[Baseband/Radio] XXKK6 img [GSM]

Search This thread

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
You can always grab all the stock google images from http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html

radios are included in the tar files. just pull them out if you need.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Also, if this radio is for the verizon LTE version... is it even intended to work on the GSM version? They have totally different radios??

edit: i know i'm not flashing until i know more about where this came from and what phone it was for first :p

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
You can always grab all the stock google images from http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html

radios are included in the tar files. just pull them out if you need.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

Also, if this radio is for the verizon LTE version... is it even intended to work on the GSM version? They have totally different radios??

edit: i know i'm not flashing until i know more about where this came from and what phone it was for first :p

I'm using it on the GSM version right now.. no I'll effects as far as I can tell :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

nbeebe24

Jun 16, 2009
I am definitely getting stronger signal with this radio. I don't usually pay attention to my wifi so I'll have to watch that, but my data is on hsdpa more frequently with two or three more bars than usual.

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
Radio interface is a kernel module too, but that kernel module communicates with a separate processor that's running this baseband.

I'm not sure if the WiFi chipset is also running baseband firmware and if so, whether it shares the same firmware as the radio. But just saying "it's a kernel module" doesn't tell us anything.

RIL is a kernel module? Never heard of that. I thought it was a library (rild.so), but i could be wrong - so i went and searched about it:
RIL is the abbreviation of Android's Radio Interface Layer (RIL),
it provides an abstraction layer between Android telephony services ( android.telephony ) and radio hardware.
It consists of two primary components RIL Daemon and Vendor RIL.
RIL Daemon
it initializes the Vendor RIL,
and processes all communication from Android telephony services, and dispatches calls to the Vendor RIL as solicited commands.
Solicited Request, all the request that are sent by RIL belong this category. For example : dial, hung up send SMS
Vendor RIL
It initializes the baseband device, processes all communication with radio hardware and dispatches calls to the RIL Daemon (rild) through unsolicited commands.
Unsolicited Request, the event that is coming from outside. For example : incoming calling, MS change BS, signal strength

The only way you get better wifi is by making improvements on the kernel wifi driver. Why should they share same firmware if they're 2 distinct components?

But how do u explain that now i get full bars signal in wifi and the speaker is louder?

do you have better speeds through wifi? having more signal bars doesn't exactly mean that you have better wifi signal. the speaker is louder because you now have a radio that's better suited for your location, thus better reception.

Last edited:

inffy

Jun 26, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
This radio was actually a huuge improvement to the default one. I tested it through the day in different places where I have only got GPRS/Edge (2-2.5G) and with the new radio I get in all the places atleast 3G, mostly H (although just o few bars on H)

boshot

Nov 16, 2010
Anyone flashed this radio and isusing a german provider?
Is it working?

ankitb4u

Sep 10, 2007
For those who prefer a flashable ZIP through CWM, I just made this up. I always prefer doing that as I may flash any baseband whenever I want, no need to have a PC to flash it.

http://www.multiupload.com/A2TYSNFT3M

Hope you enjoy it, I personally didn't really find any improvement yet, but it's too early for me to judge already.

This does not work via the clockworkmod anyone tried this ....any suggestions?

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
Didn't really observe the error. All I did was let it run and then checked baseband on my about screen and it's still kk1

Did it not say error E flashing aborted or something like that? Can you try it again and see what recovery menu says and post results here

Flippy125

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Radio flashed fine, not sure of effects yet since im home and right next to my router. I AM getting full bars of HSPA+ where I would only get 2-3 so that's good. I was very weary of flashing this when I first saw the thread since OP has 22 posts, but since people were having no problems, I flashed anyway. Flashing a radio on this is much nicer than my Sensation which took forever and had you sitting there hoping it didnt freeze

Last edited:

ankitb4u

Sep 10, 2007
Did it not say error E flashing aborted or something like that? Can you try it again and see what recovery menu says and post results here

I guess the megaupload file is xxkkk6 file. Not the one that is posted.

I am confused the title says different file name and the file is different? Hmm

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
I guess the megaupload file is xxkkk6 file. Not the one that is posted.

I am confused the title says different file name and the file is different? Hmm

So you tried flashing zip from OP not the one made for cwm by demonofsteel?

For those who prefer a flashable ZIP through CWM, I just made this up. I always prefer doing that as I may flash any baseband whenever I want, no need to have a PC to flash it.

http://www.multiupload.com/A2TYSNFT3M

Hope you enjoy it, I personally didn't really find any improvement yet, but it's too early for me to judge already.

Chirality

Sep 6, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Could you elaborate on this a little more please? What happened? How to fix? How many times did it work sucessfuly? Why would it mess things up?

I agree with what he said, flashing from recovery relies on a custom script that ships with the .zip file. Flashing from fastboot uses the standard method. If any changes are made to how the baseband firmware expects to be flashed, fastboot would be updated to reflect the changes but old scripts may end up bricking the phone.

The Gingerbread Man

Sep 4, 2010
Gloucester
I agree with what he said, flashing from recovery relies on a custom script that ships with the .zip file. Flashing from fastboot uses the standard method. If any changes are made to how the baseband firmware expects to be flashed, fastboot would be updated to reflect the changes but old scripts may end up bricking the phone.

OK well I grew a pair and tried the cwm version posted and it worked

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    better network, better wifi, and better battery.
    flashboot required.

unzip and rename the img to radio.img put under the same folder as fastboot

do
    fastboot-windows flash radio radio.img
    Sorry can i ask for a little help with this. I have adb set up on my pc but am very very noobish in how it works.

I Downloaded the zip, extracted and renamed it to radio.img

I put it in c/program files/android/android sdk/platform tools in this folder i see a fast boot.

Connected phone to pc through USB and in fastboot mode.

I tried the command fastboot-windows flash radio radio.img and cmd box returns as its not recognised as internal or external command. I know im missing something here like changing the directory or something but could do with a hand if its not too much trouble...

cd c:\path\to\folder
    fastboot flash radio radio.img

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
    *cough* self plug *cough*

I've heard that ADB Gui works very well at flashing Radios :D (look in my sig)