Question Battery drain Spotify

Search This thread

Grana_10

Jul 1, 2015
Google Pixel 6
For the past few days I have been experiencing battery drain while using Spotify. In my previous smartphone (Xiaomi Mi8) consumption while using Spotify was minimal, but with Pixel 6 I'm experiencing a 10% battery drop in one hour, which is too much.

What should I do? Is this battery drop normal?

Here my battery stats:

Screenshot_20220105-132519.png

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I guess you could force close it when not using it but there seems to be a lot of apps competing for battery these days. I'm not sure if it's just the apps not optimized or the OS not letting them go. But it's annoying for sure.

0xkenny

Dec 15, 2021
BSV Big Blocks
For the past few days I have been experiencing battery drain while using Spotify. In my previous smartphone (Xiaomi Mi8) consumption while using Spotify was minimal, but with Pixel 6 I'm experiencing a 10% battery drop in one hour, which is too much.

What should I do? Is this battery drop normal?

Here my battery stats:

View attachment 5500555
hi you could try this found it on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pixel6/comments/rvjiti
and also link to more info about and helps on other devices

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneui/comments/r9rqyp

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play
What are other folk seeing as a % drop/hr running Spotify? If I'm listening over Bluetooth I consider 10%/hr ok, and that's with music I've already downloaded to the phone. It the music is not already cached, I would expect it to be higher as it has to download it over the air.

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play

gnite6

Nov 11, 2021
What are other folk seeing as a % drop/hr running Spotify? If I'm listening over Bluetooth I consider 10%/hr ok, and that's with music I've already downloaded to the phone. It the music is not already cached, I would expect it to be higher as it has to download it over the air.

I can listen for many hours a day over bluetooth and still finish the day with 50% charge left, so 10%/hr seems highly excessive to me. Downloaded or streamed via wifi doesn't seem to make much difference, though I never paid much attention to that, so maybe I just didn't notice. Still, it's nowhere near what you said.

Last edited:

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play
I can listen to many hours a day over bluetooth and still finish the day with 50% charge left, so 10%/hr seems highly excessive to me. Downloaded or streamed via wifi doesn't seem to make much difference, though I never paid much attention to that, so maybe I just didn't notice. Still, it's nowhere near what you said.
To be fair I'm usually using Spotify in the car or when out and about so battery consumption is overwhelmed by other stuff. How are you measuring the overall 10% consumed by Spotify specifically? From the first graphic it looks like the phone went from ~80% to ~75% over 2hrs (from 11-1), of which 40% was Spotify. That's 2.5%/hr * 40% = 1%/hr due to Spotify - unless I'm reading that wrong??

Also I noticed in your screenshot it's been left in foreground so I presume it's updating the display etc? What happens if you have the screen off having flipped to the launcher's home screen first?

Edit: Oops, this post intended for Grana_10

Last edited:

gnite6

Nov 11, 2021
To be fair I'm usually using Spotify in the car or when out and about so battery consumption is overwhelmed by other stuff. How are you measuring the overall 10% consumed by Spotify specifically? From the first graphic it looks like the phone went from ~80% to ~75% over 2hrs (from 11-1), of which 40% was Spotify. That's 2.5%/hr * 40% = 1%/hr due to Spotify - unless I'm reading that wrong??

Also I noticed in your screenshot it's been left in foreground so I presume it's updating the display etc? What happens if you have the screen off having flipped to the launcher's home screen first?
I believe you're addressing the wrong person, it's not my screenshot and I said it's not anywhere near 10% for me ;-)

Reactions: WibblyW

clairelara

Oct 22, 2021

What should I do? Is this battery drop normal
Yeah, Spotify consumes more battery after the recent update, and with the high-quality settings, and a headphone with more Ohm Ω will consume more battery!

Grana_10

Jul 1, 2015
Google Pixel 6

Edit: Oops, this post intended for Grana_10
The 10% was consumed in 1 hour, the other hour the phone was just idle. So the maths are different. Around 5-6% of that 10% drop is due to Spotify. During Spotify play the phone was with the screen off, so no display update.

clairelara

Oct 22, 2021
Huh? How could "more ohms" impact the battery in a phone with no audio jack?
Headphones with higher impedance 25 ohms and more want more power to deliver high-quality music, so headphones will consume more battery from the phones. In Pixel 6 there is no audio jack so headphones connected to USB-C type will consume more battery because the DAC is powered by your phone’s USB port. The phones with a 3.5 jack don't need this because the audio is already converted to analog inside the phones on DAC.

GuinnessX

Jan 4, 2014
DC
Google Pixel 6
Headphones with higher impedance 25 ohms and more want more power to deliver high-quality music, so headphones will consume more battery from the phones. In Pixel 6 there is no audio jack so headphones connected to USB-C type will consume more battery because the DAC is powered by your phone’s USB port. The phones with a 3.5 jack don't need this because the audio is already converted to analog inside the phones on DAC.
The OP didn't mention anything about a USB-C DAC, which would totally change the situation/question...

Reactions: clairelara

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I believe you're addressing the wrong person, it's not my screenshot and I said it's not anywhere near 10% for me ;-)
    Yeah, Spotify consumes more battery after the recent update, and with the high-quality settings, and a headphone with more Ohm Ω will consume more battery!
    Huh? How could "more ohms" impact the battery in a phone with no audio jack?
    The OP didn't mention anything about a USB-C DAC, which would totally change the situation/question...