• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Battery life thread

Search This thread

Utini

Dec 25, 2010
www.whymacsucks.com
www.whymacsucks.com
I already posted this before but there are a handful of kernel wakelocks that keep the phone awake and at least with Despair Kernel we can block them. It was a few pages back.

It is just weird because initially I had great battery life. Now suddenly this. Which is why I thought that it must be an app.

Extreme battery saver seems to enable deep sleep.

Mtha86

Feb 28, 2018
Hello . .. i will share my experience here...

I am constantly getting around 6 hours SOT. Yesterday i had 6 hours and 20 minutes with 4 % battery left. Mostly on mobile network.

When i am on wifi the whole day, i get 8 hours + SOT.

I love the battery, especially coming from a buggy Oneplus 8 Pro: mostly got around 4.5 - 5 hours SOT on mobile network.
Maybe the Pixel is not Iphone 13 like , but the battery keeps me through a wohle day.

I see that mobile network uses around 30 % battery .. I have 5G enabled, so i guess i could even get better battery life by switching to 4G, since theres no 5G around here ..
But still i get those 6 hours SOT.! So who cares about it if battery is good?
If Google manages to squeeze a little more out with some future updates, i m more than happy!

What i need to say: i did a factory reset and installed all manually, and it seems this has helped a bit. At first i was around 5 hours SOT on mobile netowork (with 5g disabled).. Just try it

For me , its just the perfect device and i like the battery :) But still i m hoping the manage to fix mobile network drain in a future update, the we can get sick SOT.

just give google some time, its their first custom made chip!

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
I disabled the below apps and my battery seems to be SIGNIFICANTLY better. Losing roughly 5% every 40 minutes, 5G on. Phone seems cooler too.

Anyone willing to try and report back?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211130-203637.png
    Screenshot_20211130-203637.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 272
  • Screenshot_20211130-203627.png
    Screenshot_20211130-203627.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

pharazonic

Dec 1, 2021
Do i win the award for the worst battery life lol?

I couldn't even get to 4.5 hours SOT today and I was mostly home. My usage is probably light to moderate - browsing social media, texting, opening the camera app here and there. No heavy video recording or editing. Have 5G disabled, AOD disabled, lift to wake disabled.

I want to love this phone but this is quite unacceptable for a flagship. I just want to break 7hrs SOT. I'll be doing a factory reset + clean install to see if it helps...

To add insult to injury, the lack of a OP style dash charging, and the lack of a headphone jack makes this even worse. My previous phone was OnePlus 5 and I'm sure I'd charge it quite a bit given that the battery was much smaller. That said, it was a lot more seamless to top up over the day because I could charge it in my car and still listen to music and the user experience was not impacted.

Again, I want to love my pixel, but it is really bothering me that I'm beyond the return period. Hoping / praying that Google implement something to help those of us that have battery life as bad as I do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211130-202218.png
    Screenshot_20211130-202218.png
    324.4 KB · Views: 107

Mtha86

Feb 28, 2018

I couldn't even get to 4.5 hours SOT today and I was mostly home. My usage is probably light to moderate - browsing social media, texting, opening the camera app here and there. No heavy video recording or editing. Have 5G disabled, AOD disabled, lift to wake disabled.

I want to love this phone but this is quite unacceptable for a flagship. I just want to break 7hrs SOT. I'll be doing a factory reset + clean install to see if it helps...

To add insult to injury, the lack of a OP style dash charging, and the lack of a headphone jack makes this even worse. My previous phone was OnePlus 5 and I'm sure I'd charge it quite a bit given that the battery was much smaller. That said, it was a lot more seamless to top up over the day because I could charge it in my car and still listen to music and the user experience was not impacted.

Again, I want to love my pixel, but it is really bothering me that I'm beyond the return period. Hoping / praying that Google implement something to help those of us that have battery life as bad as I do.

Did you install everything yourself or did you copy your old phone.. i copied all from my Oneplus 8 Pro, and it seems after i did a factory reset and installed all manually , it seems a little bit better.
I have about the same usage as you, and i am getting around 6 hours (sometimes 6.5 sometimes 5.5) SOT, with 5G but not AOD , in wifi around 7.5 ..

Maybe this could help :-/

Maybe they even give out a fix with December update

Reactions: pharazonic

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Yeah that's definitely not great. I get around just over 5 hours SOT with 80% used. What's your screen brightness at most of the time when indoors? I'm on adaptive brightness and indoors at work it's usually between 70-78% brightness.

Reactions: pharazonic

pharazonic

Dec 1, 2021
Did you install everything yourself or did you copy your old phone.. i copied all from my Oneplus 8 Pro, and it seems after i did a factory reset and installed all manually , it seems a little bit better.
I have about the same usage as you, and i am getting around 6 hours (sometimes 6.5 sometimes 5.5) SOT, with 5G but not AOD , in wifi around 7.5 ..

Maybe this could help :-/

Maybe they even give out a fix with December update
I copied everything but pictures from my old phone, a OP5. I'll be doing a factory reset and installing everything from scratch, soon.

I'm getting desperate 😔 my SOT somehow got worse yesterday: 3hrs 10 minutes, and again, nothing that crazy that a 5000mAh battery shouldn't be able to handle. I've turned off wifi and Bluetooth scanning, that didn't seem to make a difference. My AOD has always been off, as had lift to wake.

Honestly opening myself to the idea of selling this device, eating a loss and either replacing the battery on my OP5 or buying some other device because this is really stressing me out and bothering me. 😥

(Oh, and just a vent from one former OP user to another... Man, I'd be okay with this type of battery life if the phone had Dash Charging and a headphone jack. I typically charger my phone at night but if it is draining the battery so quickly, Dash Chargings insane topups would be so handy. And i drive an older car so charging would be fine if i had a headphone jack. My phone died last night at work and on the way home, i had to listen to the radio 😒 i got 13% in roughly 13 minutes which wasn't terrible but yeah, sorely missing my OP 😅)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211201-220309.png
    Screenshot_20211201-220309.png
    317.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

pharazonic

Dec 1, 2021
Yeah that's definitely not great. I get around just over 5 hours SOT with 80% used. What's your screen brightness at most of the time when indoors? I'm on adaptive brightness and indoors at work it's usually between 70-78% brightness.
When indoors, during the day, anywhere from 39% (that's what it is right now clear day but indirect sunlight) to that 55-75% mark. I have Adaptive brightness and it generally does hover around that 55-75 mark which works for me.

Gnaius

Aug 2, 2018
Rome
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I'm getting excellent battery life. About the same as my 3XL, I think — although I haven't done rigorous tests. I tend to go to bed with at least 30% left, and I use it throughout the day. Note: I do have 5G turned off.

Alekos

I was thinking this, why did Google create and enforce Adaptive Charging but all manufacturers have said it's ok to charge your phone at night. it seems like such a weird thing. is it ok to have your battery at 100% for 6hrs every night, or not? if neither what's the damage? interesting...

Saurabh1392

Nov 24, 2021
Hey bud! Did you upgrade from 2xl to 6 as well?

Btw are you having network standby drain as well?

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Because of an unexpected bootloop I was unable to solve, I had to factory reset (again) and rooted the stock firmware. I was able to get just under 10hrs of SoT which is awesome.

I've not done anything different this time around, except leave Adaptive Connectivity on, including Adaptive Battery + Charging. I did have 120hz display running but I always turn off AOD as I don't care for that feature.

A majority of my usage was texting, some web browsing and online chats. My phone was charged to 100% right as I started work at 2:30 PM, then minimal usage throughout that same day, but heavier usage that evening and next day.

I'm sure once I charge to 80% I'll get around 8hrs of SoT which is usual, but even at 100% before I always had less than I did this time, so idk what's happening lol.

I cropped out a few names of apps I use for privacy reasons.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211203-210202.png
    Screenshot_20211203-210202.png
    452.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20211203-203838~2.png
    Screenshot_20211203-203838~2.png
    417.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot_20211203-210142.png
    Screenshot_20211203-210142.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20211203-202433~2.png
    Screenshot_20211203-202433~2.png
    467 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: Alekos

Alekos

Because of an unexpected bootloop I was unable to solve, I had to factory reset (again) and rooted the stock firmware. I was able to get just under 10hrs of SoT which is awesome.

I've not done anything different this time around, except leave Adaptive Connectivity on, including Adaptive Battery + Charging. I did have 120hz display running but I always turn off AOD as I don't care for that feature.

A majority of my usage was texting, some web browsing and online chats. My phone was charged to 100% right as I started work at 2:30 PM, then minimal usage throughout that same day, but heavier usage that evening and next day.

I'm sure once I charge to 80% I'll get around 8hrs of SoT which is usual, but even at 100% before I always had less than I did this time, so idk what's happening lol.

I cropped out a few names of apps I use for privacy reasons.
I thought my 9 hours was insane from 100% to 5%. your usage is a lot like mine. I guess everybody has different apps installed and uses their phones completely different. If you can get 6 or 7 hours from 100-10% I think your in good shape.

kheltek

Feb 25, 2013
I thought my 9 hours was insane from 100% to 5%. your usage is a lot like mine. I guess everybody has different apps installed and uses their phones completely different. If you can get 6 or 7 hours from 100-10% I think your in good shape.
I stopped looking at mobile network standby because my ocd was.goimg bonkers. After a factory reset and restoring from backup, battery life has been great after a few days. I put a few apps to restricted, turned off AOD and location history,, everything else on. Started the day at 100%, at 6 am and was on 5g or LTE depending on signal (and sometimes.a poor signal), and ended the day with 28% at 11 pm with a little over 5 hours of sot. Phone didn't get hot at all which was really impressive considering how my signal is at work.

Reactions: Golf c

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yeah, I usually do YouTube on my drive home for work or listen to music, and play some games on occasion but haven't really set all those up yet.

6-7hrs of SoT isn't a lot IMO, since my old P2XL probably had 4-5 with the state the battery was in. That device used to get 11hrs of SoT, so if I can still get around the same of 10hrs I'll be happy.

I like your Spy vs Spy avatar BTW!

Reactions: Alekos

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has the January update changed anyones battery life?
    No change for me and Mobile Network Standby is still a battery hog. My signal is about 1bar on my 6 pro and with the same sim on my old pixel 4 it goes to half way. Definitely crap modem causing battery drain in lower signal areas. Found turning adaptive connectivity off has helped along with switching mobile date always on off in developer options.
    Light to medium user, hitting 24hr battery life regularly. Not sure how the SOT is displayed on this phone, but I'm sure it said 11hrs the other day.....
    Screenshot_20220116-203120.png
    No change for me and Mobile Network Standby is still a battery hog. My signal is about 1bar on my 6 pro and with the same sim on my old pixel 4 it goes to half way. Definitely crap modem causing battery drain in lower signal areas. Found turning adaptive connectivity off has helped along with switching mobile date always on off in developer options.
    I'm coming to accept the phone is what it is. Battery life is marginally better than my 4xl. Fell for the hype but I can live with it until the pixel 8 or better phone arrives.

I feel Google over promised and under delivered with regards to battery life. But my use case is very heavy GPS, audio & video streaming all day. So, I can understand why I'm not getting 24hrs plus as advertised.

I am also coming from the P4XL. To me the battery life on the P6P is better.

In the past I used the P4XL as single SIM for private usage only.
    That means it was unplugged at 06:00h and left nearly untouched until I went out of the office.
    Now I use my P6P as dual SIM for private and work related stuff.
    That means it gets unplugged at 06:00h and is basically in constant use throughout the day.
    I end up with the same battery usage after a day on both phones, even though the P6P is getting used more.
    I'm coming to accept the phone is what it is. Battery life is marginally better than my 4xl. Fell for the hype but I can live with it until the pixel 8 or better phone arrives.

I feel Google over promised and under delivered with regards to battery life. But my use case is very heavy GPS, audio & video streaming all day. So, I can understand why I'm not getting 24hrs plus as advertised.

I usually work day with barely 40% battery left. Most used is just browsing the web, streaming some music and messaging. I would love to get even half of 24 hours battery life.
    I'm absolutely blown away. Every morning I have a routine where I go outside and have my coffee and chain smoke a few darts, read the news, look at memes and such and typically I'm using it about an hour and on my S21+ or Z Fold 3 I'd always be down to 93 or 94%. Today was no different and I was still at 100 after doing so. I then went to work and used Android auto so it stayed full until about 830 am when I took it off the charger. It's 745 pm and I'm at 80% with just a bit over 4 hrs sot. Didn't tweak any settings whatsoever to try and save battery.
    I asked because it depends on who you're going by.
    The 6 Pro isn't as terrible as Tom's Guide with a 8h 48m and the S21 Ultra and 9 Pro aren't as amazing with 9h 28m and 9h 15m respectively. Yes it's below them but I wouldn't say that's poor. The iPhone 13 Pro Max is still in a tier above everyone else still getting 12h 6m.
    I don't think that anyone with a functioning brain stem calls the Pixel 6 Pros battery life terrible.

It's a phone advertised as a 1-day-battery-life giver and thats exactly what it offers, it survives a full day with ~5-9 hours of SoT (depends heavily on usage).

The P6 Pros problem lies outside Googles own sphere. It simply sucks in comparison to other brands that offer a longer battery life with their flagships. But that still doesn't make Googles offer terrible, it just loses the comparison.

Personally, I'm disappointed by the fact that Tensor uses 2 year old cores and those could have easily improved the SoT by an hour or two if Google would have changed them out, plus the panel is an older one that is not quite as efficient as other offerings; but I guess we'll have to wait until next year to get a more efficient processor.

It should also be noted, of course, that this is Googles first attempt at creating something "unique" and considering that AND the fact that the phone can run several background processes without draining the battery life terribly (adaptive sound, Always-on-display, on-device-translate & analysis (LENS), now playing...) AND it doesn't need to kill of most apps in the background (https://dontkillmyapp.com/ is your friend here), it's not impressive, but decent. It's a decent battery life experience, and I'm ok with that, but others that expect "muh mega battery ULTRA TENSOR want 4 days usage Google ADs have AWOKEN MY NEED FOR LE FUTURE" will get disappointed.

Pixels were never battery life kings, and still are not. So of course people that come in here with their battery-life maxing Huawei/Samsung/backgroundkilling champs will voice their disappointment. Even though that's not a "real" problem, it's simply apples vs bananas all over again.

Always make sure you know what a device can offer and can't before you buy it.

It also helps the environment, since you don't have to send so much stuff back. But I guess people who buy 2 or 3 phones a year don't care about the environment anyway...
    Finally a positive thread hopefully with real experiences and no trolls.
    I am on the fence about returning the P6P still, now mostly based on battery life. Trying to convince myself that Google will improve it through updates, but it seems unlikely. The iPhone 13 Max seems to last so much longer, that it may make a big difference when traveling or hiking.
    Just return it, youre not going to be happy.
    Final stats at 10% battery ,I have no issues at all with battery ,7.5 SOT is more than even ,deep sleep drain is around 4/5% in 9 hrs ,hope it's stays like this