Question Battery life not as expected

Search This thread

VoidedKN0X

Jan 2, 2019
Rumbeke
So i got my S21 Ultra a couple of weeks ago and the battery life isn't as good as people tell it to be... I wonder if this is normal or i have a faulty unit
Important: i am running the latest update on my exynos device (february security patch as of the making of this thread)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210303-101457_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210303-101457_Device care.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 354

VoidedKN0X

Jan 2, 2019
Rumbeke
What do you expect? You have used the phone almost 12 hours, used Samsung Music for nearly 8 hours and still have 78% battery left lol. This is great.
The SoT is pretty crap i can only get 5 to 6 hours if i'm lucky, all i do is watch youtube and netflix and nothing else pretty much, and since SoT is pretty important to me idk if i should wait for an update or get another unit

Teezj

Oct 20, 2017
If you are comparing to a Chinese phone, I would agree that the battery life is not great. Before buying S21 Ultra(exynos), I was using Mi 10T pro. It has better battery performance than S21 Ultra. The other thing that I dislike about would be the heat issue on S21 Ultra. Its horrible.

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
SOT is only one measure of battery life, the battery still depletes when the screen is off, especially if you're doing something like listening to music for 7 hours......

If you saw the YouTube 'battery drain' tests, the majority are in a room, mobile turned off and on WIFI. They are in constant use with minimal ramping/up down of the processor as they only switch apps every hour. These guys achieve up to 9 hours with constant use in optimal conditions.

If you extrapolate out your current usage you're on for 7 hours with 51 hours total, which is very very strong. People would kill for that endurance

At best you can expect 0.5% an hour drain if you aren't using the phone, but that's if you literally leave it overnight and don't touch it. More likely it'll be between 1-2% depending on usage, so if you calculate you've had roughly 10 hours of screen off, that's about 10% battery that isn't being used on screen on time, which equates to roughly an hour of SOT 'missed out on' if you were just to run the device with the screen on for the sake of it.

If you're truly only concerned about SOT, run a day without music in the background and see the improvement. It's a nonsensical thing to do as that's not how you use your phone, but will get you the numbers you want...

You're also using a high end processor and a large screen with a high refresh rate, it's going to use more juice than a mid range or low end phone. If you send that phone back, someone else is going to be very happy when they get it as their replacement :LOL:

Last edited:

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
SOT is only one measure of battery life, the battery still depletes when the screen is off, especially if you're doing something like listening to music for 7 hours......

If you saw the YouTube 'battery drain' tests, the majority are in a room, mobile turned off and on WIFI. They are in constant use with minimal ramping/up down of the processor as they only switch apps every hour. These guys achieve up to 9 hours with constant use in optimal conditions.

If you extrapolate out your current usage you're on for 7 hours with 51 hours total, which is very very strong. People would kill for that endurance

At best you can expect 0.5% an hour drain if you aren't using the phone, but that's if you literally leave it overnight and don't touch it. More likely it'll be between 1-2% depending on usage, so if you calculate you've had roughly 10 hours of screen off, that's about 10% battery that isn't being used on screen on time, which equates to roughly an hour of SOT 'missed out on' if you were just to run the device with the screen on for the sake of it.

If you're truly only concerned about SOT, run a day without music in the background and see the improvement. It's a nonsensical thing to do as that's not how you use your phone, but will get you the numbers you want...

You're also using a high end processor and a large screen with a high refresh rate, it's going to use more juice than a mid range or low end phone. If you send that phone back, someone else is going to be very happy when they get it as their replacement :LOL:
With my s21 ultta i can easily achieve 10-12hours of sot with browsjng and youtube on wlan with total runtime of 48hours.on mobile data its a good 35% less (also cause of brighter screen outdoors) but Overall its good battery life for me (note im debloated and using Samsung browser with darkmode!!)

• Haha
Reactions: mankvl

mattlcfc

Nov 18, 2010
I'm doing OK on the battery. Turned off goggle discover on side screen has helped aswell as 5g disabled as I don't have it where I live atm

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
With my s21 ultta i can easily achieve 10-12hours of sot with browsjng and youtube on wlan with total runtime of 48hours.on mobile data its a good 35% less (also cause of brighter screen outdoors) but Overall its good battery life for me (note im debloated and using Samsung browser with darkmode!!)
Ive attached a screenshot. Note this was 90% with wlan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210216-182229_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210216-182229_Device care.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 147

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Put brightness on manual. The display eats a lot of the battery. Try to keep it at 50% or less.
Turn off all animations and use dark mode/dark wallpapers. Junk like tic-tok, fb don't help.

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
Put brightness on manual. The display eats a lot of the battery. Try to keep it at 50% or less.
Turn off all animations and use dark mode/dark wallpapers. Junk like tic-tok, fb don't help.
Im using automatic brightness. Yes only using instagram, fb in the browser cause zhose notifications are annoing...

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Im using automatic brightness. Yes only using instagram, fb in the browser cause zhose notifications are annoing...

Fb is malware, I don't care who or what's on it, it's off limits. Instagram... no way.
Tweeter just as bad as fb. Full boycott on all that junk until they f-f-fade away🤣

Been using manual brightness control for over a year on my 10+. Occasionally I toggle it on but rarely. Going full brightness will greatly reduce OLEDs finite lifespan. Blue goes first... and the burnout isn't even. If I can get 5 years with just a battery change or two, I want it.
So far between Samsung's and Android's weak offerings I have zero incentive to upgrade hardware or firmware🧐

Goku1992

Feb 29, 2016
Dortmund
Fb is malware, I don't care who or what's on it, it's off limits. Instagram... no way.
Tweeter just as bad as fb. Full boycott on all that junk until they f-f-fade away🤣

Been using manual brightness control for over a year on my 10+. Occasionally I toggle it on but rarely. Going full brightness will greatly reduce OLEDs finite lifespan. Blue goes first... and the burnout isn't even. If I can get 5 years with just a battery change or two, I want it.
So far between Samsung's and Android's weak offerings I have zero incentive to upgrade hardware or firmware🧐
Yes but if you are using them in tge browser they cant suck your battery up :) and im only using them for roughly 10minutes a day so no problem. But youre right they are like malware... Traking your location every few minutes and that ****

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Yes but if you are using them in tge browser they cant suck your battery up :) and im only using them for roughly 10minutes a day so no problem. But youre right they are like malware... Traking your location every few minutes and that ****

I do 20-30% charges throughout the day.
Crap like Twitter and fb can cost you your job as well as privacy leading you open to attacks of all kinds. Zero rewards and lots of risk. No.
Remember the night of the long knives?
Think how much easier it be to do now...

Reactions: Goku1992

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
Has there been testing on the battery effect of different wireless network modes, including while being connected to Wi-Fi?

I understand that 5G uses more battery, but I'm curious how that is affected when you remain connected to Wi-Fi for all data transfers (using 5G just for calls and texts).

Same question for the other network modes, like LTE/3G/2G vs LTE/2G etc. Or also when you are not connected to Wi-Fi.

I can't help worry that some people are getting bad battery life because they have a poor network signal?

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Only rough but very little difference between 4g and WiFi when still, and that's in a location with 2 bars signal. Seems like the phone sleeps better with mobile data on.

It's hard to make a direct comparison with WiFi Vs network, as a lot of the network drain is when moving and polling for new antenna. When looking at signal strength, 4g/5g have the same dBm and 3g/2g have the same dBm, but 4g needs less dBm for a higher transfer rate than 3g, so may use less power over time.

Also I don't think 5g is inherently more power hungry than 4g (I may be wrong), again it's just less available and shorter radio waves, and until now 5g has relied on external modems.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210308-194101_Sheets.jpg
    Screenshot_20210308-194101_Sheets.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 29

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
Exactly, I wonder if our S21 Ultra is much better with battery life on 5G, because our SoC includes the 5G modem and it's not external?

My desire is to just keep my phone on 5G while I'm at home idle and the phone is connected to home Wi-Fi. I wonder if there is a battery savings to be had if I switch to LTE while I'm at home on Wi-Fi and the phone is just idle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What do you expect? You have used the phone almost 12 hours, used Samsung Music for nearly 8 hours and still have 78% battery left lol. This is great.

Ive attached a screenshot. Note this was 90% with wlan

What have you done other than debloat and Samsung browser?
    What have you done other than debloat and Samsung browser?
    Nothing :) running 60hz and wqhd (on my phone fhd and wqhd doesnt made a different more that 2-4% so....)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone