• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
That's not bad considering you have VPN and WeChat running lol.
Yes I think so too, and the reason why i estimate 8h SOT it's because... I join a screenshot, it will be self-explanatory

Screenshot_20211013-063837_Smart Manager.jpg

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
You can only send messages using the app so it's useless online except for viewing.
Regardless to hell with fb; spyware, malware, crapware and purveyors of disinformation.
I ran it for 1 month, 14 years ago until I started to see/understood it's risks and liabilities.
Never again... fk that $hit, deplatform fb, gut it, fb is beyond redemption.

This site uses between 6-8%@hr on my Brave browser.

Only 6-8% per hour of battery usage for a browser? Is that wifi or mobile data? If that's true I'll have to try out Brave. Chrome uses about 12% per hour on my Pixel 5 and that's on wifi. Samsung's browser is even worse.

Also, I just have to ask "purveyors of disinformation"? What are you referring to?

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I see the phone is on 5G at the moment of the screen shot. How much of that usage was actually on 5G vs wifi? What brightness did you have the phone set at? 120hz enabled or not?
Excellent question 👌
On a typical day my phone connects to the wifi when I'm at home (6h30pm-8-30am) and at the office (9h00am-6pm). The rest of the time it's 5G. Though one day I do remember being out of the office so using 5G and i didn't notice any noticeable difference, it was pretty much the same battery life.

I use 120Hz and I use auto-brightness

Reactions: jimv1983

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
Excellent question 👌
On a typical day my phone connects to the wifi when I'm at home (6h30pm-8-30am) and at the office (9h00am-6pm). The rest of the time it's 5G. Though one day I do remember being out of the office so using 5G and i didn't notice any noticeable difference, it was pretty much the same battery life.

I use 120Hz and I use auto-brightness
So looks like mostly wifi. I'm surprised that your battery life isn't much different between wifi and mobile data. In my experience my phone uses a lot more battery when on mobile data than when on wifi. My Pixel 5 battery life drops by HALF when on mobile data for the same kind of usage.

If you are getting what you showed on 5G with 120hz that's incredible. Way better than my friend that has a Galaxy S21 Ultra. Any tricks for getting that kind of battery life? That's like the best I've ever seen.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Only 6-8% per hour of battery usage for a browser? Is that wifi or mobile data? If that's true I'll have to try out Brave. Chrome uses about 12% per hour on my Pixel 5 and that's on wifi. Samsung's browser is even worse.

Also, I just have to ask "purveyors of disinformation"? What are you referring to?
Mobile, I never use wifi, it's disabled.
This stock Samsung is heavily optimized. Google play Services*, Playstore*, backup Transport, firebase are disabled.
One of the reasons I run the 10+... it's under my thumb.

*unless needed

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
So looks like mostly wifi. I'm surprised that your battery life isn't much different between wifi and mobile data. In my experience my phone uses a lot more battery when on mobile data than when on wifi. My Pixel 5 battery life drops by HALF when on mobile data for the same kind of usage.

If you are getting what you showed on 5G with 120hz that's incredible. Way better than my friend that has a Galaxy S21 Ultra. Any tricks for getting that kind of battery life? That's like the best I've ever seen.

If I don't forget tomorrow I'll run a full day without WiFi and will upload screenshots. I can't recall accurately but I just know that I didn't have any trouble on that day.

Well again I use the S21U with settings out of the box which is :
- 120Hz FHD
- auto-brightness
- AOD off

I delete an app call "Smart things", because I heard it was causing battery drain (true or not i don't know i just deleted it).

By the way whether you set your display at 60 or 120Hz some says that the battery life is about the same. So better leave that on imo

On a typical day I use :
- Twitter
- Instagram
- WhatsApp
- Telegram
- YouTube
- Spotify
- Reddit
- WeChat
- Samsung Internet

That's pretty it, I don't play games.

I charge my phone every morning, that's pretty it.

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I post a screenshot of how it goes today with WiFi off when battery is 50%. That should be enough to give an idea on how the battery goes. So I maintain that wifi on or off, the difference in battery life is not big. Pretty similar actually
Screenshot_20211017-144908_Smart Manager.jpg

Tristan17

After using alliance shield to install beta 3 on my s21 ultra the battery has been terrible, I have factory reset but nothing helps. Should I give my phone more time to optimise or go back to android 11?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-131308_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-131308_Device care.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 30

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
After using alliance shield to install beta 3 on my s21 ultra the battery has been terrible, I have factory reset but nothing helps. Should I give my phone more time to optimise or go back to android 11?
Turn off all optimization.
It never worked right that I've seen.
Disable apps that are causing trouble or are outright bloatware you don't want or like in my case emergency services, wifi, OS updates that you need to muzzle.

Leave the quiet ones alone. Many have only one specific function and are needed, at least occasionally. Samsung has added dozens of new apks to make Android 10 and certainly 11 usable. The raw 10/11 OS is a mess.
As I compare my two N10+'s, one on Pie, the other Q, the difference is shocking. Around 100 new small apks mostly to rein in Android.
Samsung did a very nice mod job at least with the Q load. My package disabler configuration for my Q variant is very similar to the one I use on the Pie variant. Both run well with good battery life.

Try reverting back to the factory version for Google system apps. Install their updates one at a time... if you must.
Try killing Google play Services when you don't need it. Playstore too. All cloud apps should be disabled.
This is something you need to play with until it makes sense... then it's easy.
Use Accubattery's logging feature to show actual SOT and SO stats to gauge your results.

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
If I don't forget tomorrow I'll run a full day without WiFi and will upload screenshots. I can't recall accurately but I just know that I didn't have any trouble on that day.

Well again I use the S21U with settings out of the box which is :
- 120Hz FHD
- auto-brightness
- AOD off

I delete an app call "Smart things", because I heard it was causing battery drain (true or not i don't know i just deleted it).

By the way whether you set your display at 60 or 120Hz some says that the battery life is about the same. So better leave that on imo

On a typical day I use :
- Twitter
- Instagram
- WhatsApp
- Telegram
- YouTube
- Spotify
- Reddit
- WeChat
- Samsung Internet

That's pretty it, I don't play games.

I charge my phone every morning, that's pretty it.
That's interesting about the "Smart Things" app. I don't think my friend uses that so I'll tell him about that. It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure what refresh rate or resolution my friend has set but knowing him it's probably whatever the out of the box setting is so probably the same as you. Although I do think he turned off auto-brightness since I know he finds it as annoying as I do. It's also interesting that you get good battery life using Samsung Internet. I don't know if it's more optimized to run on Samsung phones or a totally different app than what is available in the Play Store but I've used it on my Pixel 5 and it's a battery hog compared to Chrome.

Anyways, thanks for the info.

Reactions: blackhawk

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
That's interesting about the "Smart Things" app. I don't think my friend uses that so I'll tell him about that. It will be interesting to see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure what refresh rate or resolution my friend has set but knowing him it's probably whatever the out of the box setting is so probably the same as you. Although I do think he turned off auto-brightness since I know he finds it as annoying as I do. It's also interesting that you get good battery life using Samsung Internet. I don't know if it's more optimized to run on Samsung phones or a totally different app than what is available in the Play Store but I've used it on my Pixel 5 and it's a battery hog compared to Chrome.

Oh Samsung Internet is actually good. To be honest I don't have any problem with Samsung Apps they are good. Never really understand why everyone seems to bash Samsung Apps but whatever, preference.

"Smart things" I uninstalled it directly so I really don't know if it's really the culprit for bad battery life and that was long time ago. They probably fixed the issue by then.

Well I will sound like repeating myself but if the battery drain doesn't come for a third party app, there is a chance that it has to do with the network 5G etc. And depending on your friends location and how good he can get 5G signals it will have an impact on battery life.

If the battery drain doesn't come from an app or the network then, the phone must be faulty, which case, need to replace.

Also it will sounds obivous but, your friend needs to make sure he has the latest update installed.

Good luck

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020

Manual brightness always indoors. I don't use my phone in direct sunlight except rarely and then measured in seconds. Display conservation.

I use Brave, Samsung brower and Samsung beta browser. N10+Snapdragon running on Pie.
Samsung for watching vids, 9-11%@hr, 4300mAh battery
Brave for browsing mostly, 7-8%@hr
Brave is more secure, but both have similar usage rates. Samsung is better for watching vids. Lol, Brave can easily support over a 100 open tabs, Samsung maxs out at around 30.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It all depends on how you '"benchmark" the battery life...from those screenshot above those application
    áctive time is very low. If you total that up it is hardly 3 hours of real usage. To prove that your battery life is good you really need to use it actively. In the example below 2 hours of gaming playing pokemon which is not a CPU intensive game, 1 hour of youtube which is common for watching a short movie , 38 minutes of facebook pretty much bring the battery life from 100% to 40% .
    Nobody is trying to "prove" they have good battery life, and nobody has to use their phone the way you say, for them to determine if they have good battery life. All they need to do is use their phone the way THEY use their phone, and decide if the battery life is good for their use. The example you gave means absolutely nothing to me, because I'll never play Pokemon Go on my phone, just as my use likely doesn't apply to many people since they probably won't have 8 hours of talk time. I say that to say, how about you let people use their phones the way they want to use them?
    Try disabling 5G if you are not using it, for some ppl SmartThings drain a lot of battery but you should see that app in log. Can't wait to get mine, also E2100 and coming from Note 8. Was rly looking to have a 2 day phone.
    I got my S21U for 2 days now, and so far I'm a bit disappointed.

The phone gets really hot from time to time, without doing anything particular, just browsing or reading a book.

Coming from a Note10+, that's much worse.

I'm gonna try disabling 5g, it's useless anyways in my neighborhood, I have a really bad coverage, my speedtest showed a gain of 2% compared to LTE.

The heat is on the back in the top right corner, so I'm guessing this is network related.

I've seen a few people mention heat in that area, there's a year down video somewhere that might give some idea of what's in they area
    I suggest doing a factory reset before you think about sending the phone back. Also, initially, be careful about what aps you install - try going with a minimal number of aps so you can get an idea of how the battery does when there are no aps that might pull from the battery - after a few days, add all of the aps you have been using (while avoiding any that might be a battery drain) and try for a few more days to see if you are seeing improved battery life. Good luck - hope it all works out for you.
    Do Not charge past 80%; 65% is best.
    High temperature/high cell voltage permanently degrades this Li fast.
    Avoid full charges until you resolve this issue!!!

Disable all power management except screen/power mode setting (medium) and enable fast charging, nothing else. Close apps when done with them especially when phone is going to sleep. In Developer options>standby apps all buckets should show as active otherwise power management is controlling them.
    Power management causes erratic behavior and excessive power drains the longer it runs. Android cam manage its self very well without it.

Google Backup Transport, Framework and Google Play Services are prime suspects.
    Clear all data of the above three as needed, no harm will come from doing this.

Use Karma Firewall (freeware and uses almost no battery) to permanently block the first two and block GPS as needed (needed for gmail and Playstore, for Playstore a reboot is needed)
    Firewall block Gmaps except when needed.

Disable locations except when needed.
    Disable all cloud crap.
    Disable all Google, Samsung and carrier feedback.
    Disable wifi if not used.
    Set Gmail to manual sync.
    Bluetooth uses little battery at least on my 10+
    Use factory load for all Google apks, add updates one at a time and observe for a week if you take a battery hit.
    Use manual brightness control, avoid use in direct sunlight; try to keep it at around 50% or less.
    Use dark mode and dark wallpapers.

Do a network reset. Use as needed.
    Clear System Cache on boot menu.
    Avoid doing a hard reset as the issue will most likely return. Find the root cause(s).
    Do hard resets only for old loads, virus infections and after major firmware updates.
    You can try a hard reboot but this seldom works.

Galaxy Labs Battery Tracker is a useful tool.
    Data Counter Widget (without the widget) is useful too.
    Seeing what's cached can help track down bad actors as can running apps in Developer options.

lol
    thats what people need to do to use a +1000$ phone these days?
    freaking hell!!