Question battery drain

Search This thread

jawamdame

Oct 23, 2011
What numbers are you getting now? I'd like to not lose 1-2% an hour when the phone is asleep and not in use. I'm also annoyed with mobile network standby being in use all the time, despite never having an issue with it on my prior phone and even work phone, both pixels.
My battery is now at the stage of adaptation, but during the installation of all applications, I spent 3 hours on the phone and I lost 35% of the battery where the phone was heavily loaded.

jawamdame

Oct 23, 2011
What numbers are you getting now? I'd like to not lose 1-2% an hour when the phone is asleep and not in use. I'm also annoyed with mobile network standby being in use all the time, despite never having an issue with it on my prior phone and even work phone, both pixels.
My battery is now at the stage of adaptation, but during the installation of all applications, I spent 3 hours on the phone and I lost 35% of the battery where the phone was heavily loaded. Today I disconnected the phone from the charger at 7 am, it is used non-stop, SOT 2h lost 24% of the battery.

Kag

Sep 10, 2006
Not sure if it will be the same for everyone but the update I've gotten today seems to have fixed it, my phone no longer feels warm when I just use it for browsing.

Last edited:

jawamdame

Oct 23, 2011
Unfortunately, after switching on the second sim card, the battery drain continues - 4h SOT. The factory settings did not help.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
On my P5 I was at 0.4 - 0.6 % / hr overnight. On the P6 it's currently 0.8 / hr. pretty steadily. I'm thinking some tweaking by Google will bring it down a bit. But overall it's not bad, imo. But know that the phone is really not asleep unless you turn it off. Take a look at the syncing in the background with Better Battery Stats https://xdaforums.com/t/app-2-2-05-oct-v2-4-betterbatterystats.1179809/ I pretty much look at it when I wake up and notice if there is an unusual amount of activity on a particular app and then either tweak it, disable background use or delete it if it's not totally useful. My fitness tracker probably uses .2% of the overnight drain but I use it all the time so I'm pretty much stuck with that. There's a lot going on while the phone is "asleep" so maybe you can narrow it down some.

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play
On my P5 I was at 0.4 - 0.6 % / hr overnight. On the P6 it's currently 0.8 / hr. pretty steadily. I'm thinking some tweaking by Google will bring it down a bit. But overall it's not bad, imo. But know that the phone is really not asleep unless you turn it off. Take a look at the syncing in the background with Better Battery Stats https://xdaforums.com/t/app-2-2-05-oct-v2-4-betterbatterystats.1179809/ I pretty much look at it when I wake up and notice if there is an unusual amount of activity on a particular app and then either tweak it, disable background use or delete it if it's not totally useful. My fitness tracker probably uses .2% of the overnight drain but I use it all the time so I'm pretty much stuck with that. There's a lot going on while the phone is "asleep" so maybe you can narrow it down some.
Def needs some improvement. I had the same as you on my 3a XL. And that had a smaller battery than the P6. So a higher %/hr means a much greater mAH being consumed by the P6 in 'over night' mode. I have my installed apps and settings set the same way on my P6 as they were on my 3a XL. And there's no 5G in my area either. The P6 should be doing no more over night than my 3a XL was so, with the P6's bigger battery, the % drop per hour should be lower. Maybe the Tensor etc are just less efficient, currently?

jawamdame

Oct 23, 2011
Today is the second day after a factory reset and the battery drain is occurring again, not even turning off the esim helps. I will wait for the update, if nothing changes, I sell the phone and return to Oneplus. 3.5h SOT is unacceptable

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Def needs some improvement. I had the same as you on my 3a XL. And that had a smaller battery than the P6. So a higher %/hr means a much greater mAH being consumed by the P6 in 'over night' mode. I have my installed apps and settings set the same way on my P6 as they were on my 3a XL. And there's no 5G in my area either. The P6 should be doing no more over night than my 3a XL was so, with the P6's bigger battery, the % drop per hour should be lower. Maybe the Tensor etc are just less efficient, currently?
And just like that with the new update 0.4 % overnight. Much better.

jawamdame

Oct 23, 2011
Do you have any screenshots of usage, and what's causing battery drain?
Here is a screenshot, the battery drops very quickly, from 7 am I already have 60%, I do not have 2h SOT
Screenshot_20211118-145217.png

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Here is a screenshot, the battery drops very quickly, from 7 am I already have 60%, I do not have 2h SOTView attachment 5462213
How's your cell signal? Looks like mobile network is active in the background for over an hour which might be an issue. Try installing Gsam battery monitor. You can see which apps or if your cell signal is eating up your battery and then close specific apps so they stop.

utnick

Nov 8, 2009
Texas
On a tmobile Pixel 6 I can go into Developer Options and turn off "Mobile Data Always Active". Perhaps that might help while you're on wifi?

jawamdame

Oct 23, 2011
How's your cell signal? Looks like mobile network is active in the background for over an hour which might be an issue. Try installing Gsam battery monitor. You can see which apps or if your cell signal is eating up your battery and then close specific apps so they stop.

none of the applications that I have on the previous Pixel 5 caused battery drain ... I don't have unnecessary applications, I need and use everything

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
none of the applications that I have on the previous Pixel 5 caused battery drain ... I don't have unnecessary applications, I need and use everything
All it really is, is the modem itself. It's a battery hog which is why folks have horrid battery life and unnecessary mobile network standby. Unless a SW update can magically fix that we'd have to wait for a new phone next year.

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play
My bet is the modem firmware has some bug where it's not negotiating optimally with the cell towers - hopefully an update fixes it. Some folk on Reddit are saying the mid-Nov update (only available in the US and Japan until Dec) fixes it, but I think it's maybe a little too early to tell...

silverkin

Nov 2, 2012
@jawamdame Try force closing Yanosik app. I had a pretty bad battery drain due to location services being used many times in an hour because of this app.

Right now I have automated a Tasker force close Yanosik script for this particular reason.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had 3.5 to 4 sot, I was losing 15% of battery overnight without using 5g
    Today is the second day after a factory reset and the battery drain is occurring again, not even turning off the esim helps. I will wait for the update, if nothing changes, I sell the phone and return to Oneplus. 3.5h SOT is unacceptable
    Do you have any screenshots of usage, and what's causing battery drain?