dual boot or it comes instead of the android os?

Have you tried monitor mode on the wife card? :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

hkbladelawhk

Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Is that dual boot or it comes instead of the android os?

Have you tried monitor mode on the wife card? :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

No, it's a VM, it just mounts the .img file and pushes you into the command line of it. For the most part, I've played with it using command line, VNC is annoying to set up IMO.

As for monitor mode, no, airmon isn't even included in the image. I'm still looking for a way to get git working so I can update metasploit, as they moved away from svn.

Though, it looks like someone else managed to tweak the Galaxy SII and Nexus One chipsets to allow it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1892535

If anyone knows our chipset, please do feel free to post it.

hololight

Dec 18, 2010
I misread your post and thought that the new Kali image you posted could be resized... not really as the kali FS is about 4.1 ~ 4.2 gig. The problem I have is that both my internal and external SD (I am actually on a Galaxy Note) are formated vfat(fat32); thus file size is limited to just over 4 gig. Sucks as the other options for kali I have tried have fallen through and I was hoping your image would work well.

linuxonandroid(app on market): basically just a debian install with all apt sources pointing to the kali repo's
my own rootfs I built: wont boot
Linux Deploy(app on market): doesn't work right either

Ni5hant

Apr 3, 2016
Lucknow
chroot:can't execute:

I have problem on chroot command it shows chroot:can't execute:/bin/bash: file or directory not found..any help..please

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: With the new release of Kali Linux, I started playing around and got their raw disk image put into a mountable img. Download can be found at https://www.cubby.com/pl/kaliarm_mod.img.7z/_f9cd8b50b18b441da2969053cb15c71c. The Kali image is not exactly resizable, and will require 5 gigs of space. I haven't tested it yet, but hypothetically if you name it the same, and put it in the bt5 directory, it should work the same. Report back if you have issues.

I spend a good few hours today working this out. I have been a long fan of Backtrack, and was unable to get it to work on the DNA reliably, until now. Here are the modified scripts.

YOU MUST BE ROOTED AND HAVE BUSYBOX FOR THIS TO WORK, I RUN DSB'S KERNEL AND UKB, WORKS FINE FOR ME. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THESE INSTRUCTIONS OR SCRIPTS ON YOUR PHONE, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Included:
    bootbt - starts up the loop device, and mounts all the needed partitions
    ubt - unmounts the partitions, and sets your path variable back to normal

Instructions:
    Download the ARM img file from Backtrack's site, Copy the bt5.img and other files (EXCEPT the bootbt) onto your sdcard into a folder named bt5.
    Open terminal emulator and type su. cd to /sdcard/bt5 and type sh bootbt. Profit.

The bt image file is about 4.9 gigabytes. Technically it doesn't need to be that large, as the file structure is only about 2.5 gigs of space in use. If you want to resize it, you need to open up a Linux based VM or be on a linux machine and do the following terminal commands as root. (IE Sudo/SU)

This will create a blank image file that is about 3.2 gigs with 1 meg blocks
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/new/btsmall.img bs=1m count=3300

This will create an ext file system for said image, make sure to say yes when it warns about being a special block.
    Code:
    mkfs.ext4 /path/to/new/btsmall.img -N 35000

This will create mounts to open the two image files
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/btlarge
    sudo mkdir /mnt/btsmall

This will mount the two files, then copy one into the other, recursively
    Code:
    mount -o loop /path/to/large/bt5.img /mnt/btlarge
    mount -o loop /path/to/small/bt5.img /mnt/btsmall
    cp -Rfpv /mnt/btlarge/* /mnt/btsmall/

Once they are done, unmount
    Code:
    umount /mnt/bt5large
    umount /mnt/bt5small

From there, copy over to your storage and make sure the file path reads /sdcard/bt5/bt5.img as that's what the scripts are meant to read.
    For anyone else who had no idea what the heck backtrack 5 is, it's a unique GNU/Linux distribution

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1079898

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2