Question Battery life thread

Search This thread

Golf c

Jan 4, 2015
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm on a P6 not the pro but I've been bouncing on the battery threads. I turned off adaptive battery stuff but no adaptive network. I went from 2.6% / hr to 0.7% last night. What have you found with the network adaptive turned off?
I don't think it worked for me. Mobile standby drain is still high. 5g drains the phone faster for sure. My idle drain last night was .78% really good for me. My problem is during the day with no wifi. On wifi battery is fine. I'm coming to the conclusion of throwing out all battery apps and plugging my phone in on the way home after work. Hopefully Google can give us a few software tweaks to make it better

skipabeat123

Jun 18, 2020
Network standby battery drain exceeding 36% in safe mode. Replaced my device and the problem is still there. This phone has terrible power consumption. I guess it's time for a refund and an iPhone.
Screenshot_20211123-010313.png

MacGuy2006

Sep 15, 2006
Network standby battery drain exceeding 36% in safe mode. Replaced my device and the problem is still there. This phone has terrible power consumption. I guess it's time for a refund and an iPhone.

Yeah, I missed the window to return the P6P and decided to give it another week. There are things I really like about the P6P, but playing with the iPhone 13 Max is another level altogether. The P6P is still the best Android currently, IMO, and I've been trying to convince myself to stay on the Android side for a daily driver, but there are just too many issues.

In addition to the battery drain, there is the substandard 5G modem, the inability to use the telephoto for most 4x shots, the weir overprocessing across all lenses...

sunNsnow

Dec 16, 2009
I received the P6P yesterday and notice the battery draining quickly but I'm not sure if it's because I just received the phone and spent much of my time setting up the phone from scratch. I charged the phone to 100% before turning it on. I used the phone heavily (mostly on Wi-Fi) for about 10 hours and it was at 38% battery by bedtime. I did not set the mobile SIM to 4G because I forgot to do it.

On comparison, on heavy use days with my P5, it will drain from 100% to about 47% after 17 hours of heavy use (Wi-Fi and mobile SIM that's set at 4G, not 5G). Most of my use are streaming music, emails, browsing, and minor usage of GMaps/Waze. No games or video.

Today, after 9 hours, from 100%, the phone is at 67%. It seems to be draining quicker than the P5. But the P6P is a bigger phone with a massive screen (and different chip). And comparing P6P to the P5 does seem a bit unfair given it's ability to last almost two days without charging again.

But, I'm concerned. I'm waiting to see if the P6P settles once I resume my normal routine.

DrayMeista J

Nov 28, 2012
I have to leave the screen on full brightness all day plus set 30 minutes of inactivity before screen timeout to drain this battery.

lawtq

Oct 12, 2011
Huawei Mate X2
I'd give google a change to update the firmware and fix a lot before deciding about this phone. And it better be good! Of course it might be too late to send phone back by then. Sigh.

I want to like this phone. But even without a sim and in airplane mode on it drains like a mofo, in standby too

Saurabh1392

Nov 24, 2021
I've never had an experience like this. Really hope Google can push out an update ASAP
Lucky you because I've tried changing my sim as thought the previous one might be damaged or something. Same results the network drain is horrible.

I've seen many people complaining of the same as well. However some are totally unaffected. So this is confusing as if it is a software issue or hardware.

vittogn

Jan 15, 2007
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So I think I figured out the cause of battery drain and excessive heating issues.

Like many of you, I've been experiencing horrible battery with around 4.5 hour screen on time per charge and crazy overheating. This was solved by conducting a factory reset and and NOT transfering over/restoring data from a previous phone when your Pixel 6/ 6 Pro prompts you though the initial set up.

I've conducted a factory reset without transfering data and my battery life has doubled. I am also not getting a super hot phone just from light usage anymore - this is exactly what I expected the first time around after owning a Pixel 5, which I thought was a battery beast. Very happy with this phone now!!
Hi what's in your opinion the difference between transferring data from the cloud at set-up and install all your apps one by one (with related data)?
Did you delete your backup in Google Drive of all your apps data before installing them again one by one manually?

Thanks.

KedarWolf

Apr 27, 2012
NFC is enabled by default and from my experience it's a battery drain problem. Need to search Settings, turn it off until you need it.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
NFC is enabled by default and from my experience it's a battery drain problem. Need to search Settings, turn it off until you need it.
Do you have some more info about this? I did a bit of research and the general agreement seems to be that the drain is negligible.

Of course, it is entirely possible that this is a pixel problem. Since NFC can drain a lot when being active, but this should not be a problem as long as NFC is not in active use.

KedarWolf

Apr 27, 2012
I just know on my old Note 10+ battery drain was worse with it on.

And it can't hurt to turn things off if you're not actually using them by any means.

Yeah I've been doing Android betas every year since 2016 and Android 12 has for sure had the most bugs I've encountered during the beta and now public release. For me it can still be a daily driver but they gotta squash the common bugs the next monthly or the first two.
Sadly the official release of Android 12 is just as bad as the beta versions, maybe worse. Google really whiffed on this turkey!

Mine will sit at 100% while being heavily used for a good while, but I am coming off a long run on a Galaxy S6, this has been my first upgrade in many years. So my comparison is not the best. But its been good.

I've had it run wireless tether for many hours and it does not suck the life out the battery like older phones did. Now the question is how long will this new algorithm google put into the p6 and p6p will maintain the battery properly over the span of years.

MArtyChubbs

Mine will sit at 100% while being heavily used for a good while, but I am coming off a long run on a Galaxy S6, this has been my first upgrade in many years. So my comparison is not the best. But its been good.

I've had it run wireless tether for many hours and it does not suck the life out the battery like older phones did. Now the question is how long will this new algorithm google put into the p6 and p6p will maintain the battery properly over the span of years.
The s6 had the worst battery life ever! How did you survive?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm absolutely blown away. Every morning I have a routine where I go outside and have my coffee and chain smoke a few darts, read the news, look at memes and such and typically I'm using it about an hour and on my S21+ or Z Fold 3 I'd always be down to 93 or 94%. Today was no different and I was still at 100 after doing so. I then went to work and used Android auto so it stayed full until about 830 am when I took it off the charger. It's 745 pm and I'm at 80% with just a bit over 4 hrs sot. Didn't tweak any settings whatsoever to try and save battery.
    I asked because it depends on who you're going by.
    The 6 Pro isn't as terrible as Tom's Guide with a 8h 48m and the S21 Ultra and 9 Pro aren't as amazing with 9h 28m and 9h 15m respectively. Yes it's below them but I wouldn't say that's poor. The iPhone 13 Pro Max is still in a tier above everyone else still getting 12h 6m.
    I don't think that anyone with a functioning brain stem calls the Pixel 6 Pros battery life terrible.

It's a phone advertised as a 1-day-battery-life giver and thats exactly what it offers, it survives a full day with ~5-9 hours of SoT (depends heavily on usage).

The P6 Pros problem lies outside Googles own sphere. It simply sucks in comparison to other brands that offer a longer battery life with their flagships. But that still doesn't make Googles offer terrible, it just loses the comparison.

Personally, I'm disappointed by the fact that Tensor uses 2 year old cores and those could have easily improved the SoT by an hour or two if Google would have changed them out, plus the panel is an older one that is not quite as efficient as other offerings; but I guess we'll have to wait until next year to get a more efficient processor.

It should also be noted, of course, that this is Googles first attempt at creating something "unique" and considering that AND the fact that the phone can run several background processes without draining the battery life terribly (adaptive sound, Always-on-display, on-device-translate & analysis (LENS), now playing...) AND it doesn't need to kill of most apps in the background (https://dontkillmyapp.com/ is your friend here), it's not impressive, but decent. It's a decent battery life experience, and I'm ok with that, but others that expect "muh mega battery ULTRA TENSOR want 4 days usage Google ADs have AWOKEN MY NEED FOR LE FUTURE" will get disappointed.

Pixels were never battery life kings, and still are not. So of course people that come in here with their battery-life maxing Huawei/Samsung/backgroundkilling champs will voice their disappointment. Even though that's not a "real" problem, it's simply apples vs bananas all over again.

Always make sure you know what a device can offer and can't before you buy it.

It also helps the environment, since you don't have to send so much stuff back. But I guess people who buy 2 or 3 phones a year don't care about the environment anyway...
    Finally a positive thread hopefully with real experiences and no trolls.
    I am on the fence about returning the P6P still, now mostly based on battery life. Trying to convince myself that Google will improve it through updates, but it seems unlikely. The iPhone 13 Max seems to last so much longer, that it may make a big difference when traveling or hiking.
    Just return it, youre not going to be happy.
    Final stats at 10% battery ,I have no issues at all with battery ,7.5 SOT is more than even ,deep sleep drain is around 4/5% in 9 hrs ,hope it's stays like this