• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Battery life thread

Search This thread

Dutt1217

Nov 27, 2021
I'm not a Pixel fan boy or samsung fan boy because I like aspects of both and is the reason I bounce back and forth all the time. I sold my S21 ultra 16gb 512gb for the pixel 6 pro and I'm not so sure I made the right choice. I'm past the window to return so I'm stuck with the pixel. I really want to like the p6p and be glad I made the switch from S21 ultra, but unless Google can fix/improve the battery drain and and all the bugs, then I think I'll have to switch to S22 ultra. At least you know Samsung won't skimp on hardware or cut any corners. While samsung won't be getting insta updates because they aren't Google and have to add One UI, but they sure have increased the speed of their version of Android 12/One UI 4 to a couple months instead of 6+ months. I want to root for Google but they always find a way to screw something up hardware wise.

Ultimoose

Jan 17, 2011
Random data point -

P6P, unlocked and rooted. Apps restored manually not from Google from P2XL using either the built in back up restore option of the app or TB.

Only stock change so far was turn off carrier fast switching in Dev options (forget the specific one). AOD, lift to wake, blah blah blah no changes. No apps/services as of yet have been disabled. Still very much stock other than unlocked/root.

Set the phone down around 9:00 p.m. picked it back up around 6:00 a.m., checked accubattery and cpu spy.

Phone spent 88% of that 9 hours in deep sleep, burned 0.6% an hour.

Other factors:

Phone is on wifi during this time.

I have a Garmin watch that's bound to the P6P via BT that gets text and phone notifications typically but I have notifications stopped between 10:00 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. on the Garmin side.

Smart Lock is turned on for my watch.

MArtyChubbs

I'm not a Pixel fan boy or samsung fan boy because I like aspects of both and is the reason I bounce back and forth all the time. I sold my S21 ultra 16gb 512gb for the pixel 6 pro and I'm not so sure I made the right choice. I'm past the window to return so I'm stuck with the pixel. I really want to like the p6p and be glad I made the switch from S21 ultra, but unless Google can fix/improve the battery drain and and all the bugs, then I think I'll have to switch to S22 ultra. At least you know Samsung won't skimp on hardware or cut any corners. While samsung won't be getting insta updates because they aren't Google and have to add One UI, but they sure have increased the speed of their version of Android 12/One UI 4 to a couple months instead of 6+ months. I want to root for Google but they always find a way to screw something up hardware wise.
The last Samsung phone I had was purchased at launch and bugs were fixed with subsequent monthly updates. Are you saying that's not the case with the current lineup? Bug free at launch would be an accomplishment by Samsung... Also skimp on hardware? Aren't the display processor and modem made by Samsung on the pixel 6 pro? Maybe they saved all the shortcuts for Google?? 🤷

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
The last Samsung phone I had was purchased at launch and bugs were fixed with subsequent monthly updates. Are you saying that's not the case with the current lineup? Bug free at launch would be an accomplishment by Samsung... Also skimp on hardware? Aren't the display processor and modem made by Samsung on the pixel 6 pro? Maybe they saved all the shortcuts for Google?? 🤷
There are no device lines without problems in hardware or software. I have several S21 Ultra running in my family and 2 of them have a yellow tint, I tried a lot by playing around with several display color programs (native and other) but was never able to produce true whites, whilst my Pixel 6 can do it out of the box.

Now there are people in this forum, however, that have a pixel 6 with a yellow tint.

Whilst all those S21 Ultra device owners without any tint will claim their device is perfect, even though I've seen hardware faults.

So, where's the truth now?

In the end, every device made has defects or quirks, question just is, how many, does the manufacturer care and will they actually reduce those over time?

Google has a long history of minor hardware defects, whilst Samsung has a history of exploding phones (compared to a series defect which results in thousands of potential explosions, every other defect is minor), so I'd call that best case even.

Last edited:

Dutt1217

Nov 27, 2021
What annoys me the most is how apple is able to get double the battery life compared to Android flagship out of only 4350mah and still has 5G, big 120hz display, and A15 chip that equals / exceeds all competition. If Apple can do it, then why the hell can't Google do it? Especially if they designed the chip they way they wanted and should have some of the smartest engineers in the world as big as a company they are.

thethruth

Apr 16, 2021
What annoys me the most is how apple is able to get double the battery life compared to Android flagship out of only 4350mah and still has 5G, big 120hz display, and A15 chip that equals / exceeds all competition. If Apple can do it, then why the hell can't Google do it? Especially if they designed the chip they way they wanted and should have some of the smartest engineers in the world as big as a company they are.
I agree 💯 it doesn't make any sense to be this behind on battery especially with such a bigger battery most of the time.

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
If you're comparing the iPhone 13 pro to a P6P, the two have different screen sizes which is going to result in less pixels on screen being used and less battery consumption.

Apple isn't free from having "low battery" themselves. Last year's iPhone 12 pro and non-pro models had 8.5 - 9hrs of usage, with their mini coming in at 7.5.

You have to look at what's under the hood before saying, "if Apple can do something so well, why can't everyone else?" They've also been in the game longer, which means more time to develop and tune their sw and hardware to be as efficient as possible.

This is Google's first attempt at using an in-house chip while being paired with a very buggy Android 12 release and less than stellar modem. Give them time to fine-tune everything and see what they can cook up in the future.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211128-145755.png
    Screenshot_20211128-145755.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 53
Wow. What settings do you have on/off? 5G, 120hz, on wifi? I can barely manage 6 hours SoT but I have everything on. 5G, BT, 120hz.
I don't have anything disabled, wifi on, 5G,120hz, AoD, Bluetooth with my Galaxy watch 4 constantly connected and sometimes my pixel buds, I'm using Despair kernel v1.04. But this is fairly ordinary for me even before that. Also rooted with magisk and lsposed enabled. Also, I set a timer when I plugged my phone in for 30 minutes. I was at 5% and in 30 minutes it went to 46% with a supported power delivery max speed charger. I have a multimeter and confirmed that it does charge at 23W.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211128-184906.png
    Screenshot_20211128-184906.png
    236.4 KB · Views: 49
So is it that kernel that's helping?
I think it is some, but it's mostly helping with idle drain, I was losing around 3 prevent an hour with screen off on stock, now it's below 2 during the day and usually below 1 at night since it goes into deep sleep. Even when I was on stock though I was getting pretty decent battery I felt. I charge my phone Weird, I'll charge it at 8:00 or 9:00 at night 100% and I go to bed after taking it off the charger, I've had no issues making it through the night and then the next day until about 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. and I'm on my phone A LOT

kheltek

Feb 25, 2013
I think it is some, but it's mostly helping with idle drain, I was losing around 3 prevent an hour with screen off on stock, now it's below 2 during the day and usually below 1 at night since it goes into deep sleep. Even when I was on stock though I was getting pretty decent battery I felt. I charge my phone Weird, I'll charge it at 8:00 or 9:00 at night 100% and I go to bed after taking it off the charger, I've had no issues making it through the night and then the next day until about 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. and I'm on my phone A LOT
Do you have location on, as well as location history and accuracy?

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
My stats, did a clean install a few days back. They're maybe a little better than before, but nothing crazy.

Screenshot_20211128-223206.png

My girlfriend's regular P6 shows 19hr SOT and around .8%/hr idle, for comparison.

Regarding Tensor vs A15, gotta remember this is a first gen Google chip. Give them some time and I'm sure they'll be squeezing a lot more out of it :)

Oh hey, a side note: my adaptive brightness is starting to change more quickly/appropriately finally, it only took 2 1/2 weeks :p

Utini

Dec 25, 2010
www.whymacsucks.com
www.whymacsucks.com
Do these stats look normal? To me it reads like my phone is never going into deep sleep?

And battery drain is also pretty high although I use my P6P as dual SIM for work and private.

Not using 5G (only 4G). In Wifi with good signal all day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211129-174545.png
    Screenshot_20211129-174545.png
    187 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20211129-174502.png
    Screenshot_20211129-174502.png
    336 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20211129-174523.png
    Screenshot_20211129-174523.png
    414.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20211129-174531.png
    Screenshot_20211129-174531.png
    286.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20211129-174537.png
    Screenshot_20211129-174537.png
    257.5 KB · Views: 44

Utini

Dec 25, 2010
www.whymacsucks.com
www.whymacsucks.com
Okay here are screens that make sense. Somehow gsam battery updated itself and now it shows me that the kernel is keeping the system awake for 5h during a 14h day. But why?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211129-194241.png
    Screenshot_20211129-194241.png
    431.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20211129-194249.png
    Screenshot_20211129-194249.png
    350.2 KB · Views: 32

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So here's my phone with adaptive battery on the whole time since I got it, October 29th, up to the morning of November 22nd.
Screenshot_20211129-053834.png

And here's my phone with adaptive battery off for the last 7 days.
Screenshot_20211122-052926.png

I would say my results are kind of inconclusive. I technically got more screen on time and screen off time with adaptive battery on yet my combined use was more with adaptive battery off. That being said, I'll still leave adaptive battery on as I don't notice a performance difference between the two and I have had a combined use near 17 hours with it on too.

AlkaliV2

Jun 12, 2012
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Okay here are screens that make sense. Somehow gsam battery updated itself and now it shows me that the kernel is keeping the system awake for 5h during a 14h day. But why?
I already posted this before but there are a handful of kernel wakelocks that keep the phone awake and at least with Despair Kernel we can block them. It was a few pages back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has the January update changed anyones battery life?
    No change for me and Mobile Network Standby is still a battery hog. My signal is about 1bar on my 6 pro and with the same sim on my old pixel 4 it goes to half way. Definitely crap modem causing battery drain in lower signal areas. Found turning adaptive connectivity off has helped along with switching mobile date always on off in developer options.
    I just want future pixel phones to be better with the battery. For that to happen they need to cut the crap trying to cut corners and make something efficient. I may try Samsung if they plan on coming out with another S22 line, but I'm concerned about being able to root and unlock bootloader.
    There is one thing you need to know, bootloader will be locked in NA. Has been for the last 5-6 years.
    I'm coming to accept the phone is what it is. Battery life is marginally better than my 4xl. Fell for the hype but I can live with it until the pixel 8 or better phone arrives.

I feel Google over promised and under delivered with regards to battery life. But my use case is very heavy GPS, audio & video streaming all day. So, I can understand why I'm not getting 24hrs plus as advertised.
    Light to medium user, hitting 24hr battery life regularly. Not sure how the SOT is displayed on this phone, but I'm sure it said 11hrs the other day.....
    Screenshot_20220116-203120.png
    No change for me and Mobile Network Standby is still a battery hog. My signal is about 1bar on my 6 pro and with the same sim on my old pixel 4 it goes to half way. Definitely crap modem causing battery drain in lower signal areas. Found turning adaptive connectivity off has helped along with switching mobile date always on off in developer options.
    I'm coming to accept the phone is what it is. Battery life is marginally better than my 4xl. Fell for the hype but I can live with it until the pixel 8 or better phone arrives.

I feel Google over promised and under delivered with regards to battery life. But my use case is very heavy GPS, audio & video streaming all day. So, I can understand why I'm not getting 24hrs plus as advertised.

I am also coming from the P4XL. To me the battery life on the P6P is better.

In the past I used the P4XL as single SIM for private usage only.
    That means it was unplugged at 06:00h and left nearly untouched until I went out of the office.
    Now I use my P6P as dual SIM for private and work related stuff.
    That means it gets unplugged at 06:00h and is basically in constant use throughout the day.
    I end up with the same battery usage after a day on both phones, even though the P6P is getting used more.
    I'm absolutely blown away. Every morning I have a routine where I go outside and have my coffee and chain smoke a few darts, read the news, look at memes and such and typically I'm using it about an hour and on my S21+ or Z Fold 3 I'd always be down to 93 or 94%. Today was no different and I was still at 100 after doing so. I then went to work and used Android auto so it stayed full until about 830 am when I took it off the charger. It's 745 pm and I'm at 80% with just a bit over 4 hrs sot. Didn't tweak any settings whatsoever to try and save battery.
    I asked because it depends on who you're going by.
    The 6 Pro isn't as terrible as Tom's Guide with a 8h 48m and the S21 Ultra and 9 Pro aren't as amazing with 9h 28m and 9h 15m respectively. Yes it's below them but I wouldn't say that's poor. The iPhone 13 Pro Max is still in a tier above everyone else still getting 12h 6m.
    I don't think that anyone with a functioning brain stem calls the Pixel 6 Pros battery life terrible.

It's a phone advertised as a 1-day-battery-life giver and thats exactly what it offers, it survives a full day with ~5-9 hours of SoT (depends heavily on usage).

The P6 Pros problem lies outside Googles own sphere. It simply sucks in comparison to other brands that offer a longer battery life with their flagships. But that still doesn't make Googles offer terrible, it just loses the comparison.

Personally, I'm disappointed by the fact that Tensor uses 2 year old cores and those could have easily improved the SoT by an hour or two if Google would have changed them out, plus the panel is an older one that is not quite as efficient as other offerings; but I guess we'll have to wait until next year to get a more efficient processor.

It should also be noted, of course, that this is Googles first attempt at creating something "unique" and considering that AND the fact that the phone can run several background processes without draining the battery life terribly (adaptive sound, Always-on-display, on-device-translate & analysis (LENS), now playing...) AND it doesn't need to kill of most apps in the background (https://dontkillmyapp.com/ is your friend here), it's not impressive, but decent. It's a decent battery life experience, and I'm ok with that, but others that expect "muh mega battery ULTRA TENSOR want 4 days usage Google ADs have AWOKEN MY NEED FOR LE FUTURE" will get disappointed.

Pixels were never battery life kings, and still are not. So of course people that come in here with their battery-life maxing Huawei/Samsung/backgroundkilling champs will voice their disappointment. Even though that's not a "real" problem, it's simply apples vs bananas all over again.

Always make sure you know what a device can offer and can't before you buy it.

It also helps the environment, since you don't have to send so much stuff back. But I guess people who buy 2 or 3 phones a year don't care about the environment anyway...
    Finally a positive thread hopefully with real experiences and no trolls.
    I am on the fence about returning the P6P still, now mostly based on battery life. Trying to convince myself that Google will improve it through updates, but it seems unlikely. The iPhone 13 Max seems to last so much longer, that it may make a big difference when traveling or hiking.
    Just return it, youre not going to be happy.
    Final stats at 10% battery ,I have no issues at all with battery ,7.5 SOT is more than even ,deep sleep drain is around 4/5% in 9 hrs ,hope it's stays like this