Battery drain - device idle - any solution?

GaMeFaNaTi3

Aug 6, 2010
https://image.ibb.co/fnQ5QH/Screenshot_20180313_092253_Settings.jpg

Hi all

Had my S9 for a few days now and noticed that I keep losing around 10% overnight while the phone is doing nothing.

I have AOD switched on (Like I used to on my S7 which was fine with battery) and have the phone on flight mode.

If you look at the green line on the far right of the graph is where it is draining at night (image attached above as a link since the image itself is huge to fit in here)

Any ideas what's causing this? Any logs or apps I can use to figure out why it's happening?

Thanks!

ben-fisher-bro

Aug 14, 2012
Might be worth fully charging the phone (to reset the battery monitor). Then using it very briefly and leaving it overnight. Then see which apps are at the top of the battery drain list?

Mine definitely doesn't drain that bad. Here's a screenshot of mine overnight. I maybe had 5% max.

mancuk29

Mar 22, 2007
Manchester
It should settle mine seems to have done first few days I could see the battery drain I have had the phone uncharged since 0630 this morning and with loads of use I'm on 53% the other day I was losing artery rapidly hopefully update on Friday will sort out any bugs

Sent from my SM-G965F using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Might be worth fully charging the phone (to reset the battery monitor). Then using it very briefly and leaving it overnight. Then see which apps are at the top of the battery drain list?

Mine definitely doesn't drain that bad. Here's a screenshot of mine overnight. I maybe had 5% max.

How do you find that info I have no battery tab

GaMeFaNaTi3

Aug 6, 2010

Ok I'll try that. I have a feeling it's something to do with flight mode since I don't see a drain like this during the day but only after I've switched it on. Weird...

ben-fisher-bro

Aug 14, 2012
It should settle mine seems to have done first few days I could see the battery drain I have had the phone uncharged since 0630 this morning and with loads of use I'm on 53% the other day I was losing artery rapidly hopefully update on Friday will sort out any bugs

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

How do you find that info I have no battery tab

Swipe down on your home screen and where it says power saving. Long press it instead of press it.

Or in device management click battery.

GaMeFaNaTi3

Aug 6, 2010

GaMeFaNaTi3

Aug 6, 2010

Try the same with Aeroplane mode off?

I dont use aeroplane mode and mine drained 4% in 8 hours last night.
I'll try tonight with "do not disturb" rather than airplane mode. Seems like this is a common issue with the S8 too from googling. I'm guessing it's some sort of software problem. I've disabled location permissions with some apps and did a system update not long ago... tbc!

okdreamy

Mar 15, 2018
I have also the same issue with my S9 using airplane mode and lost around 12% overnight...
I have AOD disabled during the night and have a S9 Exynos version.

Last edited:

dado2210

Mar 15, 2018
I have also the same issue with my S9 using airplane mode and lost around 12% overnight...
I have AOD disabled during the night and have a S9 Exynos version.
Same here, cell standby and AOD seemed to be biggest culprits.
Couldn`t get 3hrs of SOT in a 28h usage period.
A phone restart seems to have helped with the AOD drain, and disabling VoLTE with cell standby drain.
And i just got the update (SEE) so we`ll see how it goes from now on.

GaMeFaNaTi3

Aug 6, 2010
So guys to give you an update I manually installed the new system update yesterday and tried to use do not disturb rather than airplane mode.

It drained only about 5% this time which is a lot better! Also I've done around 4h24m SOT so far with still 38% battery remaining which is pretty amazing!

I'm not getting carried away though it might just be a one off. I'll try airplane mode again tonight.

One other thing I also did was to block a lot of apps from using Location apart from Google play services. It's in the app settings then permissions. This might be the main reason why it's better along with the system update.

Again this might just be a one off but hopefully not!!

okdreamy

Mar 15, 2018
Hello,

I think the airplane mode is actually the culprit. I didn't enable it last night and the s9 only lost about ~4% over the night. I don't know where we could report this issue to samsung.

uzupan

Jan 5, 2011
I unplugged my Galaxy s9 plus at mid night. It is now 8am and I have been using my phone for about 20 minutes, my battery is at 94%. AOD is off, battery saver is on. My e-mail did sync during the night several times, so I guess that is not bad. It is about the same useage as my LG V30.

mohmd.nagy

Feb 28, 2012
After receiving March update and due to some issues, I did reset my S9+, @01:15 hrs activated Airplane mode and unplugged the charger when the battery reached 100%, AOD is active as well
Woke up @07:30 hrs to find that I lost in 6 hours 12%, the battery is 88%
According to the battery usage, AOD used 4% and Phone IDLE used 1%

GaMeFaNaTi3

Aug 6, 2010
Hello,

I think the airplane mode is actually the culprit. I didn't enable it last night and the s9 only lost about ~4% over the night. I don't know where we could report this issue to samsung.
After receiving March update and due to some issues, I did reset my S9+, @01:15 hrs activated Airplane mode and unplugged the charger when the battery reached 100%, AOD is active as well
Woke up @07:30 hrs to find that I lost in 6 hours 12%, the battery is 88%
According to the battery usage, AOD used 4% and Phone IDLE used 1%
There is a problem with airplane mode. I would advise you to switch to do not disturb instead. I read somewhere that it's something to do with the modem software since the issue is also happening with the s8.

5teve0

Apr 6, 2014
I use 2% overnight on airplane mode ( 9hrs - and uses 0.2% per hour as reported by GSAM battery monitor) , I also turn location services off as well.

xaznxplaya

Jan 15, 2010
How do you guys switch on do not disturb mode? I went to sleep around 1-2 am battery at 68% around woke up at 9 am with 46% left, that's some awful drain

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

GaMeFaNaTi3

Aug 6, 2010
How do you guys switch on do not disturb mode? I went to sleep around 1-2 am battery at 68% around woke up at 9 am with 46% left, that's some awful drain

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
It's just one of the quick toggles in your notification panel. I think by default it's on one of the last pages if you swipe right

Reactions: xaznxplaya