• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

BATTERY EMITTING "SMOKE" (Trickle-Charge Kernel most likely responsible?!) **PICTURE*

Search This thread

Assange

Jan 8, 2011
BATTERY EMITTING "SMOKE" (Trickle-Charge Kernel most likely responsible?!) **PICTURE*

I have been using the Savage kernal with Trickle-Charge since basically the first day it came out. I have been sick all day and have kept my phone on the charger (because I was sleeping and not leaving the house). I was working (I do alot of work from home) and suddenly I thought I saw a small amount of smoke above my desk. About a minute later a thin veil of very light smoke was comming out of my Evo. I really FREAKED OUT and without thinking picked it up as fast as I could and put it in my bathroom and closed the door (i've heard about exploding batteries and I wasnt going to take a chance). It was VERY hot to the touch and I had to hold it by it's sides. About two hours later I went into the bathroom and the phone was off, and I try to turn it on nothing happens. However, I think the phone is fine, the battery is probably just ruined. Could it have been because of my trickle-charge kernel? It was a stock OEM battery.....
also, I WAS NOT OVERCLOCKING

I have read the thread Trickle-Charge thread in the Q&A section and it seems like it all may be tied together

EDIT: I threw the battery out in the snow a few hours later, popped in another stock one and the evo works! HOWEVER there are weird stains/marks on the inside of the battery cover (maybe from heat or something?). I quickly ran a NAND of some other non-sbc kernel rom and so far so good :)

PICTURES COMMING TOMORROW (when I am more awake lol)

Also check out this thread, it's kind of the hub to all trickle-charge damage LOL:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=890448

29ehy7l.jpg

Notice the weird dark stain around the middle of the battery cover. The battery is in my garage and I will take pictures of it later, but it looks normal (as far as I can tell).

Last edited:

conflikt

Sep 11, 2007
Lucky it did not burn your house down or explode as you were taking it into the bathroom.

Then again I guess a loss like that is worth a 10% increase in battery.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Reactions: jhoffy22

nukedukem

Jun 23, 2010
You may have done this already, but make sure you remove the battery and properly dispose of it. You don't want it leaking caustic chemicals into your phone.

detusueno

Oct 7, 2007
I think SBC (Savage + MIUI) killed my battery too. Left it charging after work and it wont turn on with that battery. Swap it with a cheapo one and it turns on.

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
Take it outside, it can still catch on fire. Look up a youtube video of one burning and you will see why you don't want it in your house

I have been using the Savage kernal with Trickle-Charge since basically the first day it came out. I have been sick all day and have kept my phone on the charger (because I was sleeping and not leaving the house). I was working (I do alot of work from home) and suddenly I thought I saw a small amount of smoke above my desk. About a minute later a thin veil of very light smoke was comming out of my Evo. I really FREAKED OUT and without thinking picked it up as fast as I could and put it in my bathroom and closed the door (i've heard about exploding batteries and I wasnt going to take a chance). It was VERY hot to the touch and I had to hold it by it's sides. About two hours later I went into the bathroom and the phone was off, and I try to turn it on nothing happens. However, I think the phone is fine, the battery is probably just ruined. Could it have been because of my trickle-charge kernel? It was a stock OEM battery.....

I have read the thread Trickle-Charge thread in the Q&A section and it seems like it all may be tied together

rushco

Dec 27, 2006
Wow I just got my 3500mAh and flashed a sbc kernel...After hearing this I'm about to find a non sbc kernel that my phone likes...smh

What sucks about not using a sbc kernel is that your phone will never fully charge the 3500mAh. You will have to buy an external charger. You may see a little improvement over the stock battery when charging it in your phone.

VisedMonk

Dec 14, 2010
Michigan
Wow I just got my 3500mAh and flashed a sbc kernel...After hearing this I'm about to find a non sbc kernel that my phone likes...smh

Ziggys kernel

+1 on that -- www.ziggy471.com and check out his January 2 betas. I'm flashing the CFS version with a -150 undervolt on Calkulin's EViO 2 and my phone is silky smooth with great battery life. I get the initial drop from 100% but then it all settles down. For me anyways. Ymmv.

conflikt

Sep 11, 2007
Same here, wouldn't htcs method of topping the battery work? Granted you have to plug/unplug a lot.

MadhouseMedic

Jun 23, 2010
Chicago

Did you cry while running to the bathroom and then use the other bathroom to change your tampon too? ****in' pull the battery out of it, man up and save your phone.

Reactions: snowboarda42

conflikt

Sep 11, 2007
Why would you pull a battery that is releasing oxygen/on fire? I would have thrown the phone outside or in the toilet. 500$ is not worth your life or a body part. Youtube li-on explosions.

MadhouseMedic

Jun 23, 2010
Chicago
Why would you pull a battery that is releasing oxygen/on fire? I would have thrown the phone outside or in the toilet. 500$ is not worth your life or a body part. Youtube li-on explosions.

Because the faster you take away the charge and less time you leave it collect heat in a closed phone the faster it will NOT explode. It's alright, i forgot that this place was full of neckbeards who probably call 911 for stubbed toes and when they see steam coming out of a neighbor's dryer vent

mattykinsx

Jul 7, 2010
exact reason i quit f-ing with them sbc kernels. smh. somebody needs to close that thread and ban the dude lol

I don't know about banning him for developer work.
I would say that all in all it's not a good idea.

Did you cry while running to the bathroom and then use the other bathroom to change your tampon too? ****in' pull the battery out of it, man up and save your phone.

Are you kidding me?

Exactly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Done with your obnoxious name calling?

also, I WAS NOT OVERCLOCKING

EDIT: I threw the battery out in the snow a few hours later, popped in another stock one and the evo works! HOWEVER there are weird stains/marks on the inside of the battery cover (maybe from heat or something?). I quickly ran a NAND of some other non-sbc kernel rom and so far so good :)

PICTURES COMMING TOMORROW (when I am more awake lol)

Also check out this thread, it's kind of the hub to all trickle-charge damage LOL:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=890448

29ehy7l.jpg

Notice the weird dark stain around the middle of the battery cover. The battery is in my garage and I will take pictures of it later, but it looks normal (as far as I can tell).
    correction its NETARCHY's kernel patched with his SBC. see this is the problem, everyone think its his kernels. he patched it out of going above and beyond instead of just letting dev's know his github is up to date. I am not going to even entertain this madness anymore. Let me know when more than .001% of the people using SBC has issues. WAAAAAAAAAAAY to many variables to pin it on SBC alone, but to each their own choices
    how is it a witch hunt? :confused:

it could be his kernel doesn't play well with people overclocking. hence the extra heat it creates that fried the battery. doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that overclocking anything will shorten the life of your pc or phone. it creates heat and unlike a pc or laptop there is no fan blowing on it to keep it cool.
    Because the faster you take away the charge and less time you leave it collect heat in a closed phone the faster it will NOT explode. It's alright, i forgot that this place was full of neckbeards who probably call 911 for stubbed toes and when they see steam coming out of a neighbor's dryer vent

Doesn't work like that, it's a chemical reaction causing it. Once it gets started it's exothermic so it creates it's own heat.

And it can get up to a few thousand degrees.

yeah, how dare MS not be there to attend to the propoganda and witch hunt and how dare his real life interfere with support unapprecitive community