Question Battery Life

Search This thread

X-Flies

Oct 16, 2009
Charged it to 100%. Rebooted, slept 6h and it had 99% when I woke.

No flight mode, only AOD notification and DND.

Rebooted again before going for a walk, with gps on and listening podcast via Bluetooth phones for about an hour and lost around 5/6%. Another day this week, the same walk had lost around 20%.

I guess rebooting cleared some apps or processes that were working in the background.

Reactions: MuhammadZeeshan7

Kubis01

Sep 3, 2015
I think I got a problem causing drains. Drain starts at night and if I restart the phone in morning drain gets to normal level. So there is some process starting at night draining battery untill the restart.
If you use secirity app to start Scan for trash to delete on my phone it's always continue searching in loop without ending process as there is some bug in storage scanning in some apps files. This is what on my previous Xiaomi done in idle status during the night to check what files can be trashed. I guess this process is started every night in idle status to run on background and this bug causing this process to not end properly running in loop untill phone restart. This is likely causing this battery drain and looping is only caused by searching in some apps = not everyone got this problem.

Shadeslayer13

Jul 29, 2015
I think I got a problem causing drains. Drain starts at night and if I restart the phone in morning drain gets to normal level. So there is some process starting at night draining battery untill the restart.
If you use secirity app to start Scan for trash to delete on my phone it's always continue searching in loop without ending process as there is some bug in storage scanning in some apps files. This is what on my previous Xiaomi done in idle status during the night to check what files can be trashed. I guess this process is started every night in idle status to run on background and this bug causing this process to not end properly running in loop untill phone restart. This is likely causing this battery drain and looping is only caused by searching in some apps = not everyone got this problem.
I doubt that, cause I uninstalled the Cleaner apps and it still happens.

GranoTurc00

• Apr 16, 2021
    Xiaomi Poco F3
    For my use scenario this phone will last me over a day comfortably . You can shut off the AOD in certain hours and put it automatically in battery saving mode to reduce battery drain overnight. Also a full charge at 5W is around 6h long so you can charge it at night witout it being at 100% for a lot of time, this preserves battery life better than 33W charging. If you play some games it will probably get you to dinner. if you don't game you can easily stay overnight at a friend's house or going to a club without charging it before.

in my experience vibration wise is nearly as tight as a flagship but definitely weaker ( maybe beacause tthe phone is heavy)

Shadeslayer13

Jul 29, 2015
    In my experience, after unplugging the charger, the first 10% drops really fast for some reason but after that the drain is slow so please check the drain after some time has passed since unplugging. Also, I would recommend unlocking the bootloader and installing xiaomi.eu but doing so might void the warranty and you might not be able to return the phone if it actually is a faulty piece.
    So I'm thinking about installing the EU ROM if my battery issues continue with the global one. 2nd night again lost 10% battery on idle with aeroplane mode on. Now I have debloated it even more, and tonight I will charge to 100% before sleep and check in the morning what does BBS say.

But I have some questions about the EU ROM. I requested Bootloader unlock, which will take 7 days, so I have some time to decide :) First, what are the advantages of EU ROM compared to Global one? And 2nd, will OTA work for it or will I have to flash each version manually?

ApexPrime

• Firstly, xiaomi.eu is not the same as the eu rom variant. It is basically the chinese variant which has been debloated and modded by the xiaomi.eu team (which are not affiliated with xiaomi in any way). To answer your first question, i took the following text from the xiaomi.eu website:

Our ROMs features (Whats not in Global):
    Based on China Stable / Weekly builds (except POCOF1, HMNote6Pro, HMNote8T, HMNote9ProMax, HMNote9Pro_HMNote9S, HMNote9ProEU)
    Enabled search gesture (swipe up) on the desktop
    3way reboot menu (in dev settings)
    MIUI Contacts and Dialer
    Dark Mode (Night Mode) for all devices (In the dev settings except 9.x/10.x)
    Removed ads in MIUI system apps
    Face Unlock for all devices
    Vertical clock widget on lockscreen
    Steps counter in Assistant screen
    More shortcuts on left lockscreen
    Wake up gestures
    AI preloading option in MIUI Lab
    Fullscreen gestures
    Option to auto-expand first notification
    Notifications priority settings
    More edit options in Gallery app
    Enabled MiDrive in File Explorer
    Added landscape mode for SMS app
    Sunrise/Sunset in the weather app
    Google apps support integrated
    Removed 5GHz region restrictions
    Confirm dials from call logs
    Morning report on alarm at morning
    More apps supported for AOD notifications
    More styles for AOD screen
    Raise to wake gesture
    AOD notification received animation
    Default volume control stream toggle
    Tap fingerprint sensor to wake toggle
    More Camera features
    Double tap to lock screen
    Battery AI scenes
    Allowed disabling specific system apps
    Importing theme .mtz from zhuti.xiaomi.com via ThemeManager
    No useless Chinese bloatware apps
    More free RAM due to less background processes
    Unified flat style app icons for both system and 3rd party apps
    Advanced menu with color icons
    No any Chinese character under the full system
    Mi Video, Mi Music, Mi Browser: No any useless Chinese content
    No possibility to re-lock bootloader accidentally with flash any xiaomi.eu release
    Added real 27 languages translation made by Official MIUI Fansites and MIUI Fans
    Added EU T9 dialer support
    Added charging sound switch
    Added Screen-OFF animation
    Optimized GPS settings for EU
    Optimized Battery consumption
    Optimized RAM consumption
    Added 3D Touch to MI5S 3GB RAM version
    Added GSMalphabet into SMS app options
    Added more icons grid layout 4x5, 4x6, 4x7, 5x5, 5x6, 5x7 (depends on device)
    SafetyNet passed (Google Pay)
    Play Store Certified
    Deodexed
    Added automated tasks in Security app
    Added game speed booster
    Added erase module (magic elimination) to Gallery photo edit options
    Fixed low volume sound via headphone
    Charging screen
    And more, and more made by our 9 years MIUI mods experience.

For your second question, yes. You will have to flash the new firmware every time an update comes out. This wont be necessary after a working recovery for this phone comes out. Following link has the instructions to install and update xiaomi.eu for poco f3:

Reactions: CHGICEMAN

Shadeslayer13

Jul 29, 2015
    Firstly, xiaomi.eu is not the same as the eu rom variant. It is basically the chinese variant which has been debloated and modded by the xiaomi.eu team (which are not affiliated with xiaomi in any way). To answer your first question, i took the following text from the xiaomi.eu website:

For your second question, yes. You will have to flash the new firmware every time an update comes out. This wont be necessary after a working recovery for this phone comes out. Following link has the instructions to install and update xiaomi.eu for poco f3:
    Thanks, that sounds awesome. I will give it a try if I can't fix my battery issues in other ways. Maybe I just install it either way when my BL is unlocked in a week :)

Reactions: ApexPrime

Shadeslayer13

Jul 29, 2015
    So tonight lost 5% overnight, I'm attaching the photos from BBS. I think it all looks normal? Even in stock Battery app it now has only Phone Idle as the battery drain, and it isn't too steep. However 5% is still a bit high for me. It looks like WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS keep trying to connect every now and then despite Aeroplane mode?

Attachments

• 175643704_1905589299594739_2466380117600328624_n.jpg
      175643704_1905589299594739_2466380117600328624_n.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 88
    • 175894434_2754008301579792_8344056916072730289_n.jpg
      175894434_2754008301579792_8344056916072730289_n.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 87
    • 175895282_275997004187597_9034198969042357029_n.jpg
      175895282_275997004187597_9034198969042357029_n.jpg
      44.6 KB · Views: 87

ApexPrime

• When you are about to go to sleep, go to bbs, options, set custom marker. Then when you wake up, click on the drop down menu which says unplugged and select custom, so that it shows the drain from custom to current. Right now, it is incorrectly showing the drain from a day ago. 0.1%/hr is definitely a wrong figure. Do the above and then check which apps are draining the battery. Also, do keep in mind my previous post in which i said that the first 10% drains very fast in some cases, so try starting from 90%.

Mzanasi

Apr 19, 2021
    i noticed that the battery consumption of my little F3 is given to the Always-on display service, but my AOD is completely disabled. Some times the AOD service consume more than 20% I think there is a battery drain problem 🤔

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-19-14-43-28-842_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
      Screenshot_2021-04-19-14-43-28-842_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
      118.1 KB · Views: 104
    • Screenshot_2021-04-19-14-45-08-129_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
      Screenshot_2021-04-19-14-45-08-129_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
      140.2 KB · Views: 102

Shadeslayer13

Jul 29, 2015
    When you are about to go to sleep, go to bbs, options, set custom marker. Then when you wake up, click on the drop down menu which says unplugged and select custom, so that it shows the drain from custom to current. Right now, it is incorrectly showing the drain from a day ago. 0.1%/hr is definitely a wrong figure. Do the above and then check which apps are draining the battery. Also, do keep in mind my previous post in which i said that the first 10% drains very fast in some cases, so try starting from 90%.
    Ok, did that. Drained 8% this night, but nothing seems off in BBS. 99% of the time Deep sleep, and the only meaningful wakelocks are by the 3 PowerService. I guess it's just a bug and nothing to be done about it other than getting a better ROM.
    There is new stable global update to download. In details is notice: Night battery drain fix and Screen dimming fix 😀
    Link?

EDIT: He's right, I got a Global update via the updater app on the phone. 12.0.4.0 or something. Let's hope it fix the idle drain, 5-10% per night with literally everything off is just unacceptable.

Last edited:

nicky69100

Jul 26, 2017
    LYON
    Yeah!! I update 2 hours ago and it's amazing!!!! I lost only 2% of batterie in 2 hours with 10/15 minute of screen, 3 gmail account, whatsapp, miband with bluetooth, GPS, and 120Hz display!
    same for me, but outdoor max brightness is way lower than before in strong sunlight, whether manual or auto

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Well then we are already curious when your first ROM will come out!
      No draining here. Battery life could be better, but I use a (new) device a lot and I changed my charging behaviour (no more overnight charging) so hard to measure exactly but no high idle drain and can keep up during the day (even with the lockdown-whapsapp-videocalls for work)
      After some normal usage on 120Hz, 75% screen brightness.
      About 9% SOT and 0.2% idle which is not too bad on a stock rom.
      There is new stable global update to download. In details is notice: Night battery drain fix and Screen dimming fix 😀
      Yeah!! I update 2 hours ago and it's amazing!!!! I lost only 2% of batterie in 2 hours with 10/15 minute of screen, 3 gmail account, whatsapp, miband with bluetooth, GPS, and 120Hz display!
      12.05 solved sleep drain.I did turn off wifi scanning for all apps, debloated all xiaomi apps with xiaomi fastboot tool, battery optimised all apps but nothing helped with sleep drain till 12.05.Except sleep drain battery life was already great.Look troughout settings and turn off everything that seems ridiculous like all apps can scan and turn on off wifi and things like that.
      Phone arrived on Monday (26th) in UK but direct from AliExpress. It showed a system update and now says Global 12.0.5.0. Haven't unlocked the bootloader, it's just what came with it plus a standard update. First night seemed pretty good battery compared to what I'd read, but it was still updating lots of apps etc. Last night, it was on 99% when I unplugged it and it was still on 99% this morning, about 6-7 hours later. That was on WiFi all night with emails etc coming through.

I used it for about 5 minutes and it was still on 99% so I thought the battery display had crashed and rebooted the phone, which dropped it to 98%. Currently on 74% with 9.5hrs of idle and 2.5hrs of screen on. Very happy, especially compared to my 4yr old OP5 which was starting to struggle with the battery.

Only things I've done that could be seen as battery saving is changed to LTE as there's no 5G here at the moment. Display is at 120Hz and it's been connected to WiFi all the time.
      I see you are already the maintainer for the POCO F2 Pro build. It would be awesome if you could bring crDroid to the F3! Please keep us posted :)
      Yea I'm maintainer for F2 Pro, MI9 and axon7 but when F3 is passing the test (can resend within 30 days) and feels smooth to use I sure will be setting things up to get custom rom running.
      We'll see how things evolve.
      Nice better then expected, almost 10h....
      That is so much better than I expected. I wonder how far we can stretch the screen on time by removing all the bloatware or installing a custom ROM.

How much can we expect the battery to degrade over time? If it's 9,5 hours now, can we expect it to be ~7 after 2 years of use?
      Have bought mine since a couple of days (2 weeks waiting time) and intend to make the Offical crDroid for it and as expected this will improve drains too, especially idle which is worse on stock. Some YT vid mentioned a drop of 10% overnight where we can easily obtain ~0.3%/h idle drain.
      I'm really interested in the battery life of this F3 with his 4520mah.
      As I've seen some early reviews on YT they come to the conclusion that SOT rounds about 7h...
      Ofc the 120Hz drains a lot but compared to my F2 Pro with 4700mah (60Hz), I can easily get 14h SOT on average use.
      Point is that I'm rather disappointed by the SOT with this 4520mah battery even on 120Hz. I would have expected ~10h on 120Hz with average usage.

Would like to know your opinion on this.
      Well then we are already curious when your first ROM will come out!
      I don't think the panel supports variable/adaptive refresh rate.

Perhaps we'll just have to wait and see if the panel can do 90hz with a mod.
      Panel doesn't support variable for now but can be done on custom kernel/mods. Afaik no major problem on that.
      But a ~7h SOT with a running 120Hz on normal use and a 4520mah battery is a fairly bad result if you ask me.
      Lowering refresh rate to 90 and even 60 compromises the real value of this 120Hz screen which is one of the main reason why I would buy this well designed phone...
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone