• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread

nightoooo

Jun 17, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Keep the phone warm when it's cold; Li's lose current capacity rapidly as the temp falls to freezing.

This is exactly what happening to my S20 Ultra (Snapdragon), the temperature outside is about -4 and just to keep the phone outside my pocket is draining the battery much faster, it's too bad because sometimes i need to carry my PowerBank always with me when it's cold.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
This is exactly what happening to my S20 Ultra (Snapdragon), the temperature outside is about -4 and just to keep the phone outside my pocket is draining the battery much faster, it's too bad because sometimes i need to carry my PowerBank always with me when it's cold.

I use my vest pocket. One time use pocket handwarmers work too. Don't overheat though.
Do not charge a cold Li. Bring it up to at least 70°F

I am by no means an obsessive compulsive phone user, but I use it with some consistency throughout the day. I typically remove or disable all the google and samsung crap I don't want or use right from the start. So far with my Ultra, I have about 70-80% battery left after a day of moderate use.... I really pushed it a couple of days and it got down to about 60%. I have it on the Highest Screen Quality setting with Adapt refresh. So far, I am extremely impressed with the battery life....

AeroSatan

My experience

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210211-012723_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210211-012723_Device care.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 200

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I don't know for you guys but my battery life is insanely good. I wake up and unplug the phone at 5h35am. I use my phone a lot and that includes youtube Spotify twitter Instagram Facebook WeChat WhatsApp Samsung internet. I am lazy to make another screenshot but it's now 00:42 and i still have 12%.

For those who has battery life issue maybe consider contacting Samsung and check if your model has an issue or not because... That s21 Ultra rocks at every level

Screenshot_20210212-235328_Smart Manager.jpg

Apr 19, 2009
i was getting 12hr battery life with 4hr SOT i have since gone to a U1 firmware with a Dec Build date and that seems to have done the trick, i use to lose 25% over night off charger no use. since the U1 install i only lose 3% over night off charger. the firmware i installed is DeBloated so non of the verizon junk. i will keep you guys posted how it continues. great info here so thank you to everyone for sharing

Last edited:

Jorinrou

Sep 22, 2021
Try disabling all power management.
In Developer options>standby apps all buckets should show as active otherwise power management is running.
Google Play Services, Backup Transport and Framework are known hogs.
Disable all the bloatware, turn off auto sync for gmail, turn off all feedback.
You'll need to sort it out and optimize it. Took me months to get my 10+ sorted out. Fortunately it's running on Pie so I had more diagnostic options.

Returning is a thought as 5G may have been poorly implemented and another source of power drain. I think everything after the 10+ 4G both hardware and OS are train wrecks... I see very little incentive to "upgrade".
It's funny when people ask us to turn off this and that and disable many background apps just to keep the battery more lasting when we paid top dollars for it. Paying such amount of money and we still need to be worry about the apps running that will eat up too much of our batteries doesn't seems tally or right to me. In this era, the phone should be long lasting enough to empower the whole system in an optimal mode.

Reactions: Mini Jay

Jorinrou

Sep 22, 2021
So I bought the new S21 Ultra on the pre order the day it was announced. I was one of the lucky ones to get early so I could leave a review.

Coming from a Note 10+ that I had for a year and a half, I was really excited for the S21 Ultra, but was really disappointed with the battery life. I've had the phone for 5 days now and since the very beginning I've not been able to use the phone for the whole day on a single charge. It's been giving me screen on times comparable to my Note 10+ (4/5 hours) which is a much older device, but I thought maybe this was the way all S21 ultra's were behaving, just not very good battery life.

BUT, yesterday all the youtubers started to publish they're videos comparing batteries with older S devices and Iphones and their S21s were doing amazing, giving them screen on times of up to 13 hours!

I contacted support but they said this would be normal as my phone was still learning user patterns... but I'm not sure if that would affect it as bad as it is at the moment.

Also, I installed accubattery which is not 100% reliable but compared it to my note 10+ and it seems that battery health is even lower that my Note (95%)! Which I've had for a year and a half!!!

What do you guys think? Should I send the phone back? I'm really concerned that I just spent all this money on a new phone for it to be so bad with battery.
Mine is the exynos as well and my battery life is very sucks too :( it only can last half a day which is very disappointing

Jorinrou

Sep 22, 2021
I have recently bought S21 ultra exynos version. It's been a week now and I feel the battery is draining very fast on me. I only have Instagram and WhatsApp for social media apps and just another 2 to 3 other non social media apps. Sadly, it can't last me half a day. Battery is dropping so fast. I on airplane mode when I sleep and it still has self heating issues because when I wake up in the morning I can feel the phone is quite warm. Battery dropped about 20% overnight even with airplane mode on. I did not have my location on nor sync email and I try to optimise some of the apps and always close some background app running (which I know some of you surely suggest about it). I even went to Device Care to put some apps to deep sleep as recommended by you guys but it's still doesn't aid my battery lasting issue. Previously I was using xiaomi 11 ultra and I decided to change the phone due to battery life as well. It dropped very quickly. I read up many of you praising about S21 ultra battery life hence I decided to switch. But it seems like its the same battery life as Mi 11 Ultra. I'm kind of regretted to switch because im paying much more for S21 ultra and playing games on mi 11 ultra is so much more better with excellent graphics compared to S21 ultra plus the charging speed on xiaomi 11 ultra is awesome. It only take 15 mins to charge to 90% so its not really an issue for me unless I go out without bringing charger. But Samsung takes much slower to charge even if its on super fast charging. I think it still takes an hour to charge to 90%. Its a huge disappointment on this overrated S21 Ultra that you all reviewed about. Can anyone suggest any tip or ways to help with my battery life? If I have to watch closely all the apps and to turn off this and that like what you all mentioned then it's really pretty useless and waste of money to pay such top dollars for all these hassles...

Last edited:

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I have recently bought S21 ultra exynos versiom. It's been a week now and I feel the battery is draining very fast on me. I only have Instagram and WhatsApp for social media apps and just another 2 to 3 other non social media apps. Sadly, it can't last me half a day. Battery is dropping so fast. I on airplane mode when I sleep and it still has self heating issues because when I wake up in the morning I can feel the phone is quite warm. Battery dropped about 20% overnight even with airplane mode on. I did not have my location on nor sync email and I try to optimise some of the apps and always close some background app running (which I know some of you surely suggest about it). I even went to Device Care to put some apps to deep sleep as recommended by you guys but it's still doesn't aid my battery lasting issue. Previously I was using xiaomi 11 ultra and I decided to change the phone due to battery life as well. It dropped very quickly. I read up many of you praising about S21 ultra battery life hence I decided to switch. But it seems like its the same battery life as Mi 11 Ultra. I'm kind of regretted to switch because im paying much more for S21 ultra and playing games on mi 11 ultra is so much more better with excellent graphics compared to S21 ultra. Its a huge disappointment on this overrated S21 Ultra that you all reviewed about. Can anyone suggest any tip or ways to help with my battery life? If I have to watch closely all the apps and to turn off this and that like what you all mentioned then it's really pretty useless and waste of money to pay such top dollars for all these hassles...

That is indeed a strange scenario. I have the s21 ultra snapdragon version and I haven't turned off anything, I'm using it out of the box and I'm running a VPN on top of everything. No issue with battery life.

You haven't noticed any apps that can be responsible of that battery drain? How about your network? Are you in an area where network is bad (hence forcing the phone to increase its signal to find 5G ?).

Jorinrou

Sep 22, 2021
That is indeed a strange scenario. I have the s21 ultra snapdragon version and I haven't turned off anything, I'm using it out of the box and I'm running a VPN on top of everything. No issue with battery life.

You haven't noticed any apps that can be responsible of that battery drain? How about your network? Are you in an area where network is bad (hence forcing the phone to increase its signal to find 5G ?).
I'm not too sure about the network. But I'm mostly connecting to WiFi as I'm at home most of the time. I think my sim card only support 4G? Im not too sure. How do I check or anything I can provide you to help me?

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I have recently bought S21 ultra exynos versiom. It's been a week now and I feel the battery is draining very fast on me. I only have Instagram and WhatsApp for social media apps and just another 2 to 3 other non social media apps. Sadly, it can't last me half a day. Battery is dropping so fast. I on airplane mode when I sleep and it still has self heating issues because when I wake up in the morning I can feel the phone is quite warm. Battery dropped about 20% overnight even with airplane mode on. I did not have my location on nor sync email and I try to optimise some of the apps and always close some background app running (which I know some of you surely suggest about it). I even went to Device Care to put some apps to deep sleep as recommended by you guys but it's still doesn't aid my battery lasting issue. Previously I was using xiaomi 11 ultra and I decided to change the phone due to battery life as well. It dropped very quickly. I read up many of you praising about S21 ultra battery life hence I decided to switch. But it seems like its the same battery life as Mi 11 Ultra. I'm kind of regretted to switch because im paying much more for S21 ultra and playing games on mi 11 ultra is so much more better with excellent graphics compared to S21 ultra. Its a huge disappointment on this overrated S21 Ultra that you all reviewed about. Can anyone suggest any tip or ways to help with my battery life? If I have to watch closely all the apps and to turn off this and that like what you all mentioned then it's really pretty useless and waste of money to pay such top dollars for all these hassles...
About these 3 others apps. Do they use a lots of data (hence forcing the phone to constantly look for data in the scenario your network is weak).

In order to solve the problem, first is -obviously- to find the culprit. Unless you have a defect units, the origin is often to be found on apps or living in a location with bad network (since the phone need to connect to the network if the signal is weak, the phone will increase its signal to find it, hence increase battery consumption).

As to the apps, well to isolate the issue you can try uninstalling your apps (WhatsApp and IG aren't the culprit, I'm using those so..).

If even by uninstalling the other third party apps, your phone is still facing battery drain. Then the problem isn't within your apps.

The Hard way would be to factory reset your device, DO NOT restore anything, just use the factory settings. Wait and see if you are facing battery drain.

If you're still facing battery drain, well it's a network issue.

If your location has a good 5G cover then... You may have a defect unit.

Hope I could help and hope you'll find the solution to the problem

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I'm not too sure about the network. But I'm mostly connecting to WiFi as I'm at home most of the time. I think my sim card only support 4G? Im not too sure. How do I check or anything I can provide you to help me?
For the network I don't use any particular tool i just check on the network level. If I have like one or two bar, I know I'm in a location where the network signal is weak.

Since you're always on WiFi it means that your apps has no issue connecting to the internet to get the data (unless the server of the app is located in a place where connecting to the app is not smooth - in which case the phone will need more energy to get the data from the apps - hence ending up eating up the battery). But that scenario is rare. But if it's the case, the use of a VPN like me solve the problem (and VPN is supposed to consume battery but still battery life is still as good here)

lywyn

Jul 19, 2010
First full day on Exynos with WQHD+, 5G and no power saving:

If you have 5G on you will use more battery power as 5G is data only. The phone will also connect the 4G/3G radios for texts and calls thus using twice the power for keeping you online. If I turn on 5G I use 30% more battery in the day as the phone is trying to connect and manage 2 cell tower connections.

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
If you have 5G on you will use more battery power as 5G is data only. The phone will also connect the 4G/3G radios for texts and calls thus using twice the power for keeping you online. If I turn on 5G I use 30% more battery in the day as the phone is trying to connect and manage 2 cell tower connections.
Somehow I also have the 5G turned on all the time and I am not facing the same issue as hers. However it also make sense if @Jorinrou is in a location with very bad 5G signal

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
It's funny when people ask us to turn off this and that and disable many background apps just to keep the battery more lasting when we paid top dollars for it. Paying such amount of money and we still need to be worry about the apps running that will eat up too much of our batteries doesn't seems tally or right to me. In this era, the phone should be long lasting enough to empower the whole system in an optimal mode.
There's always plain Jane iPhone for the technically challenged🤣

Just because you have lots of bells and whistle features doesn't mean you need to or should use them.
Pick the ones you want and ignore the rest.
Many 3rd party apps like Poweramp and PD MDM to file in any gaps.
Point is you have almost unlimited options on a Samsung Adroid if you have the wherewithal to configure it properly. It is a art.
Not taking the time to learn the above will yield suboptimal results.
Welcome to the fking planet...

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I'm in Singapore, advanced country. I don't have bad signals most of the times.

Have you tried to run the phone by uninstalling the third party apps ? The goal is only to know if the battery drain comes from either of the third party apps you've installed.

The thing is that if the phone is facing battery drain issue out of the box, my guess is that you have a defect unit. It definitely isn't normal to have your battery dying so quick

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys.
    I have been the proud owner of the S21 Ultra for a week now and I am very happy with it. After almost 2 years I decided to give up my beloved P40 Pro. After initial battery problems, I have now managed to get by for almost 2 days without a charge. What I noticed when researching my battery usage is that the Google Play services draw an immense amount of battery or wake up the cell phone an unusually large amount and thus the consumption in standby is also higher.

Can someone help me here or name approaches that I can use to get this under control?
    Disable Goggle backup Transport and Framework.
    Disable Google Firebase, in Google settings.
    Disable Google play Services when not needed.
    Disable playstore if not needed.
    Disable any cloud apps.
    Disable Google, Samsung and carrier feedback, never needed.
    Disable or uninstall all Google and Samsung trashware. Some is useful or only runs when needed... don't go too nuts.
    Turn off location and wifi when not needed.
    Clear system cache and in Device Care>storage, use system cleaner.

Do not toggle on power management in Device Care; simply close apps when with them.
    Keep screen brightness at 40-50% or lower.
    Use dark mode and wallpapers.
    Turn off animations.
    Ditch FB, it's malware... same for twitter, WhatsApp etc. If you can't fully access the site in your browser don't load their trashware on your machine. At the very least use only through the browser...
    Using a browser for Facebook is going to be even worse on battery life. The Facebook app uses a lot less battery than any browser. Especially the Samsung browser.
    You can only send messages using the app so it's useless online except for viewing.
    Regardless to hell with fb; spyware, malware, crapware and purveyors of disinformation.
    I ran it for 1 month, 14 years ago until I started to see/understood it's risks and liabilities.
    Never again... fk that $hit, deplatform fb, gut it, fb is beyond redemption.

This site uses between 6-8%@hr on my Brave browser.
    You mean about the SOT on the s21U? Well I usually charge my battery when I have around 30% battery left (well time to sleep, and I don't want to wait until 0% before charging, so when I say 8h SOT it's an estimation granted). I join some screenshots of my SOT from yesterday and today.

It should give an idea but battery life at least for me is very good. And I YouTube a lot, browse a lot, use Telegram, WhatsApp, rarely Facebook but the app is here and I have a VPN turned on all day.

On average my SOT is 5-6H per day according to the figures and I unplugged my phone from the charger at 5h30am. By midnight I have around 30% battery left.

I use 120Hz.

Anyway I'm happy with that I think it's okay

View attachment 5431143View attachment 5431151
    That's not bad considering you have VPN and WeChat running lol.
    Yes I think so too, and the reason why i estimate 8h SOT it's because... I join a screenshot, it will be self-explanatory

View attachment 5431855
    That's good. Almost as good as what I used to get. Well done.
    I see the phone is on 5G at the moment of the screen shot. How much of that usage was actually on 5G vs wifi? What brightness did you have the phone set at? 120hz enabled or not?
    Excellent question 👌
    On a typical day my phone connects to the wifi when I'm at home (6h30pm-8-30am) and at the office (9h00am-6pm). The rest of the time it's 5G. Though one day I do remember being out of the office so using 5G and i didn't notice any noticeable difference, it was pretty much the same battery life.

I use 120Hz and I use auto-brightness
    It all depends on how you '"benchmark" the battery life...from those screenshot above those application
    áctive time is very low. If you total that up it is hardly 3 hours of real usage. To prove that your battery life is good you really need to use it actively. In the example below 2 hours of gaming playing pokemon which is not a CPU intensive game, 1 hour of youtube which is common for watching a short movie , 38 minutes of facebook pretty much bring the battery life from 100% to 40% .
    Nobody is trying to "prove" they have good battery life, and nobody has to use their phone the way you say, for them to determine if they have good battery life. All they need to do is use their phone the way THEY use their phone, and decide if the battery life is good for their use. The example you gave means absolutely nothing to me, because I'll never play Pokemon Go on my phone, just as my use likely doesn't apply to many people since they probably won't have 8 hours of talk time. I say that to say, how about you let people use their phones the way they want to use them?
    Try disabling 5G if you are not using it, for some ppl SmartThings drain a lot of battery but you should see that app in log. Can't wait to get mine, also E2100 and coming from Note 8. Was rly looking to have a 2 day phone.
    I got my S21U for 2 days now, and so far I'm a bit disappointed.

The phone gets really hot from time to time, without doing anything particular, just browsing or reading a book.

Coming from a Note10+, that's much worse.

I'm gonna try disabling 5g, it's useless anyways in my neighborhood, I have a really bad coverage, my speedtest showed a gain of 2% compared to LTE.

The heat is on the back in the top right corner, so I'm guessing this is network related.

I've seen a few people mention heat in that area, there's a year down video somewhere that might give some idea of what's in they area
    I suggest doing a factory reset before you think about sending the phone back. Also, initially, be careful about what aps you install - try going with a minimal number of aps so you can get an idea of how the battery does when there are no aps that might pull from the battery - after a few days, add all of the aps you have been using (while avoiding any that might be a battery drain) and try for a few more days to see if you are seeing improved battery life. Good luck - hope it all works out for you.
    Do Not charge past 80%; 65% is best.
    High temperature/high cell voltage permanently degrades this Li fast.
    Avoid full charges until you resolve this issue!!!

Disable all power management except screen/power mode setting (medium) and enable fast charging, nothing else. Close apps when done with them especially when phone is going to sleep. In Developer options>standby apps all buckets should show as active otherwise power management is controlling them.
    Power management causes erratic behavior and excessive power drains the longer it runs. Android cam manage its self very well without it.

Google Backup Transport, Framework and Google Play Services are prime suspects.
    Clear all data of the above three as needed, no harm will come from doing this.

Use Karma Firewall (freeware and uses almost no battery) to permanently block the first two and block GPS as needed (needed for gmail and Playstore, for Playstore a reboot is needed)
    Firewall block Gmaps except when needed.

Disable locations except when needed.
    Disable all cloud crap.
    Disable all Google, Samsung and carrier feedback.
    Disable wifi if not used.
    Set Gmail to manual sync.
    Bluetooth uses little battery at least on my 10+
    Use factory load for all Google apks, add updates one at a time and observe for a week if you take a battery hit.
    Use manual brightness control, avoid use in direct sunlight; try to keep it at around 50% or less.
    Use dark mode and dark wallpapers.

Do a network reset. Use as needed.
    Clear System Cache on boot menu.
    Avoid doing a hard reset as the issue will most likely return. Find the root cause(s).
    Do hard resets only for old loads, virus infections and after major firmware updates.
    You can try a hard reboot but this seldom works.

Galaxy Labs Battery Tracker is a useful tool.
    Data Counter Widget (without the widget) is useful too.
    Seeing what's cached can help track down bad actors as can running apps in Developer options.

lol
    thats what people need to do to use a +1000$ phone these days?
    freaking hell!!