General Battery life thread

Search This thread

gnite6

Nov 11, 2021
Those are pretty much the same numbers I'm seeing. I had around 80 hours of screen off time before I started listening to music/podcasts over bluetooth for ~8 hours a day. I think the battery life is great, I'm finishing most days with 50% left.

Screenshot_20211203-212952.png

silverkin

Nov 2, 2012
I am experiencing same battery like @gnite6 but only on wifi, still when on mobile data it eats battery like 3 times faster. Waiting for Monday to obtain an update, hope it's going to fix mobile radio issue.

wahm2021

Nov 1, 2021
Huge update on the way peeps. Next week should fix 100 of issues. Looks like Google is listening and I expect a boost in battery life esp when using mobile data.

WibblyW

May 24, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Moto X Play
I am experiencing same battery like @gnite6 but only on wifi, still when on mobile data it eats battery like 3 times faster. Waiting for Monday to obtain an update, hope it's going to fix mobile radio issue.
It all does depend on the apps you're running etc, but 1.8%/hr with the screen off (assuming you're not streaming music etc) isn't great. I usually wind up at 0.7 - 0.9%/hr or so over night with previous phones with my set up. Seeing over 1 - 1.5%/hr on my P6 currently with the same set up, despite it having a bigger battery than any previous phone I've had. So, today at least, the P6 is clearly consuming much more power when it has 'nothing to do overnight' than my previous phones, which is even more than offsetting its bigger battery.

In fact all my Android phones have, perversely, ultimately reported around 0.7 - 0.9%/hr drain over night regardless of their battery size. All set up with the same apps and all but a few of those apps not allowed to run in background (or force closed in the old days). It's as if all Android phones' design philosophies are that's the target minimum battery consumption and there's no need to optimise below that... i.e. with a bigger battery, there's no need to optimise so much. My 0.7 - 0.9%/hr will be different for other set ups, but I always expected my number to be lower if the phone has a bigger battery. But it's not.... :-(

Last edited:

Ardion

Dec 15, 2013
Has anyone experienced a huge increase in battery usage since the release of the device?
When i received the device last year, i had to charge it two or three times a week.
Now i have to charge it every day, with less that 2 hours screen on time per day.

What I have noticed is that my mobile network uses 50% of the energy.
Even when the device is in WiFi for 16 hours a day.
I am using dual sim, with both limited to 4G.

Reactions: keithy999
i think the battery life is pretty awesome with this phone but have something weird happening where the 'Mobile Network' consistently takes the most battery of all apps and services.
it's always tops the list, even above 'Screen', which seems kind of unnatural.
View attachment 5587803
the way android reports mobile network usage changed at some point. It's not broken, it's just very misleading:

system battery usage is a percentage of the total battery usage
mobile network usage is a percentage of system battery usage

so it's a percentage of a percentage
obviously it's the biggest percentage of the system apps because mobile radio is always active
mobile radio doesnt just measure mobile data, it measures everything related to cell signal, data usage, cell signal strength and so on
i've been monitoring my battery usage and idle drain since i got the phone (preordered before launch)
usage has never spiked even after the mobile network usage reporting changed in battery stats

tl;dr google's bad at relaying info to the user, nothing bad's happening with mobile network usage

Reactions: mr.serfus
the way android reports mobile network usage changed at some point. It's not broken, it's just very misleading:

system battery usage is a percentage of the total battery usage
mobile network usage is a percentage of system battery usage

so it's a percentage of a percentage
obviously it's the biggest percentage of the system apps because mobile radio is always active
mobile radio doesnt just measure mobile data, it measures everything related to cell signal, data usage, cell signal strength and so on
i've been monitoring my battery usage and idle drain since i got the phone (preordered before launch)
usage has never spiked even after the mobile network usage reporting changed in battery stats

tl;dr google's bad at relaying info to the user, nothing bad's happening with mobile network usage
good to know! thanks for the response

Yep, so if the phone battery were to drop 5% overall and Mobile Network showed 90% it would just be saying that almost all of that 5% was down to Mobile Network, really just illustrating how efficient everything else was...
you explained it better in fewer words. More people need to be aware of this because I see a lot of placebo/panic regarding this "issue".

Reactions: WibblyW

Notor1ouS-

Aug 20, 2010
Google Pixel 6
closing background apps does nothing.
it actually wastes more power, since your cpu and storage has to work more when you open your apps again.

youtube is full of clickbait and snake oil videos. they try anything to get clicks.

IF theres a badly optimized app which produces constant load, then it makes sense to close that one. some faceswap/social media apps or "zedge" are like that. even 9gag is constantly doing something.
-> for those apps: just turn off background data & set battery optimization to the max.
also disable GPS/sensors for that one app.

Vickems

Apr 21, 2022
closing background apps does nothing.
it actually wastes more power, since your cpu and storage has to work more when you open your apps again.

youtube is full of clickbait and snake oil videos. they try anything to get clicks.

IF theres a badly optimized app which produces constant load, then it makes sense to close that one. some faceswap/social media apps or "zedge" are like that. even 9gag is constantly doing something.
-> for those apps: just turn off background data & set battery optimization to the max.
well, not all videos are like that though.
at least some do tell the truth.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yep, so if the phone battery were to drop 5% overall and Mobile Network showed 90% it would just be saying that almost all of that 5% was down to Mobile Network, really just illustrating how efficient everything else was...
    with my normal phone usage I am ending up with about 30-40% at the end of the day. With my Pixel 5a I still got about 60% juice. I cannot complain. I've seen wild differences on youtube from others (both good and terrible).
    My battery life seems to be just fine.
    Mine seems fine, it's been idle more than anything and it'll probably be that way since I try not to use it too much. When I'm at work I can't really use my phone anyway, so I expect battery life to be strong.

I also have a battery app that monitors usage and health of the battery if anyone is interested.
    you explained it better in fewer words. More people need to be aware of this because I see a lot of placebo/panic regarding this "issue".
    Yep.

Bottom line is, if we're getting two days from an 80 percent charge be happy. No need to waste any of it with a battery monitoring app.