Battery at 14%

Search This thread

drcyber

Dec 29, 2011
Some Users are reporting that the Battery stays at 14% for a long time.

I had this issue too , until i waited till the Phone was down to 1% and switched off, ( this took ~6h with GPS active and Display on!!) since this time i did not notice this behaviour.

simsalonaut

Oct 19, 2013
Heidelberg

I had this issue too , until i waited till the Phone was down to 1% and switched off, ( this took ~6h with GPS active and Display on!!) since this time i did not notice this behaviour.

+1 This issue has been part of my Fairphone experience since the beginning - and fully draining the charge like you described doesn't seem to help: Even after 20 complete discharges, it still gets stuck at 14% for hours, making a correct estimate how much battery I actually have left impossible. These three screenshots are all one week apart (Jan 17th, Jan 22nd & Jan 30th - click to enlarge):

↑ Reboot caused this glitch.

@drcyber, thanks for making a thread for this - I didn't know whether it was enough of an issue to do so myself :)

Repeating my question from the main thread (for the last time, don't worry): I am well aware that Joe & his crew might not be able to do/tell us anything about this, but maybe someone can shed a bit of light on this issue for me: Is this purely a hardware glitch of the battery itself? Do some sensors / parts of the measuring software need to calibrate themselves first? Is everyone experiencing this or just the few that have reported it here?

Last edited:
Reactions: drcyber

laufersteppenwolf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
Try to monitor the kernel's power level sensors, and see if they change. There are 3 possible issues: the hardware isn't measuring correctly, the kernel isn't outputting the correct values, or the system itself is bugged, and doesn't handle the kernel's values correctly.

That's all I can say for now, as I neither have the device myself' nor the sources, as I am being in the hospital right now, but maybe I can give some theoretical help ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

ArtooDetoo89

Jan 28, 2014
Same problem here

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-02-02-23-52-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-02-02-23-52-11.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 143

drcyber

Dec 29, 2011
Try to monitor the kernel's power level sensors, and see if they change. There are 3 possible issues: the hardware isn't measuring correctly, the kernel isn't outputting the correct values, or the system itself is bugged, and doesn't handle the kernel's values correctly.

That's all I can say for now, as I neither have the device myself' nor the sources, as I am being in the hospital right now, but maybe I can give some theoretical help ;)

Sparparts+ tells me that the mVolts are decreasing normally, so i guess the Kernel works correctly and it is just a interpreting issue.

Gute Besserung!

chrmhoffmann

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 11, 2006
Maybe it's related. I looked at the power config XML in the framework res. And that was complete garbage. See the file in the other thread.

Chris

Sent from my FP1 using xda app-developers app

laufersteppenwolf

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 1, 2012
Baden-Württemberg
droideveloper.com
Maybe it's related. I looked at the power config XML in the framework res. And that was complete garbage. See the file in the other thread.

Chris

You're right, this file actually really is important ;)
But the good thing is, it's relatively easy to fix ;) I'm sure Fairphone should be able to bring up a fix quite soon, as they should have all values ready, and just need to insert them correctly ;)

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
The other thing is, when loading the phone, it stucks for some time at 99%.
As far as I experienced it, it only comes, when you unload your phone to less than 14%
If you stop loading at less than 99% (aften unloading below 14%) you do not have the Battery keeping for hours at 14%.

Can anybody confirm this behaviour?

screenshot08jq0.png

Edit:
I did not have the GPS active, regardless what the energy manager tells

Last edited:

drcyber

Dec 29, 2011
As far as I experienced it, it only comes, when you unload your phone to less than 14%
If you stop loading at less than 99% (aften unloading below 14%) you do not have the Battery keeping for hours at 14%.

Can anybody confirm this behaviour?

yes after completly discahrge the 14%-Error seems to be gone, but i dont know for how long, but after the Update to 1.1 i was back again.

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
No, if you wait long enough, it gets to 100%.
But the green LED comes earlier than 100%

drcyber

Dec 29, 2011
Last edited:

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
But this 99%thing just happens, when you unload your phone to less than 14%. So IMHO it's correlated somehow.

I think the maximal capacity isn't right...

simsalonaut

Oct 19, 2013
Heidelberg

Can confirm, battery only gets stuck at 99% if discharged below 14% (click to enlarge):

Can confirm, 99% is enough of a charge to make the battery information get stuck (click to enlarge):

Sehr informativ, vielen Dank!

All in all, I think there isn't much we can do about this without a properly set power-profile.xml in framework-res.apk, like @chrmhoffmann and @laufersteppenwolf said. Since I have not the faintest clue on how to correct the xml, I can only wait for Joe & the Fairphone team to answer this in the next round of questions - after they've adressed this week's questions, of course ;)

Last edited:

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
Nope, mine still gets stuck at 14%, no matter how much I had charged the battery before unplugging. This is after a discharge from less than 99% (click to enlarge):

Did you unload the battery before below 14% ? Than charge to less than 99%, afterwards the 14% thing shouldn't appear.
So 13% -> max 98% -> No 14% Stuck...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

+1 This issue has been part of my Fairphone experience since the beginning - and fully draining the charge like you described doesn't seem to help: Even after 20 complete discharges, it still gets stuck at 14% for hours, making a correct estimate how much battery I actually have left impossible. These three screenshots are all one week apart (Jan 17th, Jan 22nd & Jan 30th - click to enlarge):

↑ Reboot caused this glitch.

@drcyber, thanks for making a thread for this - I didn't know whether it was enough of an issue to do so myself :)

Repeating my question from the main thread (for the last time, don't worry): I am well aware that Joe & his crew might not be able to do/tell us anything about this, but maybe someone can shed a bit of light on this issue for me: Is this purely a hardware glitch of the battery itself? Do some sensors / parts of the measuring software need to calibrate themselves first? Is everyone experiencing this or just the few that have reported it here?
    I actually had this problem with another MTK device.

Solution:

- Remove the mtk debugger PATH from kernel rmdisk.
    - Disable (=Off) the aeed service on default.prop

(I don't own this device)

But if it haves an unlocked boot loader, its rather simple to to it.

Regards ;)