Battery drain on a brand new K1

Search This thread

anunknwon

Feb 19, 2016
Melbourne
I didn't run mine hard at all, just surfing and youtube.

I once charged it up to 100% before bed, woke up 7 hours later, it was on 17%.
logcat take a lot battery for this upgrade mostly turn off logcat and install another app like battery doctor to forge close background running app. It will save your tablet a day.

Lollipop still better honestly guys wait for the new MM update.

Orbiting234

Sep 16, 2010
Just got the K1 a few days ago. Out of the box I only set up my WiFi, got the 1.0 OTA, got the 1.1 OTA, and then did a factory reset before finally setting it up with my account thinking that this would make for the best experience. All I've really done is update the installed apps. For the first day it was great, battery was about what I expected. But then I saw I was losing 10-12% overnight with the popular "miscellaneous" being at the top of my battery list. Then just last night I was looking at a few non-intensive sites on Chrome for about 10 min and used 10% of my battery in that short time period!

So is this bug still not fixed? What can I do to remedy it? Looked through the thread but don't really see anything conclusive.

psychic99

Jan 31, 2012
Google Pixel
If you like the apple user space better than android, then it might be a wiser idea to take the shield back and get the ipad air 2 (I got mine on sale for $350 a while back from bestbuy). I will agree that things are more consistent on the ipad, but it didn't feel right to me. I had trouble even with simple tasks like moving music to the ipad (I had to use the clunky itunes interface to do that). You cannot use apps that you've downloaded elsewhere at all without jailbreaking (which comes with its own set of headaches). Android just works the way I think a tablet should work, so it's perfect for me, but to each his/her own. :)
Wow guys, this tablet is probably the WORST tablet I have put my hands on since the Paladin Knight and this botched MM. The choppiness and 2.4 ghz wont work and all the dropouts and problems w/ wifi are unbelievable. I don't think I can wait it out and I feel REAL bad for giving my LG Gpad 8.3 to my mom. That was an awesomely smooth tablet (after rooting of course). Also I must say the screen on this is quite poor, color-wise and I am not just saying that, because I also hate samsung blown-out oled screens too.

I find it funny when I picked up my fire hdx (which amazon not surprisingly abandon) how smooth that whole operation it is--but bezofied to be unusable. Let me know if there is a decent mid-sized Android tablet out there guys or should I give up the ghost and get istuff. That and my daughters ancient Nexus 7 tablet as smooth as silk also. I rooted it in 10 minutes and put paid Greenify on it, and the thing just lasts forever.

Any experience on the N9, or is this the same poor experience?

Last edited:

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
I have this tab and the n9, the nexus is for sure a nice tab but I will say having owned both nexus 7 devices those are still my favorite tabs ever (and I have 8 different ones over the years)
I would write this tablet off though, this has a lot of potential and is a great size, to me the screen could be better but for the price its fine
As for the choppiness yeah, stock really needs work but the custom ROMs are getting real nice, have a try at some of those and I doubt you'll feel the need to get rid of it
Oh, and I know this is subjective in a lot of ways but the form factor is perfect for me so I go to this much more often over my n9, even with the price coming down on that one the k1 still wins in my opinion

Reactions: dadeo1111

psychic99

Jan 31, 2012
Google Pixel
I have this tab and the n9, the nexus is for sure a nice tab but I will say having owned both nexus 7 devices those are still my favorite tabs ever (and I have 8 different ones over the years)
I would write this tablet off though, this has a lot of potential and is a great size, to me the screen could be better but for the price its fine
As for the choppiness yeah, stock really needs work but the custom ROMs are getting real nice, have a try at some of those and I doubt you'll feel the need to get rid of it
Oh, and I know this is subjective in a lot of ways but the form factor is perfect for me so I go to this much more often over my n9, even with the price coming down on that one the k1 still wins in my opinion
Thanks! Any reco on custom ROM? I don't need any of the nvidia stuff which I assume is the problem. I saw nightlies on cm 12.1. CM has kept me from throwing my sammy tab pro out the door. I was toying w/ the new Sammy tab in the store yesterday. Lag like crazy. This is 2016?

I saw unofficial MM, but I really don't care all that much as I'm looking for battery time, Nothing worse than 20% loss overnight on a tablet. If I don't touch my ipad that sucker can go for almost 2 weeks without a charge w/ wifi on.

I know it's not hardware, but it looks like nvidia just botched this one up big time. I think I'll just try to get a used N7 and that will hold me over for 1-2 years. I put them side to side, and the N7 has a much better screen (even w/ fooling w/ color mgmt). That things is just sliky smooth. Now I had a N7 Gen1 and that thing (w/ NVR) was a different story...

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Thanks! Any reco on custom ROM? I don't need any of the nvidia stuff which I assume is the problem. I saw nightlies on cm 12.1. CM has kept me from throwing my sammy tab pro out the door. I was toying w/ the new Sammy tab in the store yesterday. Lag like crazy. This is 2016?

I saw unofficial MM, but I really don't care all that much as I'm looking for battery time, Nothing worse than 20% loss overnight on a tablet. If I don't touch my ipad that sucker can go for almost 2 weeks without a charge w/ wifi on.

I know it's not hardware, but it looks like nvidia just botched this one up big time. I think I'll just try to get a used N7 and that will hold me over for 1-2 years. I put them side to side, and the N7 has a much better screen (even w/ fooling w/ color mgmt). That things is just sliky smooth. Now I had a N7 Gen1 and that thing (w/ NVR) was a different story...

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Well there aren't too much to choose from but devs will be sure to come, not as much as a nexus but some more soon I'm sure
I've only flashed bliss so far but I've seen a dirty unicorn build that I may try as theyre a team I respect the ethos of and have flashed their ROMs to my n9 and oneplus and both proved smooth and customizable, I would expect their presence to grow around here too

Retty2

Apr 1, 2017
The problem isn't resolved with Android Nougat.

This is by far the best Android tablet I've ever used for the money but this battery drain problem makes the device unusable in terms of reliability.

I don't see why I should have to poke about in root access directories to try to put together a workaround. This bug has been present from the start and should have been fixed by now.

Has anybody had success getting a response from Nvidia?

Niii4

Jun 14, 2016
Sounds like the Mediaserver bug to me. Some apps cause this battery drain.

For instance, Quickpic did on my shield.

Try Greenify. :)
Kill all apps when not using the tablet for hours/days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's a thread on the NVidia forum about a similar drain, and in many cases the tablet also runs quite hot when it should be doing next to nothing.
    forums.geforce.com/default/topic/904962/shield-tablet/android-6-0-update-battery-drain-by-miscellaneous-app-new-shield-k1-model-/
    It appears to be a bug after the 6.0 update, it triggers the /system/bin/logd process.

You can check if you have the same bug by running adb shell with
    Code:
    top -m 5
    (for 5 highes using processes) when it drains quickly, and look for the /system/bin/logd process.
    It doesn't necessarily mean that it's the same bug, but considering the fact that quite a lot of people experience the same issue.. ;)

On the forum many users reported improvements when turning app optimization off, occasionally turning wifi off and on again and setting 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' to 'Only when plugged in' or 'never'.
    I have had some good results by selecting 'Only when plugged in' and by turning off 'Help NVIDIA improve SHIELD' in 'About tablet', but we'll have to wait on NVidia to fix this.
    Deleted logd in system/bin, problem solved. Just no logcats now..
    I install Deep Sleep app and set it to SLUMBERER MODE, now my battery only goes down 2% overnight. I'm happy with the results. Don't mind having notifications appear after I wake up device.