Ballistic Case Nexus 6

Search This thread

saratogacoach

Nov 23, 2012
Checked on my order with Ballistic customer service this morning, and it shipped yesterday. Had paid for 2nd day FedEx as part of my order. FedEx tracking shows it on its way, due for 12/31/14 delivery.

Maybe, too new for any reviews specific for the N6 Tough Jacket Maxx?

However, I'm quite hopeful. (But, as mentioned, my greatest concern is holster-belt clip sturdiness.) We'll see.

PaisanNYC

Jul 21, 2007
New York City
It kinda seems like they are padding their reviews, or at least are misleading you by putting reviews from other phones on the nexus 6 case. All of those reviews are from early 2014 and don't speak to the quality of the nexus 6 version. Kinda shady and misleading if you ask me. But I'll still look into picking one of these up.

I noticed the same, and that just knocks them down a few pegs in the trustworthiness category.

saratogacoach

Nov 23, 2012
OK, the Ballistic Tough Jacket Maxx for N6 arrived via FedEx 2-day. Nicely packaged, well-made, easy/quick to install with all parts fitting well on the N6. Screen protector is responsive to touch with no loss that I can notice. Holster with belt clip seems solid, durable (but only time and regular use will tell if it holds up).

Given the case's high level of protection, the N6, wrapped in this case, is on the big, heavy side: which I see as a necessary trade-off for the protection provided. Leaves me feeling confident that this $700 phone will survive routine travel.

All in all, I would recommend the case for those wanting this level of protection.

HTH

adil17

Sep 16, 2012
OK, the Ballistic Tough Jacket Maxx for N6 arrived via FedEx 2-day. Nicely packaged, well-made, easy/quick to install with all parts fitting well on the N6. Screen protector is responsive to touch with no loss that I can notice. Holster with belt clip seems solid, durable (but only time and regular use will tell if it holds up).

Given the case's high level of protection, the N6, wrapped in this case, is on the big, heavy side: which I see as a necessary trade-off for the protection provided. Leaves me feeling confident that this $700 phone will survive routine travel.

All in all, I would recommend the case for those wanting this level of protection.

HTH

If it's not too much trouble, can you post some pictures please?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

saratogacoach

Nov 23, 2012
As I use the N6 in the case, noticed one time that the screen protector needed some additional pressure to register touch. Then, next time, no problem. Will keep "playing" with this.

Not a great photographer, but took some photos (attached).

Attachments

• DSC_0130r.jpg
    DSC_0130r.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,205
  • DSC_0132r.jpg
    DSC_0132r.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 1,189
  • DSC_0133r.jpg
    DSC_0133r.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,177
  • DSC_0134r.jpg
    DSC_0134r.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1,143
  • DSC_0135r.jpg
    DSC_0135r.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,127
  • DSC_0136r.jpg
    DSC_0136r.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1,135
  • DSC_0137r.jpg
    DSC_0137r.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,125
  • DSC_0138r.jpg
    DSC_0138r.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,139
Last edited:

PaisanNYC

Jul 21, 2007
New York City
As I use the N6 in the case, noticed one time that the screen protector needed some additional pressure to register touch. Then, next time, no problem. Will keep "playing" with this.

I had the MAXX on my Nexus 5, and it made that phone feel huge. I wonder what it does for the Nexus 6. I would love to get a Ballistic (non-Maxx) one, but i want a holster and don't think that option comes with the holster, just the Maxx.

saratogacoach

Nov 23, 2012
The intended purpose, for me, was to be able to wear the phone on my belt, take it anywhere, not just leave it at home out of concern about dropping it when taken out (leaving at home defeats the purpose, for me).

So, this case, with the holster and belt clip works great for my purpose. Have now taken several trips out with the N6 and this case on my belt (clip turned to horizontal seems to improve the odds that it won't pop the belt clip when getting in and out of the car).

Yes, it is a big phone, made bigger/heavier by this protective case/holster/clip. But, in my opinion, not too big/heavy, very useable.

As far as I know, the non-Maxx does not come with holster and belt clip, just the Maxx has this.

I think, all in all, this is a very good case.

Last edited:

lumpy211

Jun 11, 2009
Indiana

Thanks for the pictures! It looks really nice and I don't think I'd mind the added bulk if it protects the phone.

If you (or anybody else for that matter) could check, does wireless charging work with the case on (and with what charger)? The Nexus 5 one on Amazon has mixed answers to that question.

saratogacoach

Nov 23, 2012
I have tried using a Bluetooth headphone while the N6 is fully encased, and it works fine.

And, just to reiterate, so far, with regular travel (on my belt) use over the past week, no problem with the clip separating from the holster: seems quite sturdy.

What I am still watching: since this is a heavy phone and case, the clip rotation has loosened up a little since I've begun using it on my belt. While I would suspect that overtime, it would turn less stiffly than when brand new, it's difficult at this point to know how much it will loosen overtime, if it will eventually turn too easily.

I like the case, and think it's one of the best ones for high-level protection. (Had used an OtterBox Defender on my Moto G, which worked great. But, no OtterBox case so far, for the N6. This Ballistic Tough Jacket Maxx seems equivalent to the OtterBox Defender.)

Last edited:

saratogacoach

Nov 23, 2012
Do you have to use the included screen protector for the Tough Jacket Maxx for the case to be fully functional or is it just an option?

I believe that you can leave it off. It's a separate item that you place over the N6 screen before adding the outer shell: https://www.goballisticcase.com/shop/motorola/nexus-6/tough-jacket-maxx/#.VLHQOXtSVSE (select thumbnail of 4 components)

Outer shell is rubberized, pulled over the N6, and while I'm not certain, seems unlikely with the screen protector left out, to leave too much "play." (I am using the screen protector without any noticeable loss of touch functionality.)

Last edited:

lumpy211

Jun 11, 2009
Indiana
Well, I bit the bullet and figured I'd give it a shot to try out wireless charging. I have this wireless charger from Digi Yes: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J00A448/ Sadly, the case is too thick to work with this charger. Maybe it'll work with others, but this one's range is too short.

Do you have to use the included screen protector for the Tough Jacket Maxx for the case to be fully functional or is it just an option?

I got mine yesterday and didn't put on the screen protector. It's a separate plastic piece, and it seems to fit fine without it. I've been considering getting a tempered glass one, but am waiting for there to be a real concensus on which one fits best.

Man, overall I love this case. I feel that it's truly a great replacement for Otterbox since they mainly seem interested in Apple and Samsung these days. But the lack of Qi compatibility (at least with my charger) really stinks. I haven't decided yet whether I'll return it.

fitz420

May 18, 2011
Pittsburgh
www.radiotokyorocks.com

msd24200

Jun 14, 2008
KY
I'm not liking the screen protector that came with the ballistic so took it off other than that I'm really liking the case!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lumpy211

Jun 11, 2009
Indiana
I'm not liking the screen protector that came with the ballistic so took it off other than that I'm really liking the case!

I feel the same way. I hadn't tried the protector as of my last post because I wasn't sure if I wanted to return it and didn't want to take off the plastic film just in case. After I decided to keep it, I gave it a shot and was disappointed with the reduction in touch sensitivity and removed it. (Plus, I kept getting dust and dog hair between the screen protector and the screen!)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Update

*Updated* - I contacted them just after my order was placed and this was the reply I received the following day.

Hello Alex,

Thank you for contacting Ballistic case. We are expecting to release cases for the Nexus 6. Please visit our webstore for updates of the release of the cases. If we can assist you further please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,

Cindy
    This is what I received from ballistic about which case they are making
    Great news! I got this charger from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wireless-Qi-Enabled-Incredible-Single-Position/dp/B00H9B7ALK and it gets enough range to charge through the Ballistic case! Definitely recommended.
    How do you like the neo hybrid? I was thinking of ordering the slim armor until I could get either an otterbox, ballistic, or trident.

I would be careful about the Neo Hybrid I loved mine but it broke after a week. Check the Spigen thread out for details.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone