baseband error [CHINA]

Search This thread

DyLiu

Nov 2, 2015
That's my first post on xda, I'm sorry for my English.
The problem is that i changed the GSM band to USA BAND in *#*#4636#*#*, then it cannot match chinese GSM band. Before I did this change, GSM has worked well and phone or SMS could work. Someone said that the same problem has been reported on Moto X, but esay to solve: erase modemst in fastboot. Or the same problem on Sony Xperia series, it needs flash radio.img.

NOW I HAVE TRIED THEM ALL, but still cannot work.

unlock and reset to factory data
double wipe in recovery
fastboot erase modemst1 ------failed, failure information is "REMOTE: not support to erase this partition"
flash factory image, both MDB08I and MDA89F
flash radio file

so...I think that i need the baseband file to flash, but such a new phone how can i find it?
OR maybe caused by same reason that TWRP cannot work before FORMAT but not wipe to unlock the secure partition?

------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: QUESTION SOLVED
Thanks a lot to developers. bidomo gave a effective method on #10, and #31 may be helpful too.
At last, i tried to erase modemst1 and finally solved this problem, but it's so hard, it must through ADB to open the Linux file system immediately, find the modemst1 folder's location and delete it.

Last edited:

was.once.dead

Feb 15, 2013
Sibenik
I did the same thing with my 5x a few days ago. I am so fed up looking for solutions that apparently do not exist. I have factory reset the phone. Flashed a few roms, flashed 3 different stock firmware versions and investigated a few toolkits to see if there are any interesting options that might help me out. Nothing.

Im in Croatia though. I bought the phone from Amazon.de and its a Dutch model. Everything was working great before I had a brain fart and changed the setting.

Im getting quite despondent about this.

Would love some input for me and the guy above.

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
I did the same thing with my 5x a few days ago. I am so fed up looking for solutions that apparently do not exist. I have factory reset the phone. Flashed a few roms, flashed 3 different stock firmware versions and investigated a few toolkits to see if there are any interesting options that might help me out. Nothing.

Im in Croatia though. I bought the phone from Amazon.de and its a Dutch model. Everything was working great before I had a brain fart and changed the setting.

So what exactly is the problem you are having with your phone?

Mark.

was.once.dead

Feb 15, 2013
Sibenik
Firstly, thank you for the prompt reply to this issue.

As the first poster did, I changed my radio band to USA and have no applicable settings on my phone which will allow me to change back to my European band. So, as a result I am unable to use my phone. It reads, no service. To be exhaustive, I have obviously turned phone on and off, aeroplane mode, changed to a different sim card, factory reset, flashed radio.img files on top of stock rom, flashed all the firmwares available for this device over fastboot, flashed pure nexus rom to see if it might have an automatic or global mode for providers like i recall CM roms having a few years ago. All to no avail. So now I am standing in front of my laptop with my reflashed stock 5x, downloading my apps over a spotty 3g broadband connection, hoping that someone such as yourself will have a file, zip, or answer for me.

Marko

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
Firstly, thank you for the prompt reply to this issue.

As the first poster did, I changed my radio band to USA and have no applicable settings on my phone which will allow me to change back to my European band. So, as a result I am unable to use my phone. It reads, no service. To be exhaustive, I have obviously turned phone on and off, aeroplane mode, changed to a different sim card, factory reset, flashed radio.img files on top of stock rom, flashed all the firmwares available for this device over fastboot, flashed pure nexus rom to see if it might have an automatic or global mode for providers like i recall CM roms having a few years ago. All to no avail. So now I am standing in front of my laptop with my reflashed stock 5x, downloading my apps over a spotty 3g broadband connection, hoping that someone such as yourself will have a file, zip, or answer for me.

Marko
First thing to try is an app called Nexus 5 field test mode. Im not sure if it will let you do anything for the 5X but its worth a shot. You need to be rooted to use this app so you may want to do that first.

Mark.

was.once.dead

Feb 15, 2013
Sibenik
Thanks for the reply. I will get to it later on today when I get some time. However obsessed Im being over this issue, I cant ignore my 2 year old like I did yesterday. I just wished to ask what would be the second, third thing I might do if this app does not work or help. Just so I can crack on with something else asap.

Again, I appreciate the help.

Marko

was.once.dead

Feb 15, 2013
Sibenik
'This app is only for nexus 5'. The play store showed incompatibility but I went and downloaded an .apk anyway. Nothing. What next?

Thank you again for any interest in helping me rescue my phone. Like I said before, I can't just "take it back to the store" or anything like that.

Marko

was.once.dead

Feb 15, 2013
Sibenik
Having read and read and read some more, it seems that the course of action is 'simply' to flash a new or rather original QCN file using QPST software. However....I need a European Nexus 5x QCN file and...well, knowledge on how to use the tool.

Marko

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
The problem is that i changed the GSM band to USA BAND in *#*#4636#*#*, then it cannot match chinese GSM band. Before I did this change, GSM has worked well and phone or SMS could work. Someone said that the same problem has been reported on Moto X, but esay to solve: erase modemst in fastboot. Or the same problem on Sony Xperia series, it needs flash radio.img.

double wipe in recovery
fastboot erase modemst1 ------failed, failure information is "REMOTE: not support to erase this partition"
flash radio file

so...I think that i need the baseband file to flash, but such a new phone how can i find it?
OR maybe caused by same reason that TWRP cannot work before FORMAT but not wipe to unlock the secure partition?

Before both of you start editing and/or wiping your efs to cause more issues
I made a custom rom for nexus 5x which instead of querying the baseband for available band modes just displays all six band modes. I could not test it on a nexus 5x as I dont have the device, but for my nexus 5 it does work
When I set usa band I lose my signal, but when I select automatic band selection or euro band I get back my signal.
ffsafas_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.png

Here is the nexus 5x rom
I hope it will boot up, and will fix your problem.

Last edited:

was.once.dead

Feb 15, 2013
Sibenik
Wow. First of all, let me start of by saying THANK YOU VERY MUCH for showing an interest. Im going to download now and give it a try for sure. Im sorry that I did not reply to your prior post, I was just not in a sort my phone out mood in the last few days as I was more concerned with my daughters first few days of nursery.

I stated in another thread that I made a couple of days ago that I was going to send my phone back for a replacement which I did not think I would be able to do. But I still would rather see if your rom works to set back my bandmode instead. Rather than waiting weeks and keeping my fingers crossed so that a truly faulty unit does not make its way into my hands, if at all.

Again, even if this doesnt work, I really appreciate the help, not only as per your second post, but simply for your reply in the first instance.

Marko

jipjip777

Nov 29, 2015
Hi all, I have the exact problem on my newly nexus 6p phone, any chance if anyone can made custom rom for it as well?

shuaishuai

Nov 19, 2015
I made a custom rom for nexus 5x which instead of querying the baseband for available band modes just displays all six band modes. I could not test it on a nexus 5x as I dont have the device, but for my nexus 5 it does work
When I set usa band I lose my signal, but when I select automatic band selection or euro band I get back my signal.

Here is the nexus 5x rom

I have the same problem on my NEXUS 6P,i set my phone to usa band and can not set it back.Could you help me?:eek:

shuaishuai

Nov 19, 2015
It is 00:04 in china ,thanks for your instant help,and many people who use nexus 6p will benefit from your work.In all great thanks to you???

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Tried it,but does not work.When use you rom ,IMEI bocome unknown.:confused:Flash to stock and IMEI come back.:laugh:I send you an email with some pictures in it.
They can help you know the problem.:D

I think I failed about extracting the proprietary files for nexus 6p from the system image. Sadly google still havent release the proprietary binaries for nexus 6p.
I will try to build a rom based on purenexus rom but I left home and will not come back until weekend. So you have to wait or build your own android by commenting out

if (size > 0) {
for (int i=1; i<size; i++) {
item = new BandListItem(bands);
mBandListAdapter.add(item);
if (DBG) log("Add " + item.toString());

}
addBandSuccess = true;

}

in $buildtree/packages/apps/Settings/src/com/android/settings/BandMode.java

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks Bidomo. Back to GSM!

have you checked the other rom i linked?

Thanks Bidomo. Using your 6.0.1 ROM, I was able to save my device!
    I flashed your ROM and then Phone Information had Auto in select band using which I switched back to GSM.
    Very kind of you to build a ROM for us (after figuring out that the Settings app options actually restores the band).

I initially struggled though and hence documenting the steps for others:
    Symptom: Selecting "USA Band" on *#*#4636#*#* Testing / Phone Information / Select Band menu (now the phone will be permanently locked to "USA Band" and the Phone *will not* search or select GSM carriers; phone might connect to LTE but only SMS and data will work and not voice calling).
    Step 1: Flash Bitdomo's modified PureNexus ROM
    Step 1.1: Download the right version of Bitdomo's ROM (look for separate versions for 6.0.0 and 6.0.1) and the factory image for your version
    Step 1.2: Wipe data,system,cache,dalvik cache from twrp (from PureNexus instructions; if no TWRP, first install TWRP using other guides)
    Step 1.3: Flash vendor.img from the factory image (unsure if this is necessary but I did get some error "$ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set")
    Step 1.4: Wipe cache and boot system (if it bootloops, reflash stock and try again)
    Step 2: Change Band
    Step 2.1: Once booted to system, check if your SIM is recognized (No Service or LTE). If you get No SIM (which I did), reflash stock and start again
    Step 2.2: Open dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#* to open Settings Testing app
    Step 2.3: Tap on Phone Information and three-dot menu and "Select Band" and "Auto"
    Step 2.4: Select "GSM Only" and in Settings Cellular Networks "2G" and search for your mobile network provider and select manually
    Step 2.5: Enjoy! (don't forget to thank Bitdomo)
    (Optional Step 2.6: You can return back to stock if desired as the Auto band option sticks; PureNexus is also nice and smooth)

double wipe in recovery
    flash radio file

Here is the nexus 5x rom
    Hii

I have been having the same problem with my 5X.

I was on version 6.0.1 and tried flashing your rom - however once flashed it would just get stuck on a screen that said "android" with a white fade.

I tried flashing back to 6.0.0 which is what the original poster had, and then flashing your rom but still the same problem.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

try out with this
    I have the same problem on my NEXUS 6P,i set my phone to usa band and can not set it back.Could you help me?:eek:
    Started building the rom for nexus 6p. It will take 4-5 hours.
    Update: I can confirm that flashing the Chroma ROM also fixes this issue. When fully flashed go back into the menu with *#*#4636#*#* and choose automatic band.

No need for a newer version for me of the ROM from this thread.

So I just bit the bullet and tried the version at post #25 and it seems to have worked!