Bad charging port or bad battery - assistance greatly needed

Search This thread

williamschromebook

Mar 2, 2017
Surprise
n short, I have an HTC U11. I have gotten water in the connector a few times which caused the phone to turn off or fingerprint scanner to stop working but then after a few hours would be fine again. Several months later I noticed it took a very long time to charge. I downloaded an app that basically diagnoses the amperage and it said that it was fine, but I honestly could not tell you if it was true or not. Fast forward a couple of weeks, I drop my phone and the screen cracks. I replaced the screen at home and today the battery still charged slow.

So here is what I did
- Used rubbing alcohol to clean out the charge port and found black gunk inside. I thought it was dry and I plugged the charger in and I received a warning and buzzing stating it was wet or had debris inside. I removed the charger.
- An hour later I plugged it into my car, same problem as a few weeks ago with slow charge, but it was working. I unplugged my phone to go to class. After class I plugged in the USB , noticed slow charge, then pulled the USB C out and back in, I received the warning again and now it wouldn't charge. No red light, no charge now
- Removed the back cover. I noticed the battery has no heat after 5 minutes of being plugged in but the charging port is absolutely on fire. It even smells like melted plastic. I removed all the black gunk, same problem.

Summary of fault
- Gradual slow charge.
- Warning that debris or water damage is in the connector
- Black gunk found inside the connector (but not on the charge port board)
- Charging port board gets hot to touch
- Battery stays cool

The big question:
Charging port or battery?