• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Battery Drain Diagnosing

Search This thread

badtlc

Jan 28, 2013
KC
I have had a battery drain for several weeks now. It isn't to severe but the biggest issue bothering me the most is at night it is draining about 5-6% even with battery saver turned on. It used to be that in normal mode, the battery would only drop 2-3% over night. I do not charge at night.

I am fully updated and I even reset the phone to factory 2 days ago and the issue still persists. Nothing seems to stand out in the battery stats with regards to apps sucking battery %. So I think this is an issue where it is not going into Doze or Deep Doze but I dont know how to determine that.

Any suggestions how to find the problem?

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
(on android 10)

When you wake up in the morning...
Go into "Settings"
Then "Battery"
Then click the top right three dots
Then select "Battery Usage"
It should show you which apps used the most battery during the night.

badtlc

Jan 28, 2013
KC
(on android 10)

When you wake up in the morning...
Go into "Settings"
Then "Battery"
It should show you which apps used the most battery during the night.

I have done that. No apps appear to be doing anything unusual. There are no battery hogs showing up. Not even excessive google services usage or anything. That is why I think this may be a situation where it isn't going into doze or deep doze like it used to but I dont know how to check or monitor that. that info doesn't show in battery stats.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
I never heard of this doze/deep doze mode - where did you see this?

I ask because I typically get 10% loss overnight with what I thought was very good because the pixel often then calculates I have 2 days of remaining battery life with that stat.

badtlc

Jan 28, 2013
KC
Reactions: JohnC

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
OK, so it says in order to go into deep-doze, the phone:

1) Must not be charging
2) The screen is off
3) The phone is not moving

So, during the night, are all three of these conditions met?

Also, the device will come out of deep-doze if an incoming push notification is received - could one of your apps be receiving push notifications during the night?

Also, "Any process using a foreground service is exempt from Doze Mode effects, which is key for long-running applications"...do you possibly have any apps that have a foreground service?

a1291762

Nov 20, 2012
yasmar.net
I've used apps before. Can't remember but gsam might be one...

It's possible to identify apps that are holding wake locks. That's the first place to check for battery drain.

badtlc

Jan 28, 2013
KC
I've used apps before. Can't remember but gsam might be one...

It's possible to identify apps that are holding wake locks. That's the first place to check for battery drain.
all the apps I can find to track wake locks seem to need ROOT. I'd rather not do that as then I lose OTA updates.

After some extreme disabling of user app, system apps, services, etc. I finally got back to 3% battery drop overnight. I'm not sure which one was the culprit yet but i'll start enabling things as I need them and keep monitoring.

Ktroutman

Jul 11, 2016
I'm having heavy battery drain. I already charged to 100 and less to 30 minutes i lost 10%.
It began since last update on my case.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
Google Pixel 4a
After you see a big drain, DON'T plug in and...

Go into "Settings"
Then "Battery"

It should show you which apps are to blame for the drain.

badtlc

Jan 28, 2013
KC
So one thing I have learned is that it appears every time I reboot, gsam thinks my wifi is on even though I have it off. If i turn it on and then back off. Gsam now says wifi is off.

badtlc

Jan 28, 2013
KC
So i got through the night at 3% battery drain but now I am realizing that my phone will not go into deep sleep during the day. Any suggestions how to fix that?

Top Liked Posts