Backup/Restore N2E

Search This thread

Sun_Cat

Feb 9, 2012
Tucson, AZ
So my question is how can I restore this backup reliably? I've thought of a few possibilities:

1. Rename the .ima to .img and try the standard restore procedure with Diskimager. I think the trouble I had with Diskimager in the first place was that it didn't recognize my computer's built-in card reader. That shouldn't matter with the Nook attached. But I'm not sure whether or not Diskimager will read the renamed .ima correctly, and by the time I find out with the standard procedure, my NST will be a brick.

...I did a trial restore using Diskimager from the renamed .ima (to .img) onto an SD card, and it appears to have worked fine, at least the progress bar was consistent with restoring the whole thing and Partition Wizard reports all the right partition sizes. (Windows can only see the first one.) So assuming there are no other gotchas, the standard instructions ought to work, just substituting Diskimager for Diskimage. Right?

Here's a follow-up report, FWIW. After that successful trial restore, I went ahead and used Diskimager to write the .img directly to the NST. All seemed to be fine until I tried to refresh the library. After spinning for a while, it reported an internal error, exception while trying this operation. All other wi-fi functionality was intact.

To fix this, the first thing I tried was Touch-Formatter via CWM. That seemed to run successfully. It reverted the NST to firmware 1.1.0 and required me to re-register. All okay. But then when I tried to connect via USB to install the 1.1.2 update, I couldn't get a stable USB connection. The "USB Mode" window never displayed on the NST, and Windows would see the attached devices, but the contents would only be visible occasionally for a few seconds. The rest of the time it would say "no media." Not cool.

So I thought it couldn't get much worse, and I fiddled around with a couple of the other things on the CWM thread, including ROM-backup (in case of having to reflash a total stock image), and ending with install_stock_1.1_recovery.

Now finally everything seems all right. I do get the USB Mode pop-up and a stable connection. I was able to copy the 1.1.2 update file onto the device, and it updated normally.

I've no idea why the initial restore didn't quite work or what little tweaks actually happened on the way to total recovery, but maybe someone can learn from my odyssey.

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
Here's a follow-up report, FWIW. After that successful trial restore, I went ahead and used Diskimager to write the .img directly to the NST. All seemed to be fine until I tried to refresh the library. After spinning for a while, it reported an internal error, exception while trying this operation. All other wi-fi functionality was intact.

To fix this, the first thing I tried was Touch-Formatter via CWM. That seemed to run successfully. It reverted the NST to firmware 1.1.0 and required me to re-register. All okay. But then when I tried to connect via USB to install the 1.1.2 update, I couldn't get a stable USB connection. The "USB Mode" window never displayed on the NST, and Windows would see the attached devices, but the contents would only be visible occasionally for a few seconds. The rest of the time it would say "no media." Not cool.

So I thought it couldn't get much worse, and I fiddled around with a couple of the other things on the CWM thread, including ROM-backup (in case of having to reflash a total stock image), and ending with install_stock_1.1_recovery.

Now finally everything seems all right. I do get the USB Mode pop-up and a stable connection. I was able to copy the 1.1.2 update file onto the device, and it updated normally.

I've no idea why the initial restore didn't quite work or what little tweaks actually happened on the way to total recovery, but maybe someone can learn from my odyssey.
If I read it right, you installed stock_1.1_recovery and that alone fixed USB connection issues?
Or you did something else as well?

Sun_Cat

Feb 9, 2012
Tucson, AZ
If I read it right, you installed stock_1.1_recovery and that alone fixed USB connection issues?
Or you did something else as well?

Here are the things I remember doing between having a flaky USB connection and having a consistently good one. I didn't retry the connection after each of these actions, so I can't really say which one or ones made the difference.
  • Booted into CWM, installed ROM Backup, rebooted.
  • Booted into CWM, installed stock_1.1_recovery, rebooted.
It's possible I may have cleared the Dalvik cache in there somewhere, but I think I only did that before I saw the flaky USB connection. I should have taken notes. :laugh:

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
Here are the things I remember doing between having a flaky USB connection and having a consistently good one. I didn't retry the connection after each of these actions, so I can't really say which one or ones made the difference.
It's possible I may have cleared the Dalvik cache in there somewhere, but I think I only did that before I saw the flaky USB connection. I should have taken notes. :laugh:
Does "installed ROM Backup" == restore from backup?

IMO, that's nothing, you just replaced CWM recovery with stock one.

sebastienbo

Jul 21, 2010
Unable to backup with nook glowlight firmware 1.1.5

Hi,

I'm unable to backup with this procedure.

Can anyone help with another procedure ?

After writing nooki.img to microsd:
The microsd card seems to have no effect, it just boots normally and i cant see the internal memory for diskimaging it.

Sun_Cat

Feb 9, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Does "installed ROM Backup" == restore from backup?
No. I installed the rom_backup.zip file from this post, which copies the content of the /rom partition onto the sdcard.
IMO, that's nothing, you just replaced CWM recovery with stock one.
I agree. I don't see why either of these actions would have fixed the USB problem. But apparently something did. Maybe it just wanted to be rebooted several times. Maybe it needed time to settle down from all its adventures. :D I have no clue.

cy80rg

Mar 16, 2005
Help needed - backed up ok, cant restore? Sits at "Your nook is starting up"...

Also, doesnt want to turn off... holding the power button in *usually* gets it to "flash black" (sometimes not) but it still stays on - with the "Your Nook is starting" screen.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Hi guys.

Need some help here if anyone would be so kind :)

Been using XDA-Devs for a while on my Nexus 7 and a hole raft of HTC devices, so pretty savvy with this sort of thing.

Got my GF a Nook SImple Touch for Christmas (main reason that it has Android underneath) - with the idea of rooting and getting Amazon and Google Books apps on for her.

Anywho, followed the tutorial on here, but didnt have any joy (when I tried the first couple of times it sat at the TouchNooter splash screen for HOURS and never got any further, so I gave up and tried to flash her original Rom back on (which I backed up as per this guide).

Booted the Nook into Noogie "Rooted for Ever" splash comes up and stays on screen.

Accessed via USB, removed ALL partitions from the device using MiniTool Partition Wizard (about 5 partitions if I remember)

Put my original back up of GF's ROM to MicroSD using DiskImage1.6 (NB - GF's ROM is 1.82Gb, so I think this is correct as per comments here?)

Put card back in GF's machine (with orginal Rom on) and turn on

Unfortunately, it's been sat at "Your Nook is starting up" for the last 4 hours!!

Not sure what's wrong - though I did read this ...

"If you root your device, the only partitions which are touched are /data and /system, so dont worry for that."

(SRC - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1475613 )

HOw does this related to deleting ALL the partitions in this guide?

I have a feeling (hope) that all the other partitions are standard, and that the personalised stuff (user details / B&N registration etc) are in the partition i've backed up.
Is it a case of needing the other partitions from someone?

Any help much appreciated - before I have to buy my GF a new one on the quiet! ;)

Out of interest, the frustrations I've had with rooting Nook ...

1. Never sure if it's actually on or not (screen can still show stuff when it's "off")
2. Never sure how long things (flash etc) should take, compared to an HTC etc? I understand the Nook's much slower hardware, but should it take longer than the hour I gave it?

NB in hind sight, the only thing I think I can have done wrong is not check the FW version that came stock.
I used TouchNooter 2.1.31 - but I dont know of the Nook itself needed "officially" updating from B&N to the latest version first.
I'll check this if I ever get back into it...

Anyway, there you go - any help much apreciated! :)

Thanks

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Hi guys, also tried to "force into recovery" (equivalent?) using this method...
"
When you boot up the Nook, as soon as the screen changes,
just hold down the bottom left & right side keys until recovery comes up.

The 8 boot thing is really designed for when the Nook is veged and reboots itself continuously.
"

Again - nothing happens (still at "Your NOOK is starting up..." which leads me to believe the factory recovery partition isnt available to boot from?

Also doesnt want to turn off fully. Holding the power button in *sometimes* get it to "flash black" - not always, and it just sits at "Your NOOK is starting" rather than actually turning off to blank screen.

Last edited:

TripleEYE

Jan 13, 2011
Please & Thank You... ^_^;

the nookie.img is not available !!
Can you repost it please ? :)
thanks in advance

First of all thank you (I've also tapped the Thanks button of course :) ).

Now forgive me for asking, but... Can this please be added to the main post?
I had to look through 7 pages of comments to find it, and I'm sure the lack of this link on the main post discouraged a few people from using this guide :angel:

Best wishes,
TripleEYE

EDIT:
Just noticed that on the Linux instructions the link is updated. So my request shrinks down to: Please update on the Windows post too. Thank you :)

Last edited:

TripleEYE

Jan 13, 2011
Image Creation Failed with Roadkiler's DiskImager

So I've tried making a backup, and stumbled upon two issues (both can be seen in the attached image):
  1. The Physical Disk size is 239.98MB and not 1.82GB (I've confirmed that Windows Explorer sees that same 239.98MB size).
  2. I get an "Image Creation Failed (see attached image)

Please help :(
And thank you.

P.S.
I don't know if this helps, but DiskImager also recognizes my main SSD (of 476.94GB) under Physical Disk 0, and another unknown device (I have nothing else connected, but I'm using a Cintiq Companion and it's a special complicated designers' device [by Wacom] so I have no way of knowing if this is an internal disk of some sort... like, for example, the Recovery Partition that comes with this OEM system by default on the computer). This "unknown device" is showing as "Physical Disk 2 (Not Read)".
Hope you can help me find a solution.

Attachments

• ImageCreationFailed.JPG
    ImageCreationFailed.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 88

ZenM

Apr 2, 2013
Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight BNRV350 Noogie backup size

Model=BNRV350
Firmware_Ver=1.2.1
Firmware_Original_Ver=1.2.0

Backup image size=2000683008 bytes

I did the backup on two different PCs one running Windows (using Roadkil's Disk Imager) the other Linux (using DD).

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

So I've tried making a backup, and stumbled upon two issues (both can be seen in the attached image):
  1. The Physical Disk size is 239.98MB and not 1.82GB (I've confirmed that Windows Explorer sees that same 239.98MB size).
  2. I get an "Image Creation Failed (see attached image)

Please help :(
And thank you.

P.S.
I don't know if this helps, but DiskImager also recognizes my main SSD (of 476.94GB) under Physical Disk 0, and another unknown device (I have nothing else connected, but I'm using a Cintiq Companion and it's a special complicated designers' device [by Wacom] so I have no way of knowing if this is an internal disk of some sort... like, for example, the Recovery Partition that comes with this OEM system by default on the computer). This "unknown device" is showing as "Physical Disk 2 (Not Read)".
Hope you can help me find a solution.
Hi I know i'm super late, but who knows may be this will help someone else. This is a guide I made for my own use, its important to understand that the Nook must be properly connected and powered off, plugging it to the PC should wake it. Also do not eject the drive, there is a difference between the device being UNmounted or ejected, in this case u can UNmount all partitions but you should not eject the Nook.
NOTE2 describes how I turn the device off.

"Noogie does not seam to have a Power Off or Exit option one must first unmount and eject then disconnect. Press the Nook's Power button to restart, one might need to press it more than once and for up to 20s, if done correctly the screen will flash doing like a negative image. Remove the SD Card then hold Power to restart it yet again, and lastly if needed turn it off again from the Nook's OS."

Code:
4.2 - Noogie
			SOURCE=http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1142983
			NOTE1="What Noogie does is to grant access the Nook's disk thru USB, following instructions are to make a full drive image."
			NOTE2="Noogie does not seam to have a Power Off or Exit option one must first unmount and eject then disconnect. Press the Nook's Power button to restart, one might need to press it more than once and for up to 20s, if done correctly the screen will flash doing like a negative image. Remove the SD Card then hold Power to restart it yet again, and lastly if needed turn it off again from the Nook's OS."
			NOTE3="Backup Image Size for Nook Simple Touch Glowlight Firmware 1.2.1 MUST BE 2000683008 bytes."
		4.2.1 - Burn noogie.img to SD Card.
		4.2.2 - With the Nook turned off insert SD Card.
		4.2.3 - With the Nook turned off connect to the PC.
		4.2.4 - Make the Image, any software may be used:
			Windows:
				4.2.4.1 - Roadkil Disk Imager > Tab Store Image:
					4.2.4.1.1 - Choose the correct physical disk holding 1.86GBs, do not pick a unit by its drive letter.
					4.2.4.1.2 - Choose the save path.
					4.2.4.1.3 - Press Start.
			Linux:
				4.2.4.2 - dd
					4.2.4.2.1 - Find the Nook's dev, sudo mount or sudo df -h.
					4.2.4.2.1 - sdb will be used as the dev address.
					4.2.4.2.1 - sudo umount /dev/sdb*
						This is not the same as ejecting the drive with KDE.
					4.2.4.2.1 - dd if=/dev/sdb of=noogie_1.2.1.img bs=1M

4.2.5 - Reset Nook, see 4.2 NOTE2.

buf22783

Apr 27, 2018
Tell me please, can I make backup/restore full-image file of my rooted NGP?
I remember procedure with "noogie" and disk image for Nook Simple Touch.
Is it possible in principle? (I know no sd-card on NGP)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BACKUP/RESTORE N2E Win7

Grab a copy of Roadkil's free DiskImager for backup and restore. http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=12

and a copy of free MiniTool Partition Wizard at:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Boot nook with noogie.img : http://nookdevs.com/NookTouch_Rooting (the "Rooted Forever" screen) and connect to your computer via USB.

Use DiskImager to copy your Nook partition to a file, being sure to select "Physical Disk" in the drop down list.

read1.png

read2.png

read3.png

If the process completes, you now have a backup.

To restore your backup:

(Boot Nook with the noogie sd)

Run Partition Wizard and delete all partitions on your Nook. Careful in disk selection here, wiping the wrong drive could be catastrophic! This is required, because DiskImager won't write to a partitioned drive.
    partwiz.jpg

Now run DiskImager and restore your backup to the Nook drive. When done, pull the noogie sd card from the Nook and reboot.

write1.png

write2.png

write3.png

You should be fully restored now.
    Backup/Restore N2E OS X/LINUX

Rule one: Make a backup of your factory fresh Nook ROM.

Linux/Mac: Become root

Boot nook with noogie.img and connect to your computer via USB.

New link here

Linux:
    use df -h to get your nook's /dev/sd? address.
    typically something like: /dev/sdb

OS X:
    use diskutil list to get your nook's memory address.
    typically something like: /dev/disk3

Once you know the address, unmount the Nook.

Code:
    Linux: umount /dev/sdb*
    OS X: diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk1
    Make the backup

Code:
    Linux: dd if=/dev/sdb  of=my_backup.img bs=1M
    OS X: dd if=/dev/disk3  of=my_backup.img bs=1M
    After it is finished, double check and make sure the backup img file is exactly 1958739968 bytes long.

dd can wipe your computer's hard drive, so be careful! Make sure your're plugging the correct drives into the command above.

Restoring your N2E to factory-fresh is a simple reversal of the commands above:

(boot with the noogie sd card first!)

Code:
    Linux: dd if=my_backup.img  of=/dev/sdb  bs=1M
    OS X: dd if=my_backup.img of=/dev/disk3 bs=1M
    Substitute sdb or disk3 above with your Nook's actual address.

This wipes your N2E, restoring the specified image file.

Windows users, see the next post.
    I've tried several time with a Mac and with a PC, with Win32diskimager and dd, with the Nook "brand new" and registered, but my image is always 1.962.934.272 bytes long.

The "dd --list" command give the same result, 1.962.934.272.

The firmware revision of the Nook is 1.0.0, Model number BNRV300.

Anyone else have the same result?

Yep, I have the same result and the same Model Number, I have not tested to restore the image though
    Instead of dumping a 2 Gb big file directly to hd you could pipe it through a compression tool:

Code:
    Dumping:
    dd if=/dev/sdX bs=1M | gzip > blob.img.gz

Restoring:
    gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

Replace gzip with whatever compression tools is wanted.
    lzop -- extremely high throughput, very low compression rate.
    gzip -- high throughput, low compression rate.
    xz -- low throughput, totally awesome compression rate.

Dumping a pretty much stock v1.1 nook with xz results in a img of around 500mb.