Battery from 74% to 0% in 1 second

Search This thread

uccellino

Jul 28, 2007
I also experienced the problem tonight: went from 65% to 0 and turned itself off while I was eating dinner. I turned it back on and it says it has 1% left but is still going a couple of hours later. I'll see how long it lasts...

I did receive a ROM update two days ago, not KitKat - just a small one to 14.91.11.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE.

newuser25

Apr 30, 2012
Battery went down to zero and moto g turned off last night. Recharged to 100% over night and the phone works as normal now. Hope its going to be fixed with kitkat.

uccellino

Jul 28, 2007
I just chatted to Motorola about this and they suggested running the battery completely flat and then charging again. If this doesn't fix it after a couple of cycles, they advise a factory reset.

pranaykhatri

Jun 22, 2013
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
My hp touchpad did this kind of thing once. i left it for charging, when i removed the charger it went directly from 80% to 0% and turned off.
Next when i charged it went from 20% to 100% in one second.

Not to mention a tablet with 6000mAh battery and around 2 years old, its different from moto g.

Hope my moto g doesnt come with this bug.

newuser25

Apr 30, 2012
That worked! :)

I just updated old Windows Media Player and suddenly my device has been recognized by the system.

Many thanks.

Also had this problem on an 8 GB Tesco Moto G.

I was playing around with the USB cables yesterday after having problems with XP SP3 recognizing the device and suudenly the phone was displaying 0%. Left it on charge for 10 minutes and it was back to 100%! Really strange.

Also, don't seem to be getting much life out of the battery today. I let it discharge to 10% then re-charged it with a mains charger. Battery level droped 20% after an hour or so just playing Candy Crush for about 30 minutes.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Hi, not sure if this helps, but I also had problems with XP SP3 recognising the Moto G. I'd already got the 'Motorola Device Manager' installed but no sign of it in 'My Computer'.

It turned out that it was because I was using the default Windows Media Player. As soon as I updated it to Media Player 11 and restarted XP, it now recognises the phone as an XT1032 and I could then transfer to and from the phone with no problems.

Presumably WMP installs some updated USB drivers or whatever?

Hope this helps.

newuser25

Apr 30, 2012
Plucked up the courage and tried to replicate the charge drop. Followed same scenario twice. No issues whatsoever.

Additionally, tested two different USB cables (original and Samsung) and two different machines (PC and Mac).

Everything worked as expected.

So, hopefully that was one off issue.

crash01ita

Sep 18, 2009
Milano
www.ocaholic.ch
Plucked up the courage and tried to replicate the charge drop. Followed same scenario twice. No issues whatsoever.

Additionally, tested two different USB cables (original and Samsung) and two different machines (PC and Mac).

Everything worked as expected.

So, hopefully that was one off issue.

Yea I think too, is a bug. No need replace MotoG or other.
My battery is 100% ok, I have done almost 2 days after that silly bug

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
UK XT1032 running Stock US Global GSM 4.4.2 Rom. Handset was connected to PC via USB lead. Dropped from 100% to 50%, and shortly afterwards to 1%. It would appear KitKat does not solve this issue.

nupi

Dec 11, 2010
UK XT1032 running Stock US Global GSM 4.4.2 Rom. Handset was connected to PC via USB lead. Dropped from 100% to 50%, and shortly afterwards to 1%. It would appear KitKat does not solve this issue.

I think it is a calibration issue. Mine does that since I installed KitKat but happily survives 12hours between 50% and 45%... Battery voltage looks pretty odd, too.

michalurban

Jul 11, 2010
Near Prague
Problem

Is this a problem relating to some devices or a general problem? Ive got my Moto G (UK XT1032) for 13 days now and this problem has never occured - should I be worried this can happen any time? Moto G is not being sold in my country so warranty exchange would be ... difficult ...

kpfx

Feb 2, 2009
San Antonio
Possible computer USB charging bug

I had this issue with 4.3 and I'm pretty sure it only occurs when you're charging on a computer. There's something about the drivers or software corrupting the battery stats causing the phone to believe its dangerously low. Plugging it into a standard wall-charger lets it reset the stats and get to 100% in about 5-10 min.

Never had issues when using a dumb wall-charger, and haven't seen it (yet) with 4.4.

I'm curious to know if the other people here having that issue were also using a computer to charge.

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
I've only ever encountered this when connected to a computer.

ngc2997

Nov 9, 2012
I had this issue with 4.3 and I'm pretty sure it only occurs when you're charging on a computer. [..]

No, definitely not. I came across this issue just a few days ago. With the phone lying on my desk (i.e., it was not charging or doing anything else, just standing by), it suddenly emitted some sort of low notification tone and then re-booted. After unlocking the SIM, I found the battery had 1% left (while I had it fully charged just a few hours before, using a wall charger).

Re-charged again, and after some five minutes or so it was fully charged again.

Best wishes,
Karsten

michalurban

Jul 11, 2010
Near Prague
So, as I see it from info in this thread:
- when a phone is charged using a USB cable from PC a battery calibration problem appears resulting in "badly" charged battery or badly informed charging electronics
- when a phone is charged using a wall charger this problem wont happen ... possibly because of higher current or whatever (lol) in the charger
- after this problem appears using a wall charger is probably going to solve it ...

Questions:
1) Are the information stated above correct?
2) Im using 5V/0,7A wall charger from my Nexus S - is this possibly the reason why Ive never encountered this battery problem for the 13 days Ive got my phone?
3) What about copying data over USB cable - is this going to trigger this problem? Should I put the phone on wall charger after using USB?

ngc2997

Nov 9, 2012
[..]
- when a phone is charged using a wall charger this problem wont happen ... possibly because of higher current or whatever (lol) in the charger
[..]

Questions:
1) Are the information stated above correct? [..]

Well, as far as I'm concerned, no - as mentioned above, this happened to my phone while sleeping on my desk, no USB connection whatsoever, and I am always charging it using a wall charger.

Best wishes,
Karsten

michalurban

Jul 11, 2010
Near Prague
Well, as far as I'm concerned, no - as mentioned above, this happened to my phone while sleeping on my desk, no USB connection whatsoever, and I am always charging it using a wall charger.

Best wishes,
Karsten

I read your message but I disregarded it because this problem of course happens always without wall charger or PC USB connected. I must have missed the information about the phone had been charged by a wall charger ... :eek:

Last edited:

kalbelo

Dec 31, 2013
I just got the same issue.
my mobile was not in use with about 80% of battery so it turned off by itself
I turned on and the battery monitor is showing 1% during the last 3 hours.

well, I never connected it to the Laptop/computer USBs but I used an old charger with 550mAh (my one from Moto G box has 850mA)

I will run the phone up to get out of the juice and then charge it again, if it does not work I will return the phone..

KingUsman

Aug 4, 2013
OnePlus 8
Happens to me now my phones stuck on 1%

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388586224442.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388586224442.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 258

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    from Motorola forum

Update from Motorola:

We know this is frustrating and apologize for the experience. We are working closely with Qualcomm to confirm root cause (which we believe is an intermittent error in a sensor measurement) and we are testing algorithm adjustments to filter out any spurious measurements. The phone is shutting down in these instances as a protection mechanism based on this incorrect measurement.

All of the diagnostic data we've examined shows that the battery of your devices is okay - indeed this is why you can continue to use the phone at "1%" - because the battery still is really charged at whatever level before the abrupt drop.

We are testing this adjustment now (better filtering) for the next system update. We know this is frustrating, both for the folks for which this appears to occur randomly, as well as those for whom it is fairly repeatable (USB). Thank you to the users who have swapped units so that we could examine them - the occurrence of this in the *total* Moto G population is very low, but that doesn't matter if it is happening to you!

We'll share more data here as soon as we have it; unfortunately exact release schedules for updates depend on several things (carrier lab approvals, etc.) and this is not the only item in this release. However it is a priority to get out and we are testing algorithm adjustments now.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/7a7b068df1?page=8
    Had the same problem. Contacted Motorola help through their website and got this canned response from one of their tier 1 techs. This solution solved my battery problem. Stock Moto G with with OTA 4.4.2. No battery apps to make my battery last longer or any of that nonsense.

Code:
    This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
    2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS 
    3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select
    Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited [too] long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again. 
    4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress (logo with Exclamation mark)
    5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key
    Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.
    6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE) 
    7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option
    8. The device will then perform the partition wipe
    9. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence
    Full discharge of a Li-ion Battery to that extent can actually harm the Battery, and I would not recommend it at all, normally!!!

http://www.howtogeek.com/169669/debunking-battery-life-myths-for-mobile-phones-tablets-and-laptops/

But, it does appear we are getting false battery status information from Android, especially as some are using the device for hours after the low power warning has been issued, so, as stated in the piece above, calibration by full discharge/full charge cycle should fix this.....

mine has shown no further problems after full charge again, although I did not do the "full discharge" recommended by robpty......if it happens again, that is what I will do.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Check this out!

http://motoxhub.com/how-to-solve-battery-life-problem-of-moto-x-after-kitkat-android-4-4-update/
    The fix for this issue is included in 4.4.3 / 4.4.4 - Only report if you have it happen after updating.

Official thread:
    hi!
    i have the same problem!

i have install rooted 4.4 and when i flashed cerberus.zip in CWM at the reboot the battery dropped to 48% from 100%....

everytime i have rooted or flashed a boot.img etc on my motoG the battery drops from 100% to 48% - then when i plug it in to charge it is full again within 5 - 10mins

i think there is definitely something scewey going on with the battery stats readings more than the actual units having battery problems