How To Guide Backup full firmware(ROM) of any MediaTek device using MTK client| Oppo reno6 5G | MT6877

Search This thread

Nand kumar

Aug 12, 2017
OPPO Reno 6 5G
Hello Guys,
Many times we encounter a situation where we need to do some software update, flash custom ROM, install stock ROM etc, so it is advisable to take full firmware/ROM backup of your device. If required then you can flash this backup to restore your device.

We will use MTK client Github tool for this backup process and using same tool we can flash the backup firmware.

This method has been tested on OPPO Reno6 5G which is powered by MediaTek MT6877 chip. Backup size was approx 12 GB. Using this method you can backup firmware of any other supported MediaTek chip in this tool. In this method I don't backup userdata because this tool backups entire partition size irrespective of actual data stored.

Step1: Pre-requisite -Installing required drivers and doing setup

Install MediaTek driver.
Install python(during installation of python please select "install for all user" from customization and tick add path to system variable).
install usbdk.
download extarct Mtk client tool.
go to folder where you extract mtk client

View attachment 5541629
open cmd here and run below command

cd mtkclient
pip3 install -r requirements.txt

Step2: Create a new folder/directory in your computer to store the backup files.
1645512912171.png

Step3: Run full firmware backup
In cmd run command below, please skip userdata partition only because of very huge size.

python mtk rl --skip userdata "<full path to store the backup files>"

1645511794279.png

1645512006399.png

Once all the partitions dumped it will show message "All dumped partitions success"

During backup process it will dump the device preloader, this file is very important so, please keep this file safely. this file may require in future.
1645350709992.png

Step3: Reboot the phone
Once backup is done, you can restart your phone by pressing vol up and power button together for 30 sec.

Step4: How to Restore (if required)

Backup process might have created approximately 58 files but we do not need to flash all those files.

We only need to flash below files, so create a new folder and copy all these 33 files from original backup to your newly created folder.

audio_dsp.bin
boot.bin
cam_vpu1.bin
cam_vpu2.bin
cam_vpu3.bin
cdt_engineering.bin
dpm_1.bin
dpm_2.bin
dtbo.bin
gpt_backup.bin
gpt_main.bin
gz1.bin
gz2.bin
lk.bin
lk2.bin
logo.bin
mcupm_1.bin
mcupm_2.bin
md1img.bin
oplusreserve2.bin
pi_img.bin
recovery.bin
scp1.bin
scp2.bin
spmfw.bin
sspm_1.bin
sspm_2.bin
super.bin
tee1.bin
tee2.bin
vbmeta.bin
vbmeta_system.bin
vbmeta_vendor.bin

open cmd and type below command

python mtk wl "<full path where 33 files are stored>"

Backup should be restored on same device from which it was taken else device may brick.

Thanks and Regards
Nand,

Attachments

• 1645511640883.png
    1645511640883.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 309
  • 1645511752695.png
    1645511752695.png
    626.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

jason__

May 17, 2022
Please please, i have a question. can i use that firmware on oppo reno4 z 5G, has a model CPH2065
if not where i can find one for my device?
please i have oppo reno4 z 5G and model number CPH2065

jason__

May 17, 2022
Firmware size is 8 gb so I think it support all countries. You will get drop down list to select country while flashing. Download and extract and see if it has ofp file
Sorry for being late sir.
Yeah it has that file. but i installed realme flash, and some drivers were available in the package. then when i try to fastboot my phone (down volume key + power key) i find that my phone is not accessible.
i download every possible driver that i could find online and nothing.
also, when i try to fastboot my phone, i enter recovery mode. are they the same?
Please help me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 100

ineedroot69

Nov 13, 2019
Sorry for being late sir.
Yeah it has that file. but i installed realme flash, and some drivers were available in the package. then when i try to fastboot my phone (down volume key + power key) i find that my phone is not accessible.
i download every possible driver that i could find online and nothing.
also, when i try to fastboot my phone, i enter recovery mode. are they the same?
Please help me.
i think you need to enter EDL mode aka download mode and not fastboot for that tool...

SwapScout

Jun 27, 2019
Hello Guys,
Many times we encounter a situation where we need to do some software update, flash custom ROM, install stock ROM etc, so it is advisable to take full firmware/ROM backup of your device. If required then you can flash this backup to restore your device.

We will use MTK client Github tool for this backup process and using same tool we can flash the backup firmware.

This method has been tested on OPPO Reno6 5G which is powered by MediaTek MT6877 chip. Backup size was approx 12 GB. Using this method you can backup firmware of any other supported MediaTek chip in this tool. In this method I don't backup userdata because this tool backups entire partition size irrespective of actual data stored.

Install MediaTek driver.
Install python(during installation of python please select "install for all user" from customization and tick add path to system variable).
install usbdk.

View attachment 5541629

cd mtkclient

Step2: Create a new folder/directory in your computer to store the backup files.
View attachment 5543511
In cmd run command below, please skip userdata partition only because of very huge size.

View attachment 5543497

View attachment 5543501

Once all the partitions dumped it will show message "All dumped partitions success"

During backup process it will dump the device preloader, this file is very important so, please keep this file safely. this file may require in future.
1645350709992.png

Once backup is done, you can restart your phone by pressing vol up and power button together for 30 sec.

Backup process might have created approximately 58 files but we do not need to flash all those files.

We only need to flash below files, so create a new folder and copy all these 33 files from original backup to your newly created folder.

audio_dsp.bin
boot.bin
cam_vpu1.bin
cam_vpu2.bin
cam_vpu3.bin
cdt_engineering.bin
dpm_1.bin
dpm_2.bin
dtbo.bin
gpt_backup.bin
gpt_main.bin
gz1.bin
gz2.bin
lk.bin
lk2.bin
logo.bin
mcupm_1.bin
mcupm_2.bin
md1img.bin
oplusreserve2.bin
pi_img.bin
recovery.bin
scp1.bin
scp2.bin
spmfw.bin
sspm_1.bin
sspm_2.bin
super.bin
tee1.bin
tee2.bin
vbmeta.bin
vbmeta_system.bin
vbmeta_vendor.bin

Backup should be restored on same device from which it was taken else device may brick.

Thanks and Regards
Nand,
Can I ask how much time will it take to backup without userdata

mohdsha

Aug 4, 2022
handshake fail.PNG

idk why but my hanshake keeps failing.
i installed drivers as mentioned,but no coms showing up on device manager.
devmgr.png

i think that when we install all drivers it usually shows like mtk device in devmgr,but it doesnt.

also i cant go to preloader mode easily.when i switch off phone and connect usb,it automatically turns back on.

why does it keep failing please help.are there any other methods for backup.like using sp flashtool.
pls help someone.

mamomia

Jan 24, 2012
View attachment 5695877
idk why but my hanshake keeps failing.
i installed drivers as mentioned,but no coms showing up on device manager.
View attachment 5695881
i think that when we install all drivers it usually shows like mtk device in devmgr,but it doesnt.

also i cant go to preloader mode easily.when i switch off phone and connect usb,it automatically turns back on.

why does it keep failing please help.are there any other methods for backup.like using sp flashtool.
pls help someone.
ihave the same issue, did you find any solution to going into preloading?

jinxt

May 17, 2009

can a backup of the 33 files be applied to a new device which is exactly the same model without bricking it? (ie. a rom transfer to create a clone onto second device)

Hello and thank you so much for your guide. I was able to get everything setup for the most part, but I am held up by two problems, I'm sure they are simple but I would appreciate any help if anyone knows the answer.

Problem number one, is the correct vcom driver, the preloader one as shown in this
1.PNG

Or should I be using another?

My other question is, what is the correct terminology for what we are trying to achieve by getting the phone to register in the MTK client? Like, are we trying to get it to "boot into preloader mode"?

2.PNG

I am unable to get my phone to register or show in device manager or with the mtk client, to get it to post into the "preloader" mode. Since I do not know how to adequately describe what I am trying to do, I am having a hard time even searching on google for more help. If anyone can give me any help in grammer google search or direct knowledge on this simple part i would appreciate it

The answer to the driver question is to install all of them not just one. This discussion on reddit has some comments which go into more discussion of the bootrom protection and other github repos to achieve this. So to answer my main question about the phone not being detected by the MTK client it seems there is one more step for myself and other folks in this condition.
This guide explains how the MTK devices load the preloader. It is only up for 1 second apparently

wetito

Dec 12, 2014
reggio emilia
Xiaomi Mi A3
thanks a lot!!!! i have installed easily mtk client on garuda linux, and works very well (used for restore stook boot and solve a bootloop that seems impossible to solve). this guide is what i'm searching from some week. a way to do a full backup of my phone, userdata included

my suggestion for install mtkclient and other android tool is switch to garuda linux. if you try linux, you will never use windows again. garuda app manager with chaotic-aur have all software that you need. try to believe

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jenneh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Guys,

Install MediaTek driver.
    install usbdk.

View attachment 5541629

cd mtkclient

1645512912171.png

1645511794279.png

1645512006399.png

1645350709992.png

audio_dsp.bin
    boot.bin
    cam_vpu1.bin
    cam_vpu2.bin
    cam_vpu3.bin
    cdt_engineering.bin
    dpm_1.bin
    dpm_2.bin
    dtbo.bin
    gpt_backup.bin
    gpt_main.bin
    gz1.bin
    gz2.bin
    lk.bin
    lk2.bin
    logo.bin
    mcupm_1.bin
    mcupm_2.bin
    md1img.bin
    oplusreserve2.bin
    pi_img.bin
    recovery.bin
    scp1.bin
    scp2.bin
    spmfw.bin
    sspm_1.bin
    sspm_2.bin
    super.bin
    tee1.bin
    tee2.bin
    vbmeta.bin
    vbmeta_system.bin
    vbmeta_vendor.bin

Thanks and Regards
    Nand,
    Please please, i have a question. can i use that firmware on oppo reno4 z 5G, has a model CPH2065
    if not where i can find one for my device?
    please i have oppo reno4 z 5G and model number CPH2065
    No. you can NOT use.
    ihave the same issue, did you find any solution to going into preloading?
    no bro.. im still trying .. i use a 5a cable..maybe we need og cable to coonect.idk i will try some troubleshooting.if successfull ,i will let you know.
    thanks a lot!!!! i have installed easily mtk client on garuda linux, and works very well (used for restore stook boot and solve a bootloop that seems impossible to solve). this guide is what i'm searching from some week. a way to do a full backup of my phone, userdata included

my suggestion for install mtkclient and other android tool is switch to garuda linux. if you try linux, you will never use windows again. garuda app manager with chaotic-aur have all software that you need. try to believe