Backup/Restore N2E

Search This thread

met67

Apr 16, 2007
New image size from my bro's nook, both with Roadkil and dd, is 1962934272 bytes.
Old image size from my own nook, using Roadkil, is 1958739968 bytes.

Uhhmm...
I also used Roadkil to make a backup of a couple of refurbished Nook and they both are 1.958.739.968 bytes! I also restored using it and had no problem up to now.

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Uhhmm...
I also used Roadkil to make a backup of a couple of refurbished Nook and they both are 1.958.739.968 bytes! I also restored using it and had no problem up to now.

Like I said, as long as it's not smaller than 3792895 sectors (1,941,962,240 bytes), it's most likely ok.

A

ace7196

Hey all,
Just got a NST. Came from NC.
Because I'm a fool/wanted root, I flashed Touch Nooter, and everything is fine.
I know it modded the ramdisk and mlo. Is it "worth it" to still backup? Can I take the mac address I have now and apply it to a general backup I can grab from these forums?

Also, what is the quickest way to enable the "flash to stock" command? NC was 8 failed boots. I know it's similar with the NST, but is there a quicker way (should I want to start "fresh" again?).

Thanks, and I hope the NST people are as awesome as the NC people are :D

Hey all,
Just got a NST. Came from NC.
Because I'm a fool/wanted root, I flashed Touch Nooter, and everything is fine.
I know it modded the ramdisk and mlo. Is it "worth it" to still backup? Can I take the mac address I have now and apply it to a general backup I can grab from these forums?

Also, what is the quickest way to enable the "flash to stock" command? NC was 8 failed boots. I know it's similar with the NST, but is there a quicker way (should I want to start "fresh" again?).

Thanks, and I hope the NST people are as awesome as the NC people are :D

Ros87 made this image which triggers an 8-failed-boots restore
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=18124495&postcount=1
This does NOT delete your data partition; for that you need to select 'erase and deregister nook' from settings or hold L+R bottom pageturn buttons right after beginning to boot up.

There is no general backup. Ros87 was talking about making something like that a while ago, but honestly it's not necessary. Make a full disk backup with dd or Roadkil; I promise you you won't regret it. And then you might wanna install CWM while you're at it...

Last edited:

winstonma

Nov 24, 2005
Hi all,

I just bricked my N2T without any backup (in bootloop) . Is it possible for anyone who can post a copy of backup so I can restore mine.

Thanks in advance.

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
I just bricked my N2T without any backup (in bootloop) . Is it possible for anyone who can post a copy of backup so I can restore mine.

This has been repeated over and over again..

You cannot use a backup from another NST as every NST contains unique data used, amongst other things, to register with B&N.

If someone is dumb enough to give you a copy of their backup, then you'll both risk ending up being unable to register your NST with B&N.

Have a look here and see if that can be of any help, if not, feel free to PM me for further assistance.

CRACING

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 10, 2008
125 Miles From Sea
Hello all,

I got a new Nook Simple Touch and it has pre-updated or pre-installed v1.1

I would like to root the device so I took backup of the device ROM. One from Win32 Disk Imager and two from Roadkil's Disk Image.

Following are the file sizes. Please let me know whether its right or wrong. I don't like to end up the device bricked when I try to restore. The device values me more. :eek:

Image from Win32 Disk Imager is 1,998,743,040 bytes
Image from Roadkil's Disk Image is 2,000,683,008 bytes

I have followed rooting guide from nookdev site (of course also from this thread), but yet not replaced the uRamdisk. Coz want to be sure the backup image is correct.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Attachments

• NookBackup_Win32.JPG
    NookBackup_Win32.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 66
  • NookBackup_Roadkils.JPG
    NookBackup_Roadkils.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
Hello all,
Image from Win32 Disk Imager is 1,998,743,040 bytes
Image from Roadkil's Disk Image is 2,000,683,008 bytes

I have followed rooting guide from nookdev site (of course also from this thread), but yet not replaced the uRamdisk. Coz want to be sure the backup image is correct.

Looks fine to me :)

As long as the backup is bigger than the sum of the actual NST partitions (which I've posted earlier in this thread) you should be on the safe side.

Reactions: CRACING

CRACING

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 10, 2008
125 Miles From Sea
Hello again,

I guess I missed something. Do I need to Erase & Deregister Device before taking backup?

I have removed all my files from main memory but device is registered.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Fulkerson

Jun 16, 2010
Instead of dumping a 2 Gb big file directly to hd you could pipe it through a compression tool:

Code:
Dumping:
dd if=/dev/sdX bs=1M | gzip > blob.img.gz

Restoring:
gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

Replace gzip with whatever compression tools is wanted.
lzop -- extremely high throughput, very low compression rate.
gzip -- high throughput, low compression rate.
xz -- low throughput, totally awesome compression rate.

Dumping a pretty much stock v1.1 nook with xz results in a img of around 500mb.

Reactions: CRACING

case-sensitive

Nov 4, 2010
I used RoadKill to write Noogie.img on to my sd card using Windows 7. The Nook would not boot into Rooted Forever.
So I used DiskImager to write Noogie.img on to the sd card and I booted into Rooted Forever. But neither RoadKill nor DiskImager can find the partitions to back up. I can see a bunch of files on the Nook using Windows file manager or RoadKill. Both Programs see a 75.98mb image but there are no choices to select any other image or partition. Also, Partition Magic sees all of the partitions.
What is wrong and how do I back up?

Solved:
After running as administrator, RoadKill had a physical disk of 1.82GB to select.

I ran RoadKill as administrator (under XP), but I still got a physical disk 1 of size 239.98MB. I also tried to backup under linxu using dd, and I ended up with a backup file of size 252MB.

Under linux, when I typed "df -h" the nook touch appears as /dev/sdd and NOT (e.g.) /dev/sdd1. I booted with noogie.img first and then plug the nook touch into my laptop.

I must have done something wrong but I couldn't figured out why... Help, and thanks!

albertorrent

Aug 28, 2007
HI, I succefully wrote the noogie on my SD with roadkil's but I t is impossible to get to the "rooted forever" screen.

1. I shut down the NST
  2. then I put my SD (with noogies wrote by roadkils) in it
  3. Then I turned it on
  4. Then it booted as a normal boot

I tried several times with differents microSD cards I have always the same result.
I also tried to put in the usb cable at different times as I didn't get the good screen but with no success.

Any advice to help me please ?

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

Ok I found something :

I tried to write the noogies with winimage and not with roadkil's and it worked.

Then I get the rooted forever screen
then I made an image with roadkil's(.img) : 1 953 792 Ko
then I made an image with winimage (.ima) : 1 953 792 Ko

So I gess it worked for me and I can now try to root my device.

bobcdy

Dec 28, 2009
I backup up my rooted Nook Simple Touch according to directions using Noogie and DiskImager. Today I had a major problem with my NST (it had spontaneously done a restore and I thought it was ok, but it wasn't). So I tried a restore using MiniToolPartition Wizard and Diskimager. All seemed to go ok - I deleted all partitions on the Nook, using Partition Wizard to create a partition on it so it would show on my Win 7, and used Diskimager to restore my backup img. Write as 'successful' but it wasn't. The restored Nook would not boot - gave an error and indicated I should reboot. Tried that repeately but did not work. Looks like there is something wrong with the boot file.

I tried a system recovery using n2T-Recovery_0.2.img but that won't work. After 2 minutes when I reboot the message 'Wait 2 minutes..." repeats with each reboot. I looks like I've totally bricked the reader.

OK, I realize what the mistake was, and I know what has to be done.

Last edited:

imachine

Feb 12, 2010
Well, I haven't backed mine up.

The way I see it is:

1) Make an update.zip with /rom/devconf for particular device for CWM usage
2) Obtain an update-system.zip that restores everything else using CWM

When I try to cp /rom to /media I get an error message:

# busybox cp -R /rom .
busybox: remote access failed
# pwd
/media

Any ideas? Google shows windows errors when asked about the error message.

*edit*

It seems I have found the source of the issue ;)

# pwd
/system/xbin
# ls -l busybox
busybox: Stale NFS file handle

So I did this:

# dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 of=/media/rom.img
32768+0 records in
32768+0 records out
16777216 bytes transferred in 10.548 secs (1590558 bytes/sec)

So I feel safe :) Now, can someone point me to the contents of:

/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
/dev/block/mmcblk0p7
/dev/block/mmcblk0p8

for 1.1.0 or whatever is the latest?

Are there any more? busybox doesn't run here, and I can't find fdisk inside the nook using toolbox.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Sun_Cat

Feb 9, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Help restoring .ima

Like this post, I couldn't make Diskimager work right so I resorted to WinImage. When I backed up the NST, I ended up with a .ima file of 1,958,739,968 bytes.

Now I'd like to restore my NST to stock. When I open the .ima in WinImage, it doesn't let me open the whole thing at once for copying. The first thing it asks me is to choose one of seven partitions to open. Here's the list of available partitions:
  • Disk 0, size 77808 MB, FAT32
  • Disk 0, size 16384 MB, FAT32
  • Disk 0, size 194560 MB, Linux
  • Disk 0, size 294896 MB, Linux
  • Disk 0, size 245744 MB, FAT32
  • Disk 0, size 245744 MB, Linux
  • Disk 0, size 821232 MB, Linux

I can supply the internal structures and contents of any of these if that will help.

So my question is how can I restore this backup reliably? I've thought of a few possibilities:

1. Rename the .ima to .img and try the standard restore procedure with Diskimager. I think the trouble I had with Diskimager in the first place was that it didn't recognize my computer's built-in card reader. That shouldn't matter with the Nook attached. But I'm not sure whether or not Diskimager will read the renamed .ima correctly, and by the time I find out with the standard procedure, my NST will be a brick.
  2. Use WinImage and restore each partition separately, one at a time. This would mean not wiping the partitions currently on the NST, and it would mean that those had better match the originals or I'll be screwed.
  3. Use a generic stock .img with the standard instructions, and then use WinImage to restore just the content that differs for each individual Nook. (I don't know where to find that unique content, so I would need help with that.)

Does anyone have a better idea or care to comment on mine? I could really use some help. TIA.

ETA: I was a little confused when I wrote the above. I had actually tried to use Diskimager (I got that part right, but I was also confusing it with Diskimage, which is not the same program and which didn't work at all). I did a trial restore using Diskimager from the renamed .ima (to .img) onto an SD card, and it appears to have worked fine, at least the progress bar was consistent with restoring the whole thing and Partition Wizard reports all the right partition sizes. (Windows can only see the first one.) So assuming there are no other gotchas, the standard instructions ought to work, just substituting Diskimager for Diskimage. Right? (I'd really appreciate some reassurance before I wipe out all the partitions on the NST!)

Last edited:

ApokrifX

May 23, 2011
Like this post, I couldn't make Diskimager work right so I resorted to WinImage. When I backed up the NST, I ended up with a .ima file of 1,958,739,968 bytes.
I’m 100% windows guy, so I use dd. The good thing, you know exactly what you doing

dd --list
Find you nook.

Than do backup:
dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 of=c:\nook-2012-06-22.img bs=1M --size –progress
And opposite for restore

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BACKUP/RESTORE N2E Win7

Grab a copy of Roadkil's free DiskImager for backup and restore. http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=12

and a copy of free MiniTool Partition Wizard at:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Boot nook with noogie.img : http://nookdevs.com/NookTouch_Rooting (the "Rooted Forever" screen) and connect to your computer via USB.

Use DiskImager to copy your Nook partition to a file, being sure to select "Physical Disk" in the drop down list.

read1.png

read2.png

read3.png

If the process completes, you now have a backup.

To restore your backup:

(Boot Nook with the noogie sd)

Run Partition Wizard and delete all partitions on your Nook. Careful in disk selection here, wiping the wrong drive could be catastrophic! This is required, because DiskImager won't write to a partitioned drive.
    partwiz.jpg

Now run DiskImager and restore your backup to the Nook drive. When done, pull the noogie sd card from the Nook and reboot.

write1.png

write2.png

write3.png

You should be fully restored now.
    Backup/Restore N2E OS X/LINUX

Rule one: Make a backup of your factory fresh Nook ROM.

Linux/Mac: Become root

Boot nook with noogie.img and connect to your computer via USB.

New link here

Linux:
    use df -h to get your nook's /dev/sd? address.
    typically something like: /dev/sdb

OS X:
    use diskutil list to get your nook's memory address.
    typically something like: /dev/disk3

Once you know the address, unmount the Nook.

Code:
    Linux: umount /dev/sdb*
    OS X: diskutil unmountdisk /dev/disk1
    Make the backup

Code:
    Linux: dd if=/dev/sdb  of=my_backup.img bs=1M
    OS X: dd if=/dev/disk3  of=my_backup.img bs=1M
    After it is finished, double check and make sure the backup img file is exactly 1958739968 bytes long.

dd can wipe your computer's hard drive, so be careful! Make sure your're plugging the correct drives into the command above.

Restoring your N2E to factory-fresh is a simple reversal of the commands above:

(boot with the noogie sd card first!)

Code:
    Linux: dd if=my_backup.img  of=/dev/sdb  bs=1M
    OS X: dd if=my_backup.img of=/dev/disk3 bs=1M
    Substitute sdb or disk3 above with your Nook's actual address.

This wipes your N2E, restoring the specified image file.

Windows users, see the next post.
    I've tried several time with a Mac and with a PC, with Win32diskimager and dd, with the Nook "brand new" and registered, but my image is always 1.962.934.272 bytes long.

The "dd --list" command give the same result, 1.962.934.272.

The firmware revision of the Nook is 1.0.0, Model number BNRV300.

Anyone else have the same result?

Yep, I have the same result and the same Model Number, I have not tested to restore the image though
    Instead of dumping a 2 Gb big file directly to hd you could pipe it through a compression tool:

Code:
    Dumping:
    dd if=/dev/sdX bs=1M | gzip > blob.img.gz

Restoring:
    gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

Replace gzip with whatever compression tools is wanted.
    lzop -- extremely high throughput, very low compression rate.
    gzip -- high throughput, low compression rate.
    xz -- low throughput, totally awesome compression rate.

Dumping a pretty much stock v1.1 nook with xz results in a img of around 500mb.