Search This thread

Limeybastard

So I bought the new S21 Ultra on the pre order the day it was announced. I was one of the lucky ones to get early so I could leave a review.

Coming from a Note 10+ that I had for a year and a half, I was really excited for the S21 Ultra, but was really disappointed with the battery life. I've had the phone for 5 days now and since the very beginning I've not been able to use the phone for the whole day on a single charge. It's been giving me screen on times comparable to my Note 10+ (4/5 hours) which is a much older device, but I thought maybe this was the way all S21 ultra's were behaving, just not very good battery life.

BUT, yesterday all the youtubers started to publish they're videos comparing batteries with older S devices and Iphones and their S21s were doing amazing, giving them screen on times of up to 13 hours!

I contacted support but they said this would be normal as my phone was still learning user patterns... but I'm not sure if that would affect it as bad as it is at the moment.

Also, I installed accubattery which is not 100% reliable but compared it to my note 10+ and it seems that battery health is even lower that my Note (95%)! Which I've had for a year and a half!!!

What do you guys think? Should I send the phone back? I'm really concerned that I just spent all this money on a new phone for it to be so bad with battery.
Try using 60hz.

Reactions: blackhawk

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
13h SOT they may be exaggerating 😂
At best I can get up to 8h SOT and it's totally enough for me. If you get less than your Note so less than 4h.... Well I totally feel your frustration. I would say yeah go get it back but maybe find some kind of Samsung support to diagnose where the issue come from. There are many factors that can be the result of poor battery life.

PS : 120Hz is totally fine, you shouldn't be limiting the Ultra to 60Hz. Even by doing so, if it's the only way you get a good battery life, you still have a hidden issue draining your battery off

Jorinrou

Sep 22, 2021
Have you tried to run the phone by uninstalling the third party apps ? The goal is only to know if the battery drain comes from either of the third party apps you've installed.

The thing is that if the phone is facing battery drain issue out of the box, my guess is that you have a defect unit. It definitely isn't normal to have your battery dying so quick
Sigh.. i dunno what to do. I'm not really a tech person but I have very little apps. I don't download many apps, social media I only have Instagram. I'm not sure if there's any settings that I need to set but the draining is quite fast it only last me half a day. My phone gets warm too by simple browsing or scrolling of Instagram just for a short while. It happened on mi 11 ultra hence I change to S21 ultra. Would rather use mi 11 ultra if I knew about all these. Since mi 11 ultra charge rapid within 10 mins which I don't get it from S21 Ultra even when super fast charging is on.

Reactions: Mini Jay

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
Sigh.. i dunno what to do. I'm not really a tech person but I have very little apps. I don't download many apps, social media I only have Instagram. I'm not sure if there's any settings that I need to set but the draining is quite fast it only last me half a day. My phone gets warm too by simple browsing or scrolling of Instagram just for a short while. It happened on mi 11 ultra hence I change to S21 ultra. Would rather use mi 11 ultra if I knew about all these. Since mi 11 ultra charge rapid within 10 mins which I don't get it from S21 Ultra even when super fast charging is on.

I advise you to contact the seller and ask for a replacement (or Samsung.. i don't know how it works when it comes to after sale service) Half a day is way too abnormal and the heating situation you're facing is also abnormal

Security555

Mar 7, 2008
Unfortunately, Samsung out of the box is a trash can.
There is an option though to make a good phone out of it by removing all packages with the name Samsung in it (debloat)
I'm very pleased with the battery life of 2 days and 10 SOT (exynos).
In case you're not willing to debload a phone, Samsung isn't for you.

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
Unfortunately, Samsung out of the box is a trash can.
There is an option though to make a good phone out of it by removing all packages with the name Samsung in it (debloat)
I'm very pleased with the battery life of 2 days and 10 SOT (exynos).
In case you're not willing to debload a phone, Samsung isn't for you.

I'm using it out of the box without debloating anything (don't know how to do that, and I would buy another brand if I am not happy with Samsung software and apps).

And battery life is great so.. not sure that removing the Samsung apps would change a thing IMO

Security555

Mar 7, 2008
I'm using it out of the box without debloating anything (don't know how to do that, and I would buy another brand if I am not happy with Samsung software and apps).

And battery life is great so.. not sure that removing the Samsung apps would change a thing IMO
After debloatig process my SOT went from a little above 4 to over 10 Hours.
Samsung trashware also run in the background all the time even if you never intentionally run it.
Furthermore after bebloating my RAM consumption went down from 9,3GB idle to 3.3GB.
@Jorinrou didn't ask you whether you like the phone or the software or not, also she/he didn't ask your opinion but she/he asked precisely for a practical help.

vlubosh

Samsung trashware also run in the background all the time even if you never intentionally run it.
Furthermore after bebloating my RAM consumption went down from 9,3GB idle to 3.3GB.
@Jorinrou didn't ask you whether you like the phone or the software or not, also she/he didn't ask your opinion but she/he asked precisely for a practical help.
will you post your debloat list? you have disbled or deleted those apps?

Reactions: s3axel

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch

No offense but you advised her to debloat which is not something everyone know how to do. Plus if the Samsung apps drain battery like that why am I standing with a good battery life?

Now if debloating help to save some juice fine I hear you. But what she's facing is a s21 Ultra that doesn't last half a day. The problem is deeper so your debloating solution isn't really solving the issue. Unless what you are saying is that Samsung apps literally kills the battery but come on, that's not the case.

She doesn't need to debloat anything to get a good battery life. You like debloating or whatever, fine good for you, but that's not the case for everyone, and moreover that's not the solution to her problem.

Reactions: Tristan17

albert0pia

Aug 8, 2013
Sydney
I have recently bought S21 ultra exynos version. It's been a week now and I feel the battery is draining very fast on me. I only have Instagram and WhatsApp for social media apps and just another 2 to 3 other non social media apps. Sadly, it can't last me half a day. Battery is dropping so fast. I on airplane mode when I sleep and it still has self heating issues because when I wake up in the morning I can feel the phone is quite warm. Battery dropped about 20% overnight even with airplane mode on. I did not have my location on nor sync email and I try to optimise some of the apps and always close some background app running (which I know some of you surely suggest about it). I even went to Device Care to put some apps to deep sleep as recommended by you guys but it's still doesn't aid my battery lasting issue. Previously I was using xiaomi 11 ultra and I decided to change the phone due to battery life as well. It dropped very quickly. I read up many of you praising about S21 ultra battery life hence I decided to switch. But it seems like its the same battery life as Mi 11 Ultra. I'm kind of regretted to switch because im paying much more for S21 ultra and playing games on mi 11 ultra is so much more better with excellent graphics compared to S21 ultra plus the charging speed on xiaomi 11 ultra is awesome. It only take 15 mins to charge to 90% so its not really an issue for me unless I go out without bringing charger. But Samsung takes much slower to charge even if its on super fast charging. I think it still takes an hour to charge to 90%. Its a huge disappointment on this overrated S21 Ultra that you all reviewed about. Can anyone suggest any tip or ways to help with my battery life? If I have to watch closely all the apps and to turn off this and that like what you all mentioned then it's really pretty useless and waste of money to pay such top dollars for all these hassles...
If you don't mind me asking, what case do you use with your phone? It might sound unrelated to the issue you are facing but you'd be surprised.

Limeybastard

13h SOT they may be exaggerating 😂
At best I can get up to 8h SOT and it's totally enough for me. If you get less than your Note so less than 4h.... Well I totally feel your frustration. I would say yeah go get it back but maybe find some kind of Samsung support to diagnose where the issue come from. There are many factors that can be the result of poor battery life.

PS : 120Hz is totally fine, you shouldn't be limiting the Ultra to 60Hz. Even by doing so, if it's the only way you get a good battery life, you still have a hidden issue draining your battery off
Not sure where you’re pulling up those numbers when you’re referring to my note or s21u. Please send links. Or perhaps you misquoted your response.
My S21u does around 5-6 hours SOT for 40% battery consumption at 60Hz. My Note 20 U did around the same maybe less.

Joloxx9

Jul 6, 2011
UK
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
From what I can say in my case, I have the phone for 4 months now.

I was not happy with the battery life at all, I wake up at 4:30AM and I am going to sleep around 9:30PM. I would call myself as above moderate user. I do not play games on the phone, however I use facebook, messenger,redditt, instagram etc quite often and to be honest - my battery life qould not last me a day. I had to recharge the phone usually. I will just add that I walk quite a lot, around 10k steps a day. I had to use 4g at work, some battery saving(with 120hz)

I noticed, I think since August update, everything changed. Phone is more reliable, I got constant 5G at work + no battery saving and the phone can last me till evening, yes of course I can be at 10% when I am going sleep but it is totally fine. Samsung did a great job with battery improvements.

djrush

Dec 14, 2008
Hi guys.
I have been the proud owner of the S21 Ultra for a week now and I am very happy with it. After almost 2 years I decided to give up my beloved P40 Pro. After initial battery problems, I have now managed to get by for almost 2 days without a charge. What I noticed when researching my battery usage is that the Google Play services draw an immense amount of battery or wake up the cell phone an unusually large amount and thus the consumption in standby is also higher.

Can someone help me here or name approaches that I can use to get this under control?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210930-063306.jpg
    Screenshot_20210930-063306.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20210930-063258.jpg
    Screenshot_20210930-063258.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20210930-063227_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210930-063227_Device care.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 98

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Hi guys.
I have been the proud owner of the S21 Ultra for a week now and I am very happy with it. After almost 2 years I decided to give up my beloved P40 Pro. After initial battery problems, I have now managed to get by for almost 2 days without a charge. What I noticed when researching my battery usage is that the Google Play services draw an immense amount of battery or wake up the cell phone an unusually large amount and thus the consumption in standby is also higher.

Can someone help me here or name approaches that I can use to get this under control?
Disable Goggle backup Transport and Framework.
Disable Google Firebase, in Google settings.
Disable Google play Services when not needed.
Disable playstore if not needed.
Disable any cloud apps.
Disable Google, Samsung and carrier feedback, never needed.
Disable or uninstall all Google and Samsung trashware. Some is useful or only runs when needed... don't go too nuts.
Turn off location and wifi when not needed.
Clear system cache and in Device Care>storage, use system cleaner.

Do not toggle on power management in Device Care; simply close apps when with them.
Keep screen brightness at 40-50% or lower.
Use dark mode and wallpapers.
Turn off animations.
Ditch FB, it's malware... same for twitter, WhatsApp etc. If you can't fully access the site in your browser don't load their trashware on your machine. At the very least use only through the browser...

Reactions: rcastroc59

jimv1983

Feb 28, 2011
Benicia, CA
Disable Goggle backup Transport and Framework.
Disable Google Firebase, in Google settings.
Disable Google play Services when not needed.
Disable playstore if not needed.
Disable any cloud apps.
Disable Google, Samsung and carrier feedback, never needed.
Disable or uninstall all Google and Samsung trashware. Some is useful or only runs when needed... don't go too nuts.
Turn off location and wifi when not needed.
Clear system cache and in Device Care>storage, use system cleaner.

Do not toggle on power management in Device Care; simply close apps when with them.
Keep screen brightness at 40-50% or lower.
Use dark mode and wallpapers.
Turn off animations.
Ditch FB, it's malware... same for twitter, WhatsApp etc. If you can't fully access the site in your browser don't load their trashware on your machine. At the very least use only through the browser...

Using a browser for Facebook is going to be even worse on battery life. The Facebook app uses a lot less battery than any browser. Especially the Samsung browser.

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
Not sure where you’re pulling up those numbers when you’re referring to my note or s21u. Please send links. Or perhaps you misquoted your response.
My S21u does around 5-6 hours SOT for 40% battery consumption at 60Hz. My Note 20 U did around the same maybe less.
You mean about the SOT on the s21U? Well I usually charge my battery when I have around 30% battery left (well time to sleep, and I don't want to wait until 0% before charging, so when I say 8h SOT it's an estimation granted). I join some screenshots of my SOT from yesterday and today.

It should give an idea but battery life at least for me is very good. And I YouTube a lot, browse a lot, use Telegram, WhatsApp, rarely Facebook but the app is here and I have a VPN turned on all day.

On average my SOT is 5-6H per day according to the figures and I unplugged my phone from the charger at 5h30am. By midnight I have around 30% battery left.

I use 120Hz.

Anyway I'm happy with that I think it's okay

Screenshot_20211012-144645_Smart Manager.jpg
Screenshot_20211012-144651_Smart Manager.jpg

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Using a browser for Facebook is going to be even worse on battery life. The Facebook app uses a lot less battery than any browser. Especially the Samsung browser.
You can only send messages using the app so it's useless online except for viewing.
Regardless to hell with fb; spyware, malware, crapware and purveyors of disinformation.
I ran it for 1 month, 14 years ago until I started to see/understood it's risks and liabilities.
Never again... fk that $hit, deplatform fb, gut it, fb is beyond redemption.

This site uses between 6-8%@hr on my Brave browser.

Reactions: Limeybastard

Limeybastard

You mean about the SOT on the s21U? Well I usually charge my battery when I have around 30% battery left (well time to sleep, and I don't want to wait until 0% before charging, so when I say 8h SOT it's an estimation granted). I join some screenshots of my SOT from yesterday and today.

It should give an idea but battery life at least for me is very good. And I YouTube a lot, browse a lot, use Telegram, WhatsApp, rarely Facebook but the app is here and I have a VPN turned on all day.

On average my SOT is 5-6H per day according to the figures and I unplugged my phone from the charger at 5h30am. By midnight I have around 30% battery left.

I use 120Hz.

Anyway I'm happy with that I think it's okay

View attachment 5431143View attachment 5431151
That's not bad considering you have VPN and WeChat running lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It all depends on how you '"benchmark" the battery life...from those screenshot above those application
    áctive time is very low. If you total that up it is hardly 3 hours of real usage. To prove that your battery life is good you really need to use it actively. In the example below 2 hours of gaming playing pokemon which is not a CPU intensive game, 1 hour of youtube which is common for watching a short movie , 38 minutes of facebook pretty much bring the battery life from 100% to 40% .
    Nobody is trying to "prove" they have good battery life, and nobody has to use their phone the way you say, for them to determine if they have good battery life. All they need to do is use their phone the way THEY use their phone, and decide if the battery life is good for their use. The example you gave means absolutely nothing to me, because I'll never play Pokemon Go on my phone, just as my use likely doesn't apply to many people since they probably won't have 8 hours of talk time. I say that to say, how about you let people use their phones the way they want to use them?
    Try disabling 5G if you are not using it, for some ppl SmartThings drain a lot of battery but you should see that app in log. Can't wait to get mine, also E2100 and coming from Note 8. Was rly looking to have a 2 day phone.
    So I bought the new S21 Ultra on the pre order the day it was announced. I was one of the lucky ones to get early so I could leave a review.

Coming from a Note 10+ that I had for a year and a half, I was really excited for the S21 Ultra, but was really disappointed with the battery life. I've had the phone for 5 days now and since the very beginning I've not been able to use the phone for the whole day on a single charge. It's been giving me screen on times comparable to my Note 10+ (4/5 hours) which is a much older device, but I thought maybe this was the way all S21 ultra's were behaving, just not very good battery life.

BUT, yesterday all the youtubers started to publish they're videos comparing batteries with older S devices and Iphones and their S21s were doing amazing, giving them screen on times of up to 13 hours!

I contacted support but they said this would be normal as my phone was still learning user patterns... but I'm not sure if that would affect it as bad as it is at the moment.

Also, I installed accubattery which is not 100% reliable but compared it to my note 10+ and it seems that battery health is even lower that my Note (95%)! Which I've had for a year and a half!!!

What do you guys think? Should I send the phone back? I'm really concerned that I just spent all this money on a new phone for it to be so bad with battery.
    I got my S21U for 2 days now, and so far I'm a bit disappointed.

The phone gets really hot from time to time, without doing anything particular, just browsing or reading a book.

Coming from a Note10+, that's much worse.

I'm gonna try disabling 5g, it's useless anyways in my neighborhood, I have a really bad coverage, my speedtest showed a gain of 2% compared to LTE.

The heat is on the back in the top right corner, so I'm guessing this is network related.

I've seen a few people mention heat in that area, there's a year down video somewhere that might give some idea of what's in they area
    I suggest doing a factory reset before you think about sending the phone back. Also, initially, be careful about what aps you install - try going with a minimal number of aps so you can get an idea of how the battery does when there are no aps that might pull from the battery - after a few days, add all of the aps you have been using (while avoiding any that might be a battery drain) and try for a few more days to see if you are seeing improved battery life. Good luck - hope it all works out for you.