Search This thread

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
Saw your 2018 post of converting userdata*****.backup to a different file, couldn't understand a thing, so if you could explain that to me step by step? Please :(
there is already step by step tutorial
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3775129
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3899918

Thanks a ton for this, but it shows the same error as in post #28
try again with proper download agent (have updated attachment #36). can you flash (unmodified) stock boot.img?

How can I check if its encrypted or not?
open userdata_*.backup with HxD hex editor. scroll down the first 512 bytes (this is the checksum header can be ignored). after this, partition image starts. if you can see several zeros in serial, that file is unencrypted

Last edited:

deadmanspeaks

Mar 2, 2021
there is already step by step tutorial
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3775129
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3899918

try again with proper download agent (have updated attachment #36). can you flash (unmodified) stock boot.img?

open userdata_*.backup with HxD hex editor. scroll down the first 512 bytes (this is the checksum header can be ignored). after this, partition image starts. if you can see several zeros in serial, that file is unencrypted
Yes, there are several zeroes there, after first 512 bytes

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
good, in that case you can safely unlock bootloader, install TWRP and restore the backup with bckp2raw.zip. if you are not interested in sms, whatsapp etc you can also extract pictures only with bckp2win.sh (or do it manually like this)

Last edited:

deadmanspeaks

Mar 2, 2021
check files in b2wtmp/data/media/0 for pictures
16187756214648689519345327192911.jpg

Do I need to do all of it again?😥
My file was 27 GB, the drive had 73GB free

Last edited:

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
i am not sure what happened most likely not enough disk space for creating TWRP backup. or some file is corrupt and therefore not readable.

anyway, if you are interested in extracted files only, you should copy it during halftime break.

you can exit the script with CTRL + C when you see message: "Press 'y' to unlock: [y/n]"

also see tips in troubleshooting section. you can use parameter -f to save time and continue previous session, and use -e to exclude instagram from new TWRP backup (if you think that causes error)

Last edited:

deadmanspeaks

Mar 2, 2021
i am not sure what happened most likely not enough disk space for creating TWRP backup. or some file is corrupt and therefore not readable.

anyway, if you are interested in extracted files only, you should copy it during halftime break.

you can exit the script with CTRL + C when you see message: "Press 'y' to unlock: [y/n]"

also see tips in troubleshooting section. you can use parameter -f to save time and continue previous session, and use -e to exclude instagram from new TWRP backup (if you think that causes error)
I pressed ctrl+c at halftime, now I have a 27gb userdata_xxxxxxxx_xxxxxx.backup file. How to open this now?

Also, I tried with a disk having 150gb free space with that 27gb file, but it again showed the same error not enough disk space

AND, I flashed the boot.img, you sent in post #36, it is still in bootloop
I tried adb with
1. Connected cable when it was turned off
2. Went to recovery mode and selected "apply update from adb"
In both the cases when I wrote ".\adb devices", nothing showed up below list of attached devices. 😓

There is an interesting part, I have another phone, exactly same model, I thought I'd try to restore those files to that phone, bot I guess it will also go in bootloop as when I did factory reset in my own device, it then functioned properly, which means the issue is somewhere in that userdata backup file only :(

Last edited:

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
the file is mounted into b2wtmp/data all files are in there b2wtmp/data/media/0

i did not modify boot.img and of course that won't fix boot loop

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
- you can also mount partition image manually
sudo mount <source file> <target directory>
- after mounted, type
sudo thunar <directory>
- then goto - View - Show hidden files
- you can browse files with admin rights now
- copy & paste data/media/0 to your windows disk

deadmanspeaks

Mar 2, 2021
- you can also mount partition image manually
sudo mount <source file> <target directory>
- after mounted, type
sudo thunar <directory>
- then goto - View - Show hidden files
- you can browse files with admin rights now
- copy & paste data/media/0 to your windows disk
Partition image as in, individual userdata_xxxxxxxx_xxxxxx.backup files?
I think I tried this but it didn't go well

deadmanspeaks

Mar 2, 2021
that works only with 27gb userdata_xxxxxxxx_xxxxxx.backup file created from script
Thank you so so so so so so so much brother!!!
Thanks to that post of yours, I'm able to access all my files now, I've copied them to my PC and I have all those files, that I wanted
Don't know how to thank you more!
You're like a God!
Thanks for bearing with me these days and all the stupid requests and questions. You're the best💯

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
your apps data is in data/data/<pkgname> and can be restored with Migrate. Unfortunately it requires rooted device. If you are interested in this, unlocked bootloader is required.

Unlock bootloader method 1

- read about unlocking bootloader (sign up required)
- enable OEM unlocking in developer options
- enter fastboot mode
- get unlock token
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- request unlock code from motorola
- unlock bootloader
fastboot oem unlock <code>

Unlock bootloader method 2

- flash the whole ROM XT1770-10_NICKLAUS_RETIN_7.1.1_NMA26.42-169_subsidy-UNLOCKED_model-INDIA_CFC_SVC from post #25. This is the unlocked version

Once your bootloader is unlocked, install TWRP from fastboot and report back
- fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.3-1-nicklaus.img
- Volume Up + Power to enter recovery mode

deadmanspeaks

Mar 2, 2021
your apps data is in data/data/<pkgname> and can be restored with Migrate. Unfortunately it requires rooted device. If you are interested in this, unlocked bootloader is required.

Unlock bootloader method 1

- read about unlocking bootloader (sign up required)
- enable OEM unlocking in developer options
- enter fastboot mode
- get unlock token
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- request unlock code from motorola
- unlock bootloader
fastboot oem unlock <code>

Unlock bootloader method 2

- flash the whole ROM XT1770-10_NICKLAUS_RETIN_7.1.1_NMA26.42-169_subsidy-UNLOCKED_model-INDIA_CFC_SVC from post #25. This is the unlocked version

Once your bootloader is unlocked, install TWRP from fastboot and report back
- fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.3-1-nicklaus.img
- Volume Up + Power to enter recovery mode
Thank you so much! I'll do that in coming days, although I just wanted some files and I was able to access them, so root isn't actually required, but still I can use the phone for other purposes after root as it's a spare one for me. Thanks anyways :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    again, please don't use wrong scatter file, you will seriously brick your device. use that one from post #18 for nicklaus (see attachment). do a readback of stock recovery first. unpack ramdisk with AIK. this way you know if scatter file matches. only then, flash TWRP. power off device completely and make sure preloader drivers installed (should look like this in device manager)

after successful flashing, press and keep hold Volume Up Button while disconnecting + reconnecting usb cable to PC, keep holding until you see TWRP logo

(in case TWRP does not boot you should see something like red state - failed boot. in that case TWRP is a dead end, and your only chance left is modifying boot.img to get adb access. at this point it might necessary to flash stock recovery backup from readback back to device)
    wait, you did factory reset already? in that case crypto footer is reset too. backup is encrypted and therefore useless unless crypto-footer is restored.

you said you restored backup, are you sure? does the phone boot into lock screen like before and is pattern still the same?
    So, what length and start address am I supposed to enter in hex?
    refer to scatter file

nicklaus.jpg

check your model name owens (XT1774 XT1775 XT1776) or nicklaus (XT1771 XT1772 XT1773)

download scatter file matching to your device model
    https://motostockrom.com/motorola-moto-e4-plus-xt1770
    https://motostockrom.com/motorola-moto-e4-plus-xt1771-dual-sim
    https://motostockrom.com/motorola-moto-e4-plus-xt1772
    https://motostockrom.com/motorola-moto-e4-plus-xt1773
    https://motostockrom.com/motorola-moto-e4-plus-xt1775

And you shared the link AIK, in that there are so many options, which one do I have to select?
    Android.Image.Kitchen.v3.7-Win32.zip

Code:
    S_BROM_CMD_STARTCMD_FAIL (2005)
    [BROM] can not pass bootrom start command! Possibly target power up too early.
    pretty much self explaining.

why flash boot.img? are you sure that scatter matches your partition layout (you will erase wrong area if not)!?
    That's why you must disable Antivirus
    good, you got preloader working now! :)

that error is different. looks like flashing is forbidden because of signature mismatch.

read back boot + recovery first. use the files from device only (NMA26.42-169).

after readback: try to flash that files back to device as it is. this is just to figure out if the problem is with partition signature, or with SP Flash Tool secure boot Download Agent (auth_sv5.auth file may required)