Backup HTC 10 with broken screen

Search This thread
Feb 22, 2021
Hey guys, I am trying to pull data from my HTC 10 via adb. I accidently dunked my phone in water and now my screen is black but still responsive. Phone has usb-debugging enabled but not rooted. I have a second HTC 10 which I am using for reference and a test run. When I boot into recovery, adb devices shows that the device is in sideload mode. What should I do now?

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
If the data of interest are stored in Android's user-space ( i.e. /storage/emulated/0 AKA /sdcard ) then you at any time can try to pull them by means of ADB

Example code what pulls entire /sdcard folder
Code:
mkdir C:\Data-Pulled
adb devices
adb pull /storage/emulated/0 C:\Data-Pulled

Feb 22, 2021
Confused.

You boot into ADB Sideload mode only if you want to re-flash phone's Stock ROM. To pull data you have to boot phone in ADB Normal mode, means into phone's Android OS.
The problem is that my phone is password protected. Normally when I connect my phone there is a prompt to confirm usb-debugging. I can't press yes to that prompt because I can't see it. I tried booting to recovery mode but all I could get was sideload mode. I could also load something through sd card, maybe a command somehow?

ineedroot69

Nov 13, 2019
" I am trying to pull data from my HTC 10 via adb. I accidently dunked my phone in water and now my screen is black but still responsive."

I almost choked reading this ahaha is there a water bucket waiting around :ROFLMAO: also how did you know its still responsive if screen is black :unsure: also you provably need a screen repair at this point

• Haha
Reactions: jjgvv
Feb 22, 2021
" I am trying to pull data from my HTC 10 via adb. I accidently dunked my phone in water and now my screen is black but still responsive."

I almost choked reading this ahaha is there a water bucket waiting around :ROFLMAO: also how did you know its still responsive if screen is black :unsure: also you provably need a screen repair at this point
There was a water bucket around. I know the screen is responsive because when I press I can hear sounds coming from the device.

• Haha
Feb 22, 2021
Hey guys, so after letting my phone sit in the sun for two days, the screen is now functioning. I am now trying to backup adb, but it always stops around the 5GB mark.

The command I used on cmd is : adb backup -apk -all.

Did I do something wrong?

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
@jjgvv

The Android Backup (*.ab) file is a compressed TAR. It is compressed using the DEFLATE algorithm. On top of that, there can be AES encryption used. This is determined when you create the backup: if you enter a password then the backup is encrypted, otherwise; there is no encryption, it is only compressed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There was a water bucket around. I know the screen is responsive because when I press I can hear sounds coming from the device.
    why not adb pull data
    @jjgvv

The Android Backup (*.ab) file is a compressed TAR. It is compressed using the DEFLATE algorithm. On top of that, there can be AES encryption used. This is determined when you create the backup: if you enter a password then the backup is encrypted, otherwise; there is no encryption, it is only compressed.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone