Question BATTERY HEALTH

Search This thread

thirtythr33

Sep 3, 2011
New York
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9 Pro
battery guru is reporting that my battery health dropped to 89% (4010.1 mAh / 4500.0 mAh) and all I have done is charge to 100 one single time! is there a chance that this is reporting incorrect values? anyone that can shed some light on the best practices for charging our phones I'm all ears. for example, I read that charging to 80% is optimal, and that fast charging essentially damages the lion battery, or in short, everything that gives us convenience with charging is working against battery longevity. so should I simply top off my battery whenever it gets near 20% and only charge to 80%? any input is appreciated. I am trying to keep my op9pro for at least 2 years and maintain maximum battery health, and I already lost 11% health?!

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
battery guru is reporting that my battery health dropped to 89% (4010.1 mAh / 4500.0 mAh) and all I have done is charge to 100 one single time! is there a chance that this is reporting incorrect values? anyone that can shed some light on the best practices for charging our phones I'm all ears. for example, I read that charging to 80% is optimal, and that fast charging essentially damages the lion battery, or in short, everything that gives us convenience with charging is working against battery longevity. so should I simply top off my battery whenever it gets near 20% and only charge to 80%? any input is appreciated. I am trying to keep my op9pro for at least 2 years and maintain maximum battery health, and I already lost 11% health?!

Optimum is a much narrower window something like roughly 40-65%*. Li's love frequent midrange power cycling. 25% gives about 2-3 hours of SOT and only takes about 13 minutes to fast charge it back.
Going down to 20% can stress the cells more and the available energy decreases the lower you go as well.
When you charge past 72% and especially 90% the higher cell voltage increases the stress and damage to the cells. High current draw discharges increases wear unnecessary; get your battery hogs apps toned down. A slower discharge is less damaging than a faster one.

A high cell voltage in high temperatures increases the cell degradation a lot just sitting there.
Low temperature (>72°F) charging is to be avoided.
Never attempt to charge a cell at 40°F or less; it can cause a run away thermal event.

*if the battery calibration is off you may think you're at 40% but actually be much lower. As the battery ages this is common.

Reactions: thirtythr33

bulletbling

Jan 14, 2013
Optimum is a much narrower window something like roughly 40-65%*. Li's love frequent midrange power cycling. 25% gives about 2-3 hours of SOT and only takes about 13 minutes to fast charge it back.
Going down to 20% can stress the cells more and the available energy decreases the lower you go as well.
When you charge past 72% and especially 90% the higher cell voltage increases the stress and damage to the cells. High current draw discharges increases wear unnecessary; get your battery hogs apps toned down. A slower discharge is less damaging than a faster one.

A high cell voltage in high temperatures increases the cell degradation a lot just sitting there.
Never attempt to charge a cell at 40°F or less; it can cause a run away thermal event.

*if the battery calibration is off you may think you're at 40% but actually be much lower. As the battery ages this is common.
This ^^^.

Repeatedly cycling between 65%-75% is optimum and optimal voltage is around 3.92V, which is where the battery's degradation from too low or too high of voltage hits it's bottom, per Battery University.

Now, no one ideally is going to cycle between 65%-75% (unless you're powering a satellite) so just keep it reasonable.

The battery health reported is never going to be fully accurate and oftentimes they are off by up to 10%. My OP7 Pro brand new out of the box as reported by accubattery was 93%.

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
This ^^^.

Repeatedly cycling between 65%-75% is optimum and optimal voltage is around 3.92V, which is where the battery's degradation from too low or too high of voltage hits it's bottom, per Battery University.

Now, no one ideally is going to cycle between 65%-75% (unless you're powering a satellite) so just keep it reasonable.

The battery health reported is never going to be fully accurate and oftentimes they are off by up to 10%. My OP7 Pro brand new out of the box as reported by accubattery was 93%.

Today I'm getting the Note 10+'a battery replaced as well as the C port just to cover all bases.
The C port got a lot of use because of the frequent charging.

I have about 18 months on this battery. Unfortunately it got very overheated* with near a full charge on it within days of getting it. That one incident took a chunk of the battery, probably 2-5%. I also did at least 100 full charges as well as some cold charges which are really bad to do.
Then I adopted better partial charging practices and more recently stricter start temperature practices. I got about 1000 or more full charge cycles out of it in spite of my initial bad usage.

One slow cold charge to 100% at about 50°F about two months ago completely toasted it. Fast charging is now sporadic and it's capacity is 50% at best... yes, well.
On the new battery I will use much stricter charging/discharging protocols including midrange cycling as much as is possible. Total cost for the repairs will be about $50 hopefully with no complications🤣

*it wasn't optimized and was using power management at that time. The ambient temperature was at least 100°F and between that and it's high discharge rate it quickly overheated before I caught it. I was pi$$ed.
It's imperative to find the battery hogs asap or they will kill your battery prematurely!

High discharge rates stress Li's needlessly especially in high heat with a full charge🤣
Take breaks when using high current draw apps like games and vids. I could actually notice the accelerated damage caused by this in the final death throes of the old battery.

TPXX

Mar 19, 2008
Just saw this thread, I have a stock unrooted phone, cpu z says battery temp is 84F. I've had it for 8 days and charged it twice to 100%. I easily get two days and with a little care I'm on day three now and phone says I have another day left. I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to the battery I guess.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Just saw this thread, I have a stock unrooted phone, cpu z says battery temp is 84F. I've had it for 8 days and charged it twice to 100%. I easily get two days and with a little care I'm on day three now and phone says I have another day left. I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to the battery I guess.
Depends on how heavily you use it... my 10+ is heavily used. It's held up extremely well except for the battery, which did good under the circumstances. It's hot in the desert.

TPXX

Mar 19, 2008
Depends on how heavily you use it... my 10+ is heavily used. It's held up extremely well except for the battery, which did good under the circumstances. It's hot in the desert.
I'm a light to moderate user, with occasional heavy use if I'm stuck somewhere and bored! I came from a pixel 3 and the battery on this is as good or better for me.

Reactions: blackhawk

bulletbling

Jan 14, 2013
Today I'm getting the Note 10+'a battery replaced as well as the C port just to cover all bases.
The C port got a lot of use because of the frequent charging.

I have about 18 months on this battery. Unfortunately it got very overheated* with near a full charge on it within days of getting it. That one incident took a chunk of the battery, probably 2-5%. I also did at least 100 full charges as well as some cold charges which are really bad to do.
Then I adopted better partial charging practices and more recently stricter start temperature practices. I got about 1000 or more full charge cycles out of it in spite of my initial bad usage.

One slow cold charge to 100% at about 50°F about two months ago completely toasted it. Fast charging is now sporadic and it's capacity is 50% at best... yes, well.
On the new battery I will use much stricter charging/discharging protocols including midrange cycling as much as is possible. Total cost for the repairs will be about $50 hopefully with no complications🤣

*it wasn't optimized and was using power management at that time. The ambient temperature was at least 100°F and between that and it's high discharge rate it quickly overheated before I caught it. I was pi$$ed.
It's imperative to find the battery hogs asap or they will kill your battery prematurely!

High discharge rates stress Li's needlessly especially in high heat with a full charge🤣
Take breaks when using high current draw apps like games and vids. I could actually notice the accelerated damage caused by this in the final death throes of the old battery.
Yeah, it happens to the best of us. Those of us who are informed try our best to maintain our batteries, but sometimes it doesn't work out. I wish the manufacturers would allow more precise control of our batteries, but at least one plus offers you the options of optimized charging to slow down charging or stop it from charging during times you don't need it. The other day I had my phone give me a notification that it wouldn't start charging till a specific time, around when I wake up. I think that's a great feature to have to minimize the amount of time the voltage from the charger is being placed on the battery. Next step is to have them give us the option of what percent we'd like to charge the battery to.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Yeah, it happens to the best of us. Those of us who are informed try our best to maintain our batteries, but sometimes it doesn't work out. I wish the manufacturers would allow more precise control of our batteries, but at least one plus offers you the options of optimized charging to slow down charging or stop it from charging during times you don't need it. The other day I had my phone give me a notification that it wouldn't start charging till a specific time, around when I wake up. I think that's a great feature to have to minimize the amount of time the voltage from the charger is being placed on the battery. Next step is to have them give us the option of what percent we'd like to charge the battery to.
Indeed. The road to hell is paved with good intentions🤣

Replaced the battery and the C port PCB on my N10+. The battery was more than just fading fast, it was bulging. Fortunately no damage was done.
Everything seemed fine until I realized there was no mobile connection, dead meat. Wifi worked.
After much accusing, hand wringing and consulting AT&T tech wizards it was determined that exploratory surgery was required. So my perfectly sealed phone was open for the 2nd time today. I was just thrilled.

Turns out the C port PCB was the International variant not the US one. Don't ask me how that kills mobile service but it does. It charges normally... SAMSUNG YOU runts!!! (I get my c's and r's mixed up when mad).
So put back in the old board... and everything's alright now. Jeeeesze.

Now the Battery wants to suck current up like no one's business and is fast charging normally.
I need to keep an eye on the charge temp now because it's once again capable of absorbing a lot of energy rapidly... and it is. Sweet.

As for the bulge, that was a rude surprise. It was only visible if you look for on the back cover. It's always in a case so I missed that cue.
Below is an interesting article on LI Battery failure modes:

Keep an eye open for battery swelling, replace asap if observed. Once it is bulged performance will also deteriorate most likely... especially if you have a cataclysmic failure event🤣
The chances of an event happening is still small but increases with internal disarrangement ie the bulge. I full charged this battery many times after it was bulging (trying to calibrate) and it held.
I rather be lucky than good... and have a new battery.

bulletbling

Jan 14, 2013
Indeed. The road to hell is paved with good intentions🤣

Replaced the battery and the C port PCB on my N10+. The battery was more than just fading fast, it was bulging. Fortunately no damage was done.
Everything seemed fine until I realized there was no mobile connection, dead meat. Wifi worked.
After much accusing, hand wringing and consulting AT&T tech wizards it was determined that exploratory surgery was required. So my perfectly sealed phone was open for the 2nd time today. I was just thrilled.

Turns out the C port PCB was the International variant not the US one. Don't ask me how that kills mobile service but it does. It charges normally... SAMSUNG YOU runts!!! (I get my c's and r's mixed up when mad).
So put back in the old board... and everything's alright now. Jeeeesze.

Now the Battery wants to suck current up like no one's business and is fast charging normally.
I need to keep an eye on the charge temp now because it's once again capable of absorbing a lot of energy rapidly... and it is. Sweet.

As for the bulge, that was a rude surprise. It was only visible if you look for on the back cover. It's always in a case so I missed that cue.
Below is an interesting article on LI Battery failure modes:

Keep an eye open for battery swelling, replace asap if observed. Once it is bulged performance will also deteriorate most likely... especially if you have a cataclysmic failure event🤣
The chances of an event happening is still small but increases with internal disarrangement ie the bulge. I full charged this battery many times after it was bulging (trying to calibrate) and it held.
I rather be lucky than good... and have a new battery.
You're lucky that battery swelling didn't damage the screen, as oftentimes happens. You usually wont notice it for some time until it's too late, either a white sort of burn in looking mark from the pressure or other discoloration.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You're lucky that battery swelling didn't damage the screen, as oftentimes happens. You usually wont notice it for some time until it's too late, either a white sort of burn in looking mark from the pressure or other discoloration.
Spot on. You put a chill down my spine.
Yeah the bulge was on the display side, naturally.
Just did a run through with Screen Test. I got lucky, it's still perfect.
Unless you're looking for it and know what to look for, when the battery starts to swell it's easy to miss.
Your absolutely right about being on top of a swelling battery to avoid serious damage. There's almost no buffer zone between the display and battery.
This day could have ended a lot worse...

Reactions: bulletbling

Frogacuda

Oct 28, 2010
I just got my 9pro for 3 days and as an curiosity I have diagnosed my device with oneplus care app and it shows that the battery is faulty should I ask for a replacement based on this results?View attachment 5271601
The first day I had the device I was having really intense heat issues to where it wouldn't even let me use the camera most of the time. But after a day it settled down and normalized. I have heard a lot of reports that people have poor battery initially and then it improves greatly over the course of the first few days of usage. So maybe give it a couple days before writing it off as a faulty unit.

bulletbling

Jan 14, 2013
The first day I had the device I was having really intense heat issues to where it wouldn't even let me use the camera most of the time. But after a day it settled down and normalized. I have heard a lot of reports that people have poor battery initially and then it improves greatly over the course of the first few days of usage. So maybe give it a couple days before writing it off as a faulty unit.
Generally true with any android phone nowadays. Sort of learns your habits and initial setup stuff takes time too.

stryver

Jun 28, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So about those battery overheat bugs. I have a theory.

Based on the new 9 series design including 2 batteries acting like a raid0 setup. These apps are likely not setup to properly read dual battery setups...yet. They could even be just doubling all the monitored numbers thus resulting in a seemingly overheated battery.
Example: 41 degrees would then read as 82 degrees.

I'm sure in time, these apps will support our devices. Just my 2 cents.

bulletbling

Jan 14, 2013
So about those battery overheat bugs. I have a theory.

Based on the new 9 series design including 2 batteries acting like a raid0 setup. These apps are likely not setup to properly read dual battery setups...yet. They could even be just doubling all the monitored numbers thus resulting in a seemingly overheated battery.
Example: 41 degrees would then read as 82 degrees.

I'm sure in time, these apps will support our devices. Just my 2 cents.
What's weird is that they all report normal once you enable reverse charging...and even after disabling reverse charging, that switch remains and it no longer displays "overheat".

Levi4cyber

Apr 26, 2018
OnePlus 9 Pro
I got my phone yesterday and noticed excessive battery use from the first second.

It drains about 20%+ per hour on basic use (messaging), only FHD, low screen brightness, and only 4G (no 5G)!

I took that same OnePlus care app test, and battery says faulty.....

Should I return the device?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210420-114606.jpg
    Screenshot_20210420-114606.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Sad

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I got my phone yesterday and noticed excessive battery use from the first second.

It drains about 20%+ per hour on basic use (messaging), only FHD, low screen brightness, and only 4G (no 5G)!

I took that same OnePlus care app test, and battery says faulty.....

Should I return the device?

I would. Don't be too surprised if the replacement does the same thing... hopefully it won't.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Problem with OnePlus is, that I only get a replacement AFTER sending in my phone!

So I'll have to wait another ****ing week!!!!!

I'm thinking of buying another one then returning this one.
It's a pain and lots of lost time.
Better venders will cross ship replacements.
Many new phones are power hogs until optimized. This could be a hardware issue though.

One feature I demand on any phone or PC is the ability for an internal data drive, in the case a SD card slot. Using a OS drive/data drive is the only sane way to set up a PC or phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This ^^^.

Guys I found how to remove the overheating battery indication on the OnePlus forum (I don't know if I have the right to put a link here) but you have to enable reverse charging in the options. After that even by deactivating it I no longer have the message, tested with CPU-Z and Ampere.
    What would be better for the device, fast charge it to 100% when I go to sleep / wake up, or slow charge it over night?
    Best not to go to 100%
    80% is a better cutoff, 100% occasionally.
    Slow charging is less damaging than fast charging. To what degree is uncertain.
    Li' s hate full charges especially in conjunction with high temperatures.
    I do mostly short midrange power cycling using fast charging. Roughly 40-55% to 65-85%

Many people surprisingly still confuse the charging parameters of the old NiCads with Li's.
    They think Li's require full charge/discharge cycling. Wow. That's the least desirable way to cycle Li's for longevity.
    Replace it. It may only be a temperature sensor failure, hopefully in the battery.
    Li's aren't worth taking a chance on as a runaway at the very least it will destroy the phone.

If it's discharging more than 2%@day with the phone power off completely replace it asap and do not attempt to charge it.
    Never charge an Li that is near freezing... as it can trigger a firery runaway event.
    Charging below 80F can cause Li plating which will permanently degrade the cell.

Never use water on a lithium fire as it reacts to water like burning magnesium, violently. Another reason they can be nasty if they explode near your skin. Not WP bad, but bad enough.
    I believe "overheat" is a simple bug. Mine shows the same at all times and battery temp is just fine.
    Agree, that app might be giving false alarm overheating scenario's...
    Not just OnePlus care app ,devcheck ,cpu-z every app is showing the same overheating notification ,but in actuality the device isn't even slightly warm on touch .