Question Battery Life on both Galaxy Watch 4 44mm and Galaxy Watch 4 Classic 46mm

Search This thread

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
Hi all

As of now there's not much videos or topics around the battery life of the Galaxy Watch 4 and Galaxy Watch 4 classic beside knowing that the smaller of size of each model will have a smaller battery life since they sport a smaller battery.

Galaxy Watch 4 44mm and Galaxy Watch 4 classic 46 mm both have the same battery, but since their size is different, I assume that the regular Galaxy Watch 4 44mm has a slicely better battery life.

What are your thoughts ?

davigar

Feb 3, 2012
The screen is the same so battery life is the same. Around 2 days on light use and 1 day with heavy use.

Reactions: Mini Jay

fliptwister

May 12, 2010
I agree with davigar. I have a classic 46mm. Not running wifi (only bluetooth) and I'm getting about 2 days with no workouts or gps. This is with notifications on with gmail and texts but that is it. Doing workouts and/or gps about a day and a half. Coming from Galaxy Watch (1) which was 4 - 5 days with mixed use. I was very concerned with battery time going to this watch but the added features, better display, better and faster processor, and not being as bulky has won me over. This really is a superbly designed watch. Very happy so far.

Mini Jay

May 26, 2017
Samsung Galaxy Watch
I agree with davigar. I have a classic 46mm. Not running wifi (only bluetooth) and I'm getting about 2 days with no workouts or gps. This is with notifications on with gmail and texts but that is it. Doing workouts and/or gps about a day and a half. Coming from Galaxy Watch (1) which was 4 - 5 days with mixed use. I was very concerned with battery time going to this watch but the added features, better display, better and faster processor, and not being as bulky has won me over. This really is a superbly designed watch. Very happy so far.
Nice ! I just ordered yesterday! Galaxy watch 4 classic. Well i had the Galaxy Gear S3 and with the usage I had the battery life was like a day and a half also so... I probably won't feel any problem regarding the battery life based on both of your feedbacks. That's good to know !

supermario81

Oct 12, 2021
I also have a 46mm GW4C and i get just under 2 days with moderate usage, bt on , screen brightness at 90% , 20-30min navigation a day, all notifications

ekerbuddyeker

I think that the battery life is pretty poor. I have the classic LTE. If I do one hour of cycling as a standalone device using the health app and of course GPS, and then walk for an hour, same settings as I don't want to take a phone with me, I found the battery almost completely drained. So using lte, and gps, and the health app, which is the purpose I bought this, while exercising for a not too long period of time, drains it and is very disappointing to me. I had the Galaxy watch 3 and did not have this issue. Also the Apple watch 5 with no issue.

I also find that while it is wonderful to have a browser on the watch, when used as a standalone to listen to streaming radio the device overheats after only 5 or 6 minutes. It literally goes into airplane mode.

Knowing samsung, they will fix this in updates but I hate paying to be their r&d.

I think this watch looks great and most of the software works flawlessly, but if you are planning to use this for serious exercise as a standalone then you may be disappointed by the battery life.

graemelisa

May 10, 2005
Brilliant watch, but disappointing that the battery life is not a but better - made even harder because it doesn't charge on most wireless chargers....

Does anybody know the impact on battery life of;

1. Wifi - if it does impact noticeably is it needed if you have Bluetooth on and have the lte version with esim activated?
2. Continuous HR monitoring as opposed to every 10 minutes

When you start to monitor an activity - does the 10 minute HR monitoring automatically change to continuous?

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
Brilliant watch, but disappointing that the battery life is not a but better - made even harder because it doesn't charge on most wireless chargers....

1. Wifi - if it does impact noticeably is it needed if you have Bluetooth on and have the lte version with esim activated?

When you start to monitor an activity - does the 10 minute HR monitoring automatically change to continuous?
Don't know for sure about the first two, but as to your last question, the answer is yes - in fact, when monitoring an activity, you should be able to scroll over to see the continuous heart rate readout.

I'm actually fine with the battery life of my 46mm Classic. It does seem to have settled down, and I eliminate or limit the use of battery hogging features and apps. I can get two days - which means I'm solid for a full day (24 hours - not Apple's 'full day' of 18), and that's fine by me (even coming from a Gear S3 that got 3+ days).

Don't forget, this watch does a lot more, we are now on Wear OS3 which brings significant advantages (and, of course, some disadvantages), and it gets more than twice the battery life of the supposed world's best smartwatch (I'm looking at you, The Verge).

Reactions: fliptwister

steveroysston

Mar 30, 2021
Battery life is pretty good in my Galaxy watch 4 Classic, I charge it 3 days once and the only problem is that sometimes the watch doesn't connect properly to my phone.

73sydney

2 days with LTE turned off (my carrier doesnt do eSIMs) but with everything esle one (including GPS) near as makes no difference the same usage as my previous Active 2 here.

What did alarm me (and prolly alarms new users) was the first days shocking battery usage...that first day i was worried id made a bad choice and was ready to go back to my Active 2...give it a day or two and it sorts itself out.

I wouldnt be without it now...being able to snooze or dismiss an alarm set on phone without having to scramble for the phone is wiorth it alone :)

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
GW4 46mm Classic. Note that this is with a lot of standby time over the last few days (watch just sitting on my table). Still, I can get a solid two days in normal use, and I am very pleased with the standby drain:
Screenshot_20211118-093032_Galaxy Watch4 Plugin.jpg

jtOttawa

Oct 27, 2013
Ottawa
And an update, after a few more hours of sitting on my table - crazy good standby time (DUJA software version):

Screenshot_20211118-122137_Galaxy Watch4 Plugin.jpg

friz

Feb 21, 2008
Here are some tips and tricks to improve battery life of your Galaxy watch 4 (classic) :

Reactions: galaxys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are some tips and tricks to improve battery life of your Galaxy watch 4 (classic) :
    The screen is the same so battery life is the same. Around 2 days on light use and 1 day with heavy use.

Don't know for sure about the first two, but as to your last question, the answer is yes - in fact, when monitoring an activity, you should be able to scroll over to see the continuous heart rate readout.

I'm actually fine with the battery life of my 46mm Classic. It does seem to have settled down, and I eliminate or limit the use of battery hogging features and apps. I can get two days - which means I'm solid for a full day (24 hours - not Apple's 'full day' of 18), and that's fine by me (even coming from a Gear S3 that got 3+ days).

Don't forget, this watch does a lot more, we are now on Wear OS3 which brings significant advantages (and, of course, some disadvantages), and it gets more than twice the battery life of the supposed world's best smartwatch (I'm looking at you, The Verge).