• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Banks app detects root after update v18.0 (with Magisk Hide and hidden Manager)

Search This thread

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
One thing I don't understand... how could the banking app detects Magisk when it's already hidden itself using another package name?
It's impossible to completely hide an app without using Xposed stuff on any Android version before 11. Android 11 has package filtering that greatly increases privacy and makes it easier to hide an app But even then apps have to specifically target Android 11 to have this filtering active, so until Google enforces apps to target API level 30 (Android 11) there's not much you can do without extra steps.

dohanin

It's impossible to completely hide an app without using Xposed stuff on any Android version before 11. Android 11 has package filtering that greatly increases privacy and makes it easier to hide an app But even then apps have to specifically target Android 11 to have this filtering active, so until Google enforces apps to target API level 30 (Android 11) there's not much you can do without extra steps.
thanks for the advice. then any idea what types of detection these apps are likely using? i means since magisk has changed its package name, it can't be detecting the existence of magisk app. would they be checking background services, trying to get superuser access, or files/folders?

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
thanks for the advice. then any idea what types of detection these apps are likely using? i means since magisk has changed its package name, it can't be detecting the existence of magisk app. would they be checking background services, trying to get superuser access, or files/folders?
I don't know the exact details (never bothered to look deeper since there's no straightforward way around it anyway), but it's simply a matter of shoddy app privacy in Android before A11...

seemebreakthis

Jun 6, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 11
FWIW, "UBS Access" seems to remain a problem.

Tried deleting Magisk Manager in addition to all the usual hiding / island procedures, didn't help. Root still detected within seconds once you open the app. No need to even wait for the login page for the error screen to appear. OPen the app, start going through its intro screens, and you will see 'root detected' then it quits...

subodhverma21

Feb 17, 2014
New Delhi
OnePlus 5T
Yes, it works! After spending a lot of time trying out different Magisk modules and finally it can be done simply by disabling Magisk app before running the banking app. (don't have to uninstall it actually, just disable it).

One thing I don't understand... how could the banking app detects Magisk when it's already hidden itself using another package name?
Hi, how did you disable the app?
I am having trouble with same app.

seemebreakthis

Jun 6, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 11
anyone can help pls?
I have finally made a bit of progress on "UBS Access". Sharing my info right away, but I have not fully tested it out yet (because I am still in the process of setting up my new phone.... actually this is what is giving me this golden opportunity to experiment with things - I don't mind screwing things up badly for the moment, as I can simply flash ROM, install magisk, wipe everything clean.... once everything works then I will start populating my new phone with apps and data)

First, make sure you enable MagiskHide, hide the "Access" app included under which are three processes/modules, just enable all three (com.ubs.swidK2Y.android, com.ubs.swidK2Y.android.remote, com.ubs.swidK2Y.android:yj.bAD)

Then you hide the Magisk App too using the appropriate function. Rename the app to anything you want.

(most likely you would have done the above 2 steps already as many other apps need the same procedure)

Now go find an app called "App Manager" - can install from F-Droid, or here is the link - https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/AppManager

Install it, run it, grant root access, select the "access" app from its main menu, go to the "services" menu, disable "AF", "B AD", "EK D", and "LL", tap on the upper-right vertical "..." menu then "Apply Rules".

I can then run UBS Access successfully. What I haven't tried yet is whether UBS Banking can successfully link with it to complete authentication. (I have a feeling it will, but too excited to test, so I am posting first)

Last edited:

seemebreakthis

Jun 6, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 11
I have finally making a bit of progress on "UBS Access". Sharing my info right away, but I have not fully tested it out yet (because I am still in the process of setting up my new phone.... actually this is what is giving me this golden opportunity to experiment with things - I don't mind screwing things up badly for the moment, as I can simply flash ROM, install magisk, wipe everything clean.... once everything works then I will start populating my new phone with apps and data)

First, make sure you enable MagiskHide, hide the "Access" app included under which are three processes/modules, just enable all three (com.ubs.swidK2Y.android, com.ubs.swidK2Y.android.remote, com.ubs.swidK2Y.android:yj.bAD)

Then you hide the Magisk App too using the appropriate function. Rename the app to anything you want.

(most likely you would have done the above 2 steps already as many other apps need the same procedure)

Now go find an app called "App Manager" - can install from F-Droid, or here is the link - https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/AppManager

Install it, run it, grant root access, select the "access" app from its main menu, go to the "services" menu, disable "AF", "B AD", "EK D", and "LL", tap on the upper-right vertical "..." menu then "Apply Rules".

I can then run UBS Access successfully. What I haven't tried yet is whether UBS Banking can successfully link with it to complete authentication. (I have a feeling it will, but too excited to test, so I am posting first)
Forget it. Even though it no longer shows the "phone rooted" error, it still fails to continue after you type your contract number

seemebreakthis

Jun 6, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 11
I have a bunch of HSBC apps. On my new device they would all detect root, even when I have hidden the Magisk app. And only when I delete the Magisk app altogether will it bypass root detection. This new phone is running Android 11.

Strange thing is that on my old phone that I am about to retire, with the exact same version of Magisk and Magisk app (also hidden like in the new phone so it has a random package name), these apps all run fine. I don't know why this is the case. My old phone is running Android 10.

Help please !!

tenkokuugen

Feb 8, 2016
I have a bunch of HSBC apps. On my new device they would all detect root, even when I have hidden the Magisk app. And only when I delete the Magisk app altogether will it bypass root detection. This new phone is running Android 11.

Strange thing is that on my old phone that I am about to retire, with the exact same version of Magisk and Magisk app (also hidden like in the new phone so it has a random package name), these apps all run fine. I don't know why this is the case. My old phone is running Android 10.

Help please !!
face same problem here,i tried different way such as: lsposed, thanox, hide app list, but hsbc app still detect root

tenkokuugen

Feb 8, 2016

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210910-120536791.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-120536791.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20210910-120547207.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-120547207.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210910-120600290.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-120600290.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20210910-120826053.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-120826053.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 36

seemebreakthis

Jun 6, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 11
I have always been skeptical of these edxposed, lsposed, thanox etc etc. Especially now that you are saying they don't seem to work, I am not even going to try them for now.

But in LIHKG someone claimed to have made HSBC work with lsposed and thanox. Although they shared no details.

tenkokuugen

Feb 8, 2016
I have always been skeptical of these edxposed, lsposed, thanox etc etc. Especially now that you are saying they don't seem to work, I am not even going to try them for now.

But in LIHKG someone claimed to have made HSBC work with lsposed and thanox. Although they shared no details.
I work with thanox+lsposed in syberia 4.7 (a11)
But this way doesn't in RR 8.7.2(a10)
So i tried different way by use hide app list,it is a lsposed module

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210910-141959592 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-141959592 (1).jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20210910-142209340.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-142209340.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20210910-142348198.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-142348198.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 28

dohanin

Help please !!
You may not need to delete the Magisk app, but just disabling it before running the HSBC apps. It works for me.

seemebreakthis

Jun 6, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 11
You may not need to delete the Magisk app, but just disabling it before running the HSBC apps. It works for me.

Thanks, this works after "pm disable" then rebooting the phone.

Not a big deal actually, but one small issue: when I reenable the app, the shortcut Magisk icon (that got created when I hid the Magisk app) doesn't re-emerge. So now I only have that ugly icon to launch Magisk.

Still, this is way better than having to reinstall Magisk manager everytime. So thanks.

Pachacouti

Jul 8, 2020
The Capital above the Lower one...

Help please !!
The secret to banks being one step ahead of us is knowing this idea of an overlay file-system being relativly new, is in fact a farce and has been in use for decades kinda like remote desktop with a difference, now they pretend they dont but hey, 99% of isp's now use dns hijacking, and with deep packet inspection inspecting absolutley everything, rest assured, the banks will always be ahead... after all, your paying for it like us all :)

The hackers's secret to a walled garden, is knowing your IN the garden.

Newer fones give them more control, we get less..

seemebreakthis

Jun 6, 2018
Xiaomi Mi 11
Thanks, this works after "pm disable" then rebooting the phone.

Not a big deal actually, but one small issue: when I reenable the app, the shortcut Magisk icon (that got created when I hid the Magisk app) doesn't re-emerge. So now I only have that ugly icon to launch Magisk.

Still, this is way better than having to reinstall Magisk manager everytime. So thanks.

Answering my own question here... It is right there in Magisk app's settings, where there is a menu item to add the shortcut icon to the home screen.

tenkokuugen

Feb 8, 2016
it will reset setting after i hide hsbc from the "hide app list", it causes the issue that i can't transfer to other account ,i need to call CS hotline to fix that, every time, so i need to install hsbc to other device i don't root

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    face same problem here,i tried different way such as: lsposed, thanox, hide app list, but hsbc app still detect root
    Might help someone, my banking app started working after deleting Magisk manager.
    So basically do your normal hide, systemless etc in Magisk then delete the manager program. This will leave the modifications and modules in place but for me my banking app it then couldn't find root... Hope it helps someone! (Lenovo Z6 Pro running revenge ROS4 / A11)
    Hi, thanks for reading.

I've used Magisk 17.3 with all my bank apps perfectly, with Magisk hide and Magisk manager hidden.
    After update to 18.0 and update manager to 6.1, the bank apps start detecting root status, and stop working.

So, I've flashed back to 17.3 and old manager 6.0.1, and everything's back to working normally.

My system:
    Poco F1
    LineageOS 16.0 built 27/11/2018

The apps are from Thai's banks:
    SCB EASY: detected root, still working
    TMB Touch: detected root, stop working
    KTB Next: detected root, working partially

If you'd want any log or anything, please also tell me how to get them.
    Hi, thanks for reading.

I've used Magisk 17.3 with all my bank apps perfectly, with Magisk hide and Magisk manager hidden.
    After update to 18.0 and update manager to 6.1, the bank apps start detecting root status, and stop working.

So, I've flashed back to 17.3 and old manager 6.0.1, and everything's back to working normally.

My system:
    Poco F1
    LineageOS 16.0 built 27/11/2018

The apps are from Thai's banks:
    SCB EASY: detected root, still working
    TMB Touch: detected root, stop working
    KTB Next: detected root, working partially

If you'd want any log or anything, please also tell me how to get them.

1.restore magisk manager with original package.
    2.disable hide app.
    3.reboot.
    4.rehide msgisk manager.
    5.rehide app.
    6.reboot.

it work for nexus 6p.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    @Didgeridoohan have you heard anything more on this Play Services dependency?

There's all kinds of discussions on Google Pay here (but the issue about MagiskHide being unreliable on Magisk v18.0 and v18.1 is probably not related):
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/discussion-google-pay-magisk-discussion-t3906703

There's nothing definitive though, not even about downgrading Play Services.

Suggested methods have included downgrading Play Services, removing Google stuff as device administrator, clearing data, restricting permissions for Play Services, updating or downgrading Magisk, etc, etc.

Noone has been able to show anything that is completely reproducible and reliable, yet...
    Might help someone, my banking app started working after deleting Magisk manager.
    So basically do your normal hide, systemless etc in Magisk then delete the manager program. This will leave the modifications and modules in place but for me my banking app it then couldn't find root... Hope it helps someone! (Lenovo Z6 Pro running revenge ROS4 / A11)
    Thanks, it works for HSBC Singapore app.