Battery Calibration And Bump Charging.

Search This thread

K.A.

Apr 4, 2012
First and foremost...lets get this out of the way..if u want more battery life..get a newer more powerful battery...thats the best option..

But if you still wanna stick with your current battery and still want improvements..here is a little something i want to tell you..

Obviously you might have searched about how to improve and come across the method known as calibration.. this is the method as described by one of our members..
Steps:

1. Before flashing a new rom, use root explorer (with read/write set) to delete the file "batterystats.bin" stored in /data/system/.

2. Charge your phone with it being turned off.

3. After it is fully charged(100%), take out its battery without plugging off the power supply.

4. Wait for a few moments, and a ? sign will appear.

5. Put your battery back in. You should see that the battery percentage increases quickly to 60%. If it increases to 100% with seconds, please skip to step 6.

6. If it stops increasing at 60%, let the phone continue to charge until 100%(takes quite a while)

7. Once it reaches 100%, let it charge for a further 15-20 minutes.

8. Once that's done, you can boot to OpenRecovery and flash your rom!!!

Alternative way of calibration(thanks a lot zeppelinrox!!!):
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11803458&postcount=10

This method allows you to calibrate the battery and use ur phone at the same time!!!

This method..simply put is useless...
If you dont believe me...then read this post..http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1460553
and subsequently read this post by Google Engineer Dianne Hackborn(funny surname i tell u:p) and you'll finally believe Battery calibration is just a myth..unless ofcourse you dont believe you know more about Android than the people who designed it :rolleyes:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105051985738280261832/posts/FV3LVtdVxPT

As is mentioned.. "It has no impact on your battery life" !!!
So...BATTERY CALIBRATION IS JUST A MYTH!!! Still...if you dont believe me..continue following your stupid practices..

Coming onto bump charging...
When your phone shows u fully charged it is actually charged only till 90-95% and thus u may experience a sudden decrease in battery %age after u unplug the charger...
The method for bump charging as you ardent ritualists may already know is as follows..

" Phone on, charge to full
Shut Phone off, charge to full
Phone back on, charge to full, use like normal. "

The main disadvantage of this is that it increases your battery voltage...Also in some case of sudden overvoltage while charging this can damage your battery...what for? 5% increase... :(
also..all that extra heat is bad for the lithium batteries...

Therefore 95% battery is good enough for daily use

so..if you really want to improve battery life...dump all these methods and just buy a more powerful battery and give it a month to give you proper results..all new batteries require at most a month to work to their full potential...

P.S. : come to think of buying a new battery...this idea may be very helpful to you if you do happen to own a Galaxy NOTE.. :p

Are there any problem if I use the battery from the galaxy note?It is 2500 mah .

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda premium

Cheers and Peace to all.. :)

Last edited:

thechaoz

Dec 14, 2011
If this is all a myth, and I'm none the wiser, why is my battery percentage all over the place? For example, went on a hike listening to music etc. Ran the battery out. Got home, plugged into charger, turned on and it said I had 46% though when I first plugged it (while off) the battery symbol showed obviously barely anything.

If this is all a myth, and I'm none the wiser, why is my battery percentage all over the place? For example, went on a hike listening to music etc. Ran the battery out. Got home, plugged into charger, turned on and it said I had 46% though when I first plugged it (while off) the battery symbol showed obviously barely anything.

Android is very....insensitive when it comes to battery .
Android keeps track of the battery using a permanently running Battery Service , which polls at a certaon interval....

For our phone , deep sleep will affect battery polling and thus your battery will be displayed as being larger than it really is .

Sent from Ursa's claws.

x0nar

Oct 5, 2012
Heyy guys I have a problem regarding the battery life on my fone
On any rom be it cm7 cm9 or cm10 whenever i charge my fone to say for eg. 65-70% and unplug the charger battery starts draining quickly until it reaches a particular point like (45-50%) then the drain becomes somewhat stable
However when i charge the phone fully (ie.100%) the battery depreciates economically (like on stock)
This means I have to charge the battery full in order to prevent for drain
What should i do to prevent this from happening? Or should I buy a new battery
Any Help Appreciated

paddyman93

Nov 6, 2012
In my experience with any lithium battery not just android increase battery life by let it die fully so it wont turn on at all then charge till 100% and no harm done by leaving an extra 20 mins leave charger in while turning on should vastly improve an older battery :)

Sent from my now unbricked acei thanks to xda

Last edited:

pradeepjoshua

Feb 27, 2012
Chennai
In my experience with any lithium battery not just android increase battery life by let it die fully so it wont turn on at all then charge till 100% and no harm done by leaving an extra 20 mins leave charger in while turning on should vastly improve an older battery :)

Sent from my now unbricked acei thanks to xda

I am afraid you're wrong in letting old batteries to drain completely man...when battery is new like say within 150 cycles what you said is true but as it becomes old it's better to charge it when it goes below 15...coz the chemicals will become inactive and won't be efficient in taking up charge

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app

Rishabh13

Mar 20, 2012
Mumbai
The fact that the Galaxy Ace cannot work without the battery already proves the first battery calibration invalid for most .

Also , all we knew was to erase batterystats.bin and charge to full , that's it

This was sent from a Galaxy Ace. Problem?

What about Die Hard Battery Caliberator? Got me rid of bump charging.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First and foremost...lets get this out of the way..if u want more battery life..get a newer more powerful battery...thats the best option..

But if you still wanna stick with your current battery and still want improvements..here is a little something i want to tell you..

Obviously you might have searched about how to improve and come across the method known as calibration.. this is the method as described by one of our members..
    Steps:

1. Before flashing a new rom, use root explorer (with read/write set) to delete the file "batterystats.bin" stored in /data/system/.

2. Charge your phone with it being turned off.

3. After it is fully charged(100%), take out its battery without plugging off the power supply.

4. Wait for a few moments, and a ? sign will appear.

5. Put your battery back in. You should see that the battery percentage increases quickly to 60%. If it increases to 100% with seconds, please skip to step 6.

6. If it stops increasing at 60%, let the phone continue to charge until 100%(takes quite a while)

7. Once it reaches 100%, let it charge for a further 15-20 minutes.

8. Once that's done, you can boot to OpenRecovery and flash your rom!!!

Alternative way of calibration(thanks a lot zeppelinrox!!!):
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11803458&postcount=10

This method allows you to calibrate the battery and use ur phone at the same time!!!

This method..simply put is useless...
    If you dont believe me...then read this post..http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1460553
    and subsequently read this post by Google Engineer Dianne Hackborn(funny surname i tell u:p) and you'll finally believe Battery calibration is just a myth..unless ofcourse you dont believe you know more about Android than the people who designed it :rolleyes:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/105051985738280261832/posts/FV3LVtdVxPT

As is mentioned.. "It has no impact on your battery life" !!!
    So...BATTERY CALIBRATION IS JUST A MYTH!!! Still...if you dont believe me..continue following your stupid practices..

Coming onto bump charging...
    When your phone shows u fully charged it is actually charged only till 90-95% and thus u may experience a sudden decrease in battery %age after u unplug the charger...
    The method for bump charging as you ardent ritualists may already know is as follows..

" Phone on, charge to full
    Shut Phone off, charge to full
    Phone back on, charge to full, use like normal. "

The main disadvantage of this is that it increases your battery voltage...Also in some case of sudden overvoltage while charging this can damage your battery...what for? 5% increase... :(
    also..all that extra heat is bad for the lithium batteries...

Therefore 95% battery is good enough for daily use

so..if you really want to improve battery life...dump all these methods and just buy a more powerful battery and give it a month to give you proper results..all new batteries require at most a month to work to their full potential...

P.S. : come to think of buying a new battery...this idea may be very helpful to you if you do happen to own a Galaxy NOTE.. :p

Are there any problem if I use the battery from the galaxy note?It is 2500 mah .

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda premium

Cheers and Peace to all.. :)
    The fact that the Galaxy Ace cannot work without the battery already proves the first battery calibration invalid for most .

Also , all we knew was to erase batterystats.bin and charge to full , that's it

This was sent from a Galaxy Ace. Problem?