Battery Life Discussion Here

Search This thread

soopoolleem

Nov 2, 2018
Tips for Those Who Want to Go Deeper

Samsung Galaxy S6 is now not worth much, probably less than $50 trade-in value in 2019. I would advise you not to buy a new battery for more than five bucks. Anyway here's a few tips when you're buying your new battery.

S6 phone battery is specified as follows:
- 3.85 V Li-ion
- 2550 mAh capacity
- 9.82 Wh operating power
- 4.4 V charge voltage
- EB-BG920ABA (S6 flat)
- EB-BG920ABE (S6 edge model)
- Manufacture date (most important)

TIP #1
Your new battery should have 4.20 V when fully charged. If you read below at 100% charged, you should consider a refund.

TIP #2
If you decide to store your battery, maintain at ~3.85 V (~45% charged). Check the voltage every six months or so.

HOW TO TEST YOUR BATTERY CORRECTLY

qNnpNtn.jpg

1. Find Terminals
- Remove black tape on the top right
- DO NOT use any cutting tools (e.g. knife, scissor) when peeling tape. Use your fingernails or paper/plastic tools instead.
- DO NOT remove battery protection board and ribbon connector.

2. Connect Multimeter Probes to Terminals
- Usually red cable to positive (+) terminal; black cable to negative (-) terminal.

You can also attempt to direct-to-terminal charge your battery without your phone.
*MUST CONNECT (-) to (-) and (+) to (+). DO NOT OVERCHARGE. NEVER LEAVE CONNECTED UNATTENDED.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All right, an S6 edge battery stat, admittedly on lighter use, some short gameplay and photography, much browing and checking the usual suspects (weather, transit, email etc.), GPS high accuracy on, mostly on WiFi while connected to 4G network. Some app installing and themeing, an hour of calling and some chat.

screenshot_2015-03-23pfucn.png
    screenshot_2015-03-23iau3i.png

Definitely an improvement, although if you add more gaming, more time under the sun and some music streaming, I'd say the SoT would be an hour or so worse. Please note that I'm on March 1 SW.
    Excellent new GS6 review with battery measurements. What I like about these tests is that they set the the brightness of all the devices to one pre-determined value to even out the playing field, instead of the arbitrary 'brightness was set to half-way':
    http://laptopmedia.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s6-review-a-bunch-of-innovations-in-a-beautiful-body/

5-talk-time.jpg

6-web-surfing.jpg

7-3d-gaming.jpg
    Ran another cycle of very heavy use to about 25 percent left. Don't want to run below that for now. Watched YouTube, played some games, took pictures, sent texts and browsed the Internet.

I came from a HTC One M8 and my average SoT was around 4 hours on a custom rom with similar usage.

If I ran this phone down to 1 percent I'm pretty sure I could get over six hours screen on.

I'm very impressed with the battery so far.
    uploadfromtaptalk1428317117643.pnguploadfromtaptalk1428317130608.png
    HOW I GET 6+ SOT AVERAGE
    My idea was to make this longer and detailed but it's easter (happy easter!) so i referenced some things from other posts and websites. This however is pretty much what i do to and with my phone to have good battery life. It's nothing groundbreaking, but maybe someone don't know all these things. If you have questions just ask.

Battery preservation
    First thing you have to do to get a decent sot and standby is not ruin your battery (off course). Read this link with care http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries.
    The main takeaway from the article is that keeping your phone fully charged or discharge it to 0 is bad for the battery. I usually charge it to 90% and discharge it to 15%, so i get to use 75% of my total charge everytime.
    I also don't like to keep it in charge overnight, the charging process is very fast so charge it before going to bed and then pull of the charger.

Android setup
    This is how i setup my phone, your mileage may vary based on what you need yours to do. I also suggest to wipe cache from the recovery (turn off phone then power on + home button + volume up, the wipe cache from the menu). This cache thing was needed on lollipop once a month to keep things smooth, seems unnecessary since marshmallow but it doesn't hurt to do it once in a while.
    BLUETOOTH: off, on when needed
    NFC: off, on when needed
    SOUND AND VIBRATIONS:
    Vibration Feedback off
    Keyboard sounds off
    keyboard vibration off
    If you have another keyboard (i use fleksy in fact) go in your aftermarket keyboard settings and turn off it's sound and vibration feedback
    SCREEN:
    intelligent standby off
    PRIVACY:
    location off, on when needed
    setting that sends your info to samsung off
    ACCESSIBILITY:
    Turn off the notification reminder from the main menu, then enter the sight and hearing categories and turn off what you don't need.
    ACCOUNT: select to sync only what you really need. I have two google accounts and i sync calendar, contacts, gmail and drive. If you have other accounts for other apps you don't use delete them.

Bloatware removal
    The phone comes with a lot of apps, that honestly are fairly useful and not the usual crappy bloatware, but chances are you don't need them all anyway. You have to decide what to keep and what not.
    I have disabled all the microsoft office app (word, powerpoint, excel, one drive), dropbox, galaxy apps, the memo, skype, samsung gear because i don't own one. I kept s-health because i find it useful, also peel smart remote, love it.

Facebook deserves it's own paragraph. Facebook is a battery hog, to have a fully functional experience you need 2 apps (facebook and messenger) that overall consume a hell of a lot of battery, data and imho are also annoying. Just use your browser to access facebook.

Special mention to the google services. Disable google music, books, games, google + etc; maybe keep google + if you use it, the other are useless. If you get google play services as a battery hog in the battery info, restrict background data for it. I receive my notification just fine even with background data restricted and i never once saw it in the battery info after turning on this setting.

More info on restrict background data:
    https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/55831/how-does-restrict-background-data-work
    http://www.howtogeek.com/140261/how-to-minimize-your-android-data-usage-and-avoid-overage-charges/

Other
    - if you don't use apps, delete them.
    - if you have the wi fi drain problem, read this http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/help/puzzle-wlanrxwake-wakelock-sgsii-t2133176
    - don't keep brightness at 100%; you don't need it saves for sunny days outdoor. I use 20% indoor during the day, 0% when i read at night (and if you sleep in a dark room, checking for notifications first thing in the morning with 100% brightness will kill your eyes), 50-70% day outdoors, 20% outdoor at night. This alone will improve your battery.
    - turn off google now if you don't use it http://neurogadget.com/2015/10/28/a...w-enable-and-disable-google-now-feature/18591
    - someone experienced better battery disabling smart manager, so you can try. I have it enabled and battery is good.

Hope this helps!
    Hello guys, great news for you, check this out : http://www.geeksandcom.com/2015/03/14/test-samsung-galaxy-s6-sous-android-5-0-lollipop/
    It's in French so I guess you can't understand, but here's my translation for the battery department :

"In reality, I noticed a superior battery life to that of the S5 in most uses. I never had any issues to last a day with medium uses, while an intensive use allowed for the battery to last about 14 hours. The testings with Geekbench 3 confirm this feeling : 8.5 hours were needed to kill the S6 battery in an intensive use of the processor while 5h were enough to kill the Lollipop-running S5. The improvement is thus substantial. "