Bad camera quality on EMUI 9.1

Search This thread

smack_exTreme

Oct 22, 2010
First things first. I love my Mate 9, and will probably use it till death do us part....

However, the quality of the front and back camera has decreased significantly with EMUI 9.1 update (EMUI 9 included). The autofocus in the video has become worse, stabilization isn't as it should be, and it loses focus continuously, and sometimes the video becomes blurry.

I have read on different forums that many phones had this issue with EMUI 9.1, but most have received fix (software version 295) which our phone has not (and will not) receive. So I am wondering is there a way to port and install old camera from EMUI 8 on EMUI 9? Or to port camera from different phone which has received a fix?

If not is it possible, via dload method (official way) to downgrade EMUI 9.1 to 8? My old P7 had this option (ages ago). My phone is on the latest available software 9.1.0.275 (C432E7R1P8).

I am most definitely sure that my phone does not have a camera hardware issue because I have replaced camera module, with no results (works the same).

Reactions: Negaran

zgfg

• Oct 10, 2016
    First things first. I love my Mate 9, and will probably use it till death do us part....

However, the quality of the front and back camera has decreased significantly with EMUI 9.1 update (EMUI 9 included). The autofocus in the video has become worse, stabilization isn't as it should be, and it loses focus continuously, and sometimes the video becomes blurry.

I have read on different forums that many phones had this issue with EMUI 9.1, but most have received fix (software version 295) which our phone has not (and will not) receive. So I am wondering is there a way to port and install old camera from EMUI 8 on EMUI 9? Or to port camera from different phone which has received a fix?

If not is it possible, via dload method (official way) to downgrade EMUI 9.1 to 8? My old P7 had this option (ages ago). My phone is on the latest available software 9.1.0.275 (C432E7R1P8).

I am most definitely sure that my phone does not have a camera hardware issue because I have replaced camera module, with no results (works the same).
    TG, I don't have my Mate 9 anymore (and generally, no more Huawei phones to vare about)

First, be aware that Huawei removed the old firmwares and e.g. you can no more examine and download them by using FirmwareFinder.
    You will have to find an alternative, trusted store with the old firmwares and with the appropriate info which of those firmwares are suitable for DLOAD (usually, not all firmwares were suitable for DLOAD, and that info was something easy to read from FirmwareFinder)

Second, Hawei changed the Bootloader sometime during the mid of 2018 - it was one (but not the last one) of EMUI 8 releases

It is a well known fact (search through XDA, not only for Mate 9) that downgrading from the new Bootloader (you do have with your EMUI 9) to any firmware with the old Bootloader causes an immediate hard brick, recoverable only by phisically opening the phone, short-cutting Test points and by flashing the board firmware (there was also a thread about the Test point method for Mate 9)

For more info, dive into the old threads and posts, it has been discussed two years ago (people were not aware about the new Bootloader and many Huawei users bricked their phones thinking that they could, as usual, downgrade their phones by DLOAD)

Hence, if you are going to downgrade to EMUI 8, you must downgrade to some of the latest versions that already had the same new Bootloader as you do have with your EMUI 9 (to avoid the brick)

Again, it was all easier when FirmwareFinder worked, because it was possible to distinguish (from date, Security patch, Changelog) which firmware came before or after the Bootloader change

Therefore, take a time and carefully study the old threads to find more info about the Bootloader change and hopefully the information what was the first c432 EMUI 8 build bXXX with the new Bootloader - you must not downgrade to any older firmware than to that one.
    In other words, think twice before you attempt to downgrade to EMUI 8🥸

On the other side, I'm pretty sure that stock camera apps are tied to the EMUI versions, i.e. that you could not 'extract' Huawei camera app from EMUI 8 and to 'install' it to EMUI 9

Of course these are just my thoughts and concerns. Please fill free to dive in and search through the old threads and posts.
    As usual, you should be able to find all answers to your 'new' questions in those old posts

Unfortunately, the phone is no more supported, most users (specially the best hackers) have long ago moved to the other phones (they forgot the stuff and they no more read this Mate 9 forum to answer new questions), hence you could hardly expect a (quick and) knowledgeable answers/comments anymore

Last edited:

smack_exTreme

Oct 22, 2010
    Dude, thank you very much on your reply. You see, there are still good users in this forum :)

I did some digging around, you are very much correct about downgrading via dload method.

However, I've discovered that Hisuite has an option of downgrading, one version at a time.

Now the question is, has Huawei made it safe to downgrade via this method (I'm guessing that they allow downgrade up to a certain point)? Can't find out what are official Huawei forums to ask the question.

zgfg

• Oct 10, 2016
    Dude, thank you very much on your reply. You see, there are still good users in this forum :)

I did some digging around, you are very much correct about downgrading via dload method.

However, I've discovered that Hisuite has an option of downgrading, one version at a time.

Now the question is, has Huawei made it safe to downgrade via this method (I'm guessing that they allow downgrade up to a certain point)? Can't find out what are official Huawei forums to ask the question.
    As long as you are downgrading to EMUI 9.1 you should be safe.
    Unfortunately, not sure how would HiSuite react if you try to cross the BL border (I cannot recall but maybe it would not even show the downgrade possibility then)

But I saw some other people complaining that even by HiSuite they cannot upgrade (hence I don't know would it really work or fail reporting that firmwarwe is not available or something)

zgfg

• Oct 10, 2016
    You may try:

For the Phone Model, enter MHA-L29 (or Mha-l09, what was your model?), Region c432 and scroll down to EMUI 8.0 firmwares.
    E.g., to b377, as on the screenshot

Take the URL of the File List (e.g., open and Share the address, Copy to Clipboard), here it will be:

Replace filelist.xml by changelog.xml:

(By putting the update.zip instead to the URL, you will download b379 update.zip, etc - you can see the filenames in filelist.xml)

and open, you will read the ChangeLog for b377.
    It says:
    >>This update adds the Huawei GPU Turbo...

Although about Graphics, this is actually exactly where Huawei switched to the new Bootloader - downgrading fom b379 to b377 would brick the phone (however, if I recall correctly, one could not force that downgrade by any regular way - it would simply fail, but only by HWOTA8 method, root required - and then the downgrade would brick the phone)

But wait for more info, I'm checking now from ny old friend, Huawei guru (unfortunately no more active on XDA), what about downgrading from 9.1 to 9.0.1 and then to any 8.0, even b379 - if that was dangerous as well

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_203320.jpg
      IMG_20210511_203320.jpg
      380.5 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:

smack_exTreme

Oct 22, 2010
    In the mean time let me explain my frustration.

Imagine WRC finally arriving in your country. You manage to get off of work. The first day of rallying you carry old Lumia 950 (still use it as a work phone, works great for email) with you because I forgot to charge my mate. The pictures and video comes out great. The next day (being a little drunk of course) you find a perfect corner with a tree and it's branch over the corner (about 6 m tall). I climbed it and waited for the cars up there like a monkey just to take the perfect video of certain driver going for it (hint i20 driver), and the bloody slow motion video turns out like ****. Normal video a bit better (because re focusing is less noticable). The pictures didn't turn out good also (skilled eye will notice), despite perfect conditions for taking video and photos..... And it's all because of stupid software.

It kind of suck that lumia 950 takes better video and photo than mate 9....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You may try:

For the Phone Model, enter MHA-L29 (or Mha-l09, what was your model?), Region c432 and scroll down to EMUI 8.0 firmwares.
      E.g., to b377, as on the screenshot

Take the URL of the File List (e.g., open and Share the address, Copy to Clipboard), here it will be:

Replace filelist.xml by changelog.xml:

(By putting the update.zip instead to the URL, you will download b379 update.zip, etc - you can see the filenames in filelist.xml)

and open, you will read the ChangeLog for b377.
      It says:
      >>This update adds the Huawei GPU Turbo...

Although about Graphics, this is actually exactly where Huawei switched to the new Bootloader - downgrading fom b379 to b377 would brick the phone (however, if I recall correctly, one could not force that downgrade by any regular way - it would simply fail, but only by HWOTA8 method, root required - and then the downgrade would brick the phone)

But wait for more info, I'm checking now from ny old friend, Huawei guru (unfortunately no more active on XDA), what about downgrading from 9.1 to 9.0.1 and then to any 8.0, even b379 - if that was dangerous as well
      In the mean time let me explain my frustration.

Imagine WRC finally arriving in your country. You manage to get off of work. The first day of rallying you carry old Lumia 950 (still use it as a work phone, works great for email) with you because I forgot to charge my mate. The pictures and video comes out great. The next day (being a little drunk of course) you find a perfect corner with a tree and it's branch over the corner (about 6 m tall). I climbed it and waited for the cars up there like a monkey just to take the perfect video of certain driver going for it (hint i20 driver), and the bloody slow motion video turns out like ****. Normal video a bit better (because re focusing is less noticable). The pictures didn't turn out good also (skilled eye will notice), despite perfect conditions for taking video and photos..... And it's all because of stupid software.

It kind of suck that lumia 950 takes better video and photo than mate 9....